Trial date set for York father
10:05am Tuesday 7th January 2014 in News
THE trial date has been set for a York father who denied attempted child abduction.
The man and his two-year-old son were spotted on board an aircraft at Luton Airport on Saturday, December 28, after the child’s mother reported the boy missing.
On Friday, the 34-year-old man who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared before York Magistrates Court where he had previously denied abducting the child.
The court heard North Yorkshire Police officers were not concerned that the man – who gave home addresses in York and Slovenia – presented a flight risk, and agreed his passport could be returned to him.
Magistrates also said he could leave the country prior to his trial provided he returns to the UK for the hearing.
York CID were called by the child’s mother who told them she believed he would try to leave the country.
North Yorkshire Police, working with the UK Border Agency, coordinated a swoop on Luton Airport, where the boy and his father were found.
The man was returned to York for questioning by the Major Crime and Protecting Vulnerable Persons Units, and later released on conditional bail.
The boy has since been returned to his mother.
A trial has been set for York Magistrates’ Court on March 26.