Cable work blamed for cycle path flood

York Press: The flooded cycle path near Ambleside Avenue in Osbaldwick The flooded cycle path near Ambleside Avenue in Osbaldwick

CYCLISTS and pedestrians are finding their way along a York cycle path repeatedly blocked by flooding, following work to bury power cables underground.

Flooding problems have plagued the track, to the rear of Ambleside Avenue in Osbaldwick, for the past couple of years, according to local independent councillor Mark Warters.

Coun Warters said the track was permanently impassable in winter and the same problems even arose in summer following rain.

Pedestrians trying instead to walk along the verges had turned them into quagmires.

“It’s an absolute disgrace that this has been allowed to go on for so long when it’s an easy problem to solve,” he said.

He said the track had been well drained until it was dug up some years ago as part of a scheme to put overhead power cables underground, associated with the Joseph Rowntree Housing Trust’s 540-home Derwenthorpe project nearby.

He claimed the reinstated tarmac section had been put in with the wrong camber, so that instead of water running off down a drop, it now gathered on the track forming a four-inch deep lake.

A spokesman for the trust said at the last Derwenthorpe Advisory Sub-committee meeting it had restated its commitment to help undertake works necessary to alleviate the issues relating to the Foss Islands Sustrans cycle track. 

“We have committed to work with partners to achieve this, including the charity Sustrans, who are responsible for the link,” he said.

“We recognise the inconvenience this causes and we are working to get this done as soon as we can.”

A Sustrans spokesman said it was aware of the flooding problems on the cycleway.

“We understand that the flooding has been caused by recent electrical engineering work nearby,” he said.

“This has been difficult to solve due to issues around responsibility for funding any correctional engineering work.

“We recognise the problems to the public this causes and are working closely with the Joseph Rowntree Housing Trust to come up with a solution as quickly as possible.”

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:09am Wed 12 Feb 14

roskoboskovic says...

what they need is this to become a student cycle route.after a lifetime of having to negotiate a flooded,rutted and muddy path we have now been given a newly tarmacced thoroughfare through the kilburn rd allotments.the reason?students were detoured because of cable work on their normal route,and after only two weeks of the poor dears getting their converses soaked a new path was laid.presumably this was paid for by the cable contractors,the university or ycc under pressure from york university.
what they need is this to become a student cycle route.after a lifetime of having to negotiate a flooded,rutted and muddy path we have now been given a newly tarmacced thoroughfare through the kilburn rd allotments.the reason?students were detoured because of cable work on their normal route,and after only two weeks of the poor dears getting their converses soaked a new path was laid.presumably this was paid for by the cable contractors,the university or ycc under pressure from york university. roskoboskovic

11:32am Wed 12 Feb 14

Bigwood says...

Or maybe the cabling contractors had to do it as a sweetener to the allotment tenants? The path would have been damaged by the increased footfall of "converse wearing dears" who were using the allotments as an alternative route while the barracks path was closed.
Whatever the reason, you should be glad of the new path, but instead you chose to come on here with a bitter rant.
Or maybe the cabling contractors had to do it as a sweetener to the allotment tenants? The path would have been damaged by the increased footfall of "converse wearing dears" who were using the allotments as an alternative route while the barracks path was closed. Whatever the reason, you should be glad of the new path, but instead you chose to come on here with a bitter rant. Bigwood

12:59pm Wed 12 Feb 14

Buzzz Light-year says...

roskoboskovic wrote:
what they need is this to become a student cycle route.after a lifetime of having to negotiate a flooded,rutted and muddy path we have now been given a newly tarmacced thoroughfare through the kilburn rd allotments.the reason?students were detoured because of cable work on their normal route,and after only two weeks of the poor dears getting their converses soaked a new path was laid.presumably this was paid for by the cable contractors,the university or ycc under pressure from york university.
This is the second time you've rolled out this wrong and prejudiced rant.
You make yourself look bitter and twisted.

I can tell you I know for a fact that you are wrong.

People should more careful with bandying about allegations about people and organisations. Good job you don't live in the US.
[quote][p][bold]roskoboskovic[/bold] wrote: what they need is this to become a student cycle route.after a lifetime of having to negotiate a flooded,rutted and muddy path we have now been given a newly tarmacced thoroughfare through the kilburn rd allotments.the reason?students were detoured because of cable work on their normal route,and after only two weeks of the poor dears getting their converses soaked a new path was laid.presumably this was paid for by the cable contractors,the university or ycc under pressure from york university.[/p][/quote]This is the second time you've rolled out this wrong and prejudiced rant. You make yourself look bitter and twisted. I can tell you I know for a fact that you are wrong. People should more careful with bandying about allegations about people and organisations. Good job you don't live in the US. Buzzz Light-year

1:03pm Wed 12 Feb 14

Buzzz Light-year says...

It's terrible that this cycle path is in this state, where will people walk their dogs and smash bottles?
It's terrible that this cycle path is in this state, where will people walk their dogs and smash bottles? Buzzz Light-year

3:50pm Wed 12 Feb 14

Garrowby Turnoff says...

There's still no sign of any cyclists using a very expensive new bicycle track at the south side of the ring road from Haxby Road to Clifton Moor.
There's still no sign of any cyclists using a very expensive new bicycle track at the south side of the ring road from Haxby Road to Clifton Moor. Garrowby Turnoff

4:50pm Wed 12 Feb 14

AnotherPointofView says...

Garrowby Turnoff wrote:
There's still no sign of any cyclists using a very expensive new bicycle track at the south side of the ring road from Haxby Road to Clifton Moor.
Just wait until piddlin' paul tells you it's not finished.....

It's true cyclists on this path are as rare as rocking horse poo. Whether it's completely finished or not it irrelevent, it's still the route any cyclist would take from Haxby to/from Clifton Moor. As cyclists don't use it, it goes to show what a shocking waste of £900,000 it is.
[quote][p][bold]Garrowby Turnoff[/bold] wrote: There's still no sign of any cyclists using a very expensive new bicycle track at the south side of the ring road from Haxby Road to Clifton Moor.[/p][/quote]Just wait until piddlin' paul tells you it's not finished..... It's true cyclists on this path are as rare as rocking horse poo. Whether it's completely finished or not it irrelevent, it's still the route any cyclist would take from Haxby to/from Clifton Moor. As cyclists don't use it, it goes to show what a shocking waste of £900,000 it is. AnotherPointofView

5:43pm Wed 12 Feb 14

tollymtb says...

I ride through this puddle on the cycle track everyday on my way to and from work yes it is annoying but its only a bit of water deal with it I have for this long it could be worse we could live down south!!!!
I ride through this puddle on the cycle track everyday on my way to and from work yes it is annoying but its only a bit of water deal with it I have for this long it could be worse we could live down south!!!! tollymtb

6:17pm Wed 12 Feb 14

Oyy you says...

Buzzz Light-year wrote:
It's terrible that this cycle path is in this state, where will people walk their dogs and smash bottles?
Oh come on, all the local drug dealers use that path, why should they get their hundred quid trainers wet.....
[quote][p][bold]Buzzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: It's terrible that this cycle path is in this state, where will people walk their dogs and smash bottles?[/p][/quote]Oh come on, all the local drug dealers use that path, why should they get their hundred quid trainers wet..... Oyy you

3:33am Thu 13 Feb 14

Magicman! says...

tollymtb wrote:
I ride through this puddle on the cycle track everyday on my way to and from work yes it is annoying but its only a bit of water deal with it I have for this long it could be worse we could live down south!!!!
How often do you have to grease your chain, replace wheels due to seized axles, replace bottom brackets due to seized bearings, replace pedals for the same reason.... If you're cycling through a length of standing water like that every day, you're seriously reducing the life of your bike and its components.

When that cycle route was closed for the cabling works, I had hoped the contractors would completely relay the surface of the track from Ambleside Avenue to Metcalfe Lane, as the current tarmac there is getting rutted and is very rough compared to the rest of the route (this in turn increases friction and therefore increases energy expended in using the route).... instead all the contractors did was close the route TWICE within a year for a period of 3 months and 2 months respectively, and then reopened it with its own lake. What's more is that the route from Metcalfe Lane to Meadlands is currently under water too (and was for several weeks for the last 2 years), which means for anybody walking/cycling from Osbaldwick to Heworth has no dry route at all without a significant diversion. Raise the level of the path and make gullies along the edges going to a water balancing pond somewhere on the Derwenthorpe site (which would likely be linked to the beck by a pipeline). A contractor changed the lighting along the path up to Tang Hall bridge about a year ago (and I can confirm it wasn't the council's doing, as the lads who do the work specifically said they didn't even know the lights had gone - the old lights technically being council property that could have been reused elsewhere), and several lights have never worked since they were fitted - just another issue that needs rectifying.
[quote][p][bold]tollymtb[/bold] wrote: I ride through this puddle on the cycle track everyday on my way to and from work yes it is annoying but its only a bit of water deal with it I have for this long it could be worse we could live down south!!!![/p][/quote]How often do you have to grease your chain, replace wheels due to seized axles, replace bottom brackets due to seized bearings, replace pedals for the same reason.... If you're cycling through a length of standing water like that every day, you're seriously reducing the life of your bike and its components. When that cycle route was closed for the cabling works, I had hoped the contractors would completely relay the surface of the track from Ambleside Avenue to Metcalfe Lane, as the current tarmac there is getting rutted and is very rough compared to the rest of the route (this in turn increases friction and therefore increases energy expended in using the route).... instead all the contractors did was close the route TWICE within a year for a period of 3 months and 2 months respectively, and then reopened it with its own lake. What's more is that the route from Metcalfe Lane to Meadlands is currently under water too (and was for several weeks for the last 2 years), which means for anybody walking/cycling from Osbaldwick to Heworth has no dry route at all without a significant diversion. Raise the level of the path and make gullies along the edges going to a water balancing pond somewhere on the Derwenthorpe site (which would likely be linked to the beck by a pipeline). A contractor changed the lighting along the path up to Tang Hall bridge about a year ago (and I can confirm it wasn't the council's doing, as the lads who do the work specifically said they didn't even know the lights had gone - the old lights technically being council property that could have been reused elsewhere), and several lights have never worked since they were fitted - just another issue that needs rectifying. Magicman!

7:13am Thu 13 Feb 14

mortandindi says...

who's bothered.......
who's bothered....... mortandindi

8:44am Thu 13 Feb 14

pedalling paul says...

AnotherPointofView wrote:
Garrowby Turnoff wrote:
There's still no sign of any cyclists using a very expensive new bicycle track at the south side of the ring road from Haxby Road to Clifton Moor.
Just wait until piddlin' paul tells you it's not finished.....

It's true cyclists on this path are as rare as rocking horse poo. Whether it's completely finished or not it irrelevent, it's still the route any cyclist would take from Haxby to/from Clifton Moor. As cyclists don't use it, it goes to show what a shocking waste of £900,000 it is.
How many more times...it's NOT FINISHED!! Would you drive down a part constructed motorway............
?

As for the path mentioned in the main article, I would be cagey about pedalling along it.... I might get electrocuted by those wet underground cables and go up in a cloud of smoke....!
[quote][p][bold]AnotherPointofView[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Garrowby Turnoff[/bold] wrote: There's still no sign of any cyclists using a very expensive new bicycle track at the south side of the ring road from Haxby Road to Clifton Moor.[/p][/quote]Just wait until piddlin' paul tells you it's not finished..... It's true cyclists on this path are as rare as rocking horse poo. Whether it's completely finished or not it irrelevent, it's still the route any cyclist would take from Haxby to/from Clifton Moor. As cyclists don't use it, it goes to show what a shocking waste of £900,000 it is.[/p][/quote]How many more times...it's NOT FINISHED!! Would you drive down a part constructed motorway............ ? As for the path mentioned in the main article, I would be cagey about pedalling along it.... I might get electrocuted by those wet underground cables and go up in a cloud of smoke....! pedalling paul

5:05am Fri 14 Feb 14

Magicman! says...

AnotherPointofView wrote:
Garrowby Turnoff wrote:
There's still no sign of any cyclists using a very expensive new bicycle track at the south side of the ring road from Haxby Road to Clifton Moor.
Just wait until piddlin' paul tells you it's not finished.....

It's true cyclists on this path are as rare as rocking horse poo. Whether it's completely finished or not it irrelevent, it's still the route any cyclist would take from Haxby to/from Clifton Moor. As cyclists don't use it, it goes to show what a shocking waste of £900,000 it is.
Would you drive along an unfinished road that hasn't got a bridge over a railway line in place yet?
[quote][p][bold]AnotherPointofView[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Garrowby Turnoff[/bold] wrote: There's still no sign of any cyclists using a very expensive new bicycle track at the south side of the ring road from Haxby Road to Clifton Moor.[/p][/quote]Just wait until piddlin' paul tells you it's not finished..... It's true cyclists on this path are as rare as rocking horse poo. Whether it's completely finished or not it irrelevent, it's still the route any cyclist would take from Haxby to/from Clifton Moor. As cyclists don't use it, it goes to show what a shocking waste of £900,000 it is.[/p][/quote]Would you drive along an unfinished road that hasn't got a bridge over a railway line in place yet? Magicman!

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree