FA TROPHY holders York City bowed out of this season’s competition following a 2-1 defeat at Kidderminster.

The Minstermen paid the price for conceding two sloppy goals in as many first-half minutes, with James Pearson and Emmanuel Sonupe getting on the scoresheet.

An improved second-half display saw sub Amari Morgan-Smith pull a goal back on 76 minutes and, during a late rally, the visitors came close to forcing a replay on several occasions with stoppage time seeing Daniel Rowe hitting a post and Jon Parkin forcing a fingertip save.

Kidderminster set the early pace, passing the ball with confidence although John Eustace’s men might have penetrated more and had to wait until 11 minutes before their first shot – a wild Sonupe effort that flew over from distance after Jonny Burn’s poor ball out of defence.

Joe Ironside’s far-post header then lacked the power to trouble Adam Bartlett after Sam Austin had spun off Adriano Moke and sent in a right-wing cross.

Another Sonupe attempt flashed wide from 20 yards at the end of a typically slick passing move, before City finally threatened briefly with a hooked Parkin attempt deflected on to the roof of the net in the 25th minute.

Parkin also volleyed out of the ground from 15 yards and a right-footed David Ferguson shot from a similar range was gathered at the second attempt by home keeper Brandon Hall.

But the Harriers forged ahead on 35 minutes when Sean Newton, carrying an earlier knock, could not track Ryan Croasdale’s run into the box and, when his shot was blocked, the ball fell to Pearson, who beat an exposed Bartlett with a controlled volley from eight yards.

Within seconds, the Minstermen were 2-0 down when a routine ball through the right channel caught Ferguson napping and Sonupe charged clear on goal.

City’s England C international tried to atone unwisely be barging into the Harriers’ winger’s side, but Sonupe kept sufficient balance to prod the ball past an advancing Bartlett.

After the interval, Alex Pattison saw a diagonal attempt kept out by Hall at his near post after the on-loan Middlesbrough attacker’s first shot was blocked. At the other end, Austin curled out of the ground following Rowe’s weak clearance and Sonupe drove into the sidenetting after sprinting past Hamza Bencherif through the right channel.

Parkin, meanwhile, saw a free kick brush the top of the home netting with Hall badly positioned.

But Kiddy continued to threaten and a strong shot by sub James McQuilkin was tipped over by Bartlett after Burn had surrendered possession.

Fraser Horsfall missed the target from McQuilkin’s subsequent corner to the near post and Elton Ngwatala went on to flash a powerful drive wide from distance.

For City, Morgan-Smith headed waywardly from a right-wing Moke centre, before reducing the deficit in spectacular fashion on 76 minutes.

Josh Law’s crossfield pass picked out the former Kidderminster forward in an inside-left position and he went on to curl an excellent effort into Hall’s top-left corner from the edge of the box.

City then went close to levelling twice in quick succession with Pattison driving just wide from long range and Bencherif heading across the face of the goal from the 20-year-old’s corner.

Pattison also saw an edge-of-the-box strike loop over following a deflection and another Bencherif header was gathered low to his left by Hall.

Home midfielder Declan Weeks went on to curl over from the edge of the box on the counter and Sonupe sidefooted weakly at Bartlett when clear through on 89 minutes.

An unconvincing Moke effort then finished wide, before Rowe hit the outside of Hall’s right-hand post with a crisp 30-yard shot and Parkin’s dipping edge-of-the-box volley was kept out, as City at least put up a fight before surrendering their defence of the trophy.