Manager Gary Mills challenges York City to bounce back in FA Cup replay at AFC Wimbledon

YORK City manager Gary Mills has admitted his team cannot play any worse during Monday night’s second meeting with AFC Wimbledon in three days.

Mills’ team travelled south on Sunday for Monday's FA Cup first round replay with the Wombles, having been comprehensively beaten 3-0 by the same side during Saturday’s League Two contest at Bootham Crescent.

Commenting on the possible psychological impact of Wimbeldon’s win on the ESPN-televised encounter, Mills said: “It will have given them a lift but I don’t think we can play any worse. If we do, then we are in trouble.”

Mills added that his players have now got to quickly set about the process of erasing the memory of the club’s heaviest league home defeat in more than five years since Billy McEwan’s struggling team were humbled 4-1 by Histon in October 2007.

Having also insisted that Saturday’s result did not stop him enjoying his 51st birthday celebrations at the weekend, Mills said: “Nobody will stop me from smiling.

“Part and parcel of football is losing and, if you can’t handle that, get out of the game but I won’t be doing that. You can’t feel sorry for yourself and you have to look forward to the next game.

“Saturday’s match will be forgotten by January when we’ve hopefully moved up the table and played MK Dons or Cambridge City in the next round of the FA Cup. I have to pick the right team (on Monday night) and get the confidence back into my players.”

On-loan Aldershot forward Alex Rodman will play no part in Monday’s game with his transfer for City having been completed after the date of the original first-round tie.

Mills admitted that the 25-year-old former England 'C' international had a difficult time on his full debut for the club, prior to being replaced just before the hour mark by Jon Challinor at the weekend.

“It was a bad day for him to make his debut,” the City chief said about Rodman’s first outing. “He didn’t really hurt them but then nobody did other than Danny Kearns.

“He was lively and gave us a little something when he got the ball but, other than him, we were poor.”

Comments (49)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:02pm Sun 11 Nov 12

Killieboy says...

Anyone know any sites on Internet that'll be showing the game? Don't have espn. Ill watch and listen to barry Parker on radio York. Ta much in advance.
Anyone know any sites on Internet that'll be showing the game? Don't have espn. Ill watch and listen to barry Parker on radio York. Ta much in advance. Killieboy

3:35pm Sun 11 Nov 12

RooBeck says...

Yesterday, we looked uncommitted, mentally frail and didn't show the character/appetite to fight for a result, or, get back into the match when behind. Let's all hope that this has been a one-off and that all concerned very quickly turn this round for to-morrow night's important game in Surrey. GM, needs to pick a team that will stay strong throughout and be up for the fight and if for whatever reason any heads are down, to get them lifted again and playing as we know they can. I can't believe that the team who played so well only a month ago at Bradford, have become brittle, disorganised and lacking of passion, as seen yesterday. Overall, GM's main task is to improve our home form and have the flexibility to introduce alternative attacking formations when necessary.
Yesterday, we looked uncommitted, mentally frail and didn't show the character/appetite to fight for a result, or, get back into the match when behind. Let's all hope that this has been a one-off and that all concerned very quickly turn this round for to-morrow night's important game in Surrey. GM, needs to pick a team that will stay strong throughout and be up for the fight and if for whatever reason any heads are down, to get them lifted again and playing as we know they can. I can't believe that the team who played so well only a month ago at Bradford, have become brittle, disorganised and lacking of passion, as seen yesterday. Overall, GM's main task is to improve our home form and have the flexibility to introduce alternative attacking formations when necessary. RooBeck

4:04pm Sun 11 Nov 12

pip007 says...

Look out America here come York City! For any ex-pats, the Wimbledon vs. City replay is being shown live on TV in the USA on Fox Soccer Channel 2:30 ET.
Look out America here come York City! For any ex-pats, the Wimbledon vs. City replay is being shown live on TV in the USA on Fox Soccer Channel 2:30 ET. pip007

5:17pm Sun 11 Nov 12

joejamestom says...

The dust will settle on this one as long as we are competitive on Monday.
GM has persisted with the 433 system because it usually yields attractive passing football but relies on a significant number of our players being in form & having good days, he continues to get in loan players that will fit in with the system Kearns is a good example & hopefully Rodman is a lot better than the little we saw. A lot of things that went on yesterday were down to not playing to our system & players strengths Jason wins a lot of balls in the air considering his size but we played far too much oriel stuff.
York are not turning into a bad team but this is a better quality league this year much tougher & we did not exactly run away with the Conference last season. Looking at our attendances we look distinctly mid table anything more is a bonus definitely need to get in a player or two my preference based on what I saw last season would be Jamail Matt from Kiddy & a threat from set pieces as effective as John Shaw was for Gateshead or give high balls into the box a bit of a rest as we are getting a very poor return on corners.
Time to take the long view & be thankful work to do to avoid that uncomfortable last 8. Come on City!!!!
The dust will settle on this one as long as we are competitive on Monday. GM has persisted with the 433 system because it usually yields attractive passing football but relies on a significant number of our players being in form & having good days, he continues to get in loan players that will fit in with the system Kearns is a good example & hopefully Rodman is a lot better than the little we saw. A lot of things that went on yesterday were down to not playing to our system & players strengths Jason wins a lot of balls in the air considering his size but we played far too much oriel stuff. York are not turning into a bad team but this is a better quality league this year much tougher & we did not exactly run away with the Conference last season. Looking at our attendances we look distinctly mid table anything more is a bonus definitely need to get in a player or two my preference based on what I saw last season would be Jamail Matt from Kiddy & a threat from set pieces as effective as John Shaw was for Gateshead or give high balls into the box a bit of a rest as we are getting a very poor return on corners. Time to take the long view & be thankful work to do to avoid that uncomfortable last 8. Come on City!!!! joejamestom

6:04pm Sun 11 Nov 12

redbluelion says...

there will be an online stream you only have to search to find one..i know a site showing the game..but i won't put it on hear.because it would get taken down..just search wimbledon v york live stream..simples..com
e on york bounce back..
there will be an online stream you only have to search to find one..i know a site showing the game..but i won't put it on hear.because it would get taken down..just search wimbledon v york live stream..simples..com e on york bounce back.. redbluelion

7:23pm Sun 11 Nov 12

wildthing666 says...

Oh! yes they can the camera's are there for ESPN
Oh! yes they can the camera's are there for ESPN wildthing666

7:50am Mon 12 Nov 12

chalkytalky says...

Mills got very VERY defensive over questions about going to 442 from his favoured 433 system.
I think he is being a bit too stubborn at times. It's not a case of the 433 system being bad, nor that it doesn't work. HOWEVER teams are onto us and when they come to BC they know what we will try do and can blunt us out. It works well away from home where teams come out to attack us but when they are visiting us they can sit back more and deny us space.
Surely with the players he has and someone like Reedy with a point to prove he could start with the option of moving the system round 'in-play' between 433 and 442. Reedy could play out of position on the right of a 433 with Blair in midfield before a switch moving him up top with Blair to wing along with Chambers?
We just seem inflexible and continue to sign the same old style of players thus denying us many options for change.
Saturday was the worst i've seen in a while and i'm sure its a one off but some players are making the same mistakes.
Ashley Chambers either looks a million dollars or just drifts in games and doesn't get into them. I don't think there would be an issue with 'resting' him some games to keep him fresh and hungry.
I'm not a Chris Smith fan and on Saturday he was attrocious. I'd love to see TY get a chance. If Mills says he isnt match fit cos he hasn't been playing... then why do all the loan signings always walk straight into the team when they haven't been playing at their respective clubs? Rodman, Kearns, et al.
I just hope Jamie Reed gets a chance before he moves on. I can imagine him scoring plenty elsewhere.
Mills got very VERY defensive over questions about going to 442 from his favoured 433 system. I think he is being a bit too stubborn at times. It's not a case of the 433 system being bad, nor that it doesn't work. HOWEVER teams are onto us and when they come to BC they know what we will try do and can blunt us out. It works well away from home where teams come out to attack us but when they are visiting us they can sit back more and deny us space. Surely with the players he has and someone like Reedy with a point to prove he could start with the option of moving the system round 'in-play' between 433 and 442. Reedy could play out of position on the right of a 433 with Blair in midfield before a switch moving him up top with Blair to wing along with Chambers? We just seem inflexible and continue to sign the same old style of players thus denying us many options for change. Saturday was the worst i've seen in a while and i'm sure its a one off but some players are making the same mistakes. Ashley Chambers either looks a million dollars or just drifts in games and doesn't get into them. I don't think there would be an issue with 'resting' him some games to keep him fresh and hungry. I'm not a Chris Smith fan and on Saturday he was attrocious. I'd love to see TY get a chance. If Mills says he isnt match fit cos he hasn't been playing... then why do all the loan signings always walk straight into the team when they haven't been playing at their respective clubs? Rodman, Kearns, et al. I just hope Jamie Reed gets a chance before he moves on. I can imagine him scoring plenty elsewhere. chalkytalky

9:46am Mon 12 Nov 12

Mickey T says...

redbluelion wrote:
there will be an online stream you only have to search to find one..i know a site showing the game..but i won't put it on hear.because it would get taken down..just search wimbledon v york live stream..simples..com

e on york bounce back..
FIRST ROW SPORTS is one...
[quote][p][bold]redbluelion[/bold] wrote: there will be an online stream you only have to search to find one..i know a site showing the game..but i won't put it on hear.because it would get taken down..just search wimbledon v york live stream..simples..com e on york bounce back..[/p][/quote]FIRST ROW SPORTS is one... Mickey T

12:18pm Mon 12 Nov 12

long distance depressive says...

4-3-3? WHAT 4-3-3? The system is in reality a 4-5-1 as Walker is generally too exposed and battling against big defenders all day on his own. Mills has somehow managed to turn Blair from a dangerous wide forward into a very average midfielder to the detriment of the player, team and set-up. Kerr has not come back as strong..slower, getting caught on the ball too much and running out of steam later in the game. Chambers needs a rest and should be used as an impact sub for a game or two. We can win tonight BUT the whole team (including the 'coaching staff'! need to step up to the plate.
4-3-3? WHAT 4-3-3? The system is in reality a 4-5-1 as Walker is generally too exposed and battling against big defenders all day on his own. Mills has somehow managed to turn Blair from a dangerous wide forward into a very average midfielder to the detriment of the player, team and set-up. Kerr has not come back as strong..slower, getting caught on the ball too much and running out of steam later in the game. Chambers needs a rest and should be used as an impact sub for a game or two. We can win tonight BUT the whole team (including the 'coaching staff'! need to step up to the plate. long distance depressive

12:28pm Mon 12 Nov 12

Colin Pratt says...

I am slowly but surely getting fed up with Gary Mills and his reluctance to adapt or change games. To be stating 4-3-3 is total rubbish as it is blatant 4-5-1 with the smallest attacker I have ever seen in such a formation. The games have been extremely poor all season at home, lets not shy away from that fact. In most cases they have been appalling and not enjoyable to watch in the slightest. Without going overboard I honestly think that GM may well be a very good Conference Manager but in the Football League he is really showing his short comings. A win against Wimbledon tonight would be fantastic but all this would do would paper over the ever expanding cracks, FACT.
I am slowly but surely getting fed up with Gary Mills and his reluctance to adapt or change games. To be stating 4-3-3 is total rubbish as it is blatant 4-5-1 with the smallest attacker I have ever seen in such a formation. The games have been extremely poor all season at home, lets not shy away from that fact. In most cases they have been appalling and not enjoyable to watch in the slightest. Without going overboard I honestly think that GM may well be a very good Conference Manager but in the Football League he is really showing his short comings. A win against Wimbledon tonight would be fantastic but all this would do would paper over the ever expanding cracks, FACT. Colin Pratt

1:05pm Mon 12 Nov 12

YorkCityLuke says...

Colin Pratt wrote:
I am slowly but surely getting fed up with Gary Mills and his reluctance to adapt or change games. To be stating 4-3-3 is total rubbish as it is blatant 4-5-1 with the smallest attacker I have ever seen in such a formation. The games have been extremely poor all season at home, lets not shy away from that fact. In most cases they have been appalling and not enjoyable to watch in the slightest. Without going overboard I honestly think that GM may well be a very good Conference Manager but in the Football League he is really showing his short comings. A win against Wimbledon tonight would be fantastic but all this would do would paper over the ever expanding cracks, FACT.
Not in any way a fact Colin, at best it's your opinion- and not really one that the facts support. For one thing, it's really been the past 3 games where we've looked poor, and even then we pretty much bossed Wimbledon the first time round, and Northampton in the first half. Again though, that is my opinion - the FACT is that we're sat comfortably in mid-table, operating on a limited budget and still getting used to the higher level of opposition. As much as I have complaints with the way we've been playing at home, the FACTS of the matter are that we're doing ok with Mills' preferred formation, and did extremely well with it last year. I'm not getting fed up with him after a few poor games.
[quote][p][bold]Colin Pratt[/bold] wrote: I am slowly but surely getting fed up with Gary Mills and his reluctance to adapt or change games. To be stating 4-3-3 is total rubbish as it is blatant 4-5-1 with the smallest attacker I have ever seen in such a formation. The games have been extremely poor all season at home, lets not shy away from that fact. In most cases they have been appalling and not enjoyable to watch in the slightest. Without going overboard I honestly think that GM may well be a very good Conference Manager but in the Football League he is really showing his short comings. A win against Wimbledon tonight would be fantastic but all this would do would paper over the ever expanding cracks, FACT.[/p][/quote]Not in any way a fact Colin, at best it's your opinion- and not really one that the facts support. For one thing, it's really been the past 3 games where we've looked poor, and even then we pretty much bossed Wimbledon the first time round, and Northampton in the first half. Again though, that is my opinion - the FACT is that we're sat comfortably in mid-table, operating on a limited budget and still getting used to the higher level of opposition. As much as I have complaints with the way we've been playing at home, the FACTS of the matter are that we're doing ok with Mills' preferred formation, and did extremely well with it last year. I'm not getting fed up with him after a few poor games. YorkCityLuke

1:28pm Mon 12 Nov 12

redbluelion says...

Mickey T wrote:
redbluelion wrote: there will be an online stream you only have to search to find one..i know a site showing the game..but i won't put it on hear.because it would get taken down..just search wimbledon v york live stream..simples..com e on york bounce back..
FIRST ROW SPORTS is one...
yes you do get a good stream on there..but there is better streams..you just need to find them..
[quote][p][bold]Mickey T[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]redbluelion[/bold] wrote: there will be an online stream you only have to search to find one..i know a site showing the game..but i won't put it on hear.because it would get taken down..just search wimbledon v york live stream..simples..com e on york bounce back..[/p][/quote]FIRST ROW SPORTS is one...[/p][/quote]yes you do get a good stream on there..but there is better streams..you just need to find them.. redbluelion

2:34pm Mon 12 Nov 12

skilly says...

YorkCityLuke wrote:
Colin Pratt wrote: I am slowly but surely getting fed up with Gary Mills and his reluctance to adapt or change games. To be stating 4-3-3 is total rubbish as it is blatant 4-5-1 with the smallest attacker I have ever seen in such a formation. The games have been extremely poor all season at home, lets not shy away from that fact. In most cases they have been appalling and not enjoyable to watch in the slightest. Without going overboard I honestly think that GM may well be a very good Conference Manager but in the Football League he is really showing his short comings. A win against Wimbledon tonight would be fantastic but all this would do would paper over the ever expanding cracks, FACT.
Not in any way a fact Colin, at best it's your opinion- and not really one that the facts support. For one thing, it's really been the past 3 games where we've looked poor, and even then we pretty much bossed Wimbledon the first time round, and Northampton in the first half. Again though, that is my opinion - the FACT is that we're sat comfortably in mid-table, operating on a limited budget and still getting used to the higher level of opposition. As much as I have complaints with the way we've been playing at home, the FACTS of the matter are that we're doing ok with Mills' preferred formation, and did extremely well with it last year. I'm not getting fed up with him after a few poor games.
Agree with YorkCityLuke. We have adjusted quite well with life in league 2. never thought it would be any different. The management will address any worrying issues, i am far from fed up with things, rewind a few seasons and then I would say I was fed up. We have come a long way in GM's 2 years in charge, remember that
[quote][p][bold]YorkCityLuke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Colin Pratt[/bold] wrote: I am slowly but surely getting fed up with Gary Mills and his reluctance to adapt or change games. To be stating 4-3-3 is total rubbish as it is blatant 4-5-1 with the smallest attacker I have ever seen in such a formation. The games have been extremely poor all season at home, lets not shy away from that fact. In most cases they have been appalling and not enjoyable to watch in the slightest. Without going overboard I honestly think that GM may well be a very good Conference Manager but in the Football League he is really showing his short comings. A win against Wimbledon tonight would be fantastic but all this would do would paper over the ever expanding cracks, FACT.[/p][/quote]Not in any way a fact Colin, at best it's your opinion- and not really one that the facts support. For one thing, it's really been the past 3 games where we've looked poor, and even then we pretty much bossed Wimbledon the first time round, and Northampton in the first half. Again though, that is my opinion - the FACT is that we're sat comfortably in mid-table, operating on a limited budget and still getting used to the higher level of opposition. As much as I have complaints with the way we've been playing at home, the FACTS of the matter are that we're doing ok with Mills' preferred formation, and did extremely well with it last year. I'm not getting fed up with him after a few poor games.[/p][/quote]Agree with YorkCityLuke. We have adjusted quite well with life in league 2. never thought it would be any different. The management will address any worrying issues, i am far from fed up with things, rewind a few seasons and then I would say I was fed up. We have come a long way in GM's 2 years in charge, remember that skilly

3:00pm Mon 12 Nov 12

paddymacwakey says...

nearly 3pm wheres the team news for tonights cup replay
nearly 3pm wheres the team news for tonights cup replay paddymacwakey

3:00pm Mon 12 Nov 12

openallhours says...

Big test of character tonight and even after Saturday's horror show, I'd like to think that we'll bounce straight back.

As I said last season, we have some very able players who, if played in their correct positions, will cause a threat to most teams.

Lets hope that Gary picks that team tonight. There's some good posts here but Sir Alex made some great points on the 3 - 0 story.
Big test of character tonight and even after Saturday's horror show, I'd like to think that we'll bounce straight back. As I said last season, we have some very able players who, if played in their correct positions, will cause a threat to most teams. Lets hope that Gary picks that team tonight. There's some good posts here but Sir Alex made some great points on the 3 - 0 story. openallhours

3:34pm Mon 12 Nov 12

daveymcgurk says...

paddymacwakey wrote:
nearly 3pm wheres the team news for tonights cup replay
it does`nt matter when the team news comes out paddy as most of the team will be playing out of position anyway!!
we desperatley need competion for ingham as im sure someone has nailed his boots to the floor!.
our top midfield target of the summer is loaned out to luton.
blair is NOT a midfielder and should be playing on the wing or off walker!
mclaughlin who got into double figures last season is on the bench!.
the one thing we need more than anything is a hitman who knows where the onion bag is!!!.
W.A.Y
[quote][p][bold]paddymacwakey[/bold] wrote: nearly 3pm wheres the team news for tonights cup replay[/p][/quote]it does`nt matter when the team news comes out paddy as most of the team will be playing out of position anyway!! we desperatley need competion for ingham as im sure someone has nailed his boots to the floor!. our top midfield target of the summer is loaned out to luton. blair is NOT a midfielder and should be playing on the wing or off walker! mclaughlin who got into double figures last season is on the bench!. the one thing we need more than anything is a hitman who knows where the onion bag is!!!. W.A.Y daveymcgurk

3:35pm Mon 12 Nov 12

walwynwasgod says...

openallhours

That's more constructive. Well said that man.
openallhours That's more constructive. Well said that man. walwynwasgod

4:28pm Mon 12 Nov 12

openallhours says...

walwynwasgod wrote:
openallhours That's more constructive. Well said that man.
Thanks. And I agree with your point about how the wage of a coach could be put to good use as well.
[quote][p][bold]walwynwasgod[/bold] wrote: openallhours That's more constructive. Well said that man.[/p][/quote]Thanks. And I agree with your point about how the wage of a coach could be put to good use as well. openallhours

5:18pm Mon 12 Nov 12

Phil, Leeds says...

Colin Pratt wrote:
I am slowly but surely getting fed up with Gary Mills and his reluctance to adapt or change games. To be stating 4-3-3 is total rubbish as it is blatant 4-5-1 with the smallest attacker I have ever seen in such a formation. The games have been extremely poor all season at home, lets not shy away from that fact. In most cases they have been appalling and not enjoyable to watch in the slightest. Without going overboard I honestly think that GM may well be a very good Conference Manager but in the Football League he is really showing his short comings. A win against Wimbledon tonight would be fantastic but all this would do would paper over the ever expanding cracks, FACT.
Some good points there. Welcome back!!
[quote][p][bold]Colin Pratt[/bold] wrote: I am slowly but surely getting fed up with Gary Mills and his reluctance to adapt or change games. To be stating 4-3-3 is total rubbish as it is blatant 4-5-1 with the smallest attacker I have ever seen in such a formation. The games have been extremely poor all season at home, lets not shy away from that fact. In most cases they have been appalling and not enjoyable to watch in the slightest. Without going overboard I honestly think that GM may well be a very good Conference Manager but in the Football League he is really showing his short comings. A win against Wimbledon tonight would be fantastic but all this would do would paper over the ever expanding cracks, FACT.[/p][/quote]Some good points there. Welcome back!! Phil, Leeds

6:17pm Mon 12 Nov 12

RooBeck says...

Time to put the pre-match comments on hold and now get behind the team and wish them the very best of luck for to-night and well done to the fans who have made the long journey south on a wet, cold Monday! Heads-up, dictate the play and forget all about Saturday and get the win! If extra-time, then remember what we did at Mansfield exactly six months ago but if it comes to it - then hope we have practised taking pens., and Inghy, if we end-up with a shoot-out, then, you can go from villain to super-hero status, all in the space of 48 hours!!! COYR.
Time to put the pre-match comments on hold and now get behind the team and wish them the very best of luck for to-night and well done to the fans who have made the long journey south on a wet, cold Monday! Heads-up, dictate the play and forget all about Saturday and get the win! If extra-time, then remember what we did at Mansfield exactly six months ago but if it comes to it - then hope we have practised taking pens., and Inghy, if we end-up with a shoot-out, then, you can go from villain to super-hero status, all in the space of 48 hours!!! COYR. RooBeck

8:03pm Mon 12 Nov 12

inthesticks says...

http://www.thefirstr
ow.eu/watch/152755/3
/watch-afc-wimbledon
-vs-york-city-fc.htm
l
http://www.thefirstr ow.eu/watch/152755/3 /watch-afc-wimbledon -vs-york-city-fc.htm l inthesticks

8:46pm Mon 12 Nov 12

Prob says...

BBC website not updating score. Anyone got the latest?
BBC website not updating score. Anyone got the latest? Prob

9:32pm Mon 12 Nov 12

Theapplesarecoming says...

2.1 to wimbledon
2.1 to wimbledon Theapplesarecoming

9:38pm Mon 12 Nov 12

Phil, Leeds says...

Theapplesarecoming wrote:
2.1 to wimbledon
2-2. Jamie Reed's first touch in the last minute!!! Get in!
[quote][p][bold]Theapplesarecoming[/bold] wrote: 2.1 to wimbledon[/p][/quote]2-2. Jamie Reed's first touch in the last minute!!! Get in! Phil, Leeds

10:23pm Mon 12 Nov 12

Prob says...

Well, bbc are updating now.

Lets go back to the conference. We were better in the FA cup from there.

(Note: this is somewhat of a joke)
Well, bbc are updating now. Lets go back to the conference. We were better in the FA cup from there. (Note: this is somewhat of a joke) Prob

10:30pm Mon 12 Nov 12

yorklaidtorights says...

Killieboy wrote:
Anyone know any sites on Internet that'll be showing the game? Don't have espn. Ill watch and listen to barry Parker on radio York. Ta much in advance.
Can't always blame the ref but he had an absolute mare tonight. 2 clear cut penalties should have been Yorks. That said they hit the post, bar at least twice and missed 4 sitters in the 6 yard box. More clinical with their finishing and this was over by half time!
[quote][p][bold]Killieboy[/bold] wrote: Anyone know any sites on Internet that'll be showing the game? Don't have espn. Ill watch and listen to barry Parker on radio York. Ta much in advance.[/p][/quote]Can't always blame the ref but he had an absolute mare tonight. 2 clear cut penalties should have been Yorks. That said they hit the post, bar at least twice and missed 4 sitters in the 6 yard box. More clinical with their finishing and this was over by half time! yorklaidtorights

10:34pm Mon 12 Nov 12

YorkCityLuke says...

Hit the bar twice, twice cleared off the line, once off the post, one stonewall penalty shout, one mid-strength penalty shout, at least two 50/50 penalty shouts, matched and outplayed Wimbledon for 100 minutes of football. Wimbledon take 4 shots and get 4 goals - one of those nights. Very good performance from City under the most difficult circumstances.
Hit the bar twice, twice cleared off the line, once off the post, one stonewall penalty shout, one mid-strength penalty shout, at least two 50/50 penalty shouts, matched and outplayed Wimbledon for 100 minutes of football. Wimbledon take 4 shots and get 4 goals - one of those nights. Very good performance from City under the most difficult circumstances. YorkCityLuke

10:35pm Mon 12 Nov 12

duffy says...

yorklaidtorights wrote:
Killieboy wrote:
Anyone know any sites on Internet that'll be showing the game? Don't have espn. Ill watch and listen to barry Parker on radio York. Ta much in advance.
Can't always blame the ref but he had an absolute mare tonight. 2 clear cut penalties should have been Yorks. That said they hit the post, bar at least twice and missed 4 sitters in the 6 yard box. More clinical with their finishing and this was over by half time!
Missed chances in games are just killing us sadly.
[quote][p][bold]yorklaidtorights[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Killieboy[/bold] wrote: Anyone know any sites on Internet that'll be showing the game? Don't have espn. Ill watch and listen to barry Parker on radio York. Ta much in advance.[/p][/quote]Can't always blame the ref but he had an absolute mare tonight. 2 clear cut penalties should have been Yorks. That said they hit the post, bar at least twice and missed 4 sitters in the 6 yard box. More clinical with their finishing and this was over by half time![/p][/quote]Missed chances in games are just killing us sadly. duffy

10:36pm Mon 12 Nov 12

yorklaidtorights says...

duffy wrote:
yorklaidtorights wrote:
Killieboy wrote:
Anyone know any sites on Internet that'll be showing the game? Don't have espn. Ill watch and listen to barry Parker on radio York. Ta much in advance.
Can't always blame the ref but he had an absolute mare tonight. 2 clear cut penalties should have been Yorks. That said they hit the post, bar at least twice and missed 4 sitters in the 6 yard box. More clinical with their finishing and this was over by half time!
Missed chances in games are just killing us sadly.
my worry is that if they'd have been awarded those two pens we'd just be talking about another two strikes of the woodwork with same result unfortunately
[quote][p][bold]duffy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]yorklaidtorights[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Killieboy[/bold] wrote: Anyone know any sites on Internet that'll be showing the game? Don't have espn. Ill watch and listen to barry Parker on radio York. Ta much in advance.[/p][/quote]Can't always blame the ref but he had an absolute mare tonight. 2 clear cut penalties should have been Yorks. That said they hit the post, bar at least twice and missed 4 sitters in the 6 yard box. More clinical with their finishing and this was over by half time![/p][/quote]Missed chances in games are just killing us sadly.[/p][/quote]my worry is that if they'd have been awarded those two pens we'd just be talking about another two strikes of the woodwork with same result unfortunately yorklaidtorights

10:45pm Mon 12 Nov 12

YO1 says...

Same team/ different fans. Thought we were immense tonight. Nobody could criticise the players efforts. Foolish yellow card for dissent by Scott Kerr meant he was walking a tightrope. Needs a rest and will come back better for it.

Well done lads, you restored my faith in you.
Same team/ different fans. Thought we were immense tonight. Nobody could criticise the players efforts. Foolish yellow card for dissent by Scott Kerr meant he was walking a tightrope. Needs a rest and will come back better for it. Well done lads, you restored my faith in you. YO1

10:48pm Mon 12 Nov 12

uhtred says...

first time in a while we have created good chances, vastly improved performance, if only we had put half of them away. Great finish by Reedy, real strikers goal coolness personified.

Hope Posh manger was not watching or else I fear Kearns will not be with us after next month.
first time in a while we have created good chances, vastly improved performance, if only we had put half of them away. Great finish by Reedy, real strikers goal coolness personified. Hope Posh manger was not watching or else I fear Kearns will not be with us after next month. uhtred

10:50pm Mon 12 Nov 12

YorkCityLuke says...

YO1 wrote:
Same team/ different fans. Thought we were immense tonight. Nobody could criticise the players efforts. Foolish yellow card for dissent by Scott Kerr meant he was walking a tightrope. Needs a rest and will come back better for it.

Well done lads, you restored my faith in you.
Me too, I thought we were magnificent. Reed proved his point too, so perhaps we'll see more of him now.
[quote][p][bold]YO1[/bold] wrote: Same team/ different fans. Thought we were immense tonight. Nobody could criticise the players efforts. Foolish yellow card for dissent by Scott Kerr meant he was walking a tightrope. Needs a rest and will come back better for it. Well done lads, you restored my faith in you.[/p][/quote]Me too, I thought we were magnificent. Reed proved his point too, so perhaps we'll see more of him now. YorkCityLuke

11:07pm Mon 12 Nov 12

OLD - HEAD says...

No defeat is pleasant, but at least we lost this one with a much improved display. Incredible misses in the first half when we could have been at least three goals up. The whole team battled bravely after Kerr was sent off. Reed certainly made his mark when he came on. I thought that Wimbledon were given the benefit of any doubt by the Referee.
No defeat is pleasant, but at least we lost this one with a much improved display. Incredible misses in the first half when we could have been at least three goals up. The whole team battled bravely after Kerr was sent off. Reed certainly made his mark when he came on. I thought that Wimbledon were given the benefit of any doubt by the Referee. OLD - HEAD

11:21pm Mon 12 Nov 12

heartbreaker says...

Not going to criticise the fight of the lads and the general performance (bar Smith - time for McGurk recall please??) but missed chances and defensive frailities exposed tonight again unfortunately which are costing us and would be the key areas to work on. As well as getting Kearns on a perm deal though I get the feeling that won't happen. Too good for league 2 from the evidence so far! Hopefully keep him on loan till the end of the season at least.

Also anyone get the feeling espn might be showing the MK Dons (or CAMBRIDGE CITY!) v Afc Wimbledon game? They flamin' mentioned it enough!!
Not going to criticise the fight of the lads and the general performance (bar Smith - time for McGurk recall please??) but missed chances and defensive frailities exposed tonight again unfortunately which are costing us and would be the key areas to work on. As well as getting Kearns on a perm deal though I get the feeling that won't happen. Too good for league 2 from the evidence so far! Hopefully keep him on loan till the end of the season at least. Also anyone get the feeling espn might be showing the MK Dons (or CAMBRIDGE CITY!) v Afc Wimbledon game? They flamin' mentioned it enough!! heartbreaker

11:35pm Mon 12 Nov 12

nicko75 says...

Too drained to write much - a great effort but a pattern is starting to emerge... Letting goals in due to individual errors and missing a wealth of chances at the other end. There is a play off team there for sure IF those things could be corrected. I really don't like criticising individuals BUT (notwithstanding the fact he almost set up the winning goal!) I thought Johnson looked slower and more tired than anyone else when he had only been on the pitch 5 minutes. Also the ref was awful tonight, just awful...
Too drained to write much - a great effort but a pattern is starting to emerge... Letting goals in due to individual errors and missing a wealth of chances at the other end. There is a play off team there for sure IF those things could be corrected. I really don't like criticising individuals BUT (notwithstanding the fact he almost set up the winning goal!) I thought Johnson looked slower and more tired than anyone else when he had only been on the pitch 5 minutes. Also the ref was awful tonight, just awful... nicko75

12:38am Tue 13 Nov 12

dazthecat says...

nicko75 wrote:
Too drained to write much - a great effort but a pattern is starting to emerge... Letting goals in due to individual errors and missing a wealth of chances at the other end. There is a play off team there for sure IF those things could be corrected. I really don't like criticising individuals BUT (notwithstanding the fact he almost set up the winning goal!) I thought Johnson looked slower and more tired than anyone else when he had only been on the pitch 5 minutes. Also the ref was awful tonight, just awful...
To be fair to Johnson, he's never going to get match sharpness with the amount of minutes he's been getting. If we're not going to have a reserve side, players like Johnson and Reed need to get more than 7 minutes here and there.

Having said that, what a response to firstly the horror show that was Saturday, and secondly going down to 10 men. Really proud of that performance, just a shame we couldn't have stuck a couple of those chances away.
[quote][p][bold]nicko75[/bold] wrote: Too drained to write much - a great effort but a pattern is starting to emerge... Letting goals in due to individual errors and missing a wealth of chances at the other end. There is a play off team there for sure IF those things could be corrected. I really don't like criticising individuals BUT (notwithstanding the fact he almost set up the winning goal!) I thought Johnson looked slower and more tired than anyone else when he had only been on the pitch 5 minutes. Also the ref was awful tonight, just awful...[/p][/quote]To be fair to Johnson, he's never going to get match sharpness with the amount of minutes he's been getting. If we're not going to have a reserve side, players like Johnson and Reed need to get more than 7 minutes here and there. Having said that, what a response to firstly the horror show that was Saturday, and secondly going down to 10 men. Really proud of that performance, just a shame we couldn't have stuck a couple of those chances away. dazthecat

1:09am Tue 13 Nov 12

openallhours says...

Hi Gary, the taxi's waiting but don't worry about the fare as the club will pick up the tab. After all, you are Gary Mills.

Take as long as you want, coz I know that you're a strong character, just like fat Paulie in Goodfellas (he don't move quick for no one coz he don't have to).

Please thank Clarke for me - his big smiles and hugs for the opposition players after the final whistle restored my faith in the friendly side of the game.

Perhaps Gary could be Clarke's assistant as chairman of the PFA as his no nonsense attitude would fit right in there.

The bloke that shouted 'Mills out - Ince in' should be ashamed of himself!

Village idiots please take note; they're only words!
Hi Gary, the taxi's waiting but don't worry about the fare as the club will pick up the tab. After all, you are Gary Mills. Take as long as you want, coz I know that you're a strong character, just like fat Paulie in Goodfellas (he don't move quick for no one coz he don't have to). Please thank Clarke for me - his big smiles and hugs for the opposition players after the final whistle restored my faith in the friendly side of the game. Perhaps Gary could be Clarke's assistant as chairman of the PFA as his no nonsense attitude would fit right in there. The bloke that shouted 'Mills out - Ince in' should be ashamed of himself! Village idiots please take note; they're only words! openallhours

3:47am Tue 13 Nov 12

bobnumber2 says...

Tonight made me proud to be a York City fan. Whether I think that the line-up and/or formation ought to be different is irrelevant. Whether I think we need a new striker or not doesn't matter. I don't even care that we lost. All that matters is that everyone on that field in a York City shirt gave absolutely everything they had. I walked out of that ground far happier to be a York fan than a Wimbledon fan. Let them have their "Cup Final".
Tonight made me proud to be a York City fan. Whether I think that the line-up and/or formation ought to be different is irrelevant. Whether I think we need a new striker or not doesn't matter. I don't even care that we lost. All that matters is that everyone on that field in a York City shirt gave absolutely everything they had. I walked out of that ground far happier to be a York fan than a Wimbledon fan. Let them have their "Cup Final". bobnumber2

8:43am Tue 13 Nov 12

paintitred says...

Took the game in at my mates . he is not a York fan in the slightest. He was impressed by citys play and with a slice of luck it would have been us through and 2nd round tie for us,
His main beef was with the "shocking" so call top referee who missed at least one unquestionable penalty when dons Defender wanted a piggy back off walker and just seem to be strutting his stuff on the night.
personally thought the ref was a hommer and had a complete stinker.
He could not get his cards out quick enough to dispatch Scott, Yet the dons number 28 recieved a strong final warning after already been cautioned and commiting two more cautionable fouls (with the capatain there) after going through the back of banjo. and despite going on to commit 2 further fouls he remiained on the pitch ,.DOUBLE STANDARDS. on a side note 3 more yellow cards were then dished out to players for much lesser infringments. refs do influance games and so it proved last night. as my mate put it another ref too big for the game.

i dont often blame refs for defeats but a referee with premiership experience should have been more on his game and he played a major role in the game getting so many BIG BIG calls so very wrong.
we could not have expected anymore than the lads put in last night. its was a classic f a cup with every thing.

we move on to saturday with heads held high again
Took the game in at my mates . he is not a York fan in the slightest. He was impressed by citys play and with a slice of luck it would have been us through and 2nd round tie for us, His main beef was with the "shocking" so call top referee who missed at least one unquestionable penalty when dons Defender wanted a piggy back off walker and just seem to be strutting his stuff on the night. personally thought the ref was a hommer and had a complete stinker. He could not get his cards out quick enough to dispatch Scott, Yet the dons number 28 recieved a strong final warning after already been cautioned and commiting two more cautionable fouls (with the capatain there) after going through the back of banjo. and despite going on to commit 2 further fouls he remiained on the pitch ,.DOUBLE STANDARDS. on a side note 3 more yellow cards were then dished out to players for much lesser infringments. refs do influance games and so it proved last night. as my mate put it another ref too big for the game. i dont often blame refs for defeats but a referee with premiership experience should have been more on his game and he played a major role in the game getting so many BIG BIG calls so very wrong. we could not have expected anymore than the lads put in last night. its was a classic f a cup with every thing. we move on to saturday with heads held high again paintitred

9:06am Tue 13 Nov 12

PhilTopping says...

Don't agree about the ref. I thought he was excellent. Didn't think any of our "penalties" were clear cut. Possibly the first one was the best shout, but even that was iffy.

Kerr's second challenge was good enough to warrant a straight red. Their player was just niggly after his booking, didn't commit anything that demanded a yellow or red.

There's blame to be placed on Kerr's shoulders, our finishing and possibly on Mills for the slow sub policy. But not on the referee. Sorry.
Don't agree about the ref. I thought he was excellent. Didn't think any of our "penalties" were clear cut. Possibly the first one was the best shout, but even that was iffy. Kerr's second challenge was good enough to warrant a straight red. Their player was just niggly after his booking, didn't commit anything that demanded a yellow or red. There's blame to be placed on Kerr's shoulders, our finishing and possibly on Mills for the slow sub policy. But not on the referee. Sorry. PhilTopping

9:26am Tue 13 Nov 12

CaptainCreosote says...

Sorry Phil - challenge on Walker was an absolute stonewaller. That challenge made anywhere else on the pitch would have been a freekick. Ref bottled it. Steve Gregory should definitely have seen a second yellow for his reckless challenge on Banjo not 30 seconds after going in the book. Whilst accepting that Kerr was foolish to step in to a tackle he was never going to be able to make - that plus dissent does not equal a red card in my book, given what had not happened to their No.28
All that aside, we were by far the better team with 11 players and still the better side with 10 players. A bit more composure in front of goal and we might have been six up by half time. Game would and maybe should have been over. I thought to a man our attitude was fantastic. Repeat that in the league and we will be just fine. Bring on Saturday.
Sorry Phil - challenge on Walker was an absolute stonewaller. That challenge made anywhere else on the pitch would have been a freekick. Ref bottled it. Steve Gregory should definitely have seen a second yellow for his reckless challenge on Banjo not 30 seconds after going in the book. Whilst accepting that Kerr was foolish to step in to a tackle he was never going to be able to make - that plus dissent does not equal a red card in my book, given what had not happened to their No.28 All that aside, we were by far the better team with 11 players and still the better side with 10 players. A bit more composure in front of goal and we might have been six up by half time. Game would and maybe should have been over. I thought to a man our attitude was fantastic. Repeat that in the league and we will be just fine. Bring on Saturday. CaptainCreosote

9:27am Tue 13 Nov 12

chalkytalky says...

YorkCityLuke wrote:
YO1 wrote: Same team/ different fans. Thought we were immense tonight. Nobody could criticise the players efforts. Foolish yellow card for dissent by Scott Kerr meant he was walking a tightrope. Needs a rest and will come back better for it. Well done lads, you restored my faith in you.
Me too, I thought we were magnificent. Reed proved his point too, so perhaps we'll see more of him now.
Sadly he has done it before and we dont see more of him. He gets one start then Mills says he isnt a starter just doesnt make an impact blah blah blah.
A run in the team would be good for Reedy, when the ball drops in the box he is a poacher.

Thought on Saturday and last night Chris Smith was terrible. Clarke not much better but Smith just gets exposed too often. Never been a fan of his so perhaps my view is biased. Give him his dues last season he had a patch of form that was very good.
Would love to see McGurk back and possible a taller more physical CB signed up
[quote][p][bold]YorkCityLuke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]YO1[/bold] wrote: Same team/ different fans. Thought we were immense tonight. Nobody could criticise the players efforts. Foolish yellow card for dissent by Scott Kerr meant he was walking a tightrope. Needs a rest and will come back better for it. Well done lads, you restored my faith in you.[/p][/quote]Me too, I thought we were magnificent. Reed proved his point too, so perhaps we'll see more of him now.[/p][/quote]Sadly he has done it before and we dont see more of him. He gets one start then Mills says he isnt a starter just doesnt make an impact blah blah blah. A run in the team would be good for Reedy, when the ball drops in the box he is a poacher. Thought on Saturday and last night Chris Smith was terrible. Clarke not much better but Smith just gets exposed too often. Never been a fan of his so perhaps my view is biased. Give him his dues last season he had a patch of form that was very good. Would love to see McGurk back and possible a taller more physical CB signed up chalkytalky

9:27am Tue 13 Nov 12

chalkytalky says...

YorkCityLuke wrote:
YO1 wrote: Same team/ different fans. Thought we were immense tonight. Nobody could criticise the players efforts. Foolish yellow card for dissent by Scott Kerr meant he was walking a tightrope. Needs a rest and will come back better for it. Well done lads, you restored my faith in you.
Me too, I thought we were magnificent. Reed proved his point too, so perhaps we'll see more of him now.
Sadly he has done it before and we dont see more of him. He gets one start then Mills says he isnt a starter just doesnt make an impact blah blah blah.
A run in the team would be good for Reedy, when the ball drops in the box he is a poacher.

Thought on Saturday and last night Chris Smith was terrible. Clarke not much better but Smith just gets exposed too often. Never been a fan of his so perhaps my view is biased. Give him his dues last season he had a patch of form that was very good.
Would love to see McGurk back and possible a taller more physical CB signed up
[quote][p][bold]YorkCityLuke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]YO1[/bold] wrote: Same team/ different fans. Thought we were immense tonight. Nobody could criticise the players efforts. Foolish yellow card for dissent by Scott Kerr meant he was walking a tightrope. Needs a rest and will come back better for it. Well done lads, you restored my faith in you.[/p][/quote]Me too, I thought we were magnificent. Reed proved his point too, so perhaps we'll see more of him now.[/p][/quote]Sadly he has done it before and we dont see more of him. He gets one start then Mills says he isnt a starter just doesnt make an impact blah blah blah. A run in the team would be good for Reedy, when the ball drops in the box he is a poacher. Thought on Saturday and last night Chris Smith was terrible. Clarke not much better but Smith just gets exposed too often. Never been a fan of his so perhaps my view is biased. Give him his dues last season he had a patch of form that was very good. Would love to see McGurk back and possible a taller more physical CB signed up chalkytalky

10:14am Tue 13 Nov 12

dazthecat says...

openallhours wrote:
Hi Gary, the taxi's waiting but don't worry about the fare as the club will pick up the tab. After all, you are Gary Mills.

Take as long as you want, coz I know that you're a strong character, just like fat Paulie in Goodfellas (he don't move quick for no one coz he don't have to).

Please thank Clarke for me - his big smiles and hugs for the opposition players after the final whistle restored my faith in the friendly side of the game.

Perhaps Gary could be Clarke's assistant as chairman of the PFA as his no nonsense attitude would fit right in there.

The bloke that shouted 'Mills out - Ince in' should be ashamed of himself!

Village idiots please take note; they're only words!
I'd just be careful what you wish for. I'm not saying there is no one out there who could do a better job than mills, but there's a lot that would try and fail. Not comparing our club to theirs on anything other than a managerial front, but look at what happened to Blackburn. Allardyce was doing a solid job, then I'm sure you know the rest...

If you're expecting us to be top of the table right now, fighting on all trophy fronts, then you're bound to be disappointed. I just think your expectations may be a bit unrealistic
[quote][p][bold]openallhours[/bold] wrote: Hi Gary, the taxi's waiting but don't worry about the fare as the club will pick up the tab. After all, you are Gary Mills. Take as long as you want, coz I know that you're a strong character, just like fat Paulie in Goodfellas (he don't move quick for no one coz he don't have to). Please thank Clarke for me - his big smiles and hugs for the opposition players after the final whistle restored my faith in the friendly side of the game. Perhaps Gary could be Clarke's assistant as chairman of the PFA as his no nonsense attitude would fit right in there. The bloke that shouted 'Mills out - Ince in' should be ashamed of himself! Village idiots please take note; they're only words![/p][/quote]I'd just be careful what you wish for. I'm not saying there is no one out there who could do a better job than mills, but there's a lot that would try and fail. Not comparing our club to theirs on anything other than a managerial front, but look at what happened to Blackburn. Allardyce was doing a solid job, then I'm sure you know the rest... If you're expecting us to be top of the table right now, fighting on all trophy fronts, then you're bound to be disappointed. I just think your expectations may be a bit unrealistic dazthecat

10:19am Tue 13 Nov 12

dazthecat says...

dazthecat wrote:
openallhours wrote:
Hi Gary, the taxi's waiting but don't worry about the fare as the club will pick up the tab. After all, you are Gary Mills.

Take as long as you want, coz I know that you're a strong character, just like fat Paulie in Goodfellas (he don't move quick for no one coz he don't have to).

Please thank Clarke for me - his big smiles and hugs for the opposition players after the final whistle restored my faith in the friendly side of the game.

Perhaps Gary could be Clarke's assistant as chairman of the PFA as his no nonsense attitude would fit right in there.

The bloke that shouted 'Mills out - Ince in' should be ashamed of himself!

Village idiots please take note; they're only words!
I'd just be careful what you wish for. I'm not saying there is no one out there who could do a better job than mills, but there's a lot that would try and fail. Not comparing our club to theirs on anything other than a managerial front, but look at what happened to Blackburn. Allardyce was doing a solid job, then I'm sure you know the rest...

If you're expecting us to be top of the table right now, fighting on all trophy fronts, then you're bound to be disappointed. I just think your expectations may be a bit unrealistic
And just one other thing, didn't you post somewhere else that someone had bad manners for calling you a muppet? Just checking....
[quote][p][bold]dazthecat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]openallhours[/bold] wrote: Hi Gary, the taxi's waiting but don't worry about the fare as the club will pick up the tab. After all, you are Gary Mills. Take as long as you want, coz I know that you're a strong character, just like fat Paulie in Goodfellas (he don't move quick for no one coz he don't have to). Please thank Clarke for me - his big smiles and hugs for the opposition players after the final whistle restored my faith in the friendly side of the game. Perhaps Gary could be Clarke's assistant as chairman of the PFA as his no nonsense attitude would fit right in there. The bloke that shouted 'Mills out - Ince in' should be ashamed of himself! Village idiots please take note; they're only words![/p][/quote]I'd just be careful what you wish for. I'm not saying there is no one out there who could do a better job than mills, but there's a lot that would try and fail. Not comparing our club to theirs on anything other than a managerial front, but look at what happened to Blackburn. Allardyce was doing a solid job, then I'm sure you know the rest... If you're expecting us to be top of the table right now, fighting on all trophy fronts, then you're bound to be disappointed. I just think your expectations may be a bit unrealistic[/p][/quote]And just one other thing, didn't you post somewhere else that someone had bad manners for calling you a muppet? Just checking.... dazthecat

10:31am Tue 13 Nov 12

alimount says...

Got to question Ingham for their second, didn't get off his line quick enough to put the ball out of the ground. Kerr was foolish for trying to Cruff turn on the edge of his own crowded box, just pass it up field! Kearns looked very good, first I'd seen of him. Still think Carlisle is a carthorse. Reed by his celebration knows he can't do anymore than score. Needs to start against Vale. Should have been an easy win but not to be.
Got to question Ingham for their second, didn't get off his line quick enough to put the ball out of the ground. Kerr was foolish for trying to Cruff turn on the edge of his own crowded box, just pass it up field! Kearns looked very good, first I'd seen of him. Still think Carlisle is a carthorse. Reed by his celebration knows he can't do anymore than score. Needs to start against Vale. Should have been an easy win but not to be. alimount

11:37am Tue 13 Nov 12

Some old bloke says...

Just a note to the Press sports department. York City played a match last night.
Just a note to the Press sports department. York City played a match last night. Some old bloke

12:11pm Tue 13 Nov 12

Phil, Leeds says...

Confirmation that we don't need to sign another striker, as I keep saying we have one who will get 20+ goals a season, Jamie Reed if he's given a regular run in the side instead of misfiring Walker. Some awful goals conceded again - Smith and Carlisle need replacing.
Confirmation that we don't need to sign another striker, as I keep saying we have one who will get 20+ goals a season, Jamie Reed if he's given a regular run in the side instead of misfiring Walker. Some awful goals conceded again - Smith and Carlisle need replacing. Phil, Leeds

8:07am Thu 15 Nov 12

yorklaidtorights says...

PhilTopping wrote:
Don't agree about the ref. I thought he was excellent. Didn't think any of our "penalties" were clear cut. Possibly the first one was the best shout, but even that was iffy.

Kerr's second challenge was good enough to warrant a straight red. Their player was just niggly after his booking, didn't commit anything that demanded a yellow or red.

There's blame to be placed on Kerr's shoulders, our finishing and possibly on Mills for the slow sub policy. But not on the referee. Sorry.
You honestly thought the ref was excellent?

Whilst I agree with you that Kerr's challenge could easily have been given a straight red (to those YC fans who don't agree, yes it was passionate but it was also reckless) i'm afraid that I must have been watching a different game in relation to the remainder as I did not think the ref was consistent for both sides.

Yes send Kerr off no complaints but Walker's was a clear cut penalty and Gregory should have walked long before Kerr did.

To be clear i'm not blaming the ref as YC should have been 3, 4 or even 5 up before half time but my complaint is that had that challenge on Walker happened at the other end based on his other decisions he would have surely given a pen.

York City rue their missed chances but a bit of consistency would have been nice.
[quote][p][bold]PhilTopping[/bold] wrote: Don't agree about the ref. I thought he was excellent. Didn't think any of our "penalties" were clear cut. Possibly the first one was the best shout, but even that was iffy. Kerr's second challenge was good enough to warrant a straight red. Their player was just niggly after his booking, didn't commit anything that demanded a yellow or red. There's blame to be placed on Kerr's shoulders, our finishing and possibly on Mills for the slow sub policy. But not on the referee. Sorry.[/p][/quote]You honestly thought the ref was excellent? Whilst I agree with you that Kerr's challenge could easily have been given a straight red (to those YC fans who don't agree, yes it was passionate but it was also reckless) i'm afraid that I must have been watching a different game in relation to the remainder as I did not think the ref was consistent for both sides. Yes send Kerr off no complaints but Walker's was a clear cut penalty and Gregory should have walked long before Kerr did. To be clear i'm not blaming the ref as YC should have been 3, 4 or even 5 up before half time but my complaint is that had that challenge on Walker happened at the other end based on his other decisions he would have surely given a pen. York City rue their missed chances but a bit of consistency would have been nice. yorklaidtorights

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree