Nestlé release raisin-and-biscuit version of Milkybar

Nestlé employees Phillip Ashley, left, and Steve Cloquhoun, dressed to promote the launch of the new Milkybars

Nestlé employees Phillip Ashley, left, and Steve Cloquhoun, dressed to promote the launch of the new Milkybars

First published in News York Press: Photograph of the Author by , Chief reporter

YORK confectionery giant Nestlé is to launch a new raisin-and-biscuit version of one of its best-loved children’s brands, Milkybar.

The new bar, which was conceived and developed in record time at the company’s York complex, is intended to extend the brand’s appeal to adults.

A spokesman said it was one of the biggest and most exciting confectionery launches of 2010, and would transform the white chocolate market, currently worth £70 million a year in sales.

He said the bar would be publicised by a £7 million media campaign, the biggest amount ever spent on Milkybar, which already has a 60 per cent share of the white chocolate market.

“The campaign includes new TV and outdoor advertising as well as significant digital support, which is all specifically tailored for adults,” he said.

Graham Walker, Nestlé UK trade communications manager, said this was the biggest news for the bar in years. “Traditionally enjoyed by kids, Milkybar is also incredibly popular with adults,” he said.

“In fact, more than 75 per cent of consumers like white chocolate and over 60 per cent of Milkybar singles are bought by adults for their own enjoyment.”

He said Nestlé expected the new bar’s packaging to attract even more adults and said the new launch provided further evidence of the commitment Nestlé had to York, and helped to safeguard jobs.


• By the time the bar is launched at the end of this month the York factory will have produced 570 tons of Milkybar raisin and biscuit – equating to more than 15 million bars.

• The production will involve 467 tons of white chocolate, 68 tons of raisins and 34 tons of biscuits.

• Every 24 hours, Nestlé will produce 860,000 bars, totalling 32 tons.

• Laid end to end, the new bars would stretch 1,725 kms – further than from York to Rome.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:47am Mon 12 Jul 10

billy shears says...

Nic free advert for Nestle. Hardly news though is it? By the way, Nestle is nt York based, they just have the old rowntrees factory in York.
Nic free advert for Nestle. Hardly news though is it? By the way, Nestle is nt York based, they just have the old rowntrees factory in York. billy shears
  • Score: 0

11:54am Mon 12 Jul 10

jimmym73 says...

billy shears wrote:
Nic free advert for Nestle. Hardly news though is it? By the way, Nestle is nt York based, they just have the old rowntrees factory in York.
James from Nestle here. York is the head office for Nestle Confectionery and it also houses a number of non confectionery divisions such as Nestle Business Services and Nestle 1st Choice and from october the new UK consumer services team for Nespresso will be based here. Of the 2,000 people who work on the York site, only half of those are involved in confectionery.
[quote][p][bold]billy shears[/bold] wrote: Nic free advert for Nestle. Hardly news though is it? By the way, Nestle is nt York based, they just have the old rowntrees factory in York.[/p][/quote]James from Nestle here. York is the head office for Nestle Confectionery and it also houses a number of non confectionery divisions such as Nestle Business Services and Nestle 1st Choice and from october the new UK consumer services team for Nespresso will be based here. Of the 2,000 people who work on the York site, only half of those are involved in confectionery. jimmym73
  • Score: 0

1:02pm Mon 12 Jul 10

AdmiralNN says...

Anyone interested type in 'most hated companies' on google and read why Nestle is hated even more than BP!!
Anyone interested type in 'most hated companies' on google and read why Nestle is hated even more than BP!! AdmiralNN
  • Score: 0

1:50pm Mon 12 Jul 10

hifive says...

Suprised there's anyone on the production line to make them what with all the incessant whingeing and foot stamping they do.
Suprised there's anyone on the production line to make them what with all the incessant whingeing and foot stamping they do. hifive
  • Score: 0

2:09pm Mon 12 Jul 10

Rimpole says...

Interesting to note that James from Nestle makes no comment in response to this post. I have just read it and will definitely be reducing my acquistion of their products.
Interesting to note that James from Nestle makes no comment in response to this post. I have just read it and will definitely be reducing my acquistion of their products. Rimpole
  • Score: 0

4:05pm Mon 12 Jul 10

westyorkie says...

jimmym73 wrote:
billy shears wrote:
Nic free advert for Nestle. Hardly news though is it? By the way, Nestle is nt York based, they just have the old rowntrees factory in York.
James from Nestle here. York is the head office for Nestle Confectionery and it also houses a number of non confectionery divisions such as Nestle Business Services and Nestle 1st Choice and from october the new UK consumer services team for Nespresso will be based here. Of the 2,000 people who work on the York site, only half of those are involved in confectionery.
Hi James, please, please assure the citizens of York that the new Milky Bar Raisen and Biscuit contains 0% Palm Oil.
[quote][p][bold]jimmym73[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]billy shears[/bold] wrote: Nic free advert for Nestle. Hardly news though is it? By the way, Nestle is nt York based, they just have the old rowntrees factory in York.[/p][/quote]James from Nestle here. York is the head office for Nestle Confectionery and it also houses a number of non confectionery divisions such as Nestle Business Services and Nestle 1st Choice and from october the new UK consumer services team for Nespresso will be based here. Of the 2,000 people who work on the York site, only half of those are involved in confectionery.[/p][/quote]Hi James, please, please assure the citizens of York that the new Milky Bar Raisen and Biscuit contains 0% Palm Oil. westyorkie
  • Score: 0

6:02pm Mon 12 Jul 10

yorkbornandbred says...

AdmiralNN wrote:
Anyone interested type in 'most hated companies' on google and read why Nestle is hated even more than BP!!
Very helpful. Let's all boycott them both and put 2000 York people out of work in the first instance and hit millions of British pensions in the second. What a fine economist's brain you have. Salve mea...
[quote][p][bold]AdmiralNN[/bold] wrote: Anyone interested type in 'most hated companies' on google and read why Nestle is hated even more than BP!![/p][/quote]Very helpful. Let's all boycott them both and put 2000 York people out of work in the first instance and hit millions of British pensions in the second. What a fine economist's brain you have. Salve mea... yorkbornandbred
  • Score: 0

7:20pm Mon 12 Jul 10

Garrowby Turnoff says...

These are ruddy idiotic posts attacking York's traditional main employer. No wonder York businesses are sliding down whatsit creek without a paddle.
These are ruddy idiotic posts attacking York's traditional main employer. No wonder York businesses are sliding down whatsit creek without a paddle. Garrowby Turnoff
  • Score: 0

9:45pm Mon 12 Jul 10

piaggio says...

well after working?? there for 32 years,,,am i bothered
well after working?? there for 32 years,,,am i bothered piaggio
  • Score: 0

8:49am Tue 13 Jul 10

AdmiralNN says...

yorkbornandbred wrote:
AdmiralNN wrote: Anyone interested type in 'most hated companies' on google and read why Nestle is hated even more than BP!!
Very helpful. Let's all boycott them both and put 2000 York people out of work in the first instance and hit millions of British pensions in the second. What a fine economist's brain you have. Salve mea...
Id rather have an arms factory, at least thats transparent.
[quote][p][bold]yorkbornandbred[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AdmiralNN[/bold] wrote: Anyone interested type in 'most hated companies' on google and read why Nestle is hated even more than BP!![/p][/quote]Very helpful. Let's all boycott them both and put 2000 York people out of work in the first instance and hit millions of British pensions in the second. What a fine economist's brain you have. Salve mea...[/p][/quote]Id rather have an arms factory, at least thats transparent. AdmiralNN
  • Score: 0

8:53am Tue 13 Jul 10

Alfred The Great says...

Hey man from Garrowby, keep up with the times, " traditional main employer" might have been true 25 years ago, have you not heard of Aviva, The Council etc, far bigger than Nestle, what a ruddy idiotic post.
Hey man from Garrowby, keep up with the times, " traditional main employer" might have been true 25 years ago, have you not heard of Aviva, The Council etc, far bigger than Nestle, what a ruddy idiotic post. Alfred The Great
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree