CLARENCE have been crowned York C&IU Bowls Evening League champions with 117 points.

The club retained the trophy they have won in the previous two years, going through the season unbeaten and drawing only three of their games.

Burton Lane finished in the runners-up spot, having chased Clarence for most of the season but fell away, not managing to win any of their last four games.

Five teams ended the Afternoon League season on 12 points resulting in a play-off to determine the champions and runners-up.

St Clement's 'A' and Burton Lane 'B' will meet in a preliminary play-off, with the winners facing South Bank in the semi-finals.

Holgate and Burton Lane 'A' go head to head in the other semi-final.

Final to be played on a neutral green; date and venue to be arranged.

Meanwhile, in the singles competition final, reigning champion Tony Thornton, of Railway Institute, went down to Gary Bunce.

The first eight ends were low scoring, with Bunce ahead by one shot. After shortening the mat length, Bunce won the next three ends, including a four, to go eight shots up and added more silverware to the Clarence trophy cabinet.

The vets pairs final was an all-South Bank affair.

Bob Blackburn and Alan Stubbs got off to a good start, winning the first four ends to take a five-shot lead, but John Snowden and Mick Wox hit back to square the match at 5-5.

Blackburn and Stubbs stole the initiative by winning five of the next six ends to take a 13-6 lead. Although Snowden and Wox scored four on the 17th end, it was too late.

After a sedate start to the four woods pairs final, the game exploded into life when St Clement's scored five on the fourth end to take a 6-3 lead.

In the wet conditions, the Burton Lane pair kept their nerve and won the next four ends including a three to lead 10-6 at the eighth.

At the next end, St Clement's had drawn level when scoring four shots and carried on to win three of the next five ends, including a three and another four, to lead 19-13.

John Cooper looked to be taking control of the game, but the Burton Lane pair had other ideas. After winning three consecutive ends, they had drawn level.

The match became tense with four ends to play in heavy rain and failing light. St Clement's were first to seize the lead with two shots on the 18th, but Burton Lane had the final say, taking the last three ends to win by two shots.