York City punished for poor finishing - Mills

York Press: York City goalkeeper Michael Ingham is heckled by the visiting Morecambe supporters after missing his kick and allowing Kevin Ellison to score in  an empty net and give his side a 2-1 lead. York City goalkeeper Michael Ingham is heckled by the visiting Morecambe supporters after missing his kick and allowing Kevin Ellison to score in an empty net and give his side a 2-1 lead.

YORK City manager Gary Mills believes poor finishing is blighting his team’s League Two campaign.

The Minstermen went down 4-1 at home to Morecambe on Saturday with Mills left reflecting on the failure of Paddy McLaughlin and Dan Parslow to take second-half chances when the scores were still level.

Jason Walker’s penalty had earlier cancelled out Lewis Alessandra’s 23rd-minute opening goal for the visitors.

But, after McLaughlin saw a 15-yard shot saved and a Parslow effort was cleared off the line by Kevin Ellison, Morecambe went on to secure an emphatic win.

Ellison profited from a Michael Ingham mistake on 74 minutes to put the Shrimps back in front.

Substitute Jack Redshaw then put the game beyond doubt with two late strikes and a disappointed Mills said: “The quality of our finishing has been our downfall this season and cost us the 4-1 scoreline that flattered them.

“At 1-1, we had two unbelievable chances to get the next goal but we did not take them and, at the level we are playing, if you don’t take your chances and you make mistakes, you get punished.”

Ingham’s error was compounded by more poor home play for Redshaw’s goals and, on his team’s defensive efforts, Mills added: “You can’t legislate for your ’keeper doing a complete air shot to go 2-1 down and their fourth goal when their lad got between our two centre-halves was diabolical.

Related links

“The last 20 minutes were awful because it was another game we should have got something out of.

“It was too easy for them to score and that’s disappointing.

“It was a bad day for us but we have to move on and I have to pick the right side to get us the right result at Wycombe on Saturday.”

Mills also defended his decision to throw centre-back Chris Smith forward for the last ten minutes with his team trailing 2-1, preferring his captain in attack to striker Jamie Reed who was left on the bench.

“When we are behind, Chris Smith does that well,” Mills said of his skipper’s attacking thrust.

“He gives us another option up there and wins flick-ons and I would do the same if I had to make the decision again.”

Comments (51)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:31pm Mon 4 Feb 13

redbluelion says...

What we need is a center forward who can bag a few goals..not one who can just hold the ball up and score a pen now and again..mill has got no idea how to sort this mess out its all down to him and the choices he makes,hes not very good at it..time to go mills.
What we need is a center forward who can bag a few goals..not one who can just hold the ball up and score a pen now and again..mill has got no idea how to sort this mess out its all down to him and the choices he makes,hes not very good at it..time to go mills. redbluelion
  • Score: 0

12:32pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Hamilton Red says...

Once again the imovable objects that are walker blair and smith all get to stay on the pitch for another 90mins while the only poacher at the club has to sit and watch from the bench yet again. Need a goal? Then why not take off paddy and bring on jamal at left back! Unbelievable. And mr mills if smithy is so good up top winning all these headers then why isnt this your first plan and why does it not smack of desperation and a clueless effort to snatch something, anything as long as it dosnt involve reedy. And if i see rodman adjusting his sleeves whilst running in on goal once more................
Once again the imovable objects that are walker blair and smith all get to stay on the pitch for another 90mins while the only poacher at the club has to sit and watch from the bench yet again. Need a goal? Then why not take off paddy and bring on jamal at left back! Unbelievable. And mr mills if smithy is so good up top winning all these headers then why isnt this your first plan and why does it not smack of desperation and a clueless effort to snatch something, anything as long as it dosnt involve reedy. And if i see rodman adjusting his sleeves whilst running in on goal once more................ Hamilton Red
  • Score: 0

12:40pm Mon 4 Feb 13

PhilTopping says...

I like Gary Mills.

However, there's a change in the wind. I heard more negativity towards Gary on Saturday then I've heard before. His Press piece on Parslow didn't help and his post match comments on Saturday will only make it worse. Gary has made his name in non-league football. This is his big chance, most people don't get given second chances at 50 years old.

He has to take responsibility. The side is one dimensional because of him. His attack is toothless mainly because of the tactics. It's his job to bolster and maintain confidence. And when he makes mistakes he must acknowledge them and not repeat them. I'm talking here about playing Smith upfront. It was a total failure and felt self-indulgent, when Jamie Reed was sat on the bench.

Gary needs to take a deep breath, gather his players together, have a team "heart to heart" and make changes.

Otherwise, I fear that Gary might just be heading straight back to non-league football. Either with York, or some other team.
I like Gary Mills. However, there's a change in the wind. I heard more negativity towards Gary on Saturday then I've heard before. His Press piece on Parslow didn't help and his post match comments on Saturday will only make it worse. Gary has made his name in non-league football. This is his big chance, most people don't get given second chances at 50 years old. He has to take responsibility. The side is one dimensional because of him. His attack is toothless mainly because of the tactics. It's his job to bolster and maintain confidence. And when he makes mistakes he must acknowledge them and not repeat them. I'm talking here about playing Smith upfront. It was a total failure and felt self-indulgent, when Jamie Reed was sat on the bench. Gary needs to take a deep breath, gather his players together, have a team "heart to heart" and make changes. Otherwise, I fear that Gary might just be heading straight back to non-league football. Either with York, or some other team. PhilTopping
  • Score: 0

12:48pm Mon 4 Feb 13

tallone says...

when we are crying out for a keith walwyn centre forward we sign someone who looked 5 ft
when we are crying out for a keith walwyn centre forward we sign someone who looked 5 ft tallone
  • Score: 0

12:51pm Mon 4 Feb 13

upthecity says...

where was Ben Everson on Saturday? why was Reedy on the bench when he had no intention of using him. the complacency around the club is worrying, city are on the slide. there is no point celebrating picking up draws on the road if we keep failing to win at home, its relegation form. city need plan B a big man up top, or go 442. i still have faith in millsy but we have too many short lightweight footballers who can't man it when they come up against physical sides who are fighting to stay the league.
where was Ben Everson on Saturday? why was Reedy on the bench when he had no intention of using him. the complacency around the club is worrying, city are on the slide. there is no point celebrating picking up draws on the road if we keep failing to win at home, its relegation form. city need plan B a big man up top, or go 442. i still have faith in millsy but we have too many short lightweight footballers who can't man it when they come up against physical sides who are fighting to stay the league. upthecity
  • Score: 0

12:59pm Mon 4 Feb 13

YorkCityLuke says...

upthecity wrote:
where was Ben Everson on Saturday? why was Reedy on the bench when he had no intention of using him. the complacency around the club is worrying, city are on the slide. there is no point celebrating picking up draws on the road if we keep failing to win at home, its relegation form. city need plan B a big man up top, or go 442. i still have faith in millsy but we have too many short lightweight footballers who can't man it when they come up against physical sides who are fighting to stay the league.
Agree with a lot of that, but as a statement of fact, it's not relegation form. We're ranked 18th in the form table at the moment, and our recent draws against Gillingham, Cheltenham and Aldershot (5th, 8th and 9th form respectively) are not so bad all things considered. Not making any excuses for Saturday, which was truly awful, but it's not as dire as all that just yet. 2 of the teams below us in the league table are also in worse form than us, as long as it stays like that we'll be ok.
[quote][p][bold]upthecity[/bold] wrote: where was Ben Everson on Saturday? why was Reedy on the bench when he had no intention of using him. the complacency around the club is worrying, city are on the slide. there is no point celebrating picking up draws on the road if we keep failing to win at home, its relegation form. city need plan B a big man up top, or go 442. i still have faith in millsy but we have too many short lightweight footballers who can't man it when they come up against physical sides who are fighting to stay the league.[/p][/quote]Agree with a lot of that, but as a statement of fact, it's not relegation form. We're ranked 18th in the form table at the moment, and our recent draws against Gillingham, Cheltenham and Aldershot (5th, 8th and 9th form respectively) are not so bad all things considered. Not making any excuses for Saturday, which was truly awful, but it's not as dire as all that just yet. 2 of the teams below us in the league table are also in worse form than us, as long as it stays like that we'll be ok. YorkCityLuke
  • Score: 0

1:02pm Mon 4 Feb 13

CityRealist says...

I can only assume that the people posting Mills out on here haven't been watching City for the last twenty years, including the awful ones in the Conference. The fickle nature of some fans is incredible - yes we're not playing at the top of our game, and our home form in particular is disappointing. But seriously to call for the head of the man who finally rescued us from non league obscurity, half way through our first season back in the football league is beyond a joke - fortunately I can only assume the Board (and the majority of City fans) do possess what many posters on here don't appear to - an ounce or two of common sense. Mills will get it right, he's proved that time and time again, and if we can consolidate our place in this league this season, and for a few more to come then that will be a job well done. Every week I still hear comments in the ground that we're playing too much 'tippy-tappy' stuff, or 'just get it forward'. That may have been a fine tactic in the 1950's but I'd rather we stick with what Mills has proved works now. I know football has become more and more short term focussed, but the memories of many City fans appear to be akin to that of goldfish...
I can only assume that the people posting Mills out on here haven't been watching City for the last twenty years, including the awful ones in the Conference. The fickle nature of some fans is incredible - yes we're not playing at the top of our game, and our home form in particular is disappointing. But seriously to call for the head of the man who finally rescued us from non league obscurity, half way through our first season back in the football league is beyond a joke - fortunately I can only assume the Board (and the majority of City fans) do possess what many posters on here don't appear to - an ounce or two of common sense. Mills will get it right, he's proved that time and time again, and if we can consolidate our place in this league this season, and for a few more to come then that will be a job well done. Every week I still hear comments in the ground that we're playing too much 'tippy-tappy' stuff, or 'just get it forward'. That may have been a fine tactic in the 1950's but I'd rather we stick with what Mills has proved works now. I know football has become more and more short term focussed, but the memories of many City fans appear to be akin to that of goldfish... CityRealist
  • Score: 0

1:04pm Mon 4 Feb 13

PhilTopping says...

YorkCityLuke wrote:
upthecity wrote:
where was Ben Everson on Saturday? why was Reedy on the bench when he had no intention of using him. the complacency around the club is worrying, city are on the slide. there is no point celebrating picking up draws on the road if we keep failing to win at home, its relegation form. city need plan B a big man up top, or go 442. i still have faith in millsy but we have too many short lightweight footballers who can't man it when they come up against physical sides who are fighting to stay the league.
Agree with a lot of that, but as a statement of fact, it's not relegation form. We're ranked 18th in the form table at the moment, and our recent draws against Gillingham, Cheltenham and Aldershot (5th, 8th and 9th form respectively) are not so bad all things considered. Not making any excuses for Saturday, which was truly awful, but it's not as dire as all that just yet. 2 of the teams below us in the league table are also in worse form than us, as long as it stays like that we'll be ok.
The problem is that as seasons enter the final third many of the bottom teams start a "win at all cost" approach and begin picking up points. There are no truly appalling teams in this league, all are capable of putting together a run and pulling themselves out. Note what's happened at Bristol Rovers and Plymouth's destruction of us earlier in the season, even Barnet have managed to improve matters recently.

If you take a close look at the bottom 6 teams currently, all of them could mount a renaissance and drag City into the whirlpool.
[quote][p][bold]YorkCityLuke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]upthecity[/bold] wrote: where was Ben Everson on Saturday? why was Reedy on the bench when he had no intention of using him. the complacency around the club is worrying, city are on the slide. there is no point celebrating picking up draws on the road if we keep failing to win at home, its relegation form. city need plan B a big man up top, or go 442. i still have faith in millsy but we have too many short lightweight footballers who can't man it when they come up against physical sides who are fighting to stay the league.[/p][/quote]Agree with a lot of that, but as a statement of fact, it's not relegation form. We're ranked 18th in the form table at the moment, and our recent draws against Gillingham, Cheltenham and Aldershot (5th, 8th and 9th form respectively) are not so bad all things considered. Not making any excuses for Saturday, which was truly awful, but it's not as dire as all that just yet. 2 of the teams below us in the league table are also in worse form than us, as long as it stays like that we'll be ok.[/p][/quote]The problem is that as seasons enter the final third many of the bottom teams start a "win at all cost" approach and begin picking up points. There are no truly appalling teams in this league, all are capable of putting together a run and pulling themselves out. Note what's happened at Bristol Rovers and Plymouth's destruction of us earlier in the season, even Barnet have managed to improve matters recently. If you take a close look at the bottom 6 teams currently, all of them could mount a renaissance and drag City into the whirlpool. PhilTopping
  • Score: 0

1:29pm Mon 4 Feb 13

roobarb85 says...

'Punished for poor finishing'

Couldn't agree more.

Who chose those strikers?

Who trains them every week?

Who plans the tactics?

Who chose not to bring in any realistic competition in the transfer window?

Who thought it more likely that a pushed-up centre half would score goals over a recognized poacher?

Obvious - the fans and the media.
'Punished for poor finishing' Couldn't agree more. Who chose those strikers? Who trains them every week? Who plans the tactics? Who chose not to bring in any realistic competition in the transfer window? Who thought it more likely that a pushed-up centre half would score goals over a recognized poacher? Obvious - the fans and the media. roobarb85
  • Score: 0

1:33pm Mon 4 Feb 13

TimYCFC says...

The type short-term thinking fans are calling for in sacking Mills has never helped anybody in football, it takes time to build success and single bad results (as horrific as Saturday was) just can't be used to inform long term decisions.

Also, people need to take a look at the numbers before commenting on how dreadful our form is. Yes, we are dropping a lot of points but so does everybody in the league. In our last 23 games we may have only won 6 games but we've still picked up 28 points which whilst it isn't great, it's not appalling either. 45 points tends to keep you in this division so we are on track to get well above that. Add in the fact that we are still getting used to this division and actually we are doing fine. Consolidation was surely this season's aim so why is everybody now so frustrated?
The type short-term thinking fans are calling for in sacking Mills has never helped anybody in football, it takes time to build success and single bad results (as horrific as Saturday was) just can't be used to inform long term decisions. Also, people need to take a look at the numbers before commenting on how dreadful our form is. Yes, we are dropping a lot of points but so does everybody in the league. In our last 23 games we may have only won 6 games but we've still picked up 28 points which whilst it isn't great, it's not appalling either. 45 points tends to keep you in this division so we are on track to get well above that. Add in the fact that we are still getting used to this division and actually we are doing fine. Consolidation was surely this season's aim so why is everybody now so frustrated? TimYCFC
  • Score: 0

1:38pm Mon 4 Feb 13

legend7 says...

Mills has lost the plot!! poor tactics and stubbornness will see us relgated this year.

we had more points after this many games in 2004!!

SACK HIM BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!!!!
Mills has lost the plot!! poor tactics and stubbornness will see us relgated this year. we had more points after this many games in 2004!! SACK HIM BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!!!! legend7
  • Score: 0

1:43pm Mon 4 Feb 13

OLD - HEAD says...

There is nothing at all wrong with a team using the passing game. But first of all - a) You have to be good at it,
b) There has to be a end product.

City just casually pass the ball among themselves until someone feels threatened, and then its hoofed.

Probably the most effective player on the field was Morecambes No 11 Kevin Ellison, a real journeyman with over 300 league appearances. The crowd hated him, and he loved winding them up, especially when he scored. City are crying out for a couple of players with his experience and work rate.
There is nothing at all wrong with a team using the passing game. But first of all - a) You have to be good at it, b) There has to be a end product. City just casually pass the ball among themselves until someone feels threatened, and then its hoofed. Probably the most effective player on the field was Morecambes No 11 Kevin Ellison, a real journeyman with over 300 league appearances. The crowd hated him, and he loved winding them up, especially when he scored. City are crying out for a couple of players with his experience and work rate. OLD - HEAD
  • Score: 0

2:19pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Koala says...

The Rollercoaster ride continues!
Why fix the defence when it isn't broken? We desperately need a couple of decent hold-up forwards to give us another option to get hold of the long ball when the midfield is driven backwards. Walker is not the type for this role, he has been ineffective since Boucaud left.
Must try 442 but the '2' must be the right type!
The Rollercoaster ride continues! Why fix the defence when it isn't broken? We desperately need a couple of decent hold-up forwards to give us another option to get hold of the long ball when the midfield is driven backwards. Walker is not the type for this role, he has been ineffective since Boucaud left. Must try 442 but the '2' must be the right type! Koala
  • Score: 0

2:27pm Mon 4 Feb 13

speaks99 says...

At the start of the season I would have taken a mid table finish. I bet many of you would have too. We are sitting in Mid Table. To call for Mills head for being in the position that most of us expected to be in is pretty sad really... Its not time to push the panic button yet.

And then you get a clown on here who thinks McGills aim is to get us relegated?? Beggars belief really.
At the start of the season I would have taken a mid table finish. I bet many of you would have too. We are sitting in Mid Table. To call for Mills head for being in the position that most of us expected to be in is pretty sad really... Its not time to push the panic button yet. And then you get a clown on here who thinks McGills aim is to get us relegated?? Beggars belief really. speaks99
  • Score: 0

2:34pm Mon 4 Feb 13

harry dowker says...

parslow should not be played at LB. he's a great player but a right footed player at LB does not work. if he did not rust fyfield to play there then he should have brought someone in in the transfer window.
Why did Mcgurk not play when had been doing so well before he got injured.

we need to bring someone in to push ingham because he has become to comfortable in that position and knows he will always be picked ahead of musslewhite.

kerr has not been the same player since coming back from injury and is costing us possession of the ball far too many times in midfield.

Finally is the striker issue. we do not have a goalscorer and the two guys he brings in are short again, haven't got a particularly good scoring record and have no experience in league 2. What was he doing playing smith up front.

Mills has lost it and if he can't sort it soon he needs to go before we get relegated!
parslow should not be played at LB. he's a great player but a right footed player at LB does not work. if he did not rust fyfield to play there then he should have brought someone in in the transfer window. Why did Mcgurk not play when had been doing so well before he got injured. we need to bring someone in to push ingham because he has become to comfortable in that position and knows he will always be picked ahead of musslewhite. kerr has not been the same player since coming back from injury and is costing us possession of the ball far too many times in midfield. Finally is the striker issue. we do not have a goalscorer and the two guys he brings in are short again, haven't got a particularly good scoring record and have no experience in league 2. What was he doing playing smith up front. Mills has lost it and if he can't sort it soon he needs to go before we get relegated! harry dowker
  • Score: 0

2:38pm Mon 4 Feb 13

harry dowker says...

harry dowker wrote:
parslow should not be played at LB. he's a great player but a right footed player at LB does not work. if he did not rust fyfield to play there then he should have brought someone in in the transfer window.
Why did Mcgurk not play when had been doing so well before he got injured.

we need to bring someone in to push ingham because he has become to comfortable in that position and knows he will always be picked ahead of musslewhite.

kerr has not been the same player since coming back from injury and is costing us possession of the ball far too many times in midfield.

Finally is the striker issue. we do not have a goalscorer and the two guys he brings in are short again, haven't got a particularly good scoring record and have no experience in league 2. What was he doing playing smith up front.

Mills has lost it and if he can't sort it soon he needs to go before we get relegated!
why not go for someone like damien reeves from altrincham who has experience of scoring goals and can leave on a free if it is to a league club
[quote][p][bold]harry dowker[/bold] wrote: parslow should not be played at LB. he's a great player but a right footed player at LB does not work. if he did not rust fyfield to play there then he should have brought someone in in the transfer window. Why did Mcgurk not play when had been doing so well before he got injured. we need to bring someone in to push ingham because he has become to comfortable in that position and knows he will always be picked ahead of musslewhite. kerr has not been the same player since coming back from injury and is costing us possession of the ball far too many times in midfield. Finally is the striker issue. we do not have a goalscorer and the two guys he brings in are short again, haven't got a particularly good scoring record and have no experience in league 2. What was he doing playing smith up front. Mills has lost it and if he can't sort it soon he needs to go before we get relegated![/p][/quote]why not go for someone like damien reeves from altrincham who has experience of scoring goals and can leave on a free if it is to a league club harry dowker
  • Score: 0

2:43pm Mon 4 Feb 13

harry dowker says...

http://www.youtube.c
om/watch?v=LKFtby4D5
04
http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=LKFtby4D5 04 harry dowker
  • Score: 0

2:44pm Mon 4 Feb 13

David York says...

Mills analysis of the match seems to me to be pretty sound. We could, probably should, have been 2-1 up before the Goalkeeping error.

The failure to bring on Reid was a bit baffling.

We did carve out some chances. A problem throughout the season has been that our good football has been undermined by some basic errors.

We were lucky on Saturday not to concede a goal in the opening five minutes. Whenever we got the ball we gave it away very cheaply either through a lack of control when receiving it or a misplaced pass.

Far too often Smith received the ball from Ingham, remained under no pressure but then made a relatively short pass to a marked player.

Positives from Saturday's game were the displays from Obeng and Rodman.

The main aim for this season should be to secure our place in the Division.
This is not the time to change either the basic style or the Manager. ,



For the crowd, or what was left of them, to boo at the final whistle was just silly.
Mills analysis of the match seems to me to be pretty sound. We could, probably should, have been 2-1 up before the Goalkeeping error. The failure to bring on Reid was a bit baffling. We did carve out some chances. A problem throughout the season has been that our good football has been undermined by some basic errors. We were lucky on Saturday not to concede a goal in the opening five minutes. Whenever we got the ball we gave it away very cheaply either through a lack of control when receiving it or a misplaced pass. Far too often Smith received the ball from Ingham, remained under no pressure but then made a relatively short pass to a marked player. Positives from Saturday's game were the displays from Obeng and Rodman. The main aim for this season should be to secure our place in the Division. This is not the time to change either the basic style or the Manager. , For the crowd, or what was left of them, to boo at the final whistle was just silly. David York
  • Score: 0

3:12pm Mon 4 Feb 13

bill bailey says...

TimYCFC wrote:
The type short-term thinking fans are calling for in sacking Mills has never helped anybody in football, it takes time to build success and single bad results (as horrific as Saturday was) just can't be used to inform long term decisions.

Also, people need to take a look at the numbers before commenting on how dreadful our form is. Yes, we are dropping a lot of points but so does everybody in the league. In our last 23 games we may have only won 6 games but we've still picked up 28 points which whilst it isn't great, it's not appalling either. 45 points tends to keep you in this division so we are on track to get well above that. Add in the fact that we are still getting used to this division and actually we are doing fine. Consolidation was surely this season's aim so why is everybody now so frustrated?
I can make figures dance the tango too.so what your saying is,we have picked up10points from the other17games.I think you might have have another look at your figures.I think
most of the comments on here are saying,is, the team is unbalanced,and GM.have blue eyed boys who retain their place come what may.if that is the case
he is courting trouble.and not doing his job,when you are boss you keep your distance,and leave the middle ground
to the coaches,is this happening? i dont
know,but from some of the comments
seems to indicate hes not being the Boss.
[quote][p][bold]TimYCFC[/bold] wrote: The type short-term thinking fans are calling for in sacking Mills has never helped anybody in football, it takes time to build success and single bad results (as horrific as Saturday was) just can't be used to inform long term decisions. Also, people need to take a look at the numbers before commenting on how dreadful our form is. Yes, we are dropping a lot of points but so does everybody in the league. In our last 23 games we may have only won 6 games but we've still picked up 28 points which whilst it isn't great, it's not appalling either. 45 points tends to keep you in this division so we are on track to get well above that. Add in the fact that we are still getting used to this division and actually we are doing fine. Consolidation was surely this season's aim so why is everybody now so frustrated?[/p][/quote]I can make figures dance the tango too.so what your saying is,we have picked up10points from the other17games.I think you might have have another look at your figures.I think most of the comments on here are saying,is, the team is unbalanced,and GM.have blue eyed boys who retain their place come what may.if that is the case he is courting trouble.and not doing his job,when you are boss you keep your distance,and leave the middle ground to the coaches,is this happening? i dont know,but from some of the comments seems to indicate hes not being the Boss. bill bailey
  • Score: 0

3:14pm Mon 4 Feb 13

AB- says...

Why blame Paddy and Danny for missing chances and indicating this cost us the game, what the heck are Blair, Rodman and Walkeron the park for, they have been missing chances week after week but no fault is is passed in their direction Time for a change up front, Blair ias not good enough for this level, Rodman huffs and puffs,Walker is not strong enough, falls over far to easily give the others a chance now
Why blame Paddy and Danny for missing chances and indicating this cost us the game, what the heck are Blair, Rodman and Walkeron the park for, they have been missing chances week after week but no fault is is passed in their direction Time for a change up front, Blair ias not good enough for this level, Rodman huffs and puffs,Walker is not strong enough, falls over far to easily give the others a chance now AB-
  • Score: 0

3:25pm Mon 4 Feb 13

redbluelion says...

reed in and walker out...walkers had his chance now...time for change and the time is now..
reed in and walker out...walkers had his chance now...time for change and the time is now.. redbluelion
  • Score: 0

3:28pm Mon 4 Feb 13

YO1 says...

We actually played well until the 70th minute. Inghams mistake, two crucial misses then the disastrous decision to move Smith out of defence cost us. We were very good at Gillingham last week and haven't been steamrollered by anyone until the last 20 minutes on Saturday.

The biggest for me was seeing our new centre forward standing five foot tall with balls whistling over his head like they have for Walker all season. Everson is the same size, what's that all about?

Nevertheless I won't be joining the captain Mainwaring panic brigade and calling for Mills to be sacked. A new manager is no guarantee if success but is guaranteed to cost us a fortune in paying off contracts.

Don't bother calling me a happy clapper either, as I didn't clap much on Saturday.
We actually played well until the 70th minute. Inghams mistake, two crucial misses then the disastrous decision to move Smith out of defence cost us. We were very good at Gillingham last week and haven't been steamrollered by anyone until the last 20 minutes on Saturday. The biggest for me was seeing our new centre forward standing five foot tall with balls whistling over his head like they have for Walker all season. Everson is the same size, what's that all about? Nevertheless I won't be joining the captain Mainwaring panic brigade and calling for Mills to be sacked. A new manager is no guarantee if success but is guaranteed to cost us a fortune in paying off contracts. Don't bother calling me a happy clapper either, as I didn't clap much on Saturday. YO1
  • Score: 0

4:26pm Mon 4 Feb 13

roobarb85 says...

Of course we'd be happy with a mid table position. The thing is, we thought we'd have to work hard to improve to achieve that.

Since the team played so well somewhat earlier in the season vs Oxford, Rochdale, Bradford, Port Vale means that the fact we are declining into a mid table position so worrying.

When you add that to the inability to beat a 10-man team at home, not beating the league's bottom side after 3 attempts and poor performances vs poor teams like Plymouth and Morecambe, that's where the concern is coming from.

Despite shockers vs the like of Alfreton last year, you could see where the improvement was coming from. In the last 2 months I can't see any such signs...and in response to an earlier poster, I think more like 51 points rather than 45 will be needed this year as it's such a tight division.
Of course we'd be happy with a mid table position. The thing is, we thought we'd have to work hard to improve to achieve that. Since the team played so well somewhat earlier in the season vs Oxford, Rochdale, Bradford, Port Vale means that the fact we are declining into a mid table position so worrying. When you add that to the inability to beat a 10-man team at home, not beating the league's bottom side after 3 attempts and poor performances vs poor teams like Plymouth and Morecambe, that's where the concern is coming from. Despite shockers vs the like of Alfreton last year, you could see where the improvement was coming from. In the last 2 months I can't see any such signs...and in response to an earlier poster, I think more like 51 points rather than 45 will be needed this year as it's such a tight division. roobarb85
  • Score: 0

4:30pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Phil, Leeds says...

YorkCityLuke wrote:
upthecity wrote:
where was Ben Everson on Saturday? why was Reedy on the bench when he had no intention of using him. the complacency around the club is worrying, city are on the slide. there is no point celebrating picking up draws on the road if we keep failing to win at home, its relegation form. city need plan B a big man up top, or go 442. i still have faith in millsy but we have too many short lightweight footballers who can't man it when they come up against physical sides who are fighting to stay the league.
Agree with a lot of that, but as a statement of fact, it's not relegation form. We're ranked 18th in the form table at the moment, and our recent draws against Gillingham, Cheltenham and Aldershot (5th, 8th and 9th form respectively) are not so bad all things considered. Not making any excuses for Saturday, which was truly awful, but it's not as dire as all that just yet. 2 of the teams below us in the league table are also in worse form than us, as long as it stays like that we'll be ok.
That analysis doesn't fill me with confidence!
[quote][p][bold]YorkCityLuke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]upthecity[/bold] wrote: where was Ben Everson on Saturday? why was Reedy on the bench when he had no intention of using him. the complacency around the club is worrying, city are on the slide. there is no point celebrating picking up draws on the road if we keep failing to win at home, its relegation form. city need plan B a big man up top, or go 442. i still have faith in millsy but we have too many short lightweight footballers who can't man it when they come up against physical sides who are fighting to stay the league.[/p][/quote]Agree with a lot of that, but as a statement of fact, it's not relegation form. We're ranked 18th in the form table at the moment, and our recent draws against Gillingham, Cheltenham and Aldershot (5th, 8th and 9th form respectively) are not so bad all things considered. Not making any excuses for Saturday, which was truly awful, but it's not as dire as all that just yet. 2 of the teams below us in the league table are also in worse form than us, as long as it stays like that we'll be ok.[/p][/quote]That analysis doesn't fill me with confidence! Phil, Leeds
  • Score: 0

4:43pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Phil, Leeds says...

CityRealist wrote:
I can only assume that the people posting Mills out on here haven't been watching City for the last twenty years, including the awful ones in the Conference. The fickle nature of some fans is incredible - yes we're not playing at the top of our game, and our home form in particular is disappointing. But seriously to call for the head of the man who finally rescued us from non league obscurity, half way through our first season back in the football league is beyond a joke - fortunately I can only assume the Board (and the majority of City fans) do possess what many posters on here don't appear to - an ounce or two of common sense. Mills will get it right, he's proved that time and time again, and if we can consolidate our place in this league this season, and for a few more to come then that will be a job well done. Every week I still hear comments in the ground that we're playing too much 'tippy-tappy' stuff, or 'just get it forward'. That may have been a fine tactic in the 1950's but I'd rather we stick with what Mills has proved works now. I know football has become more and more short term focussed, but the memories of many City fans appear to be akin to that of goldfish...
Look, we're all extremely grateful to Gary Mills for getting us back into the League. But the alarm bells are ringing now and he needs a change of tactics at home. If his 451 is so effective why does he always go 442 (albeit with the wrong personnel) when we are losing with 30 minutes to go? The fact is we've won just 4 times from 17 home games and that is just not good enough.
The defence has been mostly alright this season so what does he do? Brings in more defenders to change it around and plays his centre half up front - bizarre!
[quote][p][bold]CityRealist[/bold] wrote: I can only assume that the people posting Mills out on here haven't been watching City for the last twenty years, including the awful ones in the Conference. The fickle nature of some fans is incredible - yes we're not playing at the top of our game, and our home form in particular is disappointing. But seriously to call for the head of the man who finally rescued us from non league obscurity, half way through our first season back in the football league is beyond a joke - fortunately I can only assume the Board (and the majority of City fans) do possess what many posters on here don't appear to - an ounce or two of common sense. Mills will get it right, he's proved that time and time again, and if we can consolidate our place in this league this season, and for a few more to come then that will be a job well done. Every week I still hear comments in the ground that we're playing too much 'tippy-tappy' stuff, or 'just get it forward'. That may have been a fine tactic in the 1950's but I'd rather we stick with what Mills has proved works now. I know football has become more and more short term focussed, but the memories of many City fans appear to be akin to that of goldfish...[/p][/quote]Look, we're all extremely grateful to Gary Mills for getting us back into the League. But the alarm bells are ringing now and he needs a change of tactics at home. If his 451 is so effective why does he always go 442 (albeit with the wrong personnel) when we are losing with 30 minutes to go? The fact is we've won just 4 times from 17 home games and that is just not good enough. The defence has been mostly alright this season so what does he do? Brings in more defenders to change it around and plays his centre half up front - bizarre! Phil, Leeds
  • Score: 0

5:10pm Mon 4 Feb 13

openallhours says...

Hamilton Red wrote:
Once again the imovable objects that are walker blair and smith all get to stay on the pitch for another 90mins while the only poacher at the club has to sit and watch from the bench yet again. Need a goal? Then why not take off paddy and bring on jamal at left back! Unbelievable. And mr mills if smithy is so good up top winning all these headers then why isnt this your first plan and why does it not smack of desperation and a clueless effort to snatch something, anything as long as it dosnt involve reedy. And if i see rodman adjusting his sleeves whilst running in on goal once more................
You noticed the sleeve thing as well! In all the years I've played and watched football, I've never seen that before.

Rodman's a bad joke and Mills deserves all of the criticism he's getting on here. I'll bet Curtis Obeng is thinking to himself 'what the **** have I come here for?'

As other posters have mentioned, Michael Rankine could do a very good job for us as a hold up and knock down man.
[quote][p][bold]Hamilton Red[/bold] wrote: Once again the imovable objects that are walker blair and smith all get to stay on the pitch for another 90mins while the only poacher at the club has to sit and watch from the bench yet again. Need a goal? Then why not take off paddy and bring on jamal at left back! Unbelievable. And mr mills if smithy is so good up top winning all these headers then why isnt this your first plan and why does it not smack of desperation and a clueless effort to snatch something, anything as long as it dosnt involve reedy. And if i see rodman adjusting his sleeves whilst running in on goal once more................[/p][/quote]You noticed the sleeve thing as well! In all the years I've played and watched football, I've never seen that before. Rodman's a bad joke and Mills deserves all of the criticism he's getting on here. I'll bet Curtis Obeng is thinking to himself 'what the **** have I come here for?' As other posters have mentioned, Michael Rankine could do a very good job for us as a hold up and knock down man. openallhours
  • Score: 0

5:12pm Mon 4 Feb 13

duffy says...

Christ I was always abused for pointing out our failings and some of the Mills decisions and I wonder how many of those posters are now calling for Mills to go. The guy got us promoted, he at least deserves to see the season out surely.?
Christ I was always abused for pointing out our failings and some of the Mills decisions and I wonder how many of those posters are now calling for Mills to go. The guy got us promoted, he at least deserves to see the season out surely.? duffy
  • Score: 0

6:03pm Mon 4 Feb 13

YorkCityLuke says...

duffy wrote:
Christ I was always abused for pointing out our failings and some of the Mills decisions and I wonder how many of those posters are now calling for Mills to go. The guy got us promoted, he at least deserves to see the season out surely.?
I think common sense might be wasted on this particular thread of conversation, Duffy. And I'm not sure many of the posters who are calling for Mills to go were even following City in the Conference days...
[quote][p][bold]duffy[/bold] wrote: Christ I was always abused for pointing out our failings and some of the Mills decisions and I wonder how many of those posters are now calling for Mills to go. The guy got us promoted, he at least deserves to see the season out surely.?[/p][/quote]I think common sense might be wasted on this particular thread of conversation, Duffy. And I'm not sure many of the posters who are calling for Mills to go were even following City in the Conference days... YorkCityLuke
  • Score: 0

6:35pm Mon 4 Feb 13

bartsimmo says...

CityRealist wrote:
I can only assume that the people posting Mills out on here haven't been watching City for the last twenty years, including the awful ones in the Conference. The fickle nature of some fans is incredible - yes we're not playing at the top of our game, and our home form in particular is disappointing. But seriously to call for the head of the man who finally rescued us from non league obscurity, half way through our first season back in the football league is beyond a joke - fortunately I can only assume the Board (and the majority of City fans) do possess what many posters on here don't appear to - an ounce or two of common sense. Mills will get it right, he's proved that time and time again, and if we can consolidate our place in this league this season, and for a few more to come then that will be a job well done. Every week I still hear comments in the ground that we're playing too much 'tippy-tappy' stuff, or 'just get it forward'. That may have been a fine tactic in the 1950's but I'd rather we stick with what Mills has proved works now. I know football has become more and more short term focussed, but the memories of many City fans appear to be akin to that of goldfish...
And you can eat them words if Mills gets us relegated because that is becoming more and more of a reality as we well know from both of our previous relegations. To the conference free fall after christmas and when we fellinto league two before we were scrapping out games to succumb on the final day to be relegated. Spooky that the latter we lost out to Wycombe!
So what would you rather change to steady the ship or stick with someone just because he got us up and he struggled in football league before???
He was very lucky with things last season this season he has not got the same luck against better oppositions!
[quote][p][bold]CityRealist[/bold] wrote: I can only assume that the people posting Mills out on here haven't been watching City for the last twenty years, including the awful ones in the Conference. The fickle nature of some fans is incredible - yes we're not playing at the top of our game, and our home form in particular is disappointing. But seriously to call for the head of the man who finally rescued us from non league obscurity, half way through our first season back in the football league is beyond a joke - fortunately I can only assume the Board (and the majority of City fans) do possess what many posters on here don't appear to - an ounce or two of common sense. Mills will get it right, he's proved that time and time again, and if we can consolidate our place in this league this season, and for a few more to come then that will be a job well done. Every week I still hear comments in the ground that we're playing too much 'tippy-tappy' stuff, or 'just get it forward'. That may have been a fine tactic in the 1950's but I'd rather we stick with what Mills has proved works now. I know football has become more and more short term focussed, but the memories of many City fans appear to be akin to that of goldfish...[/p][/quote]And you can eat them words if Mills gets us relegated because that is becoming more and more of a reality as we well know from both of our previous relegations. To the conference free fall after christmas and when we fellinto league two before we were scrapping out games to succumb on the final day to be relegated. Spooky that the latter we lost out to Wycombe! So what would you rather change to steady the ship or stick with someone just because he got us up and he struggled in football league before??? He was very lucky with things last season this season he has not got the same luck against better oppositions! bartsimmo
  • Score: 0

7:11pm Mon 4 Feb 13

YorkCityLuke says...

bartsimmo wrote:
CityRealist wrote:
I can only assume that the people posting Mills out on here haven't been watching City for the last twenty years, including the awful ones in the Conference. The fickle nature of some fans is incredible - yes we're not playing at the top of our game, and our home form in particular is disappointing. But seriously to call for the head of the man who finally rescued us from non league obscurity, half way through our first season back in the football league is beyond a joke - fortunately I can only assume the Board (and the majority of City fans) do possess what many posters on here don't appear to - an ounce or two of common sense. Mills will get it right, he's proved that time and time again, and if we can consolidate our place in this league this season, and for a few more to come then that will be a job well done. Every week I still hear comments in the ground that we're playing too much 'tippy-tappy' stuff, or 'just get it forward'. That may have been a fine tactic in the 1950's but I'd rather we stick with what Mills has proved works now. I know football has become more and more short term focussed, but the memories of many City fans appear to be akin to that of goldfish...
And you can eat them words if Mills gets us relegated because that is becoming more and more of a reality as we well know from both of our previous relegations. To the conference free fall after christmas and when we fellinto league two before we were scrapping out games to succumb on the final day to be relegated. Spooky that the latter we lost out to Wycombe!
So what would you rather change to steady the ship or stick with someone just because he got us up and he struggled in football league before???
He was very lucky with things last season this season he has not got the same luck against better oppositions!
Saying he was lucky is nonsense I'm afraid. We were promoted on merit, don't play down our only real achievement for decades just to make a pariah of a manager you don't like (for some reason).
[quote][p][bold]bartsimmo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CityRealist[/bold] wrote: I can only assume that the people posting Mills out on here haven't been watching City for the last twenty years, including the awful ones in the Conference. The fickle nature of some fans is incredible - yes we're not playing at the top of our game, and our home form in particular is disappointing. But seriously to call for the head of the man who finally rescued us from non league obscurity, half way through our first season back in the football league is beyond a joke - fortunately I can only assume the Board (and the majority of City fans) do possess what many posters on here don't appear to - an ounce or two of common sense. Mills will get it right, he's proved that time and time again, and if we can consolidate our place in this league this season, and for a few more to come then that will be a job well done. Every week I still hear comments in the ground that we're playing too much 'tippy-tappy' stuff, or 'just get it forward'. That may have been a fine tactic in the 1950's but I'd rather we stick with what Mills has proved works now. I know football has become more and more short term focussed, but the memories of many City fans appear to be akin to that of goldfish...[/p][/quote]And you can eat them words if Mills gets us relegated because that is becoming more and more of a reality as we well know from both of our previous relegations. To the conference free fall after christmas and when we fellinto league two before we were scrapping out games to succumb on the final day to be relegated. Spooky that the latter we lost out to Wycombe! So what would you rather change to steady the ship or stick with someone just because he got us up and he struggled in football league before??? He was very lucky with things last season this season he has not got the same luck against better oppositions![/p][/quote]Saying he was lucky is nonsense I'm afraid. We were promoted on merit, don't play down our only real achievement for decades just to make a pariah of a manager you don't like (for some reason). YorkCityLuke
  • Score: 0

8:56pm Mon 4 Feb 13

YO1 says...

This forum gets more like Luton Outlaws website every week. Whenever we lose the usual cronies come out of the woodwork calling for the manager to be sacked. Whenever we get a credible result like last week, we never hear a thing from them.
This forum gets more like Luton Outlaws website every week. Whenever we lose the usual cronies come out of the woodwork calling for the manager to be sacked. Whenever we get a credible result like last week, we never hear a thing from them. YO1
  • Score: 0

9:01pm Mon 4 Feb 13

barcooter says...

With all the talk of cr*p tactics/players/mana
ger I'll point out what I said weeks ago, there are only 4 teams in the league have lost fewer games.
If we can work out how to score we will finish the season in the playoffs.
With all the talk of cr*p tactics/players/mana ger I'll point out what I said weeks ago, there are only 4 teams in the league have lost fewer games. If we can work out how to score we will finish the season in the playoffs. barcooter
  • Score: 0

9:30pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Helliwell's Not a Donkey says...

I can't help noticing the earlier Mills out posts have been removed, I wonder who by? Anyway, after reading all the posts it seems to me that alot of us are worried about slipping out the league again, alot of us got caught up in the play-off/promotion to league 1 bandwagon and the realistics who want mid-table then start to build. I'm a realistic but if we lose our next to games I will be starting to worry.

The main thing what peeves me about our tatics is when we get over the half-way line we seem to stop go back the hoof it up for Walker to end up on his backside. We need someone to play it forward to traditional wingers to take to the by-line and whip it in for the strikers to reap their rewards. I remember it used to be Kiely rolls out to McMillan/Hall down the line to McCarthy/Canham who would cross it for Barnes/Blackstone, goal easy. You would have Pepper and Swann in the middle of the park scaring the s**t out the opposistion. We all seem to want to play like Barcelona.

Oh dear Wycombe have scored against Gillingham, thats not good for us.
I can't help noticing the earlier Mills out posts have been removed, I wonder who by? Anyway, after reading all the posts it seems to me that alot of us are worried about slipping out the league again, alot of us got caught up in the play-off/promotion to league 1 bandwagon and the realistics who want mid-table then start to build. I'm a realistic but if we lose our next to games I will be starting to worry. The main thing what peeves me about our tatics is when we get over the half-way line we seem to stop go back the hoof it up for Walker to end up on his backside. We need someone to play it forward to traditional wingers to take to the by-line and whip it in for the strikers to reap their rewards. I remember it used to be Kiely rolls out to McMillan/Hall down the line to McCarthy/Canham who would cross it for Barnes/Blackstone, goal easy. You would have Pepper and Swann in the middle of the park scaring the s**t out the opposistion. We all seem to want to play like Barcelona. Oh dear Wycombe have scored against Gillingham, thats not good for us. Helliwell's Not a Donkey
  • Score: 0

9:53pm Mon 4 Feb 13

skilly says...

CityRealist wrote:
I can only assume that the people posting Mills out on here haven't been watching City for the last twenty years, including the awful ones in the Conference. The fickle nature of some fans is incredible - yes we're not playing at the top of our game, and our home form in particular is disappointing. But seriously to call for the head of the man who finally rescued us from non league obscurity, half way through our first season back in the football league is beyond a joke - fortunately I can only assume the Board (and the majority of City fans) do possess what many posters on here don't appear to - an ounce or two of common sense. Mills will get it right, he's proved that time and time again, and if we can consolidate our place in this league this season, and for a few more to come then that will be a job well done. Every week I still hear comments in the ground that we're playing too much 'tippy-tappy' stuff, or 'just get it forward'. That may have been a fine tactic in the 1950's but I'd rather we stick with what Mills has proved works now. I know football has become more and more short term focussed, but the memories of many City fans appear to be akin to that of goldfish...
Well said. Lets silence these knee-jerkers. 3 points on Saturday please
[quote][p][bold]CityRealist[/bold] wrote: I can only assume that the people posting Mills out on here haven't been watching City for the last twenty years, including the awful ones in the Conference. The fickle nature of some fans is incredible - yes we're not playing at the top of our game, and our home form in particular is disappointing. But seriously to call for the head of the man who finally rescued us from non league obscurity, half way through our first season back in the football league is beyond a joke - fortunately I can only assume the Board (and the majority of City fans) do possess what many posters on here don't appear to - an ounce or two of common sense. Mills will get it right, he's proved that time and time again, and if we can consolidate our place in this league this season, and for a few more to come then that will be a job well done. Every week I still hear comments in the ground that we're playing too much 'tippy-tappy' stuff, or 'just get it forward'. That may have been a fine tactic in the 1950's but I'd rather we stick with what Mills has proved works now. I know football has become more and more short term focussed, but the memories of many City fans appear to be akin to that of goldfish...[/p][/quote]Well said. Lets silence these knee-jerkers. 3 points on Saturday please skilly
  • Score: 0

10:03pm Mon 4 Feb 13

YoRkIe59 says...

up to a point i,d agree with you duffy on Mills surely at least being allowed to see this season out,but just because he got us up he dos,nt have a divine right to take us back down again.Like everyone else i hope we pull things round but as we have experienced to our cost before if a team go,s into freefall this time of year,well weve been there before havnt we.one win and suddenley things look miles better,i just desperately hope it comes soon.
up to a point i,d agree with you duffy on Mills surely at least being allowed to see this season out,but just because he got us up he dos,nt have a divine right to take us back down again.Like everyone else i hope we pull things round but as we have experienced to our cost before if a team go,s into freefall this time of year,well weve been there before havnt we.one win and suddenley things look miles better,i just desperately hope it comes soon. YoRkIe59
  • Score: 0

10:12pm Mon 4 Feb 13

johnboy2882 says...

i see wycombe have won now 18th 3 places above drop zone
i see wycombe have won now 18th 3 places above drop zone johnboy2882
  • Score: 0

10:12pm Mon 4 Feb 13

johnboy2882 says...

i see wycombe have won now 18th 3 places above drop zone
i see wycombe have won now 18th 3 places above drop zone johnboy2882
  • Score: 0

10:22pm Mon 4 Feb 13

henleazeyorkie says...

johnboy2882 wrote:
i see wycombe have won now 18th 3 places above drop zone
Splitting hairs, but I make it 5 places above the drop zone (unless I'm missing something......)
[quote][p][bold]johnboy2882[/bold] wrote: i see wycombe have won now 18th 3 places above drop zone[/p][/quote]Splitting hairs, but I make it 5 places above the drop zone (unless I'm missing something......) henleazeyorkie
  • Score: 0

10:40pm Mon 4 Feb 13

uhtred says...

openallhours wrote:
Hamilton Red wrote:
Once again the imovable objects that are walker blair and smith all get to stay on the pitch for another 90mins while the only poacher at the club has to sit and watch from the bench yet again. Need a goal? Then why not take off paddy and bring on jamal at left back! Unbelievable. And mr mills if smithy is so good up top winning all these headers then why isnt this your first plan and why does it not smack of desperation and a clueless effort to snatch something, anything as long as it dosnt involve reedy. And if i see rodman adjusting his sleeves whilst running in on goal once more................
You noticed the sleeve thing as well! In all the years I've played and watched football, I've never seen that before.

Rodman's a bad joke and Mills deserves all of the criticism he's getting on here. I'll bet Curtis Obeng is thinking to himself 'what the **** have I come here for?'

As other posters have mentioned, Michael Rankine could do a very good job for us as a hold up and knock down man.
Rankine hold up and knock down, having a laugh are we, he could not bring a ball under control if it was static,!
[quote][p][bold]openallhours[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hamilton Red[/bold] wrote: Once again the imovable objects that are walker blair and smith all get to stay on the pitch for another 90mins while the only poacher at the club has to sit and watch from the bench yet again. Need a goal? Then why not take off paddy and bring on jamal at left back! Unbelievable. And mr mills if smithy is so good up top winning all these headers then why isnt this your first plan and why does it not smack of desperation and a clueless effort to snatch something, anything as long as it dosnt involve reedy. And if i see rodman adjusting his sleeves whilst running in on goal once more................[/p][/quote]You noticed the sleeve thing as well! In all the years I've played and watched football, I've never seen that before. Rodman's a bad joke and Mills deserves all of the criticism he's getting on here. I'll bet Curtis Obeng is thinking to himself 'what the **** have I come here for?' As other posters have mentioned, Michael Rankine could do a very good job for us as a hold up and knock down man.[/p][/quote]Rankine hold up and knock down, having a laugh are we, he could not bring a ball under control if it was static,! uhtred
  • Score: 0

10:52pm Mon 4 Feb 13

ADAMCUTHBERT says...

Gillingham 0-1 Wycombe! Fear the worst for Sat!

Prove me wrong City!
Gillingham 0-1 Wycombe! Fear the worst for Sat! Prove me wrong City! ADAMCUTHBERT
  • Score: 0

3:50am Tue 5 Feb 13

pip007 says...



OK, now I'm worried.
[Gary Mills believes poor finishing is blighting his team’s League Two campaign] OK, now I'm worried. pip007
  • Score: 0

9:30am Tue 5 Feb 13

Tug job says...

YO1 wrote:
This forum gets more like Luton Outlaws website every week. Whenever we lose the usual cronies come out of the woodwork calling for the manager to be sacked. Whenever we get a credible result like last week, we never hear a thing from them.
I think that's because quite a few Luton fans post on here to wind City "fans" up - having read some of the nonsense posted above it would appear with some success. The fact that Wycombe beat Gillingham away does not make our task on Saturday any more or less difficult - GIllingham have thrashed several times higher in the table than us but we can count ourselves slightly unlucky not to have taken all three points.
[quote][p][bold]YO1[/bold] wrote: This forum gets more like Luton Outlaws website every week. Whenever we lose the usual cronies come out of the woodwork calling for the manager to be sacked. Whenever we get a credible result like last week, we never hear a thing from them.[/p][/quote]I think that's because quite a few Luton fans post on here to wind City "fans" up - having read some of the nonsense posted above it would appear with some success. The fact that Wycombe beat Gillingham away does not make our task on Saturday any more or less difficult - GIllingham have thrashed several times higher in the table than us but we can count ourselves slightly unlucky not to have taken all three points. Tug job
  • Score: 0

9:30am Tue 5 Feb 13

openallhours says...

uhtred wrote:
openallhours wrote:
Hamilton Red wrote:
Once again the imovable objects that are walker blair and smith all get to stay on the pitch for another 90mins while the only poacher at the club has to sit and watch from the bench yet again. Need a goal? Then why not take off paddy and bring on jamal at left back! Unbelievable. And mr mills if smithy is so good up top winning all these headers then why isnt this your first plan and why does it not smack of desperation and a clueless effort to snatch something, anything as long as it dosnt involve reedy. And if i see rodman adjusting his sleeves whilst running in on goal once more................
You noticed the sleeve thing as well! In all the years I've played and watched football, I've never seen that before.

Rodman's a bad joke and Mills deserves all of the criticism he's getting on here. I'll bet Curtis Obeng is thinking to himself 'what the **** have I come here for?'

As other posters have mentioned, Michael Rankine could do a very good job for us as a hold up and knock down man.
Rankine hold up and knock down, having a laugh are we, he could not bring a ball under control if it was static,!
All you know about the current and past teams is what you read in the press. Try getting yerself to a few games and you'll see how bad it is!
[quote][p][bold]uhtred[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]openallhours[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hamilton Red[/bold] wrote: Once again the imovable objects that are walker blair and smith all get to stay on the pitch for another 90mins while the only poacher at the club has to sit and watch from the bench yet again. Need a goal? Then why not take off paddy and bring on jamal at left back! Unbelievable. And mr mills if smithy is so good up top winning all these headers then why isnt this your first plan and why does it not smack of desperation and a clueless effort to snatch something, anything as long as it dosnt involve reedy. And if i see rodman adjusting his sleeves whilst running in on goal once more................[/p][/quote]You noticed the sleeve thing as well! In all the years I've played and watched football, I've never seen that before. Rodman's a bad joke and Mills deserves all of the criticism he's getting on here. I'll bet Curtis Obeng is thinking to himself 'what the **** have I come here for?' As other posters have mentioned, Michael Rankine could do a very good job for us as a hold up and knock down man.[/p][/quote]Rankine hold up and knock down, having a laugh are we, he could not bring a ball under control if it was static,![/p][/quote]All you know about the current and past teams is what you read in the press. Try getting yerself to a few games and you'll see how bad it is! openallhours
  • Score: 0

9:51am Tue 5 Feb 13

openallhours says...

Tug job wrote:
YO1 wrote:
This forum gets more like Luton Outlaws website every week. Whenever we lose the usual cronies come out of the woodwork calling for the manager to be sacked. Whenever we get a credible result like last week, we never hear a thing from them.
I think that's because quite a few Luton fans post on here to wind City "fans" up - having read some of the nonsense posted above it would appear with some success. The fact that Wycombe beat Gillingham away does not make our task on Saturday any more or less difficult - GIllingham have thrashed several times higher in the table than us but we can count ourselves slightly unlucky not to have taken all three points.
Your policy of calling anybody who isn't a 'Gary clapper' a Luton fan is wearing thin now. Any sensible City fan is fast becoming tired of Mills' decisions and attitude (if they haven't already).

I like Mills, but I don't like how he's running the team this season. Yes, he's a very good non league manager but his only stint in league football ended in relegation. Let's hope he fairs better this time around.

By the way, I've never been anywhere near a Luton forum (or any other team for that matter) so why would you?
[quote][p][bold]Tug job[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]YO1[/bold] wrote: This forum gets more like Luton Outlaws website every week. Whenever we lose the usual cronies come out of the woodwork calling for the manager to be sacked. Whenever we get a credible result like last week, we never hear a thing from them.[/p][/quote]I think that's because quite a few Luton fans post on here to wind City "fans" up - having read some of the nonsense posted above it would appear with some success. The fact that Wycombe beat Gillingham away does not make our task on Saturday any more or less difficult - GIllingham have thrashed several times higher in the table than us but we can count ourselves slightly unlucky not to have taken all three points.[/p][/quote]Your policy of calling anybody who isn't a 'Gary clapper' a Luton fan is wearing thin now. Any sensible City fan is fast becoming tired of Mills' decisions and attitude (if they haven't already). I like Mills, but I don't like how he's running the team this season. Yes, he's a very good non league manager but his only stint in league football ended in relegation. Let's hope he fairs better this time around. By the way, I've never been anywhere near a Luton forum (or any other team for that matter) so why would you? openallhours
  • Score: 0

10:20am Tue 5 Feb 13

Budgie says...

Wycombe beat Gillingham last night and looked good,Another defeat looms, team selection is anyones guess, I think Mills will stick a pin a sheet of our quad and the outcome will be Saturdays team.
Wycombe beat Gillingham last night and looked good,Another defeat looms, team selection is anyones guess, I think Mills will stick a pin a sheet of our quad and the outcome will be Saturdays team. Budgie
  • Score: 0

10:43am Tue 5 Feb 13

OLD - HEAD says...

Budgie wrote:
Wycombe beat Gillingham last night and looked good,Another defeat looms, team selection is anyones guess, I think Mills will stick a pin a sheet of our quad and the outcome will be Saturdays team.
I must admit after watching Wycombe win last night, I am not looking forward to Saturday.Eight wins in their last twelve games says it all. Any result bar a defeat at Wycombe, will be a great result for City.
[quote][p][bold]Budgie[/bold] wrote: Wycombe beat Gillingham last night and looked good,Another defeat looms, team selection is anyones guess, I think Mills will stick a pin a sheet of our quad and the outcome will be Saturdays team.[/p][/quote]I must admit after watching Wycombe win last night, I am not looking forward to Saturday.Eight wins in their last twelve games says it all. Any result bar a defeat at Wycombe, will be a great result for City. OLD - HEAD
  • Score: 0

10:48am Tue 5 Feb 13

redwhiteblue says...

Question - if Reed is so good why is he still with us when he was put on the transfer list - surely other clubs were fight over him. Even Kiddy didn't fancy him or the risk in the end. Fantastic player, outstanding performances when pick, works his socks off for the team, true club man - dream on.
Question - if Reed is so good why is he still with us when he was put on the transfer list - surely other clubs were fight over him. Even Kiddy didn't fancy him or the risk in the end. Fantastic player, outstanding performances when pick, works his socks off for the team, true club man - dream on. redwhiteblue
  • Score: 0

11:03am Tue 5 Feb 13

Tug job says...

openallhours wrote:
Tug job wrote:
YO1 wrote: This forum gets more like Luton Outlaws website every week. Whenever we lose the usual cronies come out of the woodwork calling for the manager to be sacked. Whenever we get a credible result like last week, we never hear a thing from them.
I think that's because quite a few Luton fans post on here to wind City "fans" up - having read some of the nonsense posted above it would appear with some success. The fact that Wycombe beat Gillingham away does not make our task on Saturday any more or less difficult - GIllingham have thrashed several times higher in the table than us but we can count ourselves slightly unlucky not to have taken all three points.
Your policy of calling anybody who isn't a 'Gary clapper' a Luton fan is wearing thin now. Any sensible City fan is fast becoming tired of Mills' decisions and attitude (if they haven't already). I like Mills, but I don't like how he's running the team this season. Yes, he's a very good non league manager but his only stint in league football ended in relegation. Let's hope he fairs better this time around. By the way, I've never been anywhere near a Luton forum (or any other team for that matter) so why would you?
But a number of Luton fans have openly admitted "trolling" this site. I am not sure what a 'Gary clapper is' - presume it's the same as a Martin/Colin/Billy, etc, clapper and having supported the club since the late 60s, I've 'clapped' a fair few managers (good and bad - in my opinion, and that's what this forum is all about, Mills happens to be one of the better ones) in my time. Whether you go on another team's forum is a matter for you, whether I choose to do so is my business. But, to help you understand why some people do, I choose to do this for two main reasons: first, as a "sensible" fan, I like to get a rounded picture of how City are perceived by fans of other clubs - this season this has been overwhelmingly (but not exclusively) positive; second, as someone who watches most City matches each season (I average around30-35 games per season, work and family permitting) and has watched a fair few England matches over the years, I have made friends with fans from other clubs (including Luton) and this is a convenient way of maintaining contact with them. I shall be going down to Beaconsfield on Thursday evening to spend a long weekend with some Wycombe fans I first met when they were a non League side; I repaid the compliment earlier in the season. Opinions will always differ about tactics and players. Accept this and move on, rather than trying to claim that only those who agree with your point of view are sensible.
[quote][p][bold]openallhours[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tug job[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]YO1[/bold] wrote: This forum gets more like Luton Outlaws website every week. Whenever we lose the usual cronies come out of the woodwork calling for the manager to be sacked. Whenever we get a credible result like last week, we never hear a thing from them.[/p][/quote]I think that's because quite a few Luton fans post on here to wind City "fans" up - having read some of the nonsense posted above it would appear with some success. The fact that Wycombe beat Gillingham away does not make our task on Saturday any more or less difficult - GIllingham have thrashed several times higher in the table than us but we can count ourselves slightly unlucky not to have taken all three points.[/p][/quote]Your policy of calling anybody who isn't a 'Gary clapper' a Luton fan is wearing thin now. Any sensible City fan is fast becoming tired of Mills' decisions and attitude (if they haven't already). I like Mills, but I don't like how he's running the team this season. Yes, he's a very good non league manager but his only stint in league football ended in relegation. Let's hope he fairs better this time around. By the way, I've never been anywhere near a Luton forum (or any other team for that matter) so why would you?[/p][/quote]But a number of Luton fans have openly admitted "trolling" this site. I am not sure what a 'Gary clapper is' - presume it's the same as a Martin/Colin/Billy, etc, clapper and having supported the club since the late 60s, I've 'clapped' a fair few managers (good and bad - in my opinion, and that's what this forum is all about, Mills happens to be one of the better ones) in my time. Whether you go on another team's forum is a matter for you, whether I choose to do so is my business. But, to help you understand why some people do, I choose to do this for two main reasons: first, as a "sensible" fan, I like to get a rounded picture of how City are perceived by fans of other clubs - this season this has been overwhelmingly (but not exclusively) positive; second, as someone who watches most City matches each season (I average around30-35 games per season, work and family permitting) and has watched a fair few England matches over the years, I have made friends with fans from other clubs (including Luton) and this is a convenient way of maintaining contact with them. I shall be going down to Beaconsfield on Thursday evening to spend a long weekend with some Wycombe fans I first met when they were a non League side; I repaid the compliment earlier in the season. Opinions will always differ about tactics and players. Accept this and move on, rather than trying to claim that only those who agree with your point of view are sensible. Tug job
  • Score: 0

11:19am Tue 5 Feb 13

YorkCityLuke says...

What, are we suddely scared of Wycombe now? Come on, we do well away from home, and we have a point to prove after saturday's disaster. How can we expect the players to play a confident game if the supporters are all predicting defeat?
What, are we suddely scared of Wycombe now? Come on, we do well away from home, and we have a point to prove after saturday's disaster. How can we expect the players to play a confident game if the supporters are all predicting defeat? YorkCityLuke
  • Score: 0

11:21am Tue 5 Feb 13

openallhours says...

Tug job wrote:
openallhours wrote:
Tug job wrote:
YO1 wrote: This forum gets more like Luton Outlaws website every week. Whenever we lose the usual cronies come out of the woodwork calling for the manager to be sacked. Whenever we get a credible result like last week, we never hear a thing from them.
I think that's because quite a few Luton fans post on here to wind City "fans" up - having read some of the nonsense posted above it would appear with some success. The fact that Wycombe beat Gillingham away does not make our task on Saturday any more or less difficult - GIllingham have thrashed several times higher in the table than us but we can count ourselves slightly unlucky not to have taken all three points.
Your policy of calling anybody who isn't a 'Gary clapper' a Luton fan is wearing thin now. Any sensible City fan is fast becoming tired of Mills' decisions and attitude (if they haven't already). I like Mills, but I don't like how he's running the team this season. Yes, he's a very good non league manager but his only stint in league football ended in relegation. Let's hope he fairs better this time around. By the way, I've never been anywhere near a Luton forum (or any other team for that matter) so why would you?
But a number of Luton fans have openly admitted "trolling" this site. I am not sure what a 'Gary clapper is' - presume it's the same as a Martin/Colin/Billy, etc, clapper and having supported the club since the late 60s, I've 'clapped' a fair few managers (good and bad - in my opinion, and that's what this forum is all about, Mills happens to be one of the better ones) in my time. Whether you go on another team's forum is a matter for you, whether I choose to do so is my business. But, to help you understand why some people do, I choose to do this for two main reasons: first, as a "sensible" fan, I like to get a rounded picture of how City are perceived by fans of other clubs - this season this has been overwhelmingly (but not exclusively) positive; second, as someone who watches most City matches each season (I average around30-35 games per season, work and family permitting) and has watched a fair few England matches over the years, I have made friends with fans from other clubs (including Luton) and this is a convenient way of maintaining contact with them. I shall be going down to Beaconsfield on Thursday evening to spend a long weekend with some Wycombe fans I first met when they were a non League side; I repaid the compliment earlier in the season. Opinions will always differ about tactics and players. Accept this and move on, rather than trying to claim that only those who agree with your point of view are sensible.
Have a nice time at the game - I'll look forward to your post match analysis.
[quote][p][bold]Tug job[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]openallhours[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tug job[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]YO1[/bold] wrote: This forum gets more like Luton Outlaws website every week. Whenever we lose the usual cronies come out of the woodwork calling for the manager to be sacked. Whenever we get a credible result like last week, we never hear a thing from them.[/p][/quote]I think that's because quite a few Luton fans post on here to wind City "fans" up - having read some of the nonsense posted above it would appear with some success. The fact that Wycombe beat Gillingham away does not make our task on Saturday any more or less difficult - GIllingham have thrashed several times higher in the table than us but we can count ourselves slightly unlucky not to have taken all three points.[/p][/quote]Your policy of calling anybody who isn't a 'Gary clapper' a Luton fan is wearing thin now. Any sensible City fan is fast becoming tired of Mills' decisions and attitude (if they haven't already). I like Mills, but I don't like how he's running the team this season. Yes, he's a very good non league manager but his only stint in league football ended in relegation. Let's hope he fairs better this time around. By the way, I've never been anywhere near a Luton forum (or any other team for that matter) so why would you?[/p][/quote]But a number of Luton fans have openly admitted "trolling" this site. I am not sure what a 'Gary clapper is' - presume it's the same as a Martin/Colin/Billy, etc, clapper and having supported the club since the late 60s, I've 'clapped' a fair few managers (good and bad - in my opinion, and that's what this forum is all about, Mills happens to be one of the better ones) in my time. Whether you go on another team's forum is a matter for you, whether I choose to do so is my business. But, to help you understand why some people do, I choose to do this for two main reasons: first, as a "sensible" fan, I like to get a rounded picture of how City are perceived by fans of other clubs - this season this has been overwhelmingly (but not exclusively) positive; second, as someone who watches most City matches each season (I average around30-35 games per season, work and family permitting) and has watched a fair few England matches over the years, I have made friends with fans from other clubs (including Luton) and this is a convenient way of maintaining contact with them. I shall be going down to Beaconsfield on Thursday evening to spend a long weekend with some Wycombe fans I first met when they were a non League side; I repaid the compliment earlier in the season. Opinions will always differ about tactics and players. Accept this and move on, rather than trying to claim that only those who agree with your point of view are sensible.[/p][/quote]Have a nice time at the game - I'll look forward to your post match analysis. openallhours
  • Score: 0

11:23am Tue 5 Feb 13

Tug job says...

Well, you did ask. Here's hoping we can get three points.
Well, you did ask. Here's hoping we can get three points. Tug job
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree