Teachers strike to affect 26 York schools

Teachers strike to affect 26 York school

Teachers strike to affect 26 York school

Updated in News

CITY of York Council has released a list of planned school closures and partial closures as teachers prepare to stage a one-day strike this week.

Of the 65 state schools in York, head teachers at 26 schools have so far notified the council that some or all of their classes will be affected, but several have yet to say whether they will be affected or not.

The National Union of Teachers has called out its members for a nationwide strike on Wednesday in a dispute with the Government over workloads, bureaucracy, performance-related pay and unfair pension changes.

Five schools will be completely closed: Acomb Primary School, Skelton Primary School, Stockton-on-the-Forest Primary School, Yearsley Grove Primary School and Hob Moor Oaks Special School.

Six of the city's secondary schools are expecting to be open as usual. Archbishop Holgate's School and Joseph Rowntree School have both said they will only be partially open and the education authority has yet to release details about Manor and Millthorpe Schools.

Eighteen primary schools are also expecting to be partially closed, and are telling parents whether their children will be affected. Archbishop Holgate's School has said Year 10 pupils on work experience assignments will not be affected.

The 18 partially-closed primary schools will be: Archbishop of York's Junior, Bishopthorpe Infant, Copmanthorpe, Dunnington, Elvington, Fishergate, Headlands, Hempland, Hob Moor Primary, Huntington Primary, Knavesmire, Lord Deramore's, Naburn, St Oswald's, St Paul's, St Wilfrid's, Westfield and Wigginton. Applefields Special School will also be partially closed.

There are more than 23,000 pupils in York schools including academy schools and those run in partnership arrangements with outside bodies such as the Church of England and the Roman Catholic Church.

North Yorkshire County Council had not released details of their school closures at the time of publication.

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:14am Mon 24 Mar 14

Stevie D says...

Up-to-date info on York schools available on the council's website: www.york.gov.uk/scho
olclosures
.

Currently shows that 31 schools in York (ie nearly half) will be open as normal for all classes, but The Press won't report that...
Up-to-date info on York schools available on the council's website: [bold]www.york.gov.uk/scho olclosures[/bold]. Currently shows that 31 schools in York (ie nearly half) will be open as normal for all classes, but The Press won't report that... Stevie D
  • Score: 10

10:35am Mon 24 Mar 14

Warren Z says...

Are they demanding more holidays?
Are they demanding more holidays? Warren Z
  • Score: -8

11:16am Mon 24 Mar 14

electricwarrior says...

Warren Z wrote:
Are they demanding more holidays?
Maybe more respect.
[quote][p][bold]Warren Z[/bold] wrote: Are they demanding more holidays?[/p][/quote]Maybe more respect. electricwarrior
  • Score: 26

1:45pm Mon 24 Mar 14

YorkPatrol says...

Here we go again..... well done teachers!

I hope the parents are going to charge you for taking thier kids out of school
Here we go again..... well done teachers! I hope the parents are going to charge you for taking thier kids out of school YorkPatrol
  • Score: -1

2:20pm Mon 24 Mar 14

MouseHouse says...

Teachers fight is my fight. Good luck.
Teachers fight is my fight. Good luck. MouseHouse
  • Score: 1

3:24pm Mon 24 Mar 14

YorkPatrol says...

Warren Z wrote:
Are they demanding more holidays?
Yes, 365 days a year

I bet they are gutted it did'nt snow this winter
[quote][p][bold]Warren Z[/bold] wrote: Are they demanding more holidays?[/p][/quote]Yes, 365 days a year I bet they are gutted it did'nt snow this winter YorkPatrol
  • Score: -9

5:04pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Yorkshine1 says...

Warren Z wrote:
Are they demanding more holidays?
is that the holidays teachers spend planning and marking and generally catching up on admin? I know too many teachers to know that this is a true reflection of their jobs.
[quote][p][bold]Warren Z[/bold] wrote: Are they demanding more holidays?[/p][/quote]is that the holidays teachers spend planning and marking and generally catching up on admin? I know too many teachers to know that this is a true reflection of their jobs. Yorkshine1
  • Score: 10

5:18pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Owain ap Llwyd says...

YorkPatrol wrote:
Here we go again..... well done teachers!

I hope the parents are going to charge you for taking thier kids out of school
Well, YorkPatrol, do you know the difference between "THIER" and "THEIR"?
If not, ask a teacher.
[quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: Here we go again..... well done teachers! I hope the parents are going to charge you for taking thier kids out of school[/p][/quote]Well, YorkPatrol, do you know the difference between "THIER" and "THEIR"? If not, ask a teacher. Owain ap Llwyd
  • Score: 10

6:00pm Mon 24 Mar 14

TismeMrsP says...

Owain ap Llwyd wrote:
YorkPatrol wrote:
Here we go again..... well done teachers!

I hope the parents are going to charge you for taking thier kids out of school
Well, YorkPatrol, do you know the difference between "THIER" and "THEIR"?
If not, ask a teacher.
Everytime there's an article regarding schools YorkPatrol has something nasty and negative to say about it. Seems to me that he/she didn't have a good time at school and has rather large chips on THEIR shoulders!!
[quote][p][bold]Owain ap Llwyd[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: Here we go again..... well done teachers! I hope the parents are going to charge you for taking thier kids out of school[/p][/quote]Well, YorkPatrol, do you know the difference between "THIER" and "THEIR"? If not, ask a teacher.[/p][/quote]Everytime there's an article regarding schools YorkPatrol has something nasty and negative to say about it. Seems to me that he/she didn't have a good time at school and has rather large chips on THEIR shoulders!! TismeMrsP
  • Score: 8

2:50am Tue 25 Mar 14

Magicman! says...

Yearsley Grove school is to be shut on Wednesday... well then, it looks as if it might be safe to cycle down there at 3pm then for once.
Yearsley Grove school is to be shut on Wednesday... well then, it looks as if it might be safe to cycle down there at 3pm then for once. Magicman!
  • Score: -2

8:43am Tue 25 Mar 14

YorkPatrol says...

TismeMrsP wrote:
Owain ap Llwyd wrote:
YorkPatrol wrote: Here we go again..... well done teachers! I hope the parents are going to charge you for taking thier kids out of school
Well, YorkPatrol, do you know the difference between "THIER" and "THEIR"? If not, ask a teacher.
Everytime there's an article regarding schools YorkPatrol has something nasty and negative to say about it. Seems to me that he/she didn't have a good time at school and has rather large chips on THEIR shoulders!!
Not really - I just find the whole subject a total joke.... Training days, strikes, snow... The poor me, hard done to teacher attitude – A great example to set the kids

Teachers need to wake up and get into the real world – they don’t know they are born, an absolute laughing stock

I had an ok time at school – nothing to right home about but even back then the teachers were a bunch of workshy jobsworths – sat in the staffroom smoking and drinking coffee every half an hour, two hour lunch breaks, breaks in the morning, breaks in the afternoon, late starts, early finishes…… you couldn’t make it up

Thank you for the spelling lesson – how very pedantic
[quote][p][bold]TismeMrsP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Owain ap Llwyd[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: Here we go again..... well done teachers! I hope the parents are going to charge you for taking thier kids out of school[/p][/quote]Well, YorkPatrol, do you know the difference between "THIER" and "THEIR"? If not, ask a teacher.[/p][/quote]Everytime there's an article regarding schools YorkPatrol has something nasty and negative to say about it. Seems to me that he/she didn't have a good time at school and has rather large chips on THEIR shoulders!![/p][/quote]Not really - I just find the whole subject a total joke.... Training days, strikes, snow... The poor me, hard done to teacher attitude – A great example to set the kids Teachers need to wake up and get into the real world – they don’t know they are born, an absolute laughing stock I had an ok time at school – nothing to right home about but even back then the teachers were a bunch of workshy jobsworths – sat in the staffroom smoking and drinking coffee every half an hour, two hour lunch breaks, breaks in the morning, breaks in the afternoon, late starts, early finishes…… you couldn’t make it up Thank you for the spelling lesson – how very pedantic YorkPatrol
  • Score: -6

12:11pm Tue 25 Mar 14

wimtroch says...

Currently shows that 31 schools in York (ie nearly half) will be open as normal for all classes, but The Press won't report that...

Which means that more than half will be shut. For what? More wages? Public sector workers (paid for by private industry workers, may I remind you) already earn more than those private sector workers who pay their wages, because Labour made sure for 13 years that the public sector always gets a pay rise, so they vote for them, whereas private sector wages stagnated and dropped. And still the public workers aren't happy. More holidays? People in some of the private sectors get 20 days off a year (incl. bank holidays). Compare that to how many? 90 - 100 days off a year for teachers. Considering the level of intelligence of the ordinary Brit, they're not even doing a good job, either. Better pension? Again, come and work in the private sector. The only thing I feel sorry for is the fact they have to teach out of control spoilt brats, whose parents are no role model whatsoever. But that is hardly this government's fault, Labour destroyed values for 13 years before that with their PC, molly-cuddling nanny-state, hope I don't hurt your feelings pathetic behaviour. So yes, teachers, who the hell do you think you are??
Currently shows that 31 schools in York (ie nearly half) will be open as normal for all classes, but The Press won't report that... Which means that more than half will be shut. For what? More wages? Public sector workers (paid for by private industry workers, may I remind you) already earn more than those private sector workers who pay their wages, because Labour made sure for 13 years that the public sector always gets a pay rise, so they vote for them, whereas private sector wages stagnated and dropped. And still the public workers aren't happy. More holidays? People in some of the private sectors get 20 days off a year (incl. bank holidays). Compare that to how many? 90 - 100 days off a year for teachers. Considering the level of intelligence of the ordinary Brit, they're not even doing a good job, either. Better pension? Again, come and work in the private sector. The only thing I feel sorry for is the fact they have to teach out of control spoilt brats, whose parents are no role model whatsoever. But that is hardly this government's fault, Labour destroyed values for 13 years before that with their PC, molly-cuddling nanny-state, hope I don't hurt your feelings pathetic behaviour. So yes, teachers, who the hell do you think you are?? wimtroch
  • Score: -7

1:53pm Tue 25 Mar 14

YorkPatrol says...

wimtroch wrote:
Currently shows that 31 schools in York (ie nearly half) will be open as normal for all classes, but The Press won't report that... Which means that more than half will be shut. For what? More wages? Public sector workers (paid for by private industry workers, may I remind you) already earn more than those private sector workers who pay their wages, because Labour made sure for 13 years that the public sector always gets a pay rise, so they vote for them, whereas private sector wages stagnated and dropped. And still the public workers aren't happy. More holidays? People in some of the private sectors get 20 days off a year (incl. bank holidays). Compare that to how many? 90 - 100 days off a year for teachers. Considering the level of intelligence of the ordinary Brit, they're not even doing a good job, either. Better pension? Again, come and work in the private sector. The only thing I feel sorry for is the fact they have to teach out of control spoilt brats, whose parents are no role model whatsoever. But that is hardly this government's fault, Labour destroyed values for 13 years before that with their PC, molly-cuddling nanny-state, hope I don't hurt your feelings pathetic behaviour. So yes, teachers, who the hell do you think you are??
Well said!
[quote][p][bold]wimtroch[/bold] wrote: Currently shows that 31 schools in York (ie nearly half) will be open as normal for all classes, but The Press won't report that... Which means that more than half will be shut. For what? More wages? Public sector workers (paid for by private industry workers, may I remind you) already earn more than those private sector workers who pay their wages, because Labour made sure for 13 years that the public sector always gets a pay rise, so they vote for them, whereas private sector wages stagnated and dropped. And still the public workers aren't happy. More holidays? People in some of the private sectors get 20 days off a year (incl. bank holidays). Compare that to how many? 90 - 100 days off a year for teachers. Considering the level of intelligence of the ordinary Brit, they're not even doing a good job, either. Better pension? Again, come and work in the private sector. The only thing I feel sorry for is the fact they have to teach out of control spoilt brats, whose parents are no role model whatsoever. But that is hardly this government's fault, Labour destroyed values for 13 years before that with their PC, molly-cuddling nanny-state, hope I don't hurt your feelings pathetic behaviour. So yes, teachers, who the hell do you think you are??[/p][/quote]Well said! YorkPatrol
  • Score: -1

4:23pm Tue 25 Mar 14

TismeMrsP says...

YorkPatrol wrote:
TismeMrsP wrote:
Owain ap Llwyd wrote:
YorkPatrol wrote: Here we go again..... well done teachers! I hope the parents are going to charge you for taking thier kids out of school
Well, YorkPatrol, do you know the difference between "THIER" and "THEIR"? If not, ask a teacher.
Everytime there's an article regarding schools YorkPatrol has something nasty and negative to say about it. Seems to me that he/she didn't have a good time at school and has rather large chips on THEIR shoulders!!
Not really - I just find the whole subject a total joke.... Training days, strikes, snow... The poor me, hard done to teacher attitude – A great example to set the kids

Teachers need to wake up and get into the real world – they don’t know they are born, an absolute laughing stock

I had an ok time at school – nothing to right home about but even back then the teachers were a bunch of workshy jobsworths – sat in the staffroom smoking and drinking coffee every half an hour, two hour lunch breaks, breaks in the morning, breaks in the afternoon, late starts, early finishes…… you couldn’t make it up

Thank you for the spelling lesson – how very pedantic
Well here is another spelling lesson...nothing to WRITE home about. I would love for you to go and visit a school (as it seems that your experience is from many years ago) and see what has changed. I dare you!!
[quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TismeMrsP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Owain ap Llwyd[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: Here we go again..... well done teachers! I hope the parents are going to charge you for taking thier kids out of school[/p][/quote]Well, YorkPatrol, do you know the difference between "THIER" and "THEIR"? If not, ask a teacher.[/p][/quote]Everytime there's an article regarding schools YorkPatrol has something nasty and negative to say about it. Seems to me that he/she didn't have a good time at school and has rather large chips on THEIR shoulders!![/p][/quote]Not really - I just find the whole subject a total joke.... Training days, strikes, snow... The poor me, hard done to teacher attitude – A great example to set the kids Teachers need to wake up and get into the real world – they don’t know they are born, an absolute laughing stock I had an ok time at school – nothing to right home about but even back then the teachers were a bunch of workshy jobsworths – sat in the staffroom smoking and drinking coffee every half an hour, two hour lunch breaks, breaks in the morning, breaks in the afternoon, late starts, early finishes…… you couldn’t make it up Thank you for the spelling lesson – how very pedantic[/p][/quote]Well here is another spelling lesson...nothing to WRITE home about. I would love for you to go and visit a school (as it seems that your experience is from many years ago) and see what has changed. I dare you!! TismeMrsP
  • Score: 0

9:08pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Mowkie says...

wimtroch says...
...Public sector workers (paid for by private industry workers, may I remind you) already earn more than those private sector workers who pay their wages...

Every Tax Payer (private and public sector) could be said to pay the wages of public sector workers, just as it could be said that every consumer (including private and public sector workers, plus pensioners, plus benefit recipients etc) pays the wages of private sector workers by buying their goods or services.
It depends on your argument which bit of ammunition you want to use ...
wimtroch says... ...Public sector workers (paid for by private industry workers, may I remind you) already earn more than those private sector workers who pay their wages... Every Tax Payer (private and public sector) could be said to pay the wages of public sector workers, just as it could be said that every consumer (including private and public sector workers, plus pensioners, plus benefit recipients etc) pays the wages of private sector workers by buying their goods or services. It depends on your argument which bit of ammunition you want to use ... Mowkie
  • Score: -1

10:51pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Jimbo of York says...

Owain ap Llwyd wrote:
YorkPatrol wrote:
Here we go again..... well done teachers!

I hope the parents are going to charge you for taking thier kids out of school
Well, YorkPatrol, do you know the difference between "THIER" and "THEIR"?
If not, ask a teacher.
Don't let someone be upset when the grammar police point out an error, just put your arm around them and say 'Their, there, they're'. ;-)
[quote][p][bold]Owain ap Llwyd[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: Here we go again..... well done teachers! I hope the parents are going to charge you for taking thier kids out of school[/p][/quote]Well, YorkPatrol, do you know the difference between "THIER" and "THEIR"? If not, ask a teacher.[/p][/quote]Don't let someone be upset when the grammar police point out an error, just put your arm around them and say 'Their, there, they're'. ;-) Jimbo of York
  • Score: 1

12:09pm Wed 26 Mar 14

wimtroch says...

Yes Mowkie, that is why companies go bust if people do not buy their products; they have to provide quality to stay alive, something not crucial to the teacher's job, is it? Teachers are paid by whom? And who funds that? Among others, tax payers out of the private sector, who, on average earn less than public sector workers and benefit scroungers (on netto income)
Yes Mowkie, that is why companies go bust if people do not buy their products; they have to provide quality to stay alive, something not crucial to the teacher's job, is it? Teachers are paid by whom? And who funds that? Among others, tax payers out of the private sector, who, on average earn less than public sector workers and benefit scroungers (on netto income) wimtroch
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree