Extend restrictions

York Press: Extend restrictions Extend restrictions

Now we have become aware of the huge numbers of fines associated with non-exempted vehicles crossing Lendal Bridge, it is time to question whether what has been done is in fact congestion charging by stealth.

There is a case to be made for not only continuing the present restrictions but also extending them to other sections of city routes.

With the large increases in city suburbia and population proposed in the draft Local Plan, it is surely naïve to continue with the present largely open unrestrained access.

I suspect that the main problem is the fear that there are few votes for those who would contemplate introducing such restrictions.

However, this and other potential city administrations should consider a scheme which would involve charging for access with charges tailored to times of the day.

This would have to be coupled with high frequency of both Park&Ride and other bus services which would be financed from the congestion charges.

The problems of traffic are not just about congestion, they are also about urban air pollution affecting health, quality of life and the attractiveness of the inner city.

David Randon, Blue Slates Close, Wheldrake.
 

• Wow! £1.3 million in just a few months (Bridge fines reach £1.3 million, February 12).

Why don’t we close Blossom Street in time for the Grand Départ and make another killing from unsuspecting overseas visitors?

Jack Hunter, Oaken Grove, Haxby, York


• I HAVE watched for five months the disastrous closing of one half of our city from another, and I have listened, read and very occasionally taken part in radio discussion on the issue, but overall kept my own counsel.

However, no longer! The news that this council are netting more than £1 million in fines shows that this ‘trial’ is not working (The Press, February 12).

The council has shown that it is not listening or the bridge would be open; we would not have 20mph limits, a disastrous Local Plan, a plan to link us to Leeds, dreadful changes in our city centre, money wasted on things no one wants, even as we are threatened with a 1.9 per cent hike in council tax, while the council wages its own private war with central government.

At the moment, there is nothing we can do. All we can do is prepare – prepare for May 2015 when we can do something and I urge everyone to vote.

I want all the citizens of York to vote for what they want, for the best party for this city, but most importantly to vote.

Judith Morris, Chair, York UKIP Regional vice chair, Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire.

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:23pm Mon 17 Feb 14

The Great Buda says...

If UKIP are against it, then I'm all for it.
If UKIP are against it, then I'm all for it. The Great Buda
  • Score: 19

2:30pm Mon 17 Feb 14

Jonthan says...

I think the last letter is from the same Judith Morris who wrote to complain that York Council had joined combined authority for West Yorkshire when in fact it had done no such thing. We are still waiting for a retraction from UKIP

Then there are the floods. A senior Ukipper said that it was God's will that we should be flooded because of proposals to introduce gay marriage. So imagine a Ukipper in charge of enviroinmental policy on weather.

Talking about floods, weren't we (according to UKIP) going to be flooded with up to 28million Bulgarians and Rumanians? It turns out the figure is closer to 28.
So on the one hand UKIP does not know what day it is, but the good news is that enough people will still back them and split the Tory vote in many key marginals, thus ensuring a Labour government
I think the last letter is from the same Judith Morris who wrote to complain that York Council had joined combined authority for West Yorkshire when in fact it had done no such thing. We are still waiting for a retraction from UKIP Then there are the floods. A senior Ukipper said that it was God's will that we should be flooded because of proposals to introduce gay marriage. So imagine a Ukipper in charge of enviroinmental policy on weather. Talking about floods, weren't we (according to UKIP) going to be flooded with up to 28million Bulgarians and Rumanians? It turns out the figure is closer to 28. So on the one hand UKIP does not know what day it is, but the good news is that enough people will still back them and split the Tory vote in many key marginals, thus ensuring a Labour government Jonthan
  • Score: 19

3:18pm Mon 17 Feb 14

BL2 says...

I'd be interested to know just how often "David Randon, Blue Slates Close, Wheldrake." travels within the city? It's a complete disaster at the moment, any further measures would kill it entirely! Congestion charging is never an answer!
I'd be interested to know just how often "David Randon, Blue Slates Close, Wheldrake." travels within the city? It's a complete disaster at the moment, any further measures would kill it entirely! Congestion charging is never an answer! BL2
  • Score: -17

3:58pm Mon 17 Feb 14

mutley12321 says...

Hello Jonthan,

I don't agree with odious and ill-informed UKIP policies, assuming they have any which after the last few weeks looks doubtful.

However, this letter relates to the Bridge saga and not floods, immigration or any suggested link up with West Yorkshire of which you quote. Feel free to write a letter into the press and start a new thread should you feel like it.

Try to keep on topic (i.e the bridge) and try not to digress from a subject that you’re clearly so passionate about; although you've been a bit quiet of late on this subject?

Best wishes.
Hello Jonthan, I don't agree with odious and ill-informed UKIP policies, assuming they have any which after the last few weeks looks doubtful. However, this letter relates to the Bridge saga and not floods, immigration or any suggested link up with West Yorkshire of which you quote. Feel free to write a letter into the press and start a new thread should you feel like it. Try to keep on topic (i.e the bridge) and try not to digress from a subject that you’re clearly so passionate about; although you've been a bit quiet of late on this subject? Best wishes. mutley12321
  • Score: -18

4:56pm Mon 17 Feb 14

TheTruthHurts says...

mutley12321 wrote:
Hello Jonthan,

I don't agree with odious and ill-informed UKIP policies, assuming they have any which after the last few weeks looks doubtful.

However, this letter relates to the Bridge saga and not floods, immigration or any suggested link up with West Yorkshire of which you quote. Feel free to write a letter into the press and start a new thread should you feel like it.

Try to keep on topic (i.e the bridge) and try not to digress from a subject that you’re clearly so passionate about; although you've been a bit quiet of late on this subject?

Best wishes.
well said
[quote][p][bold]mutley12321[/bold] wrote: Hello Jonthan, I don't agree with odious and ill-informed UKIP policies, assuming they have any which after the last few weeks looks doubtful. However, this letter relates to the Bridge saga and not floods, immigration or any suggested link up with West Yorkshire of which you quote. Feel free to write a letter into the press and start a new thread should you feel like it. Try to keep on topic (i.e the bridge) and try not to digress from a subject that you’re clearly so passionate about; although you've been a bit quiet of late on this subject? Best wishes.[/p][/quote]well said TheTruthHurts
  • Score: -20

5:10pm Mon 17 Feb 14

Tug job says...

mutley12321 wrote:
Hello Jonthan,

I don't agree with odious and ill-informed UKIP policies, assuming they have any which after the last few weeks looks doubtful.

However, this letter relates to the Bridge saga and not floods, immigration or any suggested link up with West Yorkshire of which you quote. Feel free to write a letter into the press and start a new thread should you feel like it.

Try to keep on topic (i.e the bridge) and try not to digress from a subject that you’re clearly so passionate about; although you've been a bit quiet of late on this subject?

Best wishes.
I'll keep to the topic of the bridge. The letter writer claims there has been "a disastrous closing of one half of the city from the other" but this is not true. No bridge has been closed, rather access has been restricted. There are two other bridges in the centre connecting the two sides of the city to each other during the day. Why would a UKIP spokesperson seek to publish views which they know to be untrue?
[quote][p][bold]mutley12321[/bold] wrote: Hello Jonthan, I don't agree with odious and ill-informed UKIP policies, assuming they have any which after the last few weeks looks doubtful. However, this letter relates to the Bridge saga and not floods, immigration or any suggested link up with West Yorkshire of which you quote. Feel free to write a letter into the press and start a new thread should you feel like it. Try to keep on topic (i.e the bridge) and try not to digress from a subject that you’re clearly so passionate about; although you've been a bit quiet of late on this subject? Best wishes.[/p][/quote]I'll keep to the topic of the bridge. The letter writer claims there has been "a disastrous closing of one half of the city from the other" but this is not true. No bridge has been closed, rather access has been restricted. There are two other bridges in the centre connecting the two sides of the city to each other during the day. Why would a UKIP spokesperson seek to publish views which they know to be untrue? Tug job
  • Score: 22

6:24pm Mon 17 Feb 14

Jonthan says...

TheTruthHurts wrote:
mutley12321 wrote:
Hello Jonthan,

I don't agree with odious and ill-informed UKIP policies, assuming they have any which after the last few weeks looks doubtful.

However, this letter relates to the Bridge saga and not floods, immigration or any suggested link up with West Yorkshire of which you quote. Feel free to write a letter into the press and start a new thread should you feel like it.

Try to keep on topic (i.e the bridge) and try not to digress from a subject that you’re clearly so passionate about; although you've been a bit quiet of late on this subject?

Best wishes.
well said
Thanks for the tip, TruthHurts but I'm afraid you have missed my point which is that with a track record of getting it wrong on everything, UKIP is in no position to pass judgement on Lendal Bridge or anything else.
My point is reinforced by TugJob who points out that UKIP are peddling "facts" about the bridge which they know to be untrue. Moreover the letter writer states that she wants people to vote for the best party in the city, but it's not true, she wants them to vote for UKIP.
[quote][p][bold]TheTruthHurts[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mutley12321[/bold] wrote: Hello Jonthan, I don't agree with odious and ill-informed UKIP policies, assuming they have any which after the last few weeks looks doubtful. However, this letter relates to the Bridge saga and not floods, immigration or any suggested link up with West Yorkshire of which you quote. Feel free to write a letter into the press and start a new thread should you feel like it. Try to keep on topic (i.e the bridge) and try not to digress from a subject that you’re clearly so passionate about; although you've been a bit quiet of late on this subject? Best wishes.[/p][/quote]well said[/p][/quote]Thanks for the tip, TruthHurts but I'm afraid you have missed my point which is that with a track record of getting it wrong on everything, UKIP is in no position to pass judgement on Lendal Bridge or anything else. My point is reinforced by TugJob who points out that UKIP are peddling "facts" about the bridge which they know to be untrue. Moreover the letter writer states that she wants people to vote for the best party in the city, but it's not true, she wants them to vote for UKIP. Jonthan
  • Score: 15

6:53pm Mon 17 Feb 14

Jonthan says...

Apologies again, My eessage above should be directed to mutley, not TruthHurts
Apologies again, My eessage above should be directed to mutley, not TruthHurts Jonthan
  • Score: 11

7:12pm Mon 17 Feb 14

mutley12321 says...

Hello Johnthan,

I’m pleased my tip helped you.

You’re claiming again the UKIP argument. I think you’re defeating yourself again by straying wildly off topic and stating which individuals/politica
l ideals can make an opinion? I disagree with the UKIP (see previous comment on their non-policies) but believe all commentators (including the 2 non-UKIP letters that have been ignored by this thread derailment) have the right to voice an opinion, despite it being in disagreement to yours.

Stick to the subject topic and debate the issue – don’t lower yourself to bashing individuals.

Best wishes
Hello Johnthan, I’m pleased my tip helped you. You’re claiming again the UKIP argument. I think you’re defeating yourself again by straying wildly off topic and stating which individuals/politica l ideals can make an opinion? I disagree with the UKIP (see previous comment on their non-policies) but believe all commentators (including the 2 non-UKIP letters that have been ignored by this thread derailment) have the right to voice an opinion, despite it being in disagreement to yours. Stick to the subject topic and debate the issue – don’t lower yourself to bashing individuals. Best wishes mutley12321
  • Score: -18

10:58pm Mon 17 Feb 14

Jonthan says...

mutley12321 wrote:
Hello Johnthan,

I’m pleased my tip helped you.

You’re claiming again the UKIP argument. I think you’re defeating yourself again by straying wildly off topic and stating which individuals/politica

l ideals can make an opinion? I disagree with the UKIP (see previous comment on their non-policies) but believe all commentators (including the 2 non-UKIP letters that have been ignored by this thread derailment) have the right to voice an opinion, despite it being in disagreement to yours.

Stick to the subject topic and debate the issue – don’t lower yourself to bashing individuals.

Best wishes
Mutley, It's jolly decent of you to set yourself up as referee, however I'm rather inclined to trust my judgement over your own in the matter of selecting targets,

When you say that all are entitled to an opinion. I claim that same right without seeking the approval of yourself or others. A little pompous of you to believe that your intervention might persuade me to do otherwise.
[quote][p][bold]mutley12321[/bold] wrote: Hello Johnthan, I’m pleased my tip helped you. You’re claiming again the UKIP argument. I think you’re defeating yourself again by straying wildly off topic and stating which individuals/politica l ideals can make an opinion? I disagree with the UKIP (see previous comment on their non-policies) but believe all commentators (including the 2 non-UKIP letters that have been ignored by this thread derailment) have the right to voice an opinion, despite it being in disagreement to yours. Stick to the subject topic and debate the issue – don’t lower yourself to bashing individuals. Best wishes[/p][/quote]Mutley, It's jolly decent of you to set yourself up as referee, however I'm rather inclined to trust my judgement over your own in the matter of selecting targets, When you say that all are entitled to an opinion. I claim that same right without seeking the approval of yourself or others. A little pompous of you to believe that your intervention might persuade me to do otherwise. Jonthan
  • Score: 6

11:58pm Mon 17 Feb 14

mutley12321 says...

Jonthan wrote:
mutley12321 wrote:
Hello Johnthan,

I’m pleased my tip helped you.

You’re claiming again the UKIP argument. I think you’re defeating yourself again by straying wildly off topic and stating which individuals/politica


l ideals can make an opinion? I disagree with the UKIP (see previous comment on their non-policies) but believe all commentators (including the 2 non-UKIP letters that have been ignored by this thread derailment) have the right to voice an opinion, despite it being in disagreement to yours.

Stick to the subject topic and debate the issue – don’t lower yourself to bashing individuals.

Best wishes
Mutley, It's jolly decent of you to set yourself up as referee, however I'm rather inclined to trust my judgement over your own in the matter of selecting targets,

When you say that all are entitled to an opinion. I claim that same right without seeking the approval of yourself or others. A little pompous of you to believe that your intervention might persuade me to do otherwise.
Hello Jonthan,

I see myself neither as referee nor bipartisan in the bridge debate, just an interested commenter. I'm afraid we don't agree on certain aspects, not to worry, don't get upset, learn from it and move on.

As for my intervention, (which was more of an opinion, although let's not split hairs), I can try and educate you to see beyond a blinkered political view, I'm unable to do your thinking for you.

Best wishes.
[quote][p][bold]Jonthan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mutley12321[/bold] wrote: Hello Johnthan, I’m pleased my tip helped you. You’re claiming again the UKIP argument. I think you’re defeating yourself again by straying wildly off topic and stating which individuals/politica l ideals can make an opinion? I disagree with the UKIP (see previous comment on their non-policies) but believe all commentators (including the 2 non-UKIP letters that have been ignored by this thread derailment) have the right to voice an opinion, despite it being in disagreement to yours. Stick to the subject topic and debate the issue – don’t lower yourself to bashing individuals. Best wishes[/p][/quote]Mutley, It's jolly decent of you to set yourself up as referee, however I'm rather inclined to trust my judgement over your own in the matter of selecting targets, When you say that all are entitled to an opinion. I claim that same right without seeking the approval of yourself or others. A little pompous of you to believe that your intervention might persuade me to do otherwise.[/p][/quote]Hello Jonthan, I see myself neither as referee nor bipartisan in the bridge debate, just an interested commenter. I'm afraid we don't agree on certain aspects, not to worry, don't get upset, learn from it and move on. As for my intervention, (which was more of an opinion, although let's not split hairs), I can try and educate you to see beyond a blinkered political view, I'm unable to do your thinking for you. Best wishes. mutley12321
  • Score: -14

2:28am Tue 18 Feb 14

ColdAsChristmas says...

Yes, keep to the topic,. Jonthan and respect the fact that there are views different to yours and JA out there.
Yes, keep to the topic,. Jonthan and respect the fact that there are views different to yours and JA out there. ColdAsChristmas
  • Score: -14

3:04am Tue 18 Feb 14

Magicman! says...

I don't agree with congestion charging per se, however there should be a system in place which prevents people from driving anywhere within the boundary of the inner ring round simply to shortcut and skip a few sets of traffic lights - as that is the key source of congestion and pollution within the historic city centre.
Buses are cleaning up now too... Arriva has 4 efficient minibuses going around, First have got 6 electric buses waiting until April to start work with a further 6 of the same on order, and First this week have taken delivery of the 1st of 5 hybrid diesel-electric double decker buses to replace some of the 'YJ51' registered buses which are getting old and so are going over the pennines instead.
I don't agree with congestion charging per se, however there should be a system in place which prevents people from driving anywhere within the boundary of the inner ring round simply to shortcut and skip a few sets of traffic lights - as that is the key source of congestion and pollution within the historic city centre. Buses are cleaning up now too... Arriva has 4 efficient minibuses going around, First have got 6 electric buses waiting until April to start work with a further 6 of the same on order, and First this week have taken delivery of the 1st of 5 hybrid diesel-electric double decker buses to replace some of the 'YJ51' registered buses which are getting old and so are going over the pennines instead. Magicman!
  • Score: 14

12:04pm Tue 18 Feb 14

Lunatic says...

"the disastrous closing of one half of our city from another"

I've yet to see any evidence that it's been a disaster. Most of my journeys from Holgate to James Street and then on to Clifton Moor are within the same five to ten minute variance they were before the bridge closed.

I'm against the closure, but it's not been the huge disaster people have claimed it would be.

If York can make millions off the backs of drivers who ignore road signs, road markings, and drive without due care and attention then I have no real objections.
"the disastrous closing of one half of our city from another" I've yet to see any evidence that it's been a disaster. Most of my journeys from Holgate to James Street and then on to Clifton Moor are within the same five to ten minute variance they were before the bridge closed. I'm against the closure, but it's not been the huge disaster people have claimed it would be. If York can make millions off the backs of drivers who ignore road signs, road markings, and drive without due care and attention then I have no real objections. Lunatic
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree