Changes at York Art Gallery are revealed

York Press: An artist’s impression of the new entrance and balcony at the rear of York Art Gallery An artist’s impression of the new entrance and balcony at the rear of York Art Gallery

THIS new entrance and balcony are to be created at the rear of York Art Gallery as part of an £8 million redevelopment.

The artists’ impression by architects Ushida Findlay shows how visitors will be able to enter the gallery for the first time from the Museum Gardens, via a first-floor balcony.

They will also be able to leave the gallery into a new Artists’ Garden – where a wide range of events and installations will be staged – on land which has been closed off since monks built St Mary’s Abbey a thousand years ago.

Janet Barnes, chief executive of York Museums Trust, which runs the gallery, said the new entrance was in a previously hidden corner of York that very few people had ever seen.

She said the new balcony would be reached by both stairs and a lift, with visitors entering a reception area with a small shop before heading into the mezzanine gallery which would form part of the gallery’s centre of ceramic art.

A trust spokesman said: “This space will be used to display works from the gallery’s British Studio Ceramics collectizon, which is the largest and most significant collection in the country.”

“From there, they can use a new lift inside to access the rest of the gallery.

“Outside, from the Artists’ Garden, visitors can walk down a new snickleway onto Exhibition Square.

“Alternatively, they can walk through new garden spaces that will link to the current York Museum Gardens.”

The gallery, which closed almost a year ago, will reopen in spring 2015 with 60 per cent more exhibition space.

A suite of three galleries will allow for more ambitious and high profile exhibitions to be staged, and improved facilities will include a new cafe, shop, toilets and lift and a new learning room.

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:59am Fri 6 Dec 13

sparkseffect says...

No wonder journalists think that "Snickleway" is a real word used by York people when "spokespersons" throw it into news releases. It isn't, it never was until the author of a book invented it - and, in any case, the word "ginnel" is a West Riding term, not a York one. I don't know, we'll have the City run by southerners next........
No wonder journalists think that "Snickleway" is a real word used by York people when "spokespersons" throw it into news releases. It isn't, it never was until the author of a book invented it - and, in any case, the word "ginnel" is a West Riding term, not a York one. I don't know, we'll have the City run by southerners next........ sparkseffect

10:45am Fri 6 Dec 13

Exlabourmember says...

good news
good news Exlabourmember

11:07am Fri 6 Dec 13

Ignatius Lumpopo says...

sparkseffect wrote:
No wonder journalists think that "Snickleway" is a real word used by York people when "spokespersons" throw it into news releases. It isn't, it never was until the author of a book invented it - and, in any case, the word "ginnel" is a West Riding term, not a York one. I don't know, we'll have the City run by southerners next........
You're right. Isn't the word "snicket"?
[quote][p][bold]sparkseffect[/bold] wrote: No wonder journalists think that "Snickleway" is a real word used by York people when "spokespersons" throw it into news releases. It isn't, it never was until the author of a book invented it - and, in any case, the word "ginnel" is a West Riding term, not a York one. I don't know, we'll have the City run by southerners next........[/p][/quote]You're right. Isn't the word "snicket"? Ignatius Lumpopo

11:16am Fri 6 Dec 13

TCJYork says...

Ignatius Lumpopo wrote:
sparkseffect wrote:
No wonder journalists think that "Snickleway" is a real word used by York people when "spokespersons" throw it into news releases. It isn't, it never was until the author of a book invented it - and, in any case, the word "ginnel" is a West Riding term, not a York one. I don't know, we'll have the City run by southerners next........
You're right. Isn't the word "snicket"?
It's an amalgamation of SNICKet, ginnEL and alleyWAY. Invented by Mark W. Jones in 1983 for his book ' The Snickelways of York'

Ginnel is certainly more West Riding. Snicket I think of more as a quick shortcut, as opposed to alleyway a more planned arrangement.

In other news, what a spectacularly bland design. God help us if the foremost Art institution in the city can't come up with something a little more interesting.
[quote][p][bold]Ignatius Lumpopo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sparkseffect[/bold] wrote: No wonder journalists think that "Snickleway" is a real word used by York people when "spokespersons" throw it into news releases. It isn't, it never was until the author of a book invented it - and, in any case, the word "ginnel" is a West Riding term, not a York one. I don't know, we'll have the City run by southerners next........[/p][/quote]You're right. Isn't the word "snicket"?[/p][/quote]It's an amalgamation of SNICKet, ginnEL and alleyWAY. Invented by Mark W. Jones in 1983 for his book ' The Snickelways of York' Ginnel is certainly more West Riding. Snicket I think of more as a quick shortcut, as opposed to alleyway a more planned arrangement. In other news, what a spectacularly bland design. God help us if the foremost Art institution in the city can't come up with something a little more interesting. TCJYork

12:31pm Fri 6 Dec 13

TheTruthHurts says...

As much as I love google sketch up its pretty basic when used as 'an artists impression' and I would say on that picture that the only thing that will be the same on the finished product will be the shape!

Can they not give us a better artists impression?
As much as I love google sketch up its pretty basic when used as 'an artists impression' and I would say on that picture that the only thing that will be the same on the finished product will be the shape! Can they not give us a better artists impression? TheTruthHurts

3:18pm Fri 6 Dec 13

Dave Ruddock says...

I agree reference to Snickleway is a total NONWORD and was it rhe reporter or the PR people at the ArtGallery. secondly , this Alley/Snicket the one that runs beside rge Gallery behind the shops on Boottham. One of you own up on the use i=of this strange Non York term.
I agree reference to Snickleway is a total NONWORD and was it rhe reporter or the PR people at the ArtGallery. secondly , this Alley/Snicket the one that runs beside rge Gallery behind the shops on Boottham. One of you own up on the use i=of this strange Non York term. Dave Ruddock

5:21pm Fri 6 Dec 13

ouseswimmer says...

Looks totally rubbish and uninspiring. It worries me that when it comes to art York fails miserably with such a dull building. New York has MOMA, and the wonderful Guggenheim by Frank Lloyd Wright. Old York has er....no thought at all. Surely York can do better? RIse to the challenge and inspire! At present York is more dire with bland meeting bland. Crashingly boring when the potential is out there to be better! Let me take charge!
Looks totally rubbish and uninspiring. It worries me that when it comes to art York fails miserably with such a dull building. New York has MOMA, and the wonderful Guggenheim by Frank Lloyd Wright. Old York has er....no thought at all. Surely York can do better? RIse to the challenge and inspire! At present York is more dire with bland meeting bland. Crashingly boring when the potential is out there to be better! Let me take charge! ouseswimmer

6:20pm Fri 6 Dec 13

Alf Garnett says...

ouseswimmer wrote:
Looks totally rubbish and uninspiring. It worries me that when it comes to art York fails miserably with such a dull building. New York has MOMA, and the wonderful Guggenheim by Frank Lloyd Wright. Old York has er....no thought at all. Surely York can do better? RIse to the challenge and inspire! At present York is more dire with bland meeting bland. Crashingly boring when the potential is out there to be better! Let me take charge!
You cannot, as a certain New Yorker said, be serious. First, New York is the art capital of the world; second, those galleries cost extraordinary amounts of loot; third, you can't tell from a small cadcam render what it really will look like anyway. If you want a brand new state of the art (ho ho) gallery then that's going to set you back at least £40 million, which is what the Hepworth weighed in at. The Tate Modern is spending £215 million on new space. The rebuilding of the Ashmolean's interior in Oxford was £70 million. I'd say that for a city of its size, York does pretty well in having a separate, purpose-built art gallery and not an adjunct to a museum. The costings for this project seem like very good value.
[quote][p][bold]ouseswimmer[/bold] wrote: Looks totally rubbish and uninspiring. It worries me that when it comes to art York fails miserably with such a dull building. New York has MOMA, and the wonderful Guggenheim by Frank Lloyd Wright. Old York has er....no thought at all. Surely York can do better? RIse to the challenge and inspire! At present York is more dire with bland meeting bland. Crashingly boring when the potential is out there to be better! Let me take charge![/p][/quote]You cannot, as a certain New Yorker said, be serious. First, New York is the art capital of the world; second, those galleries cost extraordinary amounts of loot; third, you can't tell from a small cadcam render what it really will look like anyway. If you want a brand new state of the art (ho ho) gallery then that's going to set you back at least £40 million, which is what the Hepworth weighed in at. The Tate Modern is spending £215 million on new space. The rebuilding of the Ashmolean's interior in Oxford was £70 million. I'd say that for a city of its size, York does pretty well in having a separate, purpose-built art gallery and not an adjunct to a museum. The costings for this project seem like very good value. Alf Garnett

7:13pm Fri 6 Dec 13

calmdownyork says...

There really are some miserable whinging sods in this city. Great to see the revitalisation of our art gallery and opening up of a lovely corner of York. Can't wait to see it open.
There really are some miserable whinging sods in this city. Great to see the revitalisation of our art gallery and opening up of a lovely corner of York. Can't wait to see it open. calmdownyork

9:19pm Fri 6 Dec 13

Guthred says...

If Oscar Wilde were around today he'd love it!
If Oscar Wilde were around today he'd love it! Guthred

11:13pm Fri 6 Dec 13

crookg says...

“This space will be used to display works from the gallery’s British Studio Ceramics collectizon, which is the largest and most significant collection in the country.”

or maybe you could get some interesting temporary exhibitions from the UKs incredible catalog of art? building more space to put out more of the same trite isn't going to increase footfall
“This space will be used to display works from the gallery’s British Studio Ceramics collectizon, which is the largest and most significant collection in the country.” or maybe you could get some interesting temporary exhibitions from the UKs incredible catalog of art? building more space to put out more of the same trite isn't going to increase footfall crookg

1:49am Sat 7 Dec 13

Magicman! says...

If I had designed that entrance, I'd have gone all "Escher" about it, and put in some sideways stairs just for the fun of it - because it's art!!
If I had designed that entrance, I'd have gone all "Escher" about it, and put in some sideways stairs just for the fun of it - because it's art!! Magicman!

12:15pm Sat 7 Dec 13

jimbell says...

They've made a mistake ! that's the fire escape , isn't it ?
They've made a mistake ! that's the fire escape , isn't it ? jimbell

3:43pm Sat 7 Dec 13

ouseswimmer says...

Alf Garnett wrote:
ouseswimmer wrote: Looks totally rubbish and uninspiring. It worries me that when it comes to art York fails miserably with such a dull building. New York has MOMA, and the wonderful Guggenheim by Frank Lloyd Wright. Old York has er....no thought at all. Surely York can do better? RIse to the challenge and inspire! At present York is more dire with bland meeting bland. Crashingly boring when the potential is out there to be better! Let me take charge!
You cannot, as a certain New Yorker said, be serious. First, New York is the art capital of the world; second, those galleries cost extraordinary amounts of loot; third, you can't tell from a small cadcam render what it really will look like anyway. If you want a brand new state of the art (ho ho) gallery then that's going to set you back at least £40 million, which is what the Hepworth weighed in at. The Tate Modern is spending £215 million on new space. The rebuilding of the Ashmolean's interior in Oxford was £70 million. I'd say that for a city of its size, York does pretty well in having a separate, purpose-built art gallery and not an adjunct to a museum. The costings for this project seem like very good value.
Great response! Well done. However I never accept second best as the reason to be average. More effort could be made. I am a firm believer in great design not costing the earth.
[quote][p][bold]Alf Garnett[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ouseswimmer[/bold] wrote: Looks totally rubbish and uninspiring. It worries me that when it comes to art York fails miserably with such a dull building. New York has MOMA, and the wonderful Guggenheim by Frank Lloyd Wright. Old York has er....no thought at all. Surely York can do better? RIse to the challenge and inspire! At present York is more dire with bland meeting bland. Crashingly boring when the potential is out there to be better! Let me take charge![/p][/quote]You cannot, as a certain New Yorker said, be serious. First, New York is the art capital of the world; second, those galleries cost extraordinary amounts of loot; third, you can't tell from a small cadcam render what it really will look like anyway. If you want a brand new state of the art (ho ho) gallery then that's going to set you back at least £40 million, which is what the Hepworth weighed in at. The Tate Modern is spending £215 million on new space. The rebuilding of the Ashmolean's interior in Oxford was £70 million. I'd say that for a city of its size, York does pretty well in having a separate, purpose-built art gallery and not an adjunct to a museum. The costings for this project seem like very good value.[/p][/quote]Great response! Well done. However I never accept second best as the reason to be average. More effort could be made. I am a firm believer in great design not costing the earth. ouseswimmer

4:09pm Sat 7 Dec 13

Prob says...

Re: snickleway - if people use it, and know what it means, then it's a word. Not all words have to have been in existence for 200 years for you to acknowledge their presence.
Re: snickleway - if people use it, and know what it means, then it's a word. Not all words have to have been in existence for 200 years for you to acknowledge their presence. Prob

5:17pm Sat 7 Dec 13

Alf Garnett says...

crookg wrote:
“This space will be used to display works from the gallery’s British Studio Ceramics collectizon, which is the largest and most significant collection in the country.”

or maybe you could get some interesting temporary exhibitions from the UKs incredible catalog of art? building more space to put out more of the same trite isn't going to increase footfall
Why don't you read the article ? It states that the mezzanine will house the ceramics. Elsewhere it says that the new spaces will be able to host significant exhibitions. What more do you want ?
[quote][p][bold]crookg[/bold] wrote: “This space will be used to display works from the gallery’s British Studio Ceramics collectizon, which is the largest and most significant collection in the country.” or maybe you could get some interesting temporary exhibitions from the UKs incredible catalog of art? building more space to put out more of the same trite isn't going to increase footfall[/p][/quote]Why don't you read the article ? It states that the mezzanine will house the ceramics. Elsewhere it says that the new spaces will be able to host significant exhibitions. What more do you want ? Alf Garnett

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree