Residents of Heartbeat village in revolt as Duchy of Lancaster claims common land

York Press: James Fearnley, who has had to pay £40,000 and a further £2,500 a year to allow cars to cross approximately eight feet of Duchy land into his car park at Goathland James Fearnley, who has had to pay £40,000 and a further £2,500 a year to allow cars to cross approximately eight feet of Duchy land into his car park at Goathland

The village made famous by TV’s Heartbeat is in revolt against the Queen – over being charged hundreds of thousands of pounds to gain access to their homes.

Residents of Goathland, North Yorkshire, claim they are being held to ransom as the Duchy of Lancaster, which provides an income to the Royal Household, has claimed ownership of the common land that runs throughout the village.

The homes of 400 residents are separated by grass verges from the road. In the past, the Duchy granted access rights for a peppercorn rent. But not any more.

The Duchy says it is a responsible landowner interested in the protection and development of Goathland in which it invests much of the cash.

But many villagers hold a different view.

New residents have to pay hundreds of pounds for receiving water through pipes which flow under Duchy land. The Duchy even charges the parish council £50 a year for a memorial bench which sits on the common.

Civic leaders claim such tactics will stifle investment as tourism has slumped since Heartbeat ended, and landowner James Fearnley is calling for Parliament to step in.

Mr Fearnley faces a £40,000 legal bill after allowing one of his fields to be used as a car park, which he claims the North York Moors National Park asked him to open in 1996 to cope with the 1.4 million visitors whose vehicles churned up the village green.

Mr Fearnley, 67, has agreed to pay £20,000 this week and the rest over four years.

“For nine years everything was hunky-dory,” he said. Then the Duchy complained that cars were travelling illegally over the 8ft long strip of land across the entrance, ordered him to shut the car park, and then demanded 50 per cent of the profits. When he refused, the Duchy asked for £25,000 for seven years’ rent arrears.

Mr Fearnley claims his offer to pay in instalments was refused. The legal battle was finally settled at £40,000 in the Duchy’s favour.

He said the problems have got worse since the Duchy registered ownership of the common land with the Land Registry and appointed agents to collect rents.

Adrian Caulder, 55, has accused the Duchy of wrecking his retirement plans and robbing him and his wife Sue of their savings.

They ran Goathland’s Whitfield House Hotel for 12 years before deciding to convert it into four houses.

The Duchy demanded £50,000 for access rights to the properties to cover the change of use, arguing the fee was justified due to the extra traffic across the common caused by the development.

The couple maintained the hotel’s closure would actually mean less traffic. Forced to pay, Mr Caulder has had to return to work for an engineering firm in Gloucester which involves a 484-mile round trip to head office several times a month.

“No one will want to move here and without new families the school will close and we will lose the post office,” he said. “Visitor numbers are now dropping and the village will die.”

One villager Doreen Smith, 71, says: “We’d like to invite the Queen around to tea so I could talk to her, pensioner to pensioner, about what is being done in her name.”

Mr Fearnley has complained to the Queen about the tactics used by those running her estates, but was told Her Majesty is unable to comment.

A public meeting is being called in the village. Scarborough and Whitby Tory MP Robert Goodwill said: “This seems to be a case of ransom strips being used to extract payments from unsuspecting home owners and businesses who had, quite reasonably, assumed that they had a right to access their property from the highway.

“These land agents acting on behalf of the Duchy of Lancaster are using the threat of expensive legal action to force people to pay up.”

A spokesman for The Duchy said it was a responsible landowner, which had made “substantial investments” in improving the village including rebuilding the pavement, creating walking trails and saving the bus service with investment to help create a bus turning circle.

“The Duchy is a commercial organisation and like any landowner, to be able to invest in the village, we have to generate revenue.

“Through our agents, we work closely with people and organisations wishing to use our land for commercial gain and private use, to try to reach a mutually acceptable agreement guided by market value and always take the full circumstances into consideration when negotiating licences, easements and rents.”

Regarding the car park, he said The Duchy had been in protracted talks with the Fearnleys since 2008.

“The use of another’s land for commercial advantage without recompense is not reasonable and the Duchy has merely sought to protect its interests.”

“Licences were offered to, but refused by the Fearnleys, resulting in the necessity for the Duchy to seek legal recourse.”

“The Duchy only applies to the Courts as a final resort. Due to the refusal of the Fearnleys to accept the Duchy’s legitimate legal rights and a litany of delay and obstruction, the Duchy had no alternative but to act.”

Comments (39)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:12am Fri 28 Jun 13

The Great Buda says...

In a time of austerity, one family still has their mouths in the trough, and we're paying for it.
In a time of austerity, one family still has their mouths in the trough, and we're paying for it. The Great Buda
  • Score: 3

9:15am Fri 28 Jun 13

amike says...

One presumes the Duchy spokesman was a lawyer by the legal speak used.

The sad thing is that these organisations employ so many agents and middle men to collect there dues and process them, so the amount that they receive (and the amount that the residents should by paying) is probably 4 or 5 times more than it should be.
One presumes the Duchy spokesman was a lawyer by the legal speak used. The sad thing is that these organisations employ so many agents and middle men to collect there dues and process them, so the amount that they receive (and the amount that the residents should by paying) is probably 4 or 5 times more than it should be. amike
  • Score: 1

9:30am Fri 28 Jun 13

Blythespirit says...

We were in Goathland a few weeks ago. On all the grass verges in the area there are duchy signs laying claim to the land - I'm surprised they are not charging the sheep for grazing on the said verges! It sounds like a really bad state of affairs for the people living there and surprising in this day and age - I thought the feudal system of landlords was long gone!
We were in Goathland a few weeks ago. On all the grass verges in the area there are duchy signs laying claim to the land - I'm surprised they are not charging the sheep for grazing on the said verges! It sounds like a really bad state of affairs for the people living there and surprising in this day and age - I thought the feudal system of landlords was long gone! Blythespirit
  • Score: 2

9:47am Fri 28 Jun 13

Kevin Turvey says...

The individuals bought their houses knowing in the deeds that they had to access over another person’s property there is always the risk of situations changing!

Nice old legal tactic of the Duchy to bring in the heavyweight lawyers to ensure payment by effectively bankrupting people in lengthy/expensive legal action they will always lose as the duchy has large resources of money so therefore can afford to string it out and eventually gets costs as well and also sending a clear message… PAY UP or You are next!

Can you imagine a judge going against the crown? No way.
He will never get his foot in the door of the House of Lords or his peerage to services to the crown otherwise.


‘Scarborough and Whitby Tory MP Robert Goodwill’

If I was the residents I wouldn’t hold any faith in him helping out in reality, where is his long term vested interest? Maybe for show only, prepare to be shafted in the end by another agent/member of the establishment.


That’s the country we live in!
Where one family is really in charge and favours are done and gongs received.

Obviously the royal family is feeling the austerity measures we all are as they only got a 5% rise this year!

This is the family business that ‘owns’ the beach between high and low tide and also the seabed out to the 12 mile limit by royal decree, thereby making millions from offshore windfarms rather than the benefits going into the chancellors coffers to pay off the national debt or to be spent of essential services for the population as a whole.

It’s not like they actually bought the land they own is it! It was acquired by a mixture of theft, gift, arm twisting and pure patronage!

This is also the family business that has crown immunity on many statute laws that me and you have to obey or face criminal prosecution.

Nothing like living in a fair society eh, maybe it’s time for a change?
Cue the sheep cap duffering royalists comments. BBAAAAAAAA BBAAAAAAAA.

As a republican I can see many benefits and no problems arising with a change to us being ‘citizens’ rather than ‘subjects’.

I bow down to nobody, just because of an accident of birth and so called right!
The individuals bought their houses knowing in the deeds that they had to access over another person’s property there is always the risk of situations changing! Nice old legal tactic of the Duchy to bring in the heavyweight lawyers to ensure payment by effectively bankrupting people in lengthy/expensive legal action they will always lose as the duchy has large resources of money so therefore can afford to string it out and eventually gets costs as well and also sending a clear message… PAY UP or You are next! Can you imagine a judge going against the crown? No way. He will never get his foot in the door of the House of Lords or his peerage to services to the crown otherwise. ‘Scarborough and Whitby Tory MP Robert Goodwill’ If I was the residents I wouldn’t hold any faith in him helping out in reality, where is his long term vested interest? Maybe for show only, prepare to be shafted in the end by another agent/member of the establishment. That’s the country we live in! Where one family is really in charge and favours are done and gongs received. Obviously the royal family is feeling the austerity measures we all are as they only got a 5% rise this year! This is the family business that ‘owns’ the beach between high and low tide and also the seabed out to the 12 mile limit by royal decree, thereby making millions from offshore windfarms rather than the benefits going into the chancellors coffers to pay off the national debt or to be spent of essential services for the population as a whole. It’s not like they actually bought the land they own is it! It was acquired by a mixture of theft, gift, arm twisting and pure patronage! This is also the family business that has crown immunity on many statute laws that me and you have to obey or face criminal prosecution. Nothing like living in a fair society eh, maybe it’s time for a change? Cue the sheep cap duffering royalists comments. BBAAAAAAAA BBAAAAAAAA. As a republican I can see many benefits and no problems arising with a change to us being ‘citizens’ rather than ‘subjects’. I bow down to nobody, just because of an accident of birth and so called right! Kevin Turvey
  • Score: 3

10:02am Fri 28 Jun 13

Yorkie41 says...

Blythespirit wrote:
We were in Goathland a few weeks ago. On all the grass verges in the area there are duchy signs laying claim to the land - I'm surprised they are not charging the sheep for grazing on the said verges! It sounds like a really bad state of affairs for the people living there and surprising in this day and age - I thought the feudal system of landlords was long gone!
Do they not need planing permission to stick these signs up.
[quote][p][bold]Blythespirit[/bold] wrote: We were in Goathland a few weeks ago. On all the grass verges in the area there are duchy signs laying claim to the land - I'm surprised they are not charging the sheep for grazing on the said verges! It sounds like a really bad state of affairs for the people living there and surprising in this day and age - I thought the feudal system of landlords was long gone![/p][/quote]Do they not need planing permission to stick these signs up. Yorkie41
  • Score: 0

10:46am Fri 28 Jun 13

Platform9 says...

Let them eat cake!

Support of the Royals is reducing at a fast rate
Let them eat cake! Support of the Royals is reducing at a fast rate Platform9
  • Score: 0

11:24am Fri 28 Jun 13

MrChuckles says...

The Royals are selfish, ignorant, outdated , useless and the expense far outweighs the value!
People cry about how they bring in tourism etc, so what? People will still go and see Buckingham palace weather the tax spongers are their to offer them a cup of tea (from their plantations) or not?
Time this country woke up!
They have just been given yet another pay rise, most likely paying for the 1million pound renovations to Wills and Kates new pad in time for the baby!
Disgrace, the people of Goathland have all the support from myself.
http://www.youtube.c
om/watch?v=KbsQkKOsT
Zg
The Royals are selfish, ignorant, outdated , useless and the expense far outweighs the value! People cry about how they bring in tourism etc, so what? People will still go and see Buckingham palace weather the tax spongers are their to offer them a cup of tea (from their plantations) or not? Time this country woke up! They have just been given yet another pay rise, most likely paying for the 1million pound renovations to Wills and Kates new pad in time for the baby! Disgrace, the people of Goathland have all the support from myself. http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=KbsQkKOsT Zg MrChuckles
  • Score: 3

11:40am Fri 28 Jun 13

carpon says...

The only way I can see to try and resolve the problem is everyone in the village to refuse to pay the “Royal Tax”. It has got to be harder to take the whole village to the cleaners than just individuals. Lets face it the residents house prices have just plummeted so they have nothing to loose, they have already been raped.
The only way I can see to try and resolve the problem is everyone in the village to refuse to pay the “Royal Tax”. It has got to be harder to take the whole village to the cleaners than just individuals. Lets face it the residents house prices have just plummeted so they have nothing to loose, they have already been raped. carpon
  • Score: 1

12:05pm Fri 28 Jun 13

Hoofarted says...

I propose we privatize the Royals instead of the NHS.

If they bring so much money via tourism, then they will be self sufficient easily.

I will bring this up in council and when James becomes PM, he can put this through parliament.
I propose we privatize the Royals instead of the NHS. If they bring so much money via tourism, then they will be self sufficient easily. I will bring this up in council and when James becomes PM, he can put this through parliament. Hoofarted
  • Score: 1

12:26pm Fri 28 Jun 13

dfsdggfh says...

Kevin Turvey wrote:
The individuals bought their houses knowing in the deeds that they had to access over another person’s property there is always the risk of situations changing! Nice old legal tactic of the Duchy to bring in the heavyweight lawyers to ensure payment by effectively bankrupting people in lengthy/expensive legal action they will always lose as the duchy has large resources of money so therefore can afford to string it out and eventually gets costs as well and also sending a clear message… PAY UP or You are next! Can you imagine a judge going against the crown? No way. He will never get his foot in the door of the House of Lords or his peerage to services to the crown otherwise. ‘Scarborough and Whitby Tory MP Robert Goodwill’ If I was the residents I wouldn’t hold any faith in him helping out in reality, where is his long term vested interest? Maybe for show only, prepare to be shafted in the end by another agent/member of the establishment. That’s the country we live in! Where one family is really in charge and favours are done and gongs received. Obviously the royal family is feeling the austerity measures we all are as they only got a 5% rise this year! This is the family business that ‘owns’ the beach between high and low tide and also the seabed out to the 12 mile limit by royal decree, thereby making millions from offshore windfarms rather than the benefits going into the chancellors coffers to pay off the national debt or to be spent of essential services for the population as a whole. It’s not like they actually bought the land they own is it! It was acquired by a mixture of theft, gift, arm twisting and pure patronage! This is also the family business that has crown immunity on many statute laws that me and you have to obey or face criminal prosecution. Nothing like living in a fair society eh, maybe it’s time for a change? Cue the sheep cap duffering royalists comments. BBAAAAAAAA BBAAAAAAAA. As a republican I can see many benefits and no problems arising with a change to us being ‘citizens’ rather than ‘subjects’. I bow down to nobody, just because of an accident of birth and so called right!
So what you are objecting to is exactly what happens? The income from the Duchy which amounts to hundreds of millions is paid directly to the state. Any development of crown land therefore benefits all of us.

But you're right, lets remove the monachy, strip all private landowners of their land and live in a republic 100% owned by the government
[quote][p][bold]Kevin Turvey[/bold] wrote: The individuals bought their houses knowing in the deeds that they had to access over another person’s property there is always the risk of situations changing! Nice old legal tactic of the Duchy to bring in the heavyweight lawyers to ensure payment by effectively bankrupting people in lengthy/expensive legal action they will always lose as the duchy has large resources of money so therefore can afford to string it out and eventually gets costs as well and also sending a clear message… PAY UP or You are next! Can you imagine a judge going against the crown? No way. He will never get his foot in the door of the House of Lords or his peerage to services to the crown otherwise. ‘Scarborough and Whitby Tory MP Robert Goodwill’ If I was the residents I wouldn’t hold any faith in him helping out in reality, where is his long term vested interest? Maybe for show only, prepare to be shafted in the end by another agent/member of the establishment. That’s the country we live in! Where one family is really in charge and favours are done and gongs received. Obviously the royal family is feeling the austerity measures we all are as they only got a 5% rise this year! This is the family business that ‘owns’ the beach between high and low tide and also the seabed out to the 12 mile limit by royal decree, thereby making millions from offshore windfarms rather than the benefits going into the chancellors coffers to pay off the national debt or to be spent of essential services for the population as a whole. It’s not like they actually bought the land they own is it! It was acquired by a mixture of theft, gift, arm twisting and pure patronage! This is also the family business that has crown immunity on many statute laws that me and you have to obey or face criminal prosecution. Nothing like living in a fair society eh, maybe it’s time for a change? Cue the sheep cap duffering royalists comments. BBAAAAAAAA BBAAAAAAAA. As a republican I can see many benefits and no problems arising with a change to us being ‘citizens’ rather than ‘subjects’. I bow down to nobody, just because of an accident of birth and so called right![/p][/quote]So what you are objecting to is exactly what happens? The income from the Duchy which amounts to hundreds of millions is paid directly to the state. Any development of crown land therefore benefits all of us. But you're right, lets remove the monachy, strip all private landowners of their land and live in a republic 100% owned by the government dfsdggfh
  • Score: 0

12:35pm Fri 28 Jun 13

Hoofarted says...

Correction!

"live in a republic 100% owned by the People!"
Correction! "live in a republic 100% owned by the People!" Hoofarted
  • Score: 1

12:45pm Fri 28 Jun 13

Ichabod76 says...

Hoofarted wrote:
I propose we privatize the Royals instead of the NHS.

If they bring so much money via tourism, then they will be self sufficient easily.

I will bring this up in council and when James becomes PM, he can put this through parliament.
If James is to be prime minister
do you think he would be available for a meeting to discuss me making a donation to the New Tories so i can avoid a bit of tax ?
[quote][p][bold]Hoofarted[/bold] wrote: I propose we privatize the Royals instead of the NHS. If they bring so much money via tourism, then they will be self sufficient easily. I will bring this up in council and when James becomes PM, he can put this through parliament.[/p][/quote]If James is to be prime minister do you think he would be available for a meeting to discuss me making a donation to the New Tories so i can avoid a bit of tax ? Ichabod76
  • Score: 0

12:50pm Fri 28 Jun 13

Buzzz Light-year says...

Yorkie41 wrote:
Blythespirit wrote: We were in Goathland a few weeks ago. On all the grass verges in the area there are duchy signs laying claim to the land - I'm surprised they are not charging the sheep for grazing on the said verges! It sounds like a really bad state of affairs for the people living there and surprising in this day and age - I thought the feudal system of landlords was long gone!
Do they not need planing permission to stick these signs up.
No planing permission needed, anyone can strip back the wood layer by layer on their signs at any time they want.
[quote][p][bold]Yorkie41[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Blythespirit[/bold] wrote: We were in Goathland a few weeks ago. On all the grass verges in the area there are duchy signs laying claim to the land - I'm surprised they are not charging the sheep for grazing on the said verges! It sounds like a really bad state of affairs for the people living there and surprising in this day and age - I thought the feudal system of landlords was long gone![/p][/quote]Do they not need planing permission to stick these signs up.[/p][/quote]No planing permission needed, anyone can strip back the wood layer by layer on their signs at any time they want. Buzzz Light-year
  • Score: 0

12:57pm Fri 28 Jun 13

Great Gable says...

Simple Solution : Build a little wooden bridge to span the grass verge from road to driveway/garden path for each house hence not setting foot on the land. They don't own the air above as well!
Simple Solution : Build a little wooden bridge to span the grass verge from road to driveway/garden path for each house hence not setting foot on the land. They don't own the air above as well! Great Gable
  • Score: 0

12:57pm Fri 28 Jun 13

Hoofarted says...

Ichabod76 wrote:
Hoofarted wrote:
I propose we privatize the Royals instead of the NHS.

If they bring so much money via tourism, then they will be self sufficient easily.

I will bring this up in council and when James becomes PM, he can put this through parliament.
If James is to be prime minister
do you think he would be available for a meeting to discuss me making a donation to the New Tories so i can avoid a bit of tax ?
I suggest you wait until his appointment ichybot. For now, I would continue making donations to the party you have failed to win with in York for how long is it now? Over 30 years it must be..

Better still, hang onto the donations because sniping from the opposition sidelines is a costly pass time.
[quote][p][bold]Ichabod76[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hoofarted[/bold] wrote: I propose we privatize the Royals instead of the NHS. If they bring so much money via tourism, then they will be self sufficient easily. I will bring this up in council and when James becomes PM, he can put this through parliament.[/p][/quote]If James is to be prime minister do you think he would be available for a meeting to discuss me making a donation to the New Tories so i can avoid a bit of tax ?[/p][/quote]I suggest you wait until his appointment ichybot. For now, I would continue making donations to the party you have failed to win with in York for how long is it now? Over 30 years it must be.. Better still, hang onto the donations because sniping from the opposition sidelines is a costly pass time. Hoofarted
  • Score: 0

1:13pm Fri 28 Jun 13

MrsHoney says...

What a disgusting display of greed and pettiness. I'm not sure the Royal Family can be blaimed but their administrators are certainly on a power trip!
What a disgusting display of greed and pettiness. I'm not sure the Royal Family can be blaimed but their administrators are certainly on a power trip! MrsHoney
  • Score: 0

1:19pm Fri 28 Jun 13

Ichabod76 says...

Anybody know how much Anna Semlyen charges in rent in her buy to let properties ?

Those evil landowners !
Anybody know how much Anna Semlyen charges in rent in her buy to let properties ? Those evil landowners ! Ichabod76
  • Score: 0

1:21pm Fri 28 Jun 13

Ichabod76 says...

Hoofarted wrote:
Ichabod76 wrote:
Hoofarted wrote:
I propose we privatize the Royals instead of the NHS.

If they bring so much money via tourism, then they will be self sufficient easily.

I will bring this up in council and when James becomes PM, he can put this through parliament.
If James is to be prime minister
do you think he would be available for a meeting to discuss me making a donation to the New Tories so i can avoid a bit of tax ?
I suggest you wait until his appointment ichybot. For now, I would continue making donations to the party you have failed to win with in York for how long is it now? Over 30 years it must be..

Better still, hang onto the donations because sniping from the opposition sidelines is a costly pass time.
I don't know which party you think I represent Councillor ?
[quote][p][bold]Hoofarted[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ichabod76[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hoofarted[/bold] wrote: I propose we privatize the Royals instead of the NHS. If they bring so much money via tourism, then they will be self sufficient easily. I will bring this up in council and when James becomes PM, he can put this through parliament.[/p][/quote]If James is to be prime minister do you think he would be available for a meeting to discuss me making a donation to the New Tories so i can avoid a bit of tax ?[/p][/quote]I suggest you wait until his appointment ichybot. For now, I would continue making donations to the party you have failed to win with in York for how long is it now? Over 30 years it must be.. Better still, hang onto the donations because sniping from the opposition sidelines is a costly pass time.[/p][/quote]I don't know which party you think I represent Councillor ? Ichabod76
  • Score: 0

1:21pm Fri 28 Jun 13

Ichabod76 says...

Hoofarted have you been to Blackpool recently ?
Hoofarted have you been to Blackpool recently ? Ichabod76
  • Score: 0

1:23pm Fri 28 Jun 13

Ichabod76 says...

Do you think Anna Semlyen knows Councillor crisp doesn't support the 20's plenty campaign ?
Do you think Anna Semlyen knows Councillor crisp doesn't support the 20's plenty campaign ? Ichabod76
  • Score: 0

1:29pm Fri 28 Jun 13

turkey kid says...

mr chucklels you are wrong .this time I think
mr chucklels you are wrong .this time I think turkey kid
  • Score: 0

2:45pm Fri 28 Jun 13

MrChuckles says...

turkey kid wrote:
mr chucklels you are wrong .this time I think
That's fair enough, but would you like to expand on how i'm wrong?

Although the media do not like to tell of Charles usual greedy antics and pursuits of profit this is not the first time his estate has caused issues such as this. He will also happily brush aside trusts of which he is a patron to expand his wallet. A notable example of this is the situation which came about in Newquay, where the Cornwall Wildlife Trust said it was immensely concerned about the destruction of ancient hedge banks which were important wildlife corridors and also a range of important natural features in what is a stunning location, to be destroyed for the construction of 1000s of homes by good old Charles. This is just one example, and as British citizens we are conditioned into expecting that these fellow "humans" are to be given wealth and status through force fed media coverage.
Have one quick look at this article for an example of the BBC coverage we get!
http://www.republic.
org.uk/updates/?p=90
7
As much as I respect the pageantry and all the ritual that comes with it, it's had it's time and people on the news laugh and criticize the North Koreans waving flags and crying over the death of their leader or whatever saying their, crazy, brain washed! Have a look at pictures from the Royal Wedding, then laugh.
[quote][p][bold]turkey kid[/bold] wrote: mr chucklels you are wrong .this time I think[/p][/quote]That's fair enough, but would you like to expand on how i'm wrong? Although the media do not like to tell of Charles usual greedy antics and pursuits of profit this is not the first time his estate has caused issues such as this. He will also happily brush aside trusts of which he is a patron to expand his wallet. A notable example of this is the situation which came about in Newquay, where the Cornwall Wildlife Trust said it was immensely concerned about the destruction of ancient hedge banks which were important wildlife corridors and also a range of important natural features in what is a stunning location, to be destroyed for the construction of 1000s of homes by good old Charles. This is just one example, and as British citizens we are conditioned into expecting that these fellow "humans" are to be given wealth and status through force fed media coverage. Have one quick look at this article for an example of the BBC coverage we get! http://www.republic. org.uk/updates/?p=90 7 As much as I respect the pageantry and all the ritual that comes with it, it's had it's time and people on the news laugh and criticize the North Koreans waving flags and crying over the death of their leader or whatever saying their, crazy, brain washed! Have a look at pictures from the Royal Wedding, then laugh. MrChuckles
  • Score: 0

2:57pm Fri 28 Jun 13

PinzaC55 says...

MrChuckles wrote:
The Royals are selfish, ignorant, outdated , useless and the expense far outweighs the value!
People cry about how they bring in tourism etc, so what? People will still go and see Buckingham palace weather the tax spongers are their to offer them a cup of tea (from their plantations) or not?
Time this country woke up!
They have just been given yet another pay rise, most likely paying for the 1million pound renovations to Wills and Kates new pad in time for the baby!
Disgrace, the people of Goathland have all the support from myself.
http://www.youtube.c

om/watch?v=KbsQkKOsT

Zg
Yes, and if stories like this serve any purpose it's in reminding people of the true nature of the society we live in.
[quote][p][bold]MrChuckles[/bold] wrote: The Royals are selfish, ignorant, outdated , useless and the expense far outweighs the value! People cry about how they bring in tourism etc, so what? People will still go and see Buckingham palace weather the tax spongers are their to offer them a cup of tea (from their plantations) or not? Time this country woke up! They have just been given yet another pay rise, most likely paying for the 1million pound renovations to Wills and Kates new pad in time for the baby! Disgrace, the people of Goathland have all the support from myself. http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=KbsQkKOsT Zg[/p][/quote]Yes, and if stories like this serve any purpose it's in reminding people of the true nature of the society we live in. PinzaC55
  • Score: 0

3:05pm Fri 28 Jun 13

chelk says...

God Bless the Queen
God Bless the Queen chelk
  • Score: 0

3:10pm Fri 28 Jun 13

Caecilius says...

dfsdggfh wrote:
Kevin Turvey wrote:
The individuals bought their houses knowing in the deeds that they had to access over another person’s property there is always the risk of situations changing! Nice old legal tactic of the Duchy to bring in the heavyweight lawyers to ensure payment by effectively bankrupting people in lengthy/expensive legal action they will always lose as the duchy has large resources of money so therefore can afford to string it out and eventually gets costs as well and also sending a clear message… PAY UP or You are next! Can you imagine a judge going against the crown? No way. He will never get his foot in the door of the House of Lords or his peerage to services to the crown otherwise. ‘Scarborough and Whitby Tory MP Robert Goodwill’ If I was the residents I wouldn’t hold any faith in him helping out in reality, where is his long term vested interest? Maybe for show only, prepare to be shafted in the end by another agent/member of the establishment. That’s the country we live in! Where one family is really in charge and favours are done and gongs received. Obviously the royal family is feeling the austerity measures we all are as they only got a 5% rise this year! This is the family business that ‘owns’ the beach between high and low tide and also the seabed out to the 12 mile limit by royal decree, thereby making millions from offshore windfarms rather than the benefits going into the chancellors coffers to pay off the national debt or to be spent of essential services for the population as a whole. It’s not like they actually bought the land they own is it! It was acquired by a mixture of theft, gift, arm twisting and pure patronage! This is also the family business that has crown immunity on many statute laws that me and you have to obey or face criminal prosecution. Nothing like living in a fair society eh, maybe it’s time for a change? Cue the sheep cap duffering royalists comments. BBAAAAAAAA BBAAAAAAAA. As a republican I can see many benefits and no problems arising with a change to us being ‘citizens’ rather than ‘subjects’. I bow down to nobody, just because of an accident of birth and so called right!
So what you are objecting to is exactly what happens? The income from the Duchy which amounts to hundreds of millions is paid directly to the state. Any development of crown land therefore benefits all of us.

But you're right, lets remove the monachy, strip all private landowners of their land and live in a republic 100% owned by the government
In point of fact, the income from the Duchy rightfully belongs to the state already. In medieval times, the monarch - who, of course, actually governed the country - was expected to defray all the expenses of government from the income they received from the royal estates. That was the justification for their being the biggest landowner of all. They no longer run the country, and are no longer expected to pay for it, but they still pocket a substantial slice of this revenue and live the life of Reilly in return for performing some ceremonial functions that we could (and should) easily do without.
[quote][p][bold]dfsdggfh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kevin Turvey[/bold] wrote: The individuals bought their houses knowing in the deeds that they had to access over another person’s property there is always the risk of situations changing! Nice old legal tactic of the Duchy to bring in the heavyweight lawyers to ensure payment by effectively bankrupting people in lengthy/expensive legal action they will always lose as the duchy has large resources of money so therefore can afford to string it out and eventually gets costs as well and also sending a clear message… PAY UP or You are next! Can you imagine a judge going against the crown? No way. He will never get his foot in the door of the House of Lords or his peerage to services to the crown otherwise. ‘Scarborough and Whitby Tory MP Robert Goodwill’ If I was the residents I wouldn’t hold any faith in him helping out in reality, where is his long term vested interest? Maybe for show only, prepare to be shafted in the end by another agent/member of the establishment. That’s the country we live in! Where one family is really in charge and favours are done and gongs received. Obviously the royal family is feeling the austerity measures we all are as they only got a 5% rise this year! This is the family business that ‘owns’ the beach between high and low tide and also the seabed out to the 12 mile limit by royal decree, thereby making millions from offshore windfarms rather than the benefits going into the chancellors coffers to pay off the national debt or to be spent of essential services for the population as a whole. It’s not like they actually bought the land they own is it! It was acquired by a mixture of theft, gift, arm twisting and pure patronage! This is also the family business that has crown immunity on many statute laws that me and you have to obey or face criminal prosecution. Nothing like living in a fair society eh, maybe it’s time for a change? Cue the sheep cap duffering royalists comments. BBAAAAAAAA BBAAAAAAAA. As a republican I can see many benefits and no problems arising with a change to us being ‘citizens’ rather than ‘subjects’. I bow down to nobody, just because of an accident of birth and so called right![/p][/quote]So what you are objecting to is exactly what happens? The income from the Duchy which amounts to hundreds of millions is paid directly to the state. Any development of crown land therefore benefits all of us. But you're right, lets remove the monachy, strip all private landowners of their land and live in a republic 100% owned by the government[/p][/quote]In point of fact, the income from the Duchy rightfully belongs to the state already. In medieval times, the monarch - who, of course, actually governed the country - was expected to defray all the expenses of government from the income they received from the royal estates. That was the justification for their being the biggest landowner of all. They no longer run the country, and are no longer expected to pay for it, but they still pocket a substantial slice of this revenue and live the life of Reilly in return for performing some ceremonial functions that we could (and should) easily do without. Caecilius
  • Score: 0

3:34pm Fri 28 Jun 13

chelk says...

Long Live the Queen
Long Live the Queen chelk
  • Score: 0

4:15pm Fri 28 Jun 13

MouseHouse says...

The Windsors are truly a parasitic family. Anybody who comes on here having a go at those living on benefits, whilst supporting the monarchy are huge hypocrites.

Let's deal with just one claim the monarchists make - tourism.

There is no evidence that the monarchy is good for tourism, in fact, there are good reasons why the opposite might be true. Imagine the potential for Buckingham Palace if it was fully opened up to tourists all year round, where visitors can explore every room and courtyard and see the grounds and the art collection.

Currently they see a selected number of rooms with no chance of meeting a member of the Windsor family. In a Republic all the rooms (bar one or two for admin etc) will be open to visitors, with a small chance of meeting a member of the Windsor family (they may choose to work there, or pay to visit). Throw the place open, and previous visitors will come back to see more.

Next time this disgraceful family are covered in the news I'll demolish another myth about them and their parasitic lifestyle.

REPUBLIC NOW.
The Windsors are truly a parasitic family. Anybody who comes on here having a go at those living on benefits, whilst supporting the monarchy are huge hypocrites. Let's deal with just one claim the monarchists make - tourism. There is no evidence that the monarchy is good for tourism, in fact, there are good reasons why the opposite might be true. Imagine the potential for Buckingham Palace if it was fully opened up to tourists all year round, where visitors can explore every room and courtyard and see the grounds and the art collection. Currently they see a selected number of rooms with no chance of meeting a member of the Windsor family. In a Republic all the rooms (bar one or two for admin etc) will be open to visitors, with a small chance of meeting a member of the Windsor family (they may choose to work there, or pay to visit). Throw the place open, and previous visitors will come back to see more. Next time this disgraceful family are covered in the news I'll demolish another myth about them and their parasitic lifestyle. REPUBLIC NOW. MouseHouse
  • Score: 0

4:19pm Fri 28 Jun 13

MouseHouse says...

chelk wrote:
Long Live the Queen
...that's certainly what the monarchists want, they fear the numpty that we're all going to be lumbered with when she pops off. If only we had a choice huh!
[quote][p][bold]chelk[/bold] wrote: Long Live the Queen[/p][/quote]...that's certainly what the monarchists want, they fear the numpty that we're all going to be lumbered with when she pops off. If only we had a choice huh! MouseHouse
  • Score: 0

5:02pm Fri 28 Jun 13

fear your government says...

if the quenn lives in ahouse owned by the state its social housing... surely?
so im sure bedroom tax would be payable.
just another thing this band of parasites get away with, not to mention insider trading and of course killing members of their "own".

allegedly.


not your subject maaaam.
if the quenn lives in ahouse owned by the state its social housing... surely? so im sure bedroom tax would be payable. just another thing this band of parasites get away with, not to mention insider trading and of course killing members of their "own". allegedly. not your subject maaaam. fear your government
  • Score: 0

5:36pm Fri 28 Jun 13

bagnall1928@yahoo.com says...

I lived in Goathland years ago, had a business there also for awhile.
It was a a lovely place to live. but in winter it could be cut off and also powerless at times.
We used to use a primus stove to make hot drinks and soup and take it down to Beckhole for elderly people who couldn't get out. we got all the candles we could, small primus stoves too.
Its not a time for the Royal family to be raising taxes
in areas such as this.
they have enough problems
believe me.
forget the tourists, its the local people who matter, some very elderly and infirm.
Her Majesty is far from broke and I don't think she is perhaps even aware of what is being done in her name.
I lived in Goathland years ago, had a business there also for awhile. It was a a lovely place to live. but in winter it could be cut off and also powerless at times. We used to use a primus stove to make hot drinks and soup and take it down to Beckhole for elderly people who couldn't get out. we got all the candles we could, small primus stoves too. Its not a time for the Royal family to be raising taxes in areas such as this. they have enough problems believe me. forget the tourists, its the local people who matter, some very elderly and infirm. Her Majesty is far from broke and I don't think she is perhaps even aware of what is being done in her name. bagnall1928@yahoo.com
  • Score: 0

5:41pm Fri 28 Jun 13

truthseeker2 says...

Parasites indeed. The old order aggressively reasserting itself, following the lead of No. 10...
Parasites indeed. The old order aggressively reasserting itself, following the lead of No. 10... truthseeker2
  • Score: 0

6:16pm Fri 28 Jun 13

MrChuckles says...

PinzaC55 wrote:
MrChuckles wrote:
The Royals are selfish, ignorant, outdated , useless and the expense far outweighs the value!
People cry about how they bring in tourism etc, so what? People will still go and see Buckingham palace weather the tax spongers are their to offer them a cup of tea (from their plantations) or not?
Time this country woke up!
They have just been given yet another pay rise, most likely paying for the 1million pound renovations to Wills and Kates new pad in time for the baby!
Disgrace, the people of Goathland have all the support from myself.
http://www.youtube.c


om/watch?v=KbsQkKOsT


Zg
Yes, and if stories like this serve any purpose it's in reminding people of the true nature of the society we live in.
Absolutely
It most certainly does PinzaC55.

It tells us that, well, Britain is home to a proud, positive, pleasant, hard-working, law abiding population, a trait I see in myself and i'm sure the people of Goathland. In contrast to this Mark Bolland, former press officer for Prince Charles, was quoted on Janet Street Porter's BBC programme in 2005 as saying "the Windsors are very good at working three days a week, five months of a year and making it look as though they work hard" .

I'm also patriotic, I travel a lot, but love this country, it stands for the values of freedom, democracy, equality and tolerance that, by broad political consensus, are said to be at the heart of a modern Britain, it's hard to see how the Monarchy falls within this. Sadly, as Thomas Paine put it, over 200 years ago, for many 'a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right.'
[quote][p][bold]PinzaC55[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MrChuckles[/bold] wrote: The Royals are selfish, ignorant, outdated , useless and the expense far outweighs the value! People cry about how they bring in tourism etc, so what? People will still go and see Buckingham palace weather the tax spongers are their to offer them a cup of tea (from their plantations) or not? Time this country woke up! They have just been given yet another pay rise, most likely paying for the 1million pound renovations to Wills and Kates new pad in time for the baby! Disgrace, the people of Goathland have all the support from myself. http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=KbsQkKOsT Zg[/p][/quote]Yes, and if stories like this serve any purpose it's in reminding people of the true nature of the society we live in.[/p][/quote]Absolutely It most certainly does PinzaC55. It tells us that, well, Britain is home to a proud, positive, pleasant, hard-working, law abiding population, a trait I see in myself and i'm sure the people of Goathland. In contrast to this Mark Bolland, former press officer for Prince Charles, was quoted on Janet Street Porter's BBC programme in 2005 as saying "the Windsors are very good at working three days a week, five months of a year and making it look as though they work hard" . I'm also patriotic, I travel a lot, but love this country, it stands for the values of freedom, democracy, equality and tolerance that, by broad political consensus, are said to be at the heart of a modern Britain, it's hard to see how the Monarchy falls within this. Sadly, as Thomas Paine put it, over 200 years ago, for many 'a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right.' MrChuckles
  • Score: 0

6:55pm Fri 28 Jun 13

bjb says...

And we are still giving the Queen an extra 5% when everything else is being cut 10%.

I agree with all those above who think the monarchy is a waste of money and serve no useful purpose. Do all those that think the tourists will stop coming believe that the royals is all they come for. This country has more going for it in York, Stratford upon Avon, Bath and Scotland.
And we are still giving the Queen an extra 5% when everything else is being cut 10%. I agree with all those above who think the monarchy is a waste of money and serve no useful purpose. Do all those that think the tourists will stop coming believe that the royals is all they come for. This country has more going for it in York, Stratford upon Avon, Bath and Scotland. bjb
  • Score: 0

8:34pm Fri 28 Jun 13

MouseHouse says...

Amongst many reasons why we are refused a referendum on the monarch is that the 'powers that be' are absolutely petrified of the answer. They are not sure they'll get the 60%+ needed for them to continue in their money grabbing, inconsiderate, clumsy, deluded, arrogant way they currently behave. If you don't know the answer...don't ask the question.

I believe we'll be living in a British Republic within 50 years. The sooner the better. REPUBLIC NOW.
Amongst many reasons why we are refused a referendum on the monarch is that the 'powers that be' are absolutely petrified of the answer. They are not sure they'll get the 60%+ needed for them to continue in their money grabbing, inconsiderate, clumsy, deluded, arrogant way they currently behave. If you don't know the answer...don't ask the question. I believe we'll be living in a British Republic within 50 years. The sooner the better. REPUBLIC NOW. MouseHouse
  • Score: 0

1:10am Sat 29 Jun 13

ColdAsChristmas says...

£38 Billion revenue for off shore wind turbine rent, the same next year for the Civil List and this lot on top.The richest woman on Earth and there is no end to it. Cuts, what cuts?
Bring on Prince William, if the Monarchy is to survive, only he can save it, if he wants to?
£38 Billion revenue for off shore wind turbine rent, the same next year for the Civil List and this lot on top.The richest woman on Earth and there is no end to it. Cuts, what cuts? Bring on Prince William, if the Monarchy is to survive, only he can save it, if he wants to? ColdAsChristmas
  • Score: 0

3:50am Sat 29 Jun 13

Magicman! says...

Do we know if the Duchy has recently changed hands? Because it sounds to me as if somebody new is doing it, and has realised they can grab shedloads of money for themselves and so are trying to bankrupt the villagers for his/her own gain, under the masquarade of it being 'for the royal estate'.
Do we know if the Duchy has recently changed hands? Because it sounds to me as if somebody new is doing it, and has realised they can grab shedloads of money for themselves and so are trying to bankrupt the villagers for his/her own gain, under the masquarade of it being 'for the royal estate'. Magicman!
  • Score: 0

1:31pm Sat 29 Jun 13

MrChuckles says...

Magicman! wrote:
Do we know if the Duchy has recently changed hands? Because it sounds to me as if somebody new is doing it, and has realised they can grab shedloads of money for themselves and so are trying to bankrupt the villagers for his/her own gain, under the masquarade of it being 'for the royal estate'.
No, and regardless of who they are, they are employed to represent and act on behalf of the Leaches! People in Gaothland have apparently sent letters to "the top" as has been the case in other areas where Medieval Feudalism has reared it's ugly head, and merely the response hasn't changed from silence or declining to comment.
[quote][p][bold]Magicman![/bold] wrote: Do we know if the Duchy has recently changed hands? Because it sounds to me as if somebody new is doing it, and has realised they can grab shedloads of money for themselves and so are trying to bankrupt the villagers for his/her own gain, under the masquarade of it being 'for the royal estate'.[/p][/quote]No, and regardless of who they are, they are employed to represent and act on behalf of the Leaches! People in Gaothland have apparently sent letters to "the top" as has been the case in other areas where Medieval Feudalism has reared it's ugly head, and merely the response hasn't changed from silence or declining to comment. MrChuckles
  • Score: 0

4:15pm Sat 29 Jun 13

MouseHouse says...

MrChuckles wrote:
Magicman! wrote:
Do we know if the Duchy has recently changed hands? Because it sounds to me as if somebody new is doing it, and has realised they can grab shedloads of money for themselves and so are trying to bankrupt the villagers for his/her own gain, under the masquarade of it being 'for the royal estate'.
No, and regardless of who they are, they are employed to represent and act on behalf of the Leaches! People in Gaothland have apparently sent letters to "the top" as has been the case in other areas where Medieval Feudalism has reared it's ugly head, and merely the response hasn't changed from silence or declining to comment.
Nor will it. The un-elected firm of Windsor & Co. are on to a good thing, and they know it. It's time the the parasites to go. We can make this change peacefully, no need for any violence or drama. Campaign, write to your MP, write to Mrs. Windsor, demonstrate if one of her family is coming to town. We can make the change to a grown up Republic in a British way - calmly, peacefully and successfully.

REPUBLIC NOW.
[quote][p][bold]MrChuckles[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Magicman![/bold] wrote: Do we know if the Duchy has recently changed hands? Because it sounds to me as if somebody new is doing it, and has realised they can grab shedloads of money for themselves and so are trying to bankrupt the villagers for his/her own gain, under the masquarade of it being 'for the royal estate'.[/p][/quote]No, and regardless of who they are, they are employed to represent and act on behalf of the Leaches! People in Gaothland have apparently sent letters to "the top" as has been the case in other areas where Medieval Feudalism has reared it's ugly head, and merely the response hasn't changed from silence or declining to comment.[/p][/quote]Nor will it. The un-elected firm of Windsor & Co. are on to a good thing, and they know it. It's time the the parasites to go. We can make this change peacefully, no need for any violence or drama. Campaign, write to your MP, write to Mrs. Windsor, demonstrate if one of her family is coming to town. We can make the change to a grown up Republic in a British way - calmly, peacefully and successfully. REPUBLIC NOW. MouseHouse
  • Score: 0

11:02am Fri 5 Jul 13

eeoodares says...

MouseHouse wrote:
MrChuckles wrote:
Magicman! wrote:
Do we know if the Duchy has recently changed hands? Because it sounds to me as if somebody new is doing it, and has realised they can grab shedloads of money for themselves and so are trying to bankrupt the villagers for his/her own gain, under the masquarade of it being 'for the royal estate'.
No, and regardless of who they are, they are employed to represent and act on behalf of the Leaches! People in Gaothland have apparently sent letters to "the top" as has been the case in other areas where Medieval Feudalism has reared it's ugly head, and merely the response hasn't changed from silence or declining to comment.
Nor will it. The un-elected firm of Windsor & Co. are on to a good thing, and they know it. It's time the the parasites to go. We can make this change peacefully, no need for any violence or drama. Campaign, write to your MP, write to Mrs. Windsor, demonstrate if one of her family is coming to town. We can make the change to a grown up Republic in a British way - calmly, peacefully and successfully.

REPUBLIC NOW.
Mouse House, are you just going to repeat yourself over and over again. We get your point, but using upper case and repeating yourself you start to sound a bit of a loon!
[quote][p][bold]MouseHouse[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MrChuckles[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Magicman![/bold] wrote: Do we know if the Duchy has recently changed hands? Because it sounds to me as if somebody new is doing it, and has realised they can grab shedloads of money for themselves and so are trying to bankrupt the villagers for his/her own gain, under the masquarade of it being 'for the royal estate'.[/p][/quote]No, and regardless of who they are, they are employed to represent and act on behalf of the Leaches! People in Gaothland have apparently sent letters to "the top" as has been the case in other areas where Medieval Feudalism has reared it's ugly head, and merely the response hasn't changed from silence or declining to comment.[/p][/quote]Nor will it. The un-elected firm of Windsor & Co. are on to a good thing, and they know it. It's time the the parasites to go. We can make this change peacefully, no need for any violence or drama. Campaign, write to your MP, write to Mrs. Windsor, demonstrate if one of her family is coming to town. We can make the change to a grown up Republic in a British way - calmly, peacefully and successfully. REPUBLIC NOW.[/p][/quote]Mouse House, are you just going to repeat yourself over and over again. We get your point, but using upper case and repeating yourself you start to sound a bit of a loon! eeoodares
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree