If the word fits...

COUN George Barton objects to the use of the term “Tory party” in his letter of January 26.

How strange, as my dictionary defines ‘Tory’ as “a bigoted or extreme Conservative”; and this government has some of the most extreme and pernicious policies in the past 30 years. He should however be relieved to know that the alternative term ‘the nasty party’ is rapidly gaining in popularity.

J Harrison, York.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:20pm Wed 6 Feb 13

Micklegate says...

What a shame The Press don't give more contact details, I would love to invite the witty, likeable and intelligent letter writer to my parties.
What a shame The Press don't give more contact details, I would love to invite the witty, likeable and intelligent letter writer to my parties. Micklegate

6:59pm Wed 6 Feb 13

Richard Feynman says...

Cool story, bro.
Cool story, bro. Richard Feynman

11:39pm Wed 6 Feb 13

twotonethomas says...

He objects to 'tory party'.

I thought that was one of the more acceptable/printable names for them.
He objects to 'tory party'. I thought that was one of the more acceptable/printable names for them. twotonethomas

12:49am Thu 7 Feb 13

Scarlet Pimpernel says...

I'm sure Coun Barton is relieved to learn that the Labour party have the monopoly on nastiness.
I'm sure Coun Barton is relieved to learn that the Labour party have the monopoly on nastiness. Scarlet Pimpernel

8:52am Thu 7 Feb 13

perplexed says...

Scarlet Pimpernel wrote:
I'm sure Coun Barton is relieved to learn that the Labour party have the monopoly on nastiness.
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, clearly the benefits of a uncluttered mind!
[quote][p][bold]Scarlet Pimpernel[/bold] wrote: I'm sure Coun Barton is relieved to learn that the Labour party have the monopoly on nastiness.[/p][/quote]Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, clearly the benefits of a uncluttered mind! perplexed

1:13pm Thu 7 Feb 13

Buzz Light-year says...

Politics is a bunch of arse.
Politics is a bunch of arse. Buzz Light-year

1:44pm Thu 7 Feb 13

Scarlet Pimpernel says...

Buzz Light-year wrote:
Politics is a bunch of arse.
Had 8 pints have you ?

Sounds like it, based on that poorly constructed sentence.
[quote][p][bold]Buzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: Politics is a bunch of arse.[/p][/quote]Had 8 pints have you ? Sounds like it, based on that poorly constructed sentence. Scarlet Pimpernel

1:49pm Thu 7 Feb 13

Scarlet Pimpernel says...

perplexed wrote:
Scarlet Pimpernel wrote: I'm sure Coun Barton is relieved to learn that the Labour party have the monopoly on nastiness.
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, clearly the benefits of a uncluttered mind!
Actually, it's based on popular opinion and observation of the vitriol from the likes of Balls, Cooper, Flint, Eagle, Skinner, Thornberry, Hillier, Flynn, Byrne, Reeves, Mann, Alexander, Crisp, Simpson-Laing - the list goes on, and on, and on.............
[quote][p][bold]perplexed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Scarlet Pimpernel[/bold] wrote: I'm sure Coun Barton is relieved to learn that the Labour party have the monopoly on nastiness.[/p][/quote]Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, clearly the benefits of a uncluttered mind![/p][/quote]Actually, it's based on popular opinion and observation of the vitriol from the likes of Balls, Cooper, Flint, Eagle, Skinner, Thornberry, Hillier, Flynn, Byrne, Reeves, Mann, Alexander, Crisp, Simpson-Laing - the list goes on, and on, and on............. Scarlet Pimpernel

3:51pm Thu 7 Feb 13

Buzz Light-year says...

Scarlet Pimpernel wrote:
Buzz Light-year wrote: Politics is a bunch of arse.
Had 8 pints have you ? Sounds like it, based on that poorly constructed sentence.
Eight pints and a massive bong-rip.

A comments facility is informal.
A letters page is not.

A bunch of arse is a wonderfully apt expression.
[quote][p][bold]Scarlet Pimpernel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Buzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: Politics is a bunch of arse.[/p][/quote]Had 8 pints have you ? Sounds like it, based on that poorly constructed sentence.[/p][/quote]Eight pints and a massive bong-rip. A comments facility is informal. A letters page is not. A bunch of arse is a wonderfully apt expression. Buzz Light-year

5:19pm Thu 7 Feb 13

perplexed says...

Scarlet Pimpernel wrote:
perplexed wrote:
Scarlet Pimpernel wrote: I'm sure Coun Barton is relieved to learn that the Labour party have the monopoly on nastiness.
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, clearly the benefits of a uncluttered mind!
Actually, it's based on popular opinion and observation of the vitriol from the likes of Balls, Cooper, Flint, Eagle, Skinner, Thornberry, Hillier, Flynn, Byrne, Reeves, Mann, Alexander, Crisp, Simpson-Laing - the list goes on, and on, and on.............
And of course pimpernel!
[quote][p][bold]Scarlet Pimpernel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]perplexed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Scarlet Pimpernel[/bold] wrote: I'm sure Coun Barton is relieved to learn that the Labour party have the monopoly on nastiness.[/p][/quote]Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, clearly the benefits of a uncluttered mind![/p][/quote]Actually, it's based on popular opinion and observation of the vitriol from the likes of Balls, Cooper, Flint, Eagle, Skinner, Thornberry, Hillier, Flynn, Byrne, Reeves, Mann, Alexander, Crisp, Simpson-Laing - the list goes on, and on, and on.............[/p][/quote]And of course pimpernel! perplexed

8:26pm Thu 7 Feb 13

Matt_S says...

The Conservative student society at the University of York call themselves York Tories. *shrug*
The Conservative student society at the University of York call themselves York Tories. *shrug* Matt_S

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree