10:36am Wednesday 13th February 2013
A mother who recently succumbed to the horrific fire that wiped out her young family more than two years ago “is now at peace with her children” after she was laid to rest.
Sam Hudson, 29, was the only survivor of the blaze that ripped through the home as the family slept and took the lives of William, nine, AJ, five, and three-year-old Maddie.
Sam was left with brain damage after the fire in Bridlington in November, 2010.
She died in hospital on February 3 after contracting pneumonia while being cared for at the Sue Ryder home in Holme-on-Spalding-Moor.
Her funeral was yesterday at Emmanuel Church, Bridlington, the same church where her children were remembered.
The Rev Chris McCarthy told mourners, including her mother Sharon, 51, and father Robert, 53, that Sam was “back with her children”.
“We know that this is not the end. For Sam, this is only the beginning,” he said.
“Sam is now at peace with William, AJ and Maddie.”
The three children died from smoke inhalation from the fire, which was believed to have been started by a discarded cigarette which ignited clothes hanging under the bay window.
© Copyright 2001-2014 Newsquest Media Group