New café bar to open in Fossgate, York

York Press: Sarah and Michael Lakin toast their new café-bar in Fossgate Sarah and Michael Lakin toast their new café-bar in Fossgate

PLANS are afoot for a new city- centre café bar in York.

Landscape architect Sarah Lakin and her brother Michael plan to open a specialist beer and wine café in an empty shop at 25 Fossgate, formerly Chico’s Café opposite the entrance to the Merchant Adventurer’s Hall.

North Yorkshire Police initially raised objections to an application for an alcohol licence as they want City of York Council’s Cumulative Impact Zone (CIZ) to be extended to include Back Swinegate, Goodramgate and Fossgate, making it harder for new premises to get a licence or for existing venues to stay open longer.

They say alcohol-related trouble and thefts in the area had increased over the last three years and a consultation on the issue ends next month.

But Miss Lakin said an agreement had been reached with the police. She said her plan is to take a “continental approach” to serving drinks with different specialist beers and wines accompanied by cheeses, cakes or snacks and to convert the derelict yard at the back of the property into a garden with outdoor seating.

A spokeswoman for City of York Council said a planned licensing hearing due to take place on Friday had been cancelled because the police agreed a number of conditions with the applicant.

Miss Lakin said: “We are trying to look at it from a continental point of view with mix and match food and drink menus.

“We are wanting food to be available, it’s not going to be a drinking den.

“The design we have submitted will have glass doors at the rear going out in to the courtyard, opening up the space so that from the street you will be able to see straight through to outside.”

Miss Lakin said that ideally she would like to be open by the beginning of April. The licence was granted for the bar to serve alcohol from Monday to Saturday between 11am and 12.30am and on Sundays between 11am and midnight.

Comments (37)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:15am Wed 5 Feb 14

notmyrealname says...

.Good luck to them anyway .but does the opening of another cafe/bar in York really justify a story ....and do businesses ever take into account the competition in the area they are opening in ?
.Good luck to them anyway .but does the opening of another cafe/bar in York really justify a story ....and do businesses ever take into account the competition in the area they are opening in ? notmyrealname
  • Score: 26

9:22am Wed 5 Feb 14

Woody G Mellor says...

Great news. I look forward to visiting. Personally speaking, the more choice the better. It also encourages other similar outlets to up their game and service. Nowt wrong with competition in my book. The consumer comes out the winner.
Great news. I look forward to visiting. Personally speaking, the more choice the better. It also encourages other similar outlets to up their game and service. Nowt wrong with competition in my book. The consumer comes out the winner. Woody G Mellor
  • Score: 45

9:46am Wed 5 Feb 14

BL2 says...

Woody G Mellor wrote:
Great news. I look forward to visiting. Personally speaking, the more choice the better. It also encourages other similar outlets to up their game and service. Nowt wrong with competition in my book. The consumer comes out the winner.
There's competition and then there is saturation... Sounds like it could be a nice place though.
[quote][p][bold]Woody G Mellor[/bold] wrote: Great news. I look forward to visiting. Personally speaking, the more choice the better. It also encourages other similar outlets to up their game and service. Nowt wrong with competition in my book. The consumer comes out the winner.[/p][/quote]There's competition and then there is saturation... Sounds like it could be a nice place though. BL2
  • Score: 25

9:48am Wed 5 Feb 14

MouseHouse says...

Woody G Mellor wrote:
Great news. I look forward to visiting. Personally speaking, the more choice the better. It also encourages other similar outlets to up their game and service. Nowt wrong with competition in my book. The consumer comes out the winner.
Like we have in gas, electricity, nanking and rail etc?

Cooperation achieves far more.
[quote][p][bold]Woody G Mellor[/bold] wrote: Great news. I look forward to visiting. Personally speaking, the more choice the better. It also encourages other similar outlets to up their game and service. Nowt wrong with competition in my book. The consumer comes out the winner.[/p][/quote]Like we have in gas, electricity, nanking and rail etc? Cooperation achieves far more. MouseHouse
  • Score: -20

10:12am Wed 5 Feb 14

Woody G Mellor says...

MouseHouse wrote:
Woody G Mellor wrote:
Great news. I look forward to visiting. Personally speaking, the more choice the better. It also encourages other similar outlets to up their game and service. Nowt wrong with competition in my book. The consumer comes out the winner.
Like we have in gas, electricity, nanking and rail etc?

Cooperation achieves far more.
Yes. On both accounts.
[quote][p][bold]MouseHouse[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woody G Mellor[/bold] wrote: Great news. I look forward to visiting. Personally speaking, the more choice the better. It also encourages other similar outlets to up their game and service. Nowt wrong with competition in my book. The consumer comes out the winner.[/p][/quote]Like we have in gas, electricity, nanking and rail etc? Cooperation achieves far more.[/p][/quote]Yes. On both accounts. Woody G Mellor
  • Score: 11

10:32am Wed 5 Feb 14

malonemalone says...

give it 6 months and the shutters will be up..... sadly the majority of tourists come and go within a few hours which leaves people that drink in York and they are certainly not interested in the 'continental style' they just want to get totally hammered on cheap booze.
give it 6 months and the shutters will be up..... sadly the majority of tourists come and go within a few hours which leaves people that drink in York and they are certainly not interested in the 'continental style' they just want to get totally hammered on cheap booze. malonemalone
  • Score: -36

11:09am Wed 5 Feb 14

anistasia says...

This story is different it's a new cafe opening in one that's closed down so no gain in the amount of cafe's in the city.as we have far to many.so pleased a empty shop is in use again.
This story is different it's a new cafe opening in one that's closed down so no gain in the amount of cafe's in the city.as we have far to many.so pleased a empty shop is in use again. anistasia
  • Score: 17

11:48am Wed 5 Feb 14

Overproof says...

The police are completely out of touch - they didn't have the backbone to oppose the plethora of Express Supermarkets that have opened up (the real cause of the problem) and are picking on Cheese and Wine Cafes instead.
C'mon.
The police are completely out of touch - they didn't have the backbone to oppose the plethora of Express Supermarkets that have opened up (the real cause of the problem) and are picking on Cheese and Wine Cafes instead. C'mon. Overproof
  • Score: 35

11:53am Wed 5 Feb 14

roskoboskovic says...

competition means nothing in york and it certainly doesn t mean competetive pricing.take that new pub/bar in kings square they even have the gall to say that they don t sell any bog standard brand vodka only premium mega priced stuff.of course they only really want visitors/holidaymake
rs with cash to burn.
competition means nothing in york and it certainly doesn t mean competetive pricing.take that new pub/bar in kings square they even have the gall to say that they don t sell any bog standard brand vodka only premium mega priced stuff.of course they only really want visitors/holidaymake rs with cash to burn. roskoboskovic
  • Score: -3

12:07pm Wed 5 Feb 14

bishophill_lad says...

Overproof wrote:
The police are completely out of touch - they didn't have the backbone to oppose the plethora of Express Supermarkets that have opened up (the real cause of the problem) and are picking on Cheese and Wine Cafes instead.
C'mon.
Not sure how the express supermarkets are the real source of the problem. These tend just to provide a service of food and drink for people who live in the city centre (given that street drinking is banned in many areas of York so people who are out in town already shouldn't be getting their alcohol from them). Surely the bigger problem is the bars selling very cheap alcohol? Doesn't sound like this is going to be one of them.
[quote][p][bold]Overproof[/bold] wrote: The police are completely out of touch - they didn't have the backbone to oppose the plethora of Express Supermarkets that have opened up (the real cause of the problem) and are picking on Cheese and Wine Cafes instead. C'mon.[/p][/quote]Not sure how the express supermarkets are the real source of the problem. These tend just to provide a service of food and drink for people who live in the city centre (given that street drinking is banned in many areas of York so people who are out in town already shouldn't be getting their alcohol from them). Surely the bigger problem is the bars selling very cheap alcohol? Doesn't sound like this is going to be one of them. bishophill_lad
  • Score: 9

12:14pm Wed 5 Feb 14

ouseswimmer says...

notmyrealname wrote:
.Good luck to them anyway .but does the opening of another cafe/bar in York really justify a story ....and do businesses ever take into account the competition in the area they are opening in ?
The reason Starbucks became so successful was due to it opening another cafe almost next door to itself and found business actually improved. The more competition the better the business.
[quote][p][bold]notmyrealname[/bold] wrote: .Good luck to them anyway .but does the opening of another cafe/bar in York really justify a story ....and do businesses ever take into account the competition in the area they are opening in ?[/p][/quote]The reason Starbucks became so successful was due to it opening another cafe almost next door to itself and found business actually improved. The more competition the better the business. ouseswimmer
  • Score: -3

1:18pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Daley Mayall says...

Life span - 9 months max.

Good luck in proving me wrong.
Life span - 9 months max. Good luck in proving me wrong. Daley Mayall
  • Score: 1

2:07pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Teabag1 says...

as long as its not another tesco express thats good, good luck guys.
as long as its not another tesco express thats good, good luck guys. Teabag1
  • Score: 10

2:21pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Ignatius Lumpopo says...

How do you apply to be included in a "Cumulative Impact Zone"? Or to be excluded from one? In fact, what IS a "Cumulative Impact Zone"? And was the person who came up with such a pompous, pretentious name actually paid for doing so?
How do you apply to be included in a "Cumulative Impact Zone"? Or to be excluded from one? In fact, what IS a "Cumulative Impact Zone"? And was the person who came up with such a pompous, pretentious name actually paid for doing so? Ignatius Lumpopo
  • Score: 9

2:58pm Wed 5 Feb 14

far2bizzy says...

Ignatius Lumpopo wrote:
How do you apply to be included in a "Cumulative Impact Zone"? Or to be excluded from one? In fact, what IS a "Cumulative Impact Zone"? And was the person who came up with such a pompous, pretentious name actually paid for doing so?
Apparently :

'Cumulative impact' refers to the detrimental effect on the promotion of the licensing objectives caused when a significant number of licensed premises are concentrated in one area. This can impact on crime and disorder or public nuisance in that area.

A Cumulative Impact Policy creates a rebuttable presumption that any new application for a premises licence or major variation of one within a specific area, likely to add to the existing cumulative impact, will be refused.
[quote][p][bold]Ignatius Lumpopo[/bold] wrote: How do you apply to be included in a "Cumulative Impact Zone"? Or to be excluded from one? In fact, what IS a "Cumulative Impact Zone"? And was the person who came up with such a pompous, pretentious name actually paid for doing so?[/p][/quote]Apparently : 'Cumulative impact' refers to the detrimental effect on the promotion of the licensing objectives caused when a significant number of licensed premises are concentrated in one area. This can impact on crime and disorder or public nuisance in that area. A Cumulative Impact Policy creates a rebuttable presumption that any new application for a premises licence or major variation of one within a specific area, likely to add to the existing cumulative impact, will be refused. far2bizzy
  • Score: 4

3:41pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Pedro says...

bishophill_lad wrote:
Overproof wrote:
The police are completely out of touch - they didn't have the backbone to oppose the plethora of Express Supermarkets that have opened up (the real cause of the problem) and are picking on Cheese and Wine Cafes instead.
C'mon.
Not sure how the express supermarkets are the real source of the problem. These tend just to provide a service of food and drink for people who live in the city centre (given that street drinking is banned in many areas of York so people who are out in town already shouldn't be getting their alcohol from them). Surely the bigger problem is the bars selling very cheap alcohol? Doesn't sound like this is going to be one of them.
Why not put on your glasses and walk around York. Street drinking equals problem solved? They now drink out of brown paper bags on Stonebow. That is all that has changed.
[quote][p][bold]bishophill_lad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Overproof[/bold] wrote: The police are completely out of touch - they didn't have the backbone to oppose the plethora of Express Supermarkets that have opened up (the real cause of the problem) and are picking on Cheese and Wine Cafes instead. C'mon.[/p][/quote]Not sure how the express supermarkets are the real source of the problem. These tend just to provide a service of food and drink for people who live in the city centre (given that street drinking is banned in many areas of York so people who are out in town already shouldn't be getting their alcohol from them). Surely the bigger problem is the bars selling very cheap alcohol? Doesn't sound like this is going to be one of them.[/p][/quote]Why not put on your glasses and walk around York. Street drinking equals problem solved? They now drink out of brown paper bags on Stonebow. That is all that has changed. Pedro
  • Score: 1

3:50pm Wed 5 Feb 14

the original Homer says...

malonemalone wrote:
give it 6 months and the shutters will be up..... sadly the majority of tourists come and go within a few hours which leaves people that drink in York and they are certainly not interested in the 'continental style' they just want to get totally hammered on cheap booze.
Good luck to them. I hope this succeeds.

I think by "people that drink in York" you probably meant the Saturday stag and hen parties, but there are other people that drink in York.

I drink in York, I'm not a tourist, and I don't agree that I am "certainly not interested in the 'continental style'", nor that I "just want to get totally hammered on cheap booze."

Added to which, a significant number or tourists and people on business stay in York overnight and want eating / drinking places which aren't of the mass produced plastic variety.

They have chosen an ideal location for a continental style establishment. On the fringe of the tourist area, but not on the main stag and hen party routes.

You may be right about the life expectancy, but I hope you're wrong.
[quote][p][bold]malonemalone[/bold] wrote: give it 6 months and the shutters will be up..... sadly the majority of tourists come and go within a few hours which leaves people that drink in York and they are certainly not interested in the 'continental style' they just want to get totally hammered on cheap booze.[/p][/quote]Good luck to them. I hope this succeeds. I think by "people that drink in York" you probably meant the Saturday stag and hen parties, but there are other people that drink in York. I drink in York, I'm not a tourist, and I don't agree that I am "certainly not interested in the 'continental style'", nor that I "just want to get totally hammered on cheap booze." Added to which, a significant number or tourists and people on business stay in York overnight and want eating / drinking places which aren't of the mass produced plastic variety. They have chosen an ideal location for a continental style establishment. On the fringe of the tourist area, but not on the main stag and hen party routes. You may be right about the life expectancy, but I hope you're wrong. the original Homer
  • Score: 18

4:57pm Wed 5 Feb 14

JHardacre says...

roskoboskovic wrote:
competition means nothing in york and it certainly doesn t mean competetive pricing.take that new pub/bar in kings square they even have the gall to say that they don t sell any bog standard brand vodka only premium mega priced stuff.of course they only really want visitors/holidaymake

rs with cash to burn.
What makes you think only visitors want to buy premium products? Do you have such a low opinion of the people who actually live here?
[quote][p][bold]roskoboskovic[/bold] wrote: competition means nothing in york and it certainly doesn t mean competetive pricing.take that new pub/bar in kings square they even have the gall to say that they don t sell any bog standard brand vodka only premium mega priced stuff.of course they only really want visitors/holidaymake rs with cash to burn.[/p][/quote]What makes you think only visitors want to buy premium products? Do you have such a low opinion of the people who actually live here? JHardacre
  • Score: 16

5:03pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Ignatius Lumpopo says...

far2bizzy wrote:
Ignatius Lumpopo wrote:
How do you apply to be included in a "Cumulative Impact Zone"? Or to be excluded from one? In fact, what IS a "Cumulative Impact Zone"? And was the person who came up with such a pompous, pretentious name actually paid for doing so?
Apparently :

'Cumulative impact' refers to the detrimental effect on the promotion of the licensing objectives caused when a significant number of licensed premises are concentrated in one area. This can impact on crime and disorder or public nuisance in that area.

A Cumulative Impact Policy creates a rebuttable presumption that any new application for a premises licence or major variation of one within a specific area, likely to add to the existing cumulative impact, will be refused.
You sweet talker, you...
[quote][p][bold]far2bizzy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ignatius Lumpopo[/bold] wrote: How do you apply to be included in a "Cumulative Impact Zone"? Or to be excluded from one? In fact, what IS a "Cumulative Impact Zone"? And was the person who came up with such a pompous, pretentious name actually paid for doing so?[/p][/quote]Apparently : 'Cumulative impact' refers to the detrimental effect on the promotion of the licensing objectives caused when a significant number of licensed premises are concentrated in one area. This can impact on crime and disorder or public nuisance in that area. A Cumulative Impact Policy creates a rebuttable presumption that any new application for a premises licence or major variation of one within a specific area, likely to add to the existing cumulative impact, will be refused.[/p][/quote]You sweet talker, you... Ignatius Lumpopo
  • Score: 0

5:12pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Woody G Mellor says...

Give me a premium bar, with premium brands, with premium service, and I'll happily pay premium prices any day over the like's of those cheap drink promotion pits in Rougier Street and the like!
Give me a premium bar, with premium brands, with premium service, and I'll happily pay premium prices any day over the like's of those cheap drink promotion pits in Rougier Street and the like! Woody G Mellor
  • Score: 16

6:30pm Wed 5 Feb 14

JHardacre says...

Woody G Mellor wrote:
Give me a premium bar, with premium brands, with premium service, and I'll happily pay premium prices any day over the like's of those cheap drink promotion pits in Rougier Street and the like!
Each to his own. It's called variety.
[quote][p][bold]Woody G Mellor[/bold] wrote: Give me a premium bar, with premium brands, with premium service, and I'll happily pay premium prices any day over the like's of those cheap drink promotion pits in Rougier Street and the like![/p][/quote]Each to his own. It's called variety. JHardacre
  • Score: 0

6:34pm Wed 5 Feb 14

bloodaxe says...

malonemalone wrote:
give it 6 months and the shutters will be up..... sadly the majority of tourists come and go within a few hours which leaves people that drink in York and they are certainly not interested in the 'continental style' they just want to get totally hammered on cheap booze.
...as it were.
[quote][p][bold]malonemalone[/bold] wrote: give it 6 months and the shutters will be up..... sadly the majority of tourists come and go within a few hours which leaves people that drink in York and they are certainly not interested in the 'continental style' they just want to get totally hammered on cheap booze.[/p][/quote]...as it were. bloodaxe
  • Score: -5

6:35pm Wed 5 Feb 14

bloodaxe says...

roskoboskovic wrote:
competition means nothing in york and it certainly doesn t mean competetive pricing.take that new pub/bar in kings square they even have the gall to say that they don t sell any bog standard brand vodka only premium mega priced stuff.of course they only really want visitors/holidaymake

rs with cash to burn.
Deep breath...
[quote][p][bold]roskoboskovic[/bold] wrote: competition means nothing in york and it certainly doesn t mean competetive pricing.take that new pub/bar in kings square they even have the gall to say that they don t sell any bog standard brand vodka only premium mega priced stuff.of course they only really want visitors/holidaymake rs with cash to burn.[/p][/quote]Deep breath... bloodaxe
  • Score: 2

6:44pm Wed 5 Feb 14

oi oi savaloy says...

good luck with this , i would sooner give you my money than give it to starbucks !
good luck with this , i would sooner give you my money than give it to starbucks ! oi oi savaloy
  • Score: 17

10:22pm Wed 5 Feb 14

TheFossgateSocial says...

Thanks for your good wishes guys. All valid points. We've made contact with several of the other traders on Fossgate (all small independents), they've been totally welcoming. Competition is part of business and they are just happy to see an empty building brought back in play and hopefully more people visiting the street. See you all soon!
Thanks for your good wishes guys. All valid points. We've made contact with several of the other traders on Fossgate (all small independents), they've been totally welcoming. Competition is part of business and they are just happy to see an empty building brought back in play and hopefully more people visiting the street. See you all soon! TheFossgateSocial
  • Score: 24

10:32pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Happytoliveinyork says...

malonemalone wrote:
give it 6 months and the shutters will be up..... sadly the majority of tourists come and go within a few hours which leaves people that drink in York and they are certainly not interested in the 'continental style' they just want to get totally hammered on cheap booze.
Errrrrmmmmmm.....wha
t about us York residents....who....
.perish the thought....might enjoy this kind of independent 'continental style' bar???
[quote][p][bold]malonemalone[/bold] wrote: give it 6 months and the shutters will be up..... sadly the majority of tourists come and go within a few hours which leaves people that drink in York and they are certainly not interested in the 'continental style' they just want to get totally hammered on cheap booze.[/p][/quote]Errrrrmmmmmm.....wha t about us York residents....who.... .perish the thought....might enjoy this kind of independent 'continental style' bar??? Happytoliveinyork
  • Score: 16

12:30am Thu 6 Feb 14

Non-corporate entity says...

bishophill_lad wrote:
Overproof wrote:
The police are completely out of touch - they didn't have the backbone to oppose the plethora of Express Supermarkets that have opened up (the real cause of the problem) and are picking on Cheese and Wine Cafes instead.
C'mon.
Not sure how the express supermarkets are the real source of the problem. These tend just to provide a service of food and drink for people who live in the city centre (given that street drinking is banned in many areas of York so people who are out in town already shouldn't be getting their alcohol from them). Surely the bigger problem is the bars selling very cheap alcohol? Doesn't sound like this is going to be one of them.
It's not the fault of local supermarkets selling alcohol or bars/pubs selling cheap alcohol but it is definitely the fault the door policy of these venues. Clearly well known louts and trouble causers shouldn't be allowed in anywhere in the city centre. Problem bars that appear to be harbouring these people are Yates, Slug and Lettuce (Ouse Bridge), Nags Head, Rumours, The Parish, Salvation and Society.
[quote][p][bold]bishophill_lad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Overproof[/bold] wrote: The police are completely out of touch - they didn't have the backbone to oppose the plethora of Express Supermarkets that have opened up (the real cause of the problem) and are picking on Cheese and Wine Cafes instead. C'mon.[/p][/quote]Not sure how the express supermarkets are the real source of the problem. These tend just to provide a service of food and drink for people who live in the city centre (given that street drinking is banned in many areas of York so people who are out in town already shouldn't be getting their alcohol from them). Surely the bigger problem is the bars selling very cheap alcohol? Doesn't sound like this is going to be one of them.[/p][/quote]It's not the fault of local supermarkets selling alcohol or bars/pubs selling cheap alcohol but it is definitely the fault the door policy of these venues. Clearly well known louts and trouble causers shouldn't be allowed in anywhere in the city centre. Problem bars that appear to be harbouring these people are Yates, Slug and Lettuce (Ouse Bridge), Nags Head, Rumours, The Parish, Salvation and Society. Non-corporate entity
  • Score: 7

9:05am Thu 6 Feb 14

dottyfred says...

This is great news ! People may say that the cake is only so big & more food related operations have an adverse effect on the existing outlets - research shows that what happens is the cake gets bigger ! This has been proven in Leeds with the opening of the Trinity which has lots of food/drink offers & has brought lots more people into the city centre !
I think York is doing a good job of saving itself from a retailing armageddon ,brought on by the out of town development ,by becoming a first class destination for food & drink . Just look at similar destinations across Europe that people visit where food & drink is a major part of the experience .
This is great news ! People may say that the cake is only so big & more food related operations have an adverse effect on the existing outlets - research shows that what happens is the cake gets bigger ! This has been proven in Leeds with the opening of the Trinity which has lots of food/drink offers & has brought lots more people into the city centre ! I think York is doing a good job of saving itself from a retailing armageddon ,brought on by the out of town development ,by becoming a first class destination for food & drink . Just look at similar destinations across Europe that people visit where food & drink is a major part of the experience . dottyfred
  • Score: 7

9:12am Thu 6 Feb 14

eeoodares says...

TheFossgateSocial wrote:
Thanks for your good wishes guys. All valid points. We've made contact with several of the other traders on Fossgate (all small independents), they've been totally welcoming. Competition is part of business and they are just happy to see an empty building brought back in play and hopefully more people visiting the street. See you all soon!
I think it is a brilliant idea and a cracking location. I often use the eaty-drinky places along that road and I look forward to trying yours out too.
[quote][p][bold]TheFossgateSocial[/bold] wrote: Thanks for your good wishes guys. All valid points. We've made contact with several of the other traders on Fossgate (all small independents), they've been totally welcoming. Competition is part of business and they are just happy to see an empty building brought back in play and hopefully more people visiting the street. See you all soon![/p][/quote]I think it is a brilliant idea and a cracking location. I often use the eaty-drinky places along that road and I look forward to trying yours out too. eeoodares
  • Score: 5

9:15am Thu 6 Feb 14

malonemalone says...

eeoodares wrote:
TheFossgateSocial wrote:
Thanks for your good wishes guys. All valid points. We've made contact with several of the other traders on Fossgate (all small independents), they've been totally welcoming. Competition is part of business and they are just happy to see an empty building brought back in play and hopefully more people visiting the street. See you all soon!
I think it is a brilliant idea and a cracking location. I often use the eaty-drinky places along that road and I look forward to trying yours out too.
but please don't use those cups you are holding in the picture as they are so uncomfortable to hold when you want a lovely big relaxing cup of something warm........and they look a bit pound shop
[quote][p][bold]eeoodares[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TheFossgateSocial[/bold] wrote: Thanks for your good wishes guys. All valid points. We've made contact with several of the other traders on Fossgate (all small independents), they've been totally welcoming. Competition is part of business and they are just happy to see an empty building brought back in play and hopefully more people visiting the street. See you all soon![/p][/quote]I think it is a brilliant idea and a cracking location. I often use the eaty-drinky places along that road and I look forward to trying yours out too.[/p][/quote]but please don't use those cups you are holding in the picture as they are so uncomfortable to hold when you want a lovely big relaxing cup of something warm........and they look a bit pound shop malonemalone
  • Score: 2

9:25am Thu 6 Feb 14

eeoodares says...

malonemalone wrote:
give it 6 months and the shutters will be up..... sadly the majority of tourists come and go within a few hours which leaves people that drink in York and they are certainly not interested in the 'continental style' they just want to get totally hammered on cheap booze.
If so few people stay overnight in York, why are there so many Guest Houses and Hotels, and why are so many more being built?

It gives me a chuckle when people like you who watch two series of the Apprentice start to think you are Alan Sugar!
[quote][p][bold]malonemalone[/bold] wrote: give it 6 months and the shutters will be up..... sadly the majority of tourists come and go within a few hours which leaves people that drink in York and they are certainly not interested in the 'continental style' they just want to get totally hammered on cheap booze.[/p][/quote]If so few people stay overnight in York, why are there so many Guest Houses and Hotels, and why are so many more being built? It gives me a chuckle when people like you who watch two series of the Apprentice start to think you are Alan Sugar! eeoodares
  • Score: 8

9:27am Thu 6 Feb 14

malonemalone says...

eeoodares wrote:
malonemalone wrote:
give it 6 months and the shutters will be up..... sadly the majority of tourists come and go within a few hours which leaves people that drink in York and they are certainly not interested in the 'continental style' they just want to get totally hammered on cheap booze.
If so few people stay overnight in York, why are there so many Guest Houses and Hotels, and why are so many more being built?

It gives me a chuckle when people like you who watch two series of the Apprentice start to think you are Alan Sugar!
what's the Apprentice?
[quote][p][bold]eeoodares[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]malonemalone[/bold] wrote: give it 6 months and the shutters will be up..... sadly the majority of tourists come and go within a few hours which leaves people that drink in York and they are certainly not interested in the 'continental style' they just want to get totally hammered on cheap booze.[/p][/quote]If so few people stay overnight in York, why are there so many Guest Houses and Hotels, and why are so many more being built? It gives me a chuckle when people like you who watch two series of the Apprentice start to think you are Alan Sugar![/p][/quote]what's the Apprentice? malonemalone
  • Score: -5

9:28am Thu 6 Feb 14

eeoodares says...

roskoboskovic wrote:
competition means nothing in york and it certainly doesn t mean competetive pricing.take that new pub/bar in kings square they even have the gall to say that they don t sell any bog standard brand vodka only premium mega priced stuff.of course they only really want visitors/holidaymake

rs with cash to burn.
Maybe they are targeting a particular audience, and maybe they are trying to keep certain 'types' out of their bar? Pop along to Popworld or Trebles for Singles, they sound right up your alley.
[quote][p][bold]roskoboskovic[/bold] wrote: competition means nothing in york and it certainly doesn t mean competetive pricing.take that new pub/bar in kings square they even have the gall to say that they don t sell any bog standard brand vodka only premium mega priced stuff.of course they only really want visitors/holidaymake rs with cash to burn.[/p][/quote]Maybe they are targeting a particular audience, and maybe they are trying to keep certain 'types' out of their bar? Pop along to Popworld or Trebles for Singles, they sound right up your alley. eeoodares
  • Score: 5

9:41am Thu 6 Feb 14

eeoodares says...

malonemalone wrote:
eeoodares wrote:
TheFossgateSocial wrote:
Thanks for your good wishes guys. All valid points. We've made contact with several of the other traders on Fossgate (all small independents), they've been totally welcoming. Competition is part of business and they are just happy to see an empty building brought back in play and hopefully more people visiting the street. See you all soon!
I think it is a brilliant idea and a cracking location. I often use the eaty-drinky places along that road and I look forward to trying yours out too.
but please don't use those cups you are holding in the picture as they are so uncomfortable to hold when you want a lovely big relaxing cup of something warm........and they look a bit pound shop
I have to agree with malone, two sip cups with tiny handles are the devils work.
[quote][p][bold]malonemalone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]eeoodares[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TheFossgateSocial[/bold] wrote: Thanks for your good wishes guys. All valid points. We've made contact with several of the other traders on Fossgate (all small independents), they've been totally welcoming. Competition is part of business and they are just happy to see an empty building brought back in play and hopefully more people visiting the street. See you all soon![/p][/quote]I think it is a brilliant idea and a cracking location. I often use the eaty-drinky places along that road and I look forward to trying yours out too.[/p][/quote]but please don't use those cups you are holding in the picture as they are so uncomfortable to hold when you want a lovely big relaxing cup of something warm........and they look a bit pound shop[/p][/quote]I have to agree with malone, two sip cups with tiny handles are the devils work. eeoodares
  • Score: 2

3:30pm Thu 6 Feb 14

York Fox says...

eeoodares wrote:
malonemalone wrote:
eeoodares wrote:
TheFossgateSocial wrote:
Thanks for your good wishes guys. All valid points. We've made contact with several of the other traders on Fossgate (all small independents), they've been totally welcoming. Competition is part of business and they are just happy to see an empty building brought back in play and hopefully more people visiting the street. See you all soon!
I think it is a brilliant idea and a cracking location. I often use the eaty-drinky places along that road and I look forward to trying yours out too.
but please don't use those cups you are holding in the picture as they are so uncomfortable to hold when you want a lovely big relaxing cup of something warm........and they look a bit pound shop
I have to agree with malone, two sip cups with tiny handles are the devils work.
I think they are espresso cups. Different cups for different coffee. Not all coffee has to be served in a massive Nescafe cup!
[quote][p][bold]eeoodares[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]malonemalone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]eeoodares[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TheFossgateSocial[/bold] wrote: Thanks for your good wishes guys. All valid points. We've made contact with several of the other traders on Fossgate (all small independents), they've been totally welcoming. Competition is part of business and they are just happy to see an empty building brought back in play and hopefully more people visiting the street. See you all soon![/p][/quote]I think it is a brilliant idea and a cracking location. I often use the eaty-drinky places along that road and I look forward to trying yours out too.[/p][/quote]but please don't use those cups you are holding in the picture as they are so uncomfortable to hold when you want a lovely big relaxing cup of something warm........and they look a bit pound shop[/p][/quote]I have to agree with malone, two sip cups with tiny handles are the devils work.[/p][/quote]I think they are espresso cups. Different cups for different coffee. Not all coffee has to be served in a massive Nescafe cup! York Fox
  • Score: 2

6:05pm Thu 6 Feb 14

civilservant says...

I think this is good news. More independent business and interesting venues can help the local York community survive the corporate influx on the city center. Well done Sarah Lakin and brother! Looking forwards to visiting soon. Maria.
I think this is good news. More independent business and interesting venues can help the local York community survive the corporate influx on the city center. Well done Sarah Lakin and brother! Looking forwards to visiting soon. Maria. civilservant
  • Score: 4

6:11pm Thu 6 Feb 14

civilservant says...

I think this is good news. More independent business and interesting venues can help the local York community survive the corporate influx on the city center. Well done Sarah Lakin and brother! Looking forwards to visiting soon. Maria.
I think this is good news. More independent business and interesting venues can help the local York community survive the corporate influx on the city center. Well done Sarah Lakin and brother! Looking forwards to visiting soon. Maria. civilservant
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree