A TEENAGER who claimed she had been sexually assaulted in York city-centre made the claim up, police said today.
Officers sealed off Friargate between Castlegate and Clifford Street last Thursday and appealed for information after a 19-year-old woman claimed she had been attacked by two men shortly after leaving Yates Wine Lodge.
However, she has now admitted the supposed attack did not take place. She herself could now face charges.
DCI Matt Walker, York CID, said: “The withdrawal of this allegation follows a detailed and thorough investigation by detectives.
“Although I am able to reassure people that this incident did not happen, I do not want any victims of this appalling crime to feel that we will not deal with their case with the utmost seriousness.
“We treat all reports of sexual assaults very seriously. In all cases, a key priority for the investigating officers is ensuring that the victims receive the care and support they need.
“If you are the victim of sexual assault, I urge you to contact the police so that we can bring the offender to justice.”