Homelessness falls in York - but rental market remains off-limits to many

Homelessness falls in York - but rental market remains off-limits to many

Homelessness falls in York - but rental market remains off-limits to many

First published in News
Last updated
York Press: Photograph of the Author by , News editor

HOMELESSNESS has reduced in York but the city's housing crisis is intensifying for many, a new report has warned.

The annual Homelessness Review by City of York Council says there have been a number of heartening success stories, but says less well-off residents are finding it increasingly difficult to rent accommodation in the city.

York's large student population and strong economy have created high demand that is increasingly squeezing out those who are less well off and the issue has been heightened by a drop in the number of landlords using City of York Council's socially-responsible letting scheme, YorHome, the report warns.

Becky Ward, the council's homelessness manager, says in the report: "Accessing the private rented sector for vulnerable and less well-off customers is becoming increasingly difficult, despite a concerted effort to work with landlords."

She put the problem down to the level of Local Housing Allowance, and York's "vibrant student and labour market", which meant landlords had constant demand.

In 2012/13, York had 85 YorHome properties but that has fallen to 74, well short of the long-term 2014 target of 125 homes.

YorHome allows landlords to let their property "through an ethical, non profit making, socially responsible lettings agency" but Ms Ward said landlords had been selling up and council staffing problems had prevented the addition of new properties. A business plan has now been compiled to try to drive expansion.

The annual report says homelessness in York fell by 25.5 per cent in 2013/14, from 146 to 109, compared to a national drop of 2.3 per cent, and the city beat its target for reducing the number of families in temporary accommodation, but the number of rough sleepers rose from eight to nine and the 'homeless prevention' count of the number of people protected from becoming homeless fell from 746 to 683.

Ms Ward said reducing the overall number of homeless people to 109 was an "exceptional achievement" given the economic climate, and praised staff for their work.

She also said staff had done well to reduce rent arrears at the Peashome Centre and Howe Hill hostel, at a time when they were expected to rise, and said the council had done well to reduce the number of households in temporary accommodation to 79, against a target of 90. Bed and Breakfast accommodation for displaced households cost the council £103,000 last year, up from £96,000 the year before but down from £121,000 in 2011/12.

Nightstop and the Young Persons Homeless Workers saw more people in 2013/14 and the Older Persons Housing Specialist has improved services for older people.

Ms Ward warned: "There is a continued risk that due to the current economic climate and national agenda that homelessness will increase significantly." She said the threat would only be averted by continued hard work and investment.

Comments (31)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:27pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Zetkin says...

I can only see things getting worse, as national government remains intent on privatising every council house it possibly can, and building as few new ones as it can get away with.

Reductions in Landlord Subsidy, sorry housing benefit, disguised as attacks on inefficient spending have actually meant that landlords continue to coin it in whilst tenants, sorry "customers", continue to be forced ever-deeper into poverty.

After both world wars of the last century, in far worse economic circumstances that now apply, we managed to build hundreds of thousands of homes to let at rents that ordinary working people could afford.

Such provision seems now to be regarded as dangerous Bolvehivism when in fact it's ordinary human decency.

As we know though, decency goes straight out of the window if there's a profit to be made.

Mr Laverack's various alter egos will be along shortly to prove that decency is just another pinko plot.
I can only see things getting worse, as national government remains intent on privatising every council house it possibly can, and building as few new ones as it can get away with. Reductions in Landlord Subsidy, sorry housing benefit, disguised as attacks on inefficient spending have actually meant that landlords continue to coin it in whilst tenants, sorry "customers", continue to be forced ever-deeper into poverty. After both world wars of the last century, in far worse economic circumstances that now apply, we managed to build hundreds of thousands of homes to let at rents that ordinary working people could afford. Such provision seems now to be regarded as dangerous Bolvehivism when in fact it's ordinary human decency. As we know though, decency goes straight out of the window if there's a profit to be made. Mr Laverack's various alter egos will be along shortly to prove that decency is just another pinko plot. Zetkin
  • Score: 30

2:57pm Tue 22 Jul 14

wildthing666 says...

You only have to go near the university of york and the other one that is a glorified college to see property's in Fulford, Badgerhill, Clifton and surrounding areas are full of student accommodation, many are left empty because want to be students cannot afford a university place.
You only have to go near the university of york and the other one that is a glorified college to see property's in Fulford, Badgerhill, Clifton and surrounding areas are full of student accommodation, many are left empty because want to be students cannot afford a university place. wildthing666
  • Score: -8

3:10pm Tue 22 Jul 14

nearlyman says...

....and you only have to look at some of those properties to see how little respect the tenants give to tidiness, cleanliness and care of the property. No wonder the landlords charge exhorbitant rents. Social responsibility is a two way thing.
....and you only have to look at some of those properties to see how little respect the tenants give to tidiness, cleanliness and care of the property. No wonder the landlords charge exhorbitant rents. Social responsibility is a two way thing. nearlyman
  • Score: 12

3:11pm Tue 22 Jul 14

asd says...

Zetkin wrote:
I can only see things getting worse, as national government remains intent on privatising every council house it possibly can, and building as few new ones as it can get away with.

Reductions in Landlord Subsidy, sorry housing benefit, disguised as attacks on inefficient spending have actually meant that landlords continue to coin it in whilst tenants, sorry "customers", continue to be forced ever-deeper into poverty.

After both world wars of the last century, in far worse economic circumstances that now apply, we managed to build hundreds of thousands of homes to let at rents that ordinary working people could afford.

Such provision seems now to be regarded as dangerous Bolvehivism when in fact it's ordinary human decency.

As we know though, decency goes straight out of the window if there's a profit to be made.

Mr Laverack's various alter egos will be along shortly to prove that decency is just another pinko plot.
Well said. Its refreshing to hear from someone who has not selfish attitude like some who post on here, and actually understands the deliberate policy of Goverment to make housing shortages so prices and rent is out of the reach of people on low incomes. Its a disgrace!
[quote][p][bold]Zetkin[/bold] wrote: I can only see things getting worse, as national government remains intent on privatising every council house it possibly can, and building as few new ones as it can get away with. Reductions in Landlord Subsidy, sorry housing benefit, disguised as attacks on inefficient spending have actually meant that landlords continue to coin it in whilst tenants, sorry "customers", continue to be forced ever-deeper into poverty. After both world wars of the last century, in far worse economic circumstances that now apply, we managed to build hundreds of thousands of homes to let at rents that ordinary working people could afford. Such provision seems now to be regarded as dangerous Bolvehivism when in fact it's ordinary human decency. As we know though, decency goes straight out of the window if there's a profit to be made. Mr Laverack's various alter egos will be along shortly to prove that decency is just another pinko plot.[/p][/quote]Well said. Its refreshing to hear from someone who has not selfish attitude like some who post on here, and actually understands the deliberate policy of Goverment to make housing shortages so prices and rent is out of the reach of people on low incomes. Its a disgrace! asd
  • Score: 21

4:36pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Dave Ruddock says...

there does seem a stoppage of council even thinking of building "Affordable " homes, and my I remind all that its Couples and Single Men, Women on low incomes that fall into this crisis. All this private housing and estates are aimed at Middle Class, so com on Council, stop figure bashing and get building...
there does seem a stoppage of council even thinking of building "Affordable " homes, and my I remind all that its Couples and Single Men, Women on low incomes that fall into this crisis. All this private housing and estates are aimed at Middle Class, so com on Council, stop figure bashing and get building... Dave Ruddock
  • Score: 11

6:01pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Average Cynic says...

The disparity between wages and Rental prices in York is a joke, and it will only get worse while greedy Buy to Let Landlords and Developers are allowed to snap up every affordable property that comes on to the market.
The disparity between wages and Rental prices in York is a joke, and it will only get worse while greedy Buy to Let Landlords and Developers are allowed to snap up every affordable property that comes on to the market. Average Cynic
  • Score: 19

6:07pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Yorkie41 says...

Now why does that not surprise me, when the council changed the rules last year and people that where on the bronze list where removed from the housing list, and given no other options.Another one of there what I consider to be bullying tactics.
Now why does that not surprise me, when the council changed the rules last year and people that where on the bronze list where removed from the housing list, and given no other options.Another one of there what I consider to be bullying tactics. Yorkie41
  • Score: 7

6:17pm Tue 22 Jul 14

andyjon12 says...

York's housing crisis will continue as long as the status quo prevails. Bricks and mortar are seen as a guaranteed and easy way of making money for our so called social elite and the prospering upper middle-classes. Successive governments have deliberately engineered a housing shortage which has enabled their own investments to grow and grow. They don't care about the causal effects such as homelessness or the spiraling cost of Housing Benefit. Our politicians and their minions are only interested in feathering one's own nest at the expense of the "others".
York's housing crisis will continue as long as the status quo prevails. Bricks and mortar are seen as a guaranteed and easy way of making money for our so called social elite and the prospering upper middle-classes. Successive governments have deliberately engineered a housing shortage which has enabled their own investments to grow and grow. They don't care about the causal effects such as homelessness or the spiraling cost of Housing Benefit. Our politicians and their minions are only interested in feathering one's own nest at the expense of the "others". andyjon12
  • Score: 17

7:09pm Tue 22 Jul 14

GemmasPress says...

Yorhome are not ethical or non profit making!!! The reason for the fall in landlords using their so called service is because they lie to landlords and won't put in decent people on benefits who need help. They will only put in the worst tenants that the council will not rehome themselves. Landlords know what a con it is. If they could put in some of the decent people off their own list and be honest with landlords obviously landlords would use them! Why not just give the housing allowance to landlords n then tenants and landlords would both be happy.
Yorhome are not ethical or non profit making!!! The reason for the fall in landlords using their so called service is because they lie to landlords and won't put in decent people on benefits who need help. They will only put in the worst tenants that the council will not rehome themselves. Landlords know what a con it is. If they could put in some of the decent people off their own list and be honest with landlords obviously landlords would use them! Why not just give the housing allowance to landlords n then tenants and landlords would both be happy. GemmasPress
  • Score: 19

10:55pm Tue 22 Jul 14

Blythespirit says...

GemmasPress wrote:
Yorhome are not ethical or non profit making!!! The reason for the fall in landlords using their so called service is because they lie to landlords and won't put in decent people on benefits who need help. They will only put in the worst tenants that the council will not rehome themselves. Landlords know what a con it is. If they could put in some of the decent people off their own list and be honest with landlords obviously landlords would use them! Why not just give the housing allowance to landlords n then tenants and landlords would both be happy.
Couldn't agree with you more. A fairer way of doing things would be to introduce the landlord to prospective tenants and take references. That way the landlord could personally vet the tenants, choose the one they think most appropriate, and would prevent the council using the private rental properties as a dumping ground for the dross.
[quote][p][bold]GemmasPress[/bold] wrote: Yorhome are not ethical or non profit making!!! The reason for the fall in landlords using their so called service is because they lie to landlords and won't put in decent people on benefits who need help. They will only put in the worst tenants that the council will not rehome themselves. Landlords know what a con it is. If they could put in some of the decent people off their own list and be honest with landlords obviously landlords would use them! Why not just give the housing allowance to landlords n then tenants and landlords would both be happy.[/p][/quote]Couldn't agree with you more. A fairer way of doing things would be to introduce the landlord to prospective tenants and take references. That way the landlord could personally vet the tenants, choose the one they think most appropriate, and would prevent the council using the private rental properties as a dumping ground for the dross. Blythespirit
  • Score: 19

8:02am Wed 23 Jul 14

piaggio1 says...

I.m certain a recent liebour counciler? .could accomadate a few from the housing list!.
I.m certain a recent liebour counciler? .could accomadate a few from the housing list!. piaggio1
  • Score: 7

9:15am Wed 23 Jul 14

Bad Tackerler says...

I m a single man who earns £20k. My rent is £525 a month for a one bedroom flat. My man moan is that I know I get a mortgage with my repayments cheaper than my rent. As the rules stand now I can not get a mortgage as I can not get enough money saved for a deposit.
Moan over !
I m a single man who earns £20k. My rent is £525 a month for a one bedroom flat. My man moan is that I know I get a mortgage with my repayments cheaper than my rent. As the rules stand now I can not get a mortgage as I can not get enough money saved for a deposit. Moan over ! Bad Tackerler
  • Score: 12

10:14am Wed 23 Jul 14

Loollah says...

York is the only northern city in the UK to be featured in the top 10 most expensive places to live in the UK. Is it an wonder really when rents and council tax are sky high? At the age of 32, I have little chance of getting on the property ladder unless I inherit or find a job with a substancially higher pay!
York is the only northern city in the UK to be featured in the top 10 most expensive places to live in the UK. Is it an wonder really when rents and council tax are sky high? At the age of 32, I have little chance of getting on the property ladder unless I inherit or find a job with a substancially higher pay! Loollah
  • Score: 11

10:46am Wed 23 Jul 14

CommonSense!! says...

Simple supply and demand, if you can't afford to live in York then move somewhere you can afford to live.

Or alternatively moan and complain about how unfair it is and how it is all the nasty government's fault.
Simple supply and demand, if you can't afford to live in York then move somewhere you can afford to live. Or alternatively moan and complain about how unfair it is and how it is all the nasty government's fault. CommonSense!!
  • Score: -14

12:04pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Blythespirit says...

CommonSense!! wrote:
Simple supply and demand, if you can't afford to live in York then move somewhere you can afford to live.

Or alternatively moan and complain about how unfair it is and how it is all the nasty government's fault.
If you have been born and brought up in the city why should you have to move? My kids, like myself, have been born and brought up in York. Their jobs are in York. The difference is, I could afford to buy my first house at 22, with my husband, on pretty low wages. This isn't a possibility for my own children due to inflated house prices, nimbyism, and a large sector of the rental market being taken by students in HMOs. We need more affordable houses and a radical rethink about the way councils control the waiting lists for social housing. Bad tenants, who do not look after the homes they have been given, should be evicted and the homes given to people who will respect them. If anyone should be forced to move out of the city, it is the people who refuse to look after the asset they have been given.
[quote][p][bold]CommonSense!![/bold] wrote: Simple supply and demand, if you can't afford to live in York then move somewhere you can afford to live. Or alternatively moan and complain about how unfair it is and how it is all the nasty government's fault.[/p][/quote]If you have been born and brought up in the city why should you have to move? My kids, like myself, have been born and brought up in York. Their jobs are in York. The difference is, I could afford to buy my first house at 22, with my husband, on pretty low wages. This isn't a possibility for my own children due to inflated house prices, nimbyism, and a large sector of the rental market being taken by students in HMOs. We need more affordable houses and a radical rethink about the way councils control the waiting lists for social housing. Bad tenants, who do not look after the homes they have been given, should be evicted and the homes given to people who will respect them. If anyone should be forced to move out of the city, it is the people who refuse to look after the asset they have been given. Blythespirit
  • Score: 13

12:22pm Wed 23 Jul 14

CommonSense!! says...

If you can't afford to live here without the assistance of others (eg me and other taxpayers) then why should you?

Why should I subsidise your lifestyle? Live within your means, and if that means moving to somewhere you can afford then so be it.

You're right we should have a rethink on social housing, eg making it short term only, a year to get back on your feet if you fall on hard times, that is more than enough.
If you can't afford to live here without the assistance of others (eg me and other taxpayers) then why should you? Why should I subsidise your lifestyle? Live within your means, and if that means moving to somewhere you can afford then so be it. You're right we should have a rethink on social housing, eg making it short term only, a year to get back on your feet if you fall on hard times, that is more than enough. CommonSense!!
  • Score: -11

12:36pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Blythespirit says...

CommonSense!! wrote:
If you can't afford to live here without the assistance of others (eg me and other taxpayers) then why should you?

Why should I subsidise your lifestyle? Live within your means, and if that means moving to somewhere you can afford then so be it.

You're right we should have a rethink on social housing, eg making it short term only, a year to get back on your feet if you fall on hard times, that is more than enough.
Nobody has ever subsidised my lifestyle, thank you very much, but the fact that 'I'm all right Jack" does not blind me to the situation faced by others. Educate yourself about the realities of the situation and stop spouting Daily Mail rhetoric.
[quote][p][bold]CommonSense!![/bold] wrote: If you can't afford to live here without the assistance of others (eg me and other taxpayers) then why should you? Why should I subsidise your lifestyle? Live within your means, and if that means moving to somewhere you can afford then so be it. You're right we should have a rethink on social housing, eg making it short term only, a year to get back on your feet if you fall on hard times, that is more than enough.[/p][/quote]Nobody has ever subsidised my lifestyle, thank you very much, but the fact that 'I'm all right Jack" does not blind me to the situation faced by others. Educate yourself about the realities of the situation and stop spouting Daily Mail rhetoric. Blythespirit
  • Score: 12

1:38pm Wed 23 Jul 14

CommonSense!! says...

Ah, so you're one of the professionally offended?

Do you think the current model of people living in social housing all their lives is sustainable? Or just?

I am very well educated thank you, and as such am able to choose, and pay for myself, to live in York. Had I not made that effort I would not be complaining that I couldn't afford to live where I wished to live, I would be doing something about it and making sure I could afford it.

As always on here, the blinkered left wing presents the daily mail argument whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that allowing the lazy, idle and workshy the opportunity of living off the hard work of others is unsustainable.
Ah, so you're one of the professionally offended? Do you think the current model of people living in social housing all their lives is sustainable? Or just? I am very well educated thank you, and as such am able to choose, and pay for myself, to live in York. Had I not made that effort I would not be complaining that I couldn't afford to live where I wished to live, I would be doing something about it and making sure I could afford it. As always on here, the blinkered left wing presents the daily mail argument whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that allowing the lazy, idle and workshy the opportunity of living off the hard work of others is unsustainable. CommonSense!!
  • Score: -13

1:39pm Wed 23 Jul 14

meme says...

It is NOT Government policy to artificially cause a housing shortage
It is our planning system at fault and the fact we are a country of NIMBYS who don't want new development in their own backyard...Look at the local plan objections the fights over Fulford/Monks Cross etc, in fact everywhere.
planning costs a fortune approx. £25000 per house and has creates delays AND DELAYS MEAN COST
Political dogma ref affordable housing causes cost increases that are passed down the line to the buyer. section 106 demands such as payments for education/road improvements/public open space are all taxes that are passed to the buyer.
Housing development is not the cash cow people seem to think it is. that's why dozens went bust in the recession.
York is fantastic and a victim of its own success. The issue is not that there are no affordable houses its that the affordable ones are not where people want them. go to Leeds Donny, Halifax etc and they are plenty affordable but people want York which is a small City with a limited land supply and high demand leading to high prices ...In fact we are a mini London....People don't want small flats which is the only way of getting affordable homes
Frankly unless we go communist there is no solution as we don't have the allocated space to build the numbers of homes people want unless we build UP or build out...which most in York will object to.
It is NOT Government policy to artificially cause a housing shortage [The opposite in fact why do you think there is help to buy etc. Its to encourage the market to buy and enable developers to build more homes] It is our planning system at fault and the fact we are a country of NIMBYS who don't want new development in their own backyard...Look at the local plan objections the fights over Fulford/Monks Cross etc, in fact everywhere. planning costs a fortune approx. £25000 per house and has creates delays AND DELAYS MEAN COST Political dogma ref affordable housing causes cost increases that are passed down the line to the buyer. section 106 demands such as payments for education/road improvements/public open space are all taxes that are passed to the buyer. Housing development is not the cash cow people seem to think it is. that's why dozens went bust in the recession. York is fantastic and a victim of its own success. The issue is not that there are no affordable houses its that the affordable ones are not where people want them. go to Leeds Donny, Halifax etc and they are plenty affordable but people want York which is a small City with a limited land supply and high demand leading to high prices ...In fact we are a mini London....People don't want small flats which is the only way of getting affordable homes Frankly unless we go communist [which I accept would suit some] there is no solution as we don't have the allocated space to build the numbers of homes people want unless we build UP or build out...which most in York will object to. meme
  • Score: 8

2:15pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Blythespirit says...

CommonSense!! wrote:
Ah, so you're one of the professionally offended?

Do you think the current model of people living in social housing all their lives is sustainable? Or just?

I am very well educated thank you, and as such am able to choose, and pay for myself, to live in York. Had I not made that effort I would not be complaining that I couldn't afford to live where I wished to live, I would be doing something about it and making sure I could afford it.

As always on here, the blinkered left wing presents the daily mail argument whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that allowing the lazy, idle and workshy the opportunity of living off the hard work of others is unsustainable.
No, I'm not professionally offended - I work in housing and see all the pitfalls of the current system. I do think the current model of people living in social housing all their lives is sustainable - it was perfectly sustainable right up until Thatcher introduced 'right to buy', sold off large swathes of the available housing stock and refused the right to rebuild the houses that had moved into the private sector. In most of Europe people do rent all their lives. It's only in Britain that people have an obsession with owning their own home. Do you have any children? If so, you will see for yourself the problems facing the generation who have been priced out of buying and renting in their home city - even though they work here. More and more are living with parents and grandparents long after the age when said parents and grandparents had moved out and had families of their own. They have no chance of getting a mortgage, unless helped out by their parents, and no chance of getting reasonably priced rental accommodation because social housing only goes to those who are homeless and at risk. Come and spend a day at work with me and see how unfair the system really is.
[quote][p][bold]CommonSense!![/bold] wrote: Ah, so you're one of the professionally offended? Do you think the current model of people living in social housing all their lives is sustainable? Or just? I am very well educated thank you, and as such am able to choose, and pay for myself, to live in York. Had I not made that effort I would not be complaining that I couldn't afford to live where I wished to live, I would be doing something about it and making sure I could afford it. As always on here, the blinkered left wing presents the daily mail argument whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that allowing the lazy, idle and workshy the opportunity of living off the hard work of others is unsustainable.[/p][/quote]No, I'm not professionally offended - I work in housing and see all the pitfalls of the current system. I do think the current model of people living in social housing all their lives is sustainable - it was perfectly sustainable right up until Thatcher introduced 'right to buy', sold off large swathes of the available housing stock and refused the right to rebuild the houses that had moved into the private sector. In most of Europe people do rent all their lives. It's only in Britain that people have an obsession with owning their own home. Do you have any children? If so, you will see for yourself the problems facing the generation who have been priced out of buying and renting in their home city - even though they work here. More and more are living with parents and grandparents long after the age when said parents and grandparents had moved out and had families of their own. They have no chance of getting a mortgage, unless helped out by their parents, and no chance of getting reasonably priced rental accommodation because social housing only goes to those who are homeless and at risk. Come and spend a day at work with me and see how unfair the system really is. Blythespirit
  • Score: 9

2:42pm Wed 23 Jul 14

CommonSense!! says...

Why would I want to come and spend a day with you whilst you blame other people for the simple economics of supply and demand when I can otherwise be earning good money, money I use to live where I choose.

Why do you think people should spend their entire lives being supported by others? How in any way is that a reasonable concept?

"To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, —the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry, & the fruits acquired by it.'" - Thomas Jefferson.
Why would I want to come and spend a day with you whilst you blame other people for the simple economics of supply and demand when I can otherwise be earning good money, money I use to live where I choose. Why do you think people should spend their entire lives being supported by others? How in any way is that a reasonable concept? "To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, —the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry, & the fruits acquired by it.'" - Thomas Jefferson. CommonSense!!
  • Score: -9

3:01pm Wed 23 Jul 14

York2000 says...

CommonSense!! - Your are the funniest of the right wingers who've hijacked these comments thread. Everything you say is cringeworthy gold. An armchair Richard Littlejohn wannabe.
CommonSense!! - Your are the funniest of the right wingers who've hijacked these comments thread. Everything you say is cringeworthy gold. An armchair Richard Littlejohn wannabe. York2000
  • Score: 5

3:04pm Wed 23 Jul 14

CommonSense!! says...

My what are the funniest?
My what are the funniest? CommonSense!!
  • Score: -9

3:09pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Ichabod76 says...

York2000 wrote:
CommonSense!! - Your are the funniest of the right wingers who've hijacked these comments thread. Everything you say is cringeworthy gold. An armchair Richard Littlejohn wannabe.
*You're
[quote][p][bold]York2000[/bold] wrote: CommonSense!! - Your are the funniest of the right wingers who've hijacked these comments thread. Everything you say is cringeworthy gold. An armchair Richard Littlejohn wannabe.[/p][/quote]*You're Ichabod76
  • Score: 7

3:22pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Kevin Turvey says...

‘Blythespirit says... 2:15pm Wed 23 Jul 14
it was perfectly sustainable right up until Thatcher introduced 'right to buy'


The right to buy was 30 years ago, different times now, move with them.
30 years later is a very bad advice big mortgage paid off!

‘They have no chance of getting a mortgage, unless helped out by their parents’
I did not get any help from parents at all, firstly because my parents taught me how to stand up on my own two feet at an early age, best lesson ever and secondly they could not afford to even if they wanted to help.

That’s have the problem some people are expecting financial help, it does not teach you anything!



‘CommonSense!! says...
I would be doing something about it and making sure I could afford it.
As always on here, the blinkered left wing presents the daily mail argument whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that allowing the lazy, idle and workshy the opportunity of living off the hard work of others is unsustainable’

Spot on.
Except they will never understand it takes sheer hard work and sacrifice.

Case study:
Others think of me;
It’s alright for him, a house and two rental properties.

I see of me;
Doing a job I hate for 25 years because it pays well, only after struggling for years to climb the greasy pole.
Regularly doing extra qualifications and gaining new skills to aid promotion and continued employability to ensure the younger/cheaper options are not taking my position.
Working weekends on a regular basis.
Doing without fancy holidays, phones, new cars, nights out.
Managing my money so I am in charge of it and not banks, so no debt/credit card debt or loans.
Only buying things that are none essential when I actually have the money.

So all these efforts have put me in my position to be ahead of most of the game, with the intention of a long term benefit of being able to enjoy the fruits of my sacrifices and efforts.

To others this is nothing but the greedy actions of the privileged private landlord few, nothing further than the truth!

Others can bleat and expect things to come to you for no effort, for free, or for others to do for you, well just you go on waiting and see if they actualy turn up!
‘Blythespirit says... 2:15pm Wed 23 Jul 14 it was perfectly sustainable right up until Thatcher introduced 'right to buy' The right to buy was 30 years ago, different times now, move with them. 30 years later is a very bad advice big mortgage paid off! ‘They have no chance of getting a mortgage, unless helped out by their parents’ I did not get any help from parents at all, firstly because my parents taught me how to stand up on my own two feet at an early age, best lesson ever and secondly they could not afford to even if they wanted to help. That’s have the problem some people are expecting financial help, it does not teach you anything! ‘CommonSense!! says... I would be doing something about it and making sure I could afford it. As always on here, the blinkered left wing presents the daily mail argument whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that allowing the lazy, idle and workshy the opportunity of living off the hard work of others is unsustainable’ Spot on. Except they will never understand it takes sheer hard work and sacrifice. Case study: Others think of me; It’s alright for him, a house and two rental properties. I see of me; Doing a job I hate for 25 years because it pays well, only after struggling for years to climb the greasy pole. Regularly doing extra qualifications and gaining new skills to aid promotion and continued employability to ensure the younger/cheaper options are not taking my position. Working weekends on a regular basis. Doing without fancy holidays, phones, new cars, nights out. Managing my money so I am in charge of it and not banks, so no debt/credit card debt or loans. Only buying things that are none essential when I actually have the money. So all these efforts have put me in my position to be ahead of most of the game, with the intention of a long term benefit of being able to enjoy the fruits of my sacrifices and efforts. To others this is nothing but the greedy actions of the privileged private landlord few, nothing further than the truth! Others can bleat and expect things to come to you for no effort, for free, or for others to do for you, well just you go on waiting and see if they actualy turn up! Kevin Turvey
  • Score: -5

3:36pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Blythespirit says...

CommonSense!! wrote:
Why would I want to come and spend a day with you whilst you blame other people for the simple economics of supply and demand when I can otherwise be earning good money, money I use to live where I choose.

Why do you think people should spend their entire lives being supported by others? How in any way is that a reasonable concept?

"To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, —the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry, & the fruits acquired by it.'" - Thomas Jefferson.
Where on earth did you get the idea that I think people should spend their entire lives being supported by others? I think certain members of society should be supported by others - there are people with disabilities that are such they will never lead an independent life - but everyone who is able to help themselves should do, in my opinion. However, social housing should always be available to people who are working, but not earning sufficient wages to enable them to buy or rent in the private sector. It should not be automatically available to people who keep churning out kids, despite never having even supported themselves, or people who have trashed other property they have been provided with.
[quote][p][bold]CommonSense!![/bold] wrote: Why would I want to come and spend a day with you whilst you blame other people for the simple economics of supply and demand when I can otherwise be earning good money, money I use to live where I choose. Why do you think people should spend their entire lives being supported by others? How in any way is that a reasonable concept? "To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, —the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry, & the fruits acquired by it.'" - Thomas Jefferson.[/p][/quote]Where on earth did you get the idea that I think people should spend their entire lives being supported by others? I think certain members of society should be supported by others - there are people with disabilities that are such they will never lead an independent life - but everyone who is able to help themselves should do, in my opinion. However, social housing should always be available to people who are working, but not earning sufficient wages to enable them to buy or rent in the private sector. It should not be automatically available to people who keep churning out kids, despite never having even supported themselves, or people who have trashed other property they have been provided with. Blythespirit
  • Score: 11

3:44pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Blythespirit says...

Kevin Turvey wrote:
‘Blythespirit says... 2:15pm Wed 23 Jul 14
it was perfectly sustainable right up until Thatcher introduced 'right to buy'


The right to buy was 30 years ago, different times now, move with them.
30 years later is a very bad advice big mortgage paid off!

‘They have no chance of getting a mortgage, unless helped out by their parents’
I did not get any help from parents at all, firstly because my parents taught me how to stand up on my own two feet at an early age, best lesson ever and secondly they could not afford to even if they wanted to help.

That’s have the problem some people are expecting financial help, it does not teach you anything!



‘CommonSense!! says...
I would be doing something about it and making sure I could afford it.
As always on here, the blinkered left wing presents the daily mail argument whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that allowing the lazy, idle and workshy the opportunity of living off the hard work of others is unsustainable’

Spot on.
Except they will never understand it takes sheer hard work and sacrifice.

Case study:
Others think of me;
It’s alright for him, a house and two rental properties.

I see of me;
Doing a job I hate for 25 years because it pays well, only after struggling for years to climb the greasy pole.
Regularly doing extra qualifications and gaining new skills to aid promotion and continued employability to ensure the younger/cheaper options are not taking my position.
Working weekends on a regular basis.
Doing without fancy holidays, phones, new cars, nights out.
Managing my money so I am in charge of it and not banks, so no debt/credit card debt or loans.
Only buying things that are none essential when I actually have the money.

So all these efforts have put me in my position to be ahead of most of the game, with the intention of a long term benefit of being able to enjoy the fruits of my sacrifices and efforts.

To others this is nothing but the greedy actions of the privileged private landlord few, nothing further than the truth!

Others can bleat and expect things to come to you for no effort, for free, or for others to do for you, well just you go on waiting and see if they actualy turn up!
The right to buy still exists - housing stock has been sold off OVER the last thirty years. A long standing tenant can still buy their home from the local authority for a fraction of the market value. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if the local authorities built new homes to replace the ones that had been sold off... duh!
[quote][p][bold]Kevin Turvey[/bold] wrote: ‘Blythespirit says... 2:15pm Wed 23 Jul 14 it was perfectly sustainable right up until Thatcher introduced 'right to buy' The right to buy was 30 years ago, different times now, move with them. 30 years later is a very bad advice big mortgage paid off! ‘They have no chance of getting a mortgage, unless helped out by their parents’ I did not get any help from parents at all, firstly because my parents taught me how to stand up on my own two feet at an early age, best lesson ever and secondly they could not afford to even if they wanted to help. That’s have the problem some people are expecting financial help, it does not teach you anything! ‘CommonSense!! says... I would be doing something about it and making sure I could afford it. As always on here, the blinkered left wing presents the daily mail argument whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that allowing the lazy, idle and workshy the opportunity of living off the hard work of others is unsustainable’ Spot on. Except they will never understand it takes sheer hard work and sacrifice. Case study: Others think of me; It’s alright for him, a house and two rental properties. I see of me; Doing a job I hate for 25 years because it pays well, only after struggling for years to climb the greasy pole. Regularly doing extra qualifications and gaining new skills to aid promotion and continued employability to ensure the younger/cheaper options are not taking my position. Working weekends on a regular basis. Doing without fancy holidays, phones, new cars, nights out. Managing my money so I am in charge of it and not banks, so no debt/credit card debt or loans. Only buying things that are none essential when I actually have the money. So all these efforts have put me in my position to be ahead of most of the game, with the intention of a long term benefit of being able to enjoy the fruits of my sacrifices and efforts. To others this is nothing but the greedy actions of the privileged private landlord few, nothing further than the truth! Others can bleat and expect things to come to you for no effort, for free, or for others to do for you, well just you go on waiting and see if they actualy turn up![/p][/quote]The right to buy still exists - housing stock has been sold off OVER the last thirty years. A long standing tenant can still buy their home from the local authority for a fraction of the market value. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if the local authorities built new homes to replace the ones that had been sold off... duh! Blythespirit
  • Score: 9

3:52pm Wed 23 Jul 14

York2000 says...

CommonSense!! - I apologise for my earlier comment. You're entitled to your opinion. The Press encourages 'debate' and it should not get personal.
CommonSense!! - I apologise for my earlier comment. You're entitled to your opinion. The Press encourages 'debate' and it should not get personal. York2000
  • Score: 5

5:04pm Wed 23 Jul 14

CommonSense!! says...

Blythespirit wrote:
CommonSense!! wrote:
Why would I want to come and spend a day with you whilst you blame other people for the simple economics of supply and demand when I can otherwise be earning good money, money I use to live where I choose.

Why do you think people should spend their entire lives being supported by others? How in any way is that a reasonable concept?

"To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, —the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry, & the fruits acquired by it.'" - Thomas Jefferson.
Where on earth did you get the idea that I think people should spend their entire lives being supported by others? I think certain members of society should be supported by others - there are people with disabilities that are such they will never lead an independent life - but everyone who is able to help themselves should do, in my opinion. However, social housing should always be available to people who are working, but not earning sufficient wages to enable them to buy or rent in the private sector. It should not be automatically available to people who keep churning out kids, despite never having even supported themselves, or people who have trashed other property they have been provided with.
Disabilities, fair enough, it's luck of the draw.

If you simply fail to earn enough to support yourself then you need to either change your lifestyle, move somewhere you can afford, or work harder and earn more.
[quote][p][bold]Blythespirit[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CommonSense!![/bold] wrote: Why would I want to come and spend a day with you whilst you blame other people for the simple economics of supply and demand when I can otherwise be earning good money, money I use to live where I choose. Why do you think people should spend their entire lives being supported by others? How in any way is that a reasonable concept? "To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, —the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry, & the fruits acquired by it.'" - Thomas Jefferson.[/p][/quote]Where on earth did you get the idea that I think people should spend their entire lives being supported by others? I think certain members of society should be supported by others - there are people with disabilities that are such they will never lead an independent life - but everyone who is able to help themselves should do, in my opinion. However, social housing should always be available to people who are working, but not earning sufficient wages to enable them to buy or rent in the private sector. It should not be automatically available to people who keep churning out kids, despite never having even supported themselves, or people who have trashed other property they have been provided with.[/p][/quote]Disabilities, fair enough, it's luck of the draw. If you simply fail to earn enough to support yourself then you need to either change your lifestyle, move somewhere you can afford, or work harder and earn more. CommonSense!!
  • Score: -4

5:04pm Wed 23 Jul 14

CommonSense!! says...

York2000 wrote:
CommonSense!! - I apologise for my earlier comment. You're entitled to your opinion. The Press encourages 'debate' and it should not get personal.
Very gracious, and appreciated, thank you.
[quote][p][bold]York2000[/bold] wrote: CommonSense!! - I apologise for my earlier comment. You're entitled to your opinion. The Press encourages 'debate' and it should not get personal.[/p][/quote]Very gracious, and appreciated, thank you. CommonSense!!
  • Score: 0

8:40pm Wed 23 Jul 14

piaggio1 says...

And you can cut the right wing crap out straight away.and what the hell as the daily mail got to do wi this .????
And you can cut the right wing crap out straight away.and what the hell as the daily mail got to do wi this .???? piaggio1
  • Score: -3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree