ACOMB regained top spot in the York Conservative Clubs Faber Shield Billiards League as they beat the then leaders Bootham 5-1.

Mick Borg just got the better of Paul Mahoney 150-138, and John Ashwell defeated Alf Appleby (30 break) 150-140 to put Acomb 2-0 up.

Another close frame followed as Paul Holmes managed to hold on, beating Ian Robinson 150-142, before Bootham managed to pull one back as Colin Robinson had a good 150-113 victory over Richard Lillie.

The last frame between Dan Potter and Tim Fillingham left Bootham with a chance of levelling the match as they were seven points in front on the aggregate score and a win would have made it 3-3, but Potter clinched the match for Acomb by winning 150-107.

Fulford took the lead against visitors Heworth as Wayne Puleston beat Brian Birch 150-137, but Gary Rogers hit back, producing breaks of 46 and 53 and an unfinished frame-winning effort of 48 to beat Tom Lewis 150-131.

Heworth took the next two frames as Carl De Pasquale held off Bob Plant (23 break) 150-138 and Darren Clark (40 break) had a comfortable 150-83 victory over Alan Reed.

Fulford's Glen Mountain replied with a 150-116 win over Keith Watkinson but Heworth took the match 4-2.

Meanwhile, the final of the York Conservative Clubs' Paul McCready 'C' team snooker pairs knockout, played at Heworth, saw Acomb's Jeff Keen and Nico Caddis beat John McCready and Keith Batty of Heworth to lift the trophy.

The Heworth pair scored steadily, taking two blacks, to build a 20-9 first-frame lead before Acomb pulled it back to 27-19.

McCready then made a 13 break and Heworth drew clear, clinching the frame when Batty took green and brown, Acomb conceding 56-19 behind.

Acomb got off to a good start in frame two, Keen and Caddis both taking a red with black.

McCready hit back with a 12 break, with both teams conceding in-offs as they tried to stop each other scoring.

The score moved slowly to 36-32 to Acomb before Batty failed to get out of a snooker leaving Caddis to pot green and brown.

Trailing 47-32, McCready still had the chance to win the match for Heworth as he took blue and pink - but he missed the black, which Caddis potted to take it to a deciding frame.

Keen made breaks of 16 and 15 while both Heworth players made a red and black, as the score reached 34-21 to Acomb.

Good safety play saw scoring become harder. McCready potted yellow, green and brown in separate visits but failed on the blue with Acomb leading 39-38.

Caddis duly potted blue and pink to give the Acomb pair victory.

The trophy and prizes were presented by John McCready's grandson, Oliver. Keen won the highest break award.