Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Burn villagers’ anger at travellers’ site plan
About 100 residents voiced their opposition to councillors at the proposed travellers’ site at Burn Airfield
COUNCILLORS were met by strong opposition when they visited the proposed location of a controversial planned travellers’ site near Selby.
Members of Selby District Council’s planning committee were met at Burn Airfield by scores of local residents who are opposed to the scheme, which would see 15 pitches built at the site at a cost of up to £940,000.
About 100 local residents, including some from the nearby Gypsy and Travellers’ site, and members of Burn Against New Site (BANS), were waiting for the planning committee and developers to visit the site, ahead of the planning meeting which could see a decision made today.
Chris Phillipson, chairman of Burn Parish Council, said: “There were 100-plus people there, residents and gypsies alike.
“All in all it went well, on our side, but I don’t think the developers explained themselves too well to the community. I was very pleased with the turnout. To get 100-plus people on a Monday morning at 10.15 when people are supposed to be at work, but have come to show their feelings to the council, shows how much people care about it.”
Last week, a report commissioned by BANS from barrister Simon Randle, who specialises in planning and the environment, claimed issues including flood zoning, the choice of the Burn site over other brownfield areas, and the scale of the site, had not been properly addressed.
The report also said that “should a decision be made to grant permission on the application made, then a challenge to that decision should be made”, and would “have a very good chance of being successful”.
Yesterday, the council said entry to today’s planning meeting, which is at 4pm at the council offices, would be on a first-come first-served basis, and residents should arrive by 3.30pm.