Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Former Luton Town manager Gary Brabin loses appeal over outburst
FORMER Luton Town manager Gary Brabin has lost his appeal against his conviction for hurling abuse at York City coaching staff.
The 41-year-old, of Liverpool, now faces a £750 court bill on top of the £1,315 he was ordered to pay by district judge Jonathan Bennett following his trial last May.
A judge sitting with two magistrates rejected his appeal at York Crown Court at the end of a two-day hearing.
Brabin was prosecuted following an incident at Bootham Crescent on April 19, 2011, when he was managing Luton Town and the Bedfordshire team were beaten 1-0 by York City.
Brabin denied using threatening words or behaviour towards staff in the home team’s dugout.
The district judge said during last year’s hearing: “This was not just a heated argument of the type that is seen regularly in the technical areas of football grounds around the country.
“It was of someone whose language and behaviour were such that he was ordered to leave by the referee.
“Here was a man, albeit for a brief period, who appears to have lost self-control, as particularly evidenced by his behaviour in the moments after the direction from the referee to leave the pitchside,” he said.
Brabin was convicted and the district judge fined him £400 and ordered to pay prosecution costs of £900 and a victim surcharge of £15.
At the end of the appeal hearing the court ordered him to pay the prosecution’s appeal costs of £750, making a total bill of £2,065.