ON a day otherwise dominated by rain, Driffield Town did enough to leapfrog opponents Acomb into top spot in the Hunters York & District Senior League.

The top-of-the-table clash at Kings Mill Road was the only game to survive the weather in the premier division.

Although the contest itself ended in a draw, Town took the lion's share of the points and knocked Acomb down to second.

Put in to bat, openers Alec Drury (73) and Grant Halder (43) put on a stand of 102 for hosts Driffield. After the visitors had fought back through Darcy O’Connor’s (3-48) three wickets, a late onslaught from Danny Broumpton (28 not out) and Mark Goddard (30no) added 62 in the final five overs, boosting the total to 213-4.

Joe Schofield responded with 46 and even a rapid-fire 66 from 47 balls from Joe Dale could not get the visitors close and the eventually finished on 154-4.

The only other game which came close to a conclusion saw bottom side Hull Zingari narrowly avoid a third straight defeat, losing nine wickets before the rain arrived to deny visitors Pickering a chance of victory.

Adam Sharman scored an unbeaten 101 in his side's total of 198-5, which included three wickets for Fergus Wilkinson (3-46), who then went on to make 30. Alongside Jack Story (31), Wilkinson provided the majority of the hosts’ resistance in the face of a determined visiting attack led by Dave Greenlay (5-35), who finished with five wickets.

Only 14 overs were possible at Norwood Park, Tim Smith scoring 30 of Beverley Town’s total of 54-0 against Studley Royal.

Even that was more play than was possible between Sheriff Hutton Bridge and Whitkirk, with the home side reaching 39-1 before play was abandoned, while the games at Easingwold and Malton & Old Malton saw no play at all.

Driffield Town II also dodged the worst of the weather to beat Bolton Percy in division one and, in doing so, record back-to-back victories for the first time this season.

The Kings Mill Road side went fourth with the win.

For the second week running, Bolton Percy opener Tom Atkinson (56) hit a half-century in a losing cause, this time contributing more than half his side's total of 103.

Harvey Wilkes took 3-36 for the visitors but the real damage was done by Owen Goldsworthy, whose five wickets cost just four runs.

Town's reply was not without its problems, though, the hosts losing five wickets and needing almost 36 overs to reach their target.

The only other game in the division to see any play at all took place at the aptly-named Fishpond Field where home side Carlton Towers had progressed to 33-0 off 11.2 overs before play was abandoned.