11:34am Tuesday 1st January 2013
AN ELDERLY couple who were firebombed out of the home they had lived in for more than five decades have still not seen justice – more than nine months on.
North Yorkshire Police launched a massive investigation following the attack in Lucas Avenue, Clifton, while the couple, aged 78 and 81 at the time, were inside.
The couple have now been re-homed as they are too frightened to return to what was their home for more than 50 years.
Police said “understandably” the couple had asked for help in re-locating as officers continue to hunt for those responsible for the March 16 attack.
Despite detectives increasing patrols, appealing for witnesses and scouring CCTV footage, efforts to find those responsible have so far failed.
A spokesman said “regrettably” no offenders had yet been apprehended adding that “all lines of inquiry had been exhausted”.
Now North Yorkshire Police have re-launched their appeal for help – saying they would welcome any information at all that can finally bring those responsible to justice.
The couple were going about their normal evening routine in their home when a blazing object smelling strongly of petrol was hurled through the downstairs front window.
Flames engulfed the room as the couple managed to escape.
Two teams of firefighters battled the blaze for an hour but the house was so badly damaged it was left uninhabitable and many of the couple’s treasured belongings and furniture were destroyed.
Neighbours said they could not think of any reason why the couple should have been targeted. The said the grandfather, a retired lorry driver, and the grandmother, a regular attender at St Luke’s Church, Clifton, would “do anything for anybody”.
Police have not ruled out mistaken identity.
Detectives want to hear of any sightings of two men in dark clothing or anyone carrying a petrol can or similar container at about 9pm. Anyone with information should phone the police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
© Copyright 2001-2014 Newsquest Media Group