Tour De France plans gear up for successful Grand Depart

York Press: Tour De France plans gear up for successful Grand Depart Tour De France plans gear up for successful Grand Depart

WITH only six months to go until the Tour De France comes to York, organisers say their plans are on time and budget.

And tourist bosses have revealed they are already “feeling the excitement and enthusiasm” about the Grand Depart event from visitors and tourism businesses across the city.

Helen Grant, Minister for Sport and Tourism, said plans for the Grand Depart were progressing well. She said: “Hosting the beginning of the biggest bike race in the world will bring a great tourism win for those areas and will further cement Britain’s love for the sport of cycling.

Sir Rodney Walker, chair of the organising body, TDF2014HUB Ltd, said: “A huge amount has been achieved since it was announced that England would host the world’s most prestigious cycle race in 2014. This is thanks to the hard work and collaborative approach of all the partners involved.

“We are on track to deliver a spectacular sporting event in six months that the country can be proud of. However, we are not complacent as there is still a long road ahead and many challenges.”

The 101st running of Le Tour will start in Leeds on July 5 with a 190km stage taking the riders to Harrogate. Stage 2 will start from York with the riders tackling a 200km stage with climbs including Holme Moss on the way to Sheffield.

It is estimated the Grand Depart will boost the economy by £100million and will bring an extra 180,000 visitors to York across the weekend of the race. Broadcast in more than 188 countries worldwide it will provide the city a chance to be seen on a global stage.

Kate McMullen, head of Visit York, said feedback indicated that hotel bookings were steady. “We’re receiving lots of inquiries from visitors who are coming into the Visitor Information Centre looking ahead to find out more about the Tour de France coming to York,” she said.

“Over the coming months, we’ll continue to work closely with our members and partners to ensure that the whole of the city is geared up to offer a fabulous welcome to the anticipated thousands of visitors in July.”

Meanwhile, the Tour de France Team Presentation, showcasing each team, is set to take centre stage at the new first direct arena in Leeds on Thursday July 3, two days before the Grand Départ takes place in Leeds city centre.

Gary Verity, chief executive of Welcome to Yorkshire, which led the successful bid to bring Le Tour to Yorkshire, said it would be massive for Yorkshire and globally.


Council finalising support for businesses and spectators

City of York Council is urging residents and businesses to take up the opportunity to be involved in the Tour de France.

Coun Sonja Crisp said: “With only six months to go until the world’s biggest annual sporting event comes to York we are busy getting the city ready. In particular, we’re planning further events for businesses in February and March to help them make the most of the opportunities and collaborations up to and during the event – such as a citywide discount scheme on the day to help turn event footfall into retail footfall.

"We’re currently working with partners to finalise plans for the city’s spectator hubs, the details of which will be announced soon and will make viewing the race that much more of an exciting experience.”

For more details, visit york.gov.uk/tourdefrance.

The council has also made a commitment to inspire more people in Yorkshire to cycle more often under the newly-established Cycle Yorkshire banner.

Coun Dave Merrett said: “The Cycle Yorkshire legacy will help us to fulfil our aims in York of increasing cycling by 20 per cent by 2016.

"This will reinforce our position as one of the best cities in the country to cycle and over the next year I hope that this incredible event will inspire even more people in York to cycle more often, whether this is to do the school run, to get to work, to keep fit or just for fun.”

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:14am Mon 6 Jan 14

Garrowby Turnoff says...

If the organisers need the event photographing I got a brand new Samsung WB150F WiFi Enabled 14.2 MP digital camera with 18 x Optical Zoom for Christmas. I could free up a couple of hours if necessary? Will they want colour?
If the organisers need the event photographing I got a brand new Samsung WB150F WiFi Enabled 14.2 MP digital camera with 18 x Optical Zoom for Christmas. I could free up a couple of hours if necessary? Will they want colour? Garrowby Turnoff

10:21am Mon 6 Jan 14

smudge2 says...

Garrowby Turnoff wrote:
If the organisers need the event photographing I got a brand new Samsung WB150F WiFi Enabled 14.2 MP digital camera with 18 x Optical Zoom for Christmas. I could free up a couple of hours if necessary? Will they want colour?
Yes you can have the job but only if you get to bed early instead of watching the cricket till the early hours off the morning ...........What did you get Mrs Turnoff for Christmas ??
[quote][p][bold]Garrowby Turnoff[/bold] wrote: If the organisers need the event photographing I got a brand new Samsung WB150F WiFi Enabled 14.2 MP digital camera with 18 x Optical Zoom for Christmas. I could free up a couple of hours if necessary? Will they want colour?[/p][/quote]Yes you can have the job but only if you get to bed early instead of watching the cricket till the early hours off the morning ...........What did you get Mrs Turnoff for Christmas ?? smudge2

10:29am Mon 6 Jan 14

Garrowby Turnoff says...

smudge2 wrote:
Garrowby Turnoff wrote:
If the organisers need the event photographing I got a brand new Samsung WB150F WiFi Enabled 14.2 MP digital camera with 18 x Optical Zoom for Christmas. I could free up a couple of hours if necessary? Will they want colour?
Yes you can have the job but only if you get to bed early instead of watching the cricket till the early hours off the morning ...........What did you get Mrs Turnoff for Christmas ??
Thanks for the job. BTW. Mrs Turnoff got a cuckoo clock.
[quote][p][bold]smudge2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Garrowby Turnoff[/bold] wrote: If the organisers need the event photographing I got a brand new Samsung WB150F WiFi Enabled 14.2 MP digital camera with 18 x Optical Zoom for Christmas. I could free up a couple of hours if necessary? Will they want colour?[/p][/quote]Yes you can have the job but only if you get to bed early instead of watching the cricket till the early hours off the morning ...........What did you get Mrs Turnoff for Christmas ??[/p][/quote]Thanks for the job. BTW. Mrs Turnoff got a cuckoo clock. Garrowby Turnoff

10:38am Mon 6 Jan 14

pedalling paul says...

I should have asked Santa for a new bike.......
I should have asked Santa for a new bike....... pedalling paul

11:50am Mon 6 Jan 14

piemagico says...

Good to see the plans advancing. TDF2014HUB looks more like my Windows password than a recognisable brand but it shouldn't hurt what will be a cracking event.
Good to see the plans advancing. TDF2014HUB looks more like my Windows password than a recognisable brand but it shouldn't hurt what will be a cracking event. piemagico

4:18pm Mon 6 Jan 14

Woody G Mellor says...

Coun Dave Merrett said: “The Cycle Yorkshire legacy will help us to fulfil our aims in York of increasing cycling by 20 per cent by 2016.

"This will reinforce our position as one of the best cities in the country to cycle and over the next year I hope that this incredible event will inspire even more people in York to cycle more often, whether this is to do the school run, to get to work, to keep fit or just for fun.”

Why on earth would the TDF in York encourage people to use bikes more often? Oh yes, I can see it now. "C'mon everyone, lets all rush out, buy bikes and go cycling because the Tour de France is passing through York".
What a total Pillock of an airhead you are Merrett.
Coun Dave Merrett said: “The Cycle Yorkshire legacy will help us to fulfil our aims in York of increasing cycling by 20 per cent by 2016. "This will reinforce our position as one of the best cities in the country to cycle and over the next year I hope that this incredible event will inspire even more people in York to cycle more often, whether this is to do the school run, to get to work, to keep fit or just for fun.” Why on earth would the TDF in York encourage people to use bikes more often? Oh yes, I can see it now. "C'mon everyone, lets all rush out, buy bikes and go cycling because the Tour de France is passing through York". What a total Pillock of an airhead you are Merrett. Woody G Mellor

5:10pm Mon 6 Jan 14

Sillybillies says...

Woody G Mellor wrote:
Coun Dave Merrett said: “The Cycle Yorkshire legacy will help us to fulfil our aims in York of increasing cycling by 20 per cent by 2016.

"This will reinforce our position as one of the best cities in the country to cycle and over the next year I hope that this incredible event will inspire even more people in York to cycle more often, whether this is to do the school run, to get to work, to keep fit or just for fun.”

Why on earth would the TDF in York encourage people to use bikes more often? Oh yes, I can see it now. "C'mon everyone, lets all rush out, buy bikes and go cycling because the Tour de France is passing through York".
What a total Pillock of an airhead you are Merrett.
The truth of the matter is that despite the hundreds of thousands of pounds that have been thrown at cycling, and the congestion caused by road narrowing cycle lanes, York is no more of a cycling city than anywhere else. It may have been different once, but not for decades. One can travel around York at any time of the day and night, and all year round, and see very few cyclists. A wholly independent road usage survey would prove it.
[quote][p][bold]Woody G Mellor[/bold] wrote: Coun Dave Merrett said: “The Cycle Yorkshire legacy will help us to fulfil our aims in York of increasing cycling by 20 per cent by 2016. "This will reinforce our position as one of the best cities in the country to cycle and over the next year I hope that this incredible event will inspire even more people in York to cycle more often, whether this is to do the school run, to get to work, to keep fit or just for fun.” Why on earth would the TDF in York encourage people to use bikes more often? Oh yes, I can see it now. "C'mon everyone, lets all rush out, buy bikes and go cycling because the Tour de France is passing through York". What a total Pillock of an airhead you are Merrett.[/p][/quote]The truth of the matter is that despite the hundreds of thousands of pounds that have been thrown at cycling, and the congestion caused by road narrowing cycle lanes, York is no more of a cycling city than anywhere else. It may have been different once, but not for decades. One can travel around York at any time of the day and night, and all year round, and see very few cyclists. A wholly independent road usage survey would prove it. Sillybillies

6:43pm Mon 6 Jan 14

imassey says...

Sillybillies wrote:
Woody G Mellor wrote:
Coun Dave Merrett said: “The Cycle Yorkshire legacy will help us to fulfil our aims in York of increasing cycling by 20 per cent by 2016.

"This will reinforce our position as one of the best cities in the country to cycle and over the next year I hope that this incredible event will inspire even more people in York to cycle more often, whether this is to do the school run, to get to work, to keep fit or just for fun.”

Why on earth would the TDF in York encourage people to use bikes more often? Oh yes, I can see it now. "C'mon everyone, lets all rush out, buy bikes and go cycling because the Tour de France is passing through York".
What a total Pillock of an airhead you are Merrett.
The truth of the matter is that despite the hundreds of thousands of pounds that have been thrown at cycling, and the congestion caused by road narrowing cycle lanes, York is no more of a cycling city than anywhere else. It may have been different once, but not for decades. One can travel around York at any time of the day and night, and all year round, and see very few cyclists. A wholly independent road usage survey would prove it.
Could you explain how "road narrowing cycle lanes" cause congestion, please. I thought congestion was caused by the number of motor vehicles on the road, not how narrow the roads are. I can't think of any roads in York that have been reduced from two lanes by a cycle lane.
[quote][p][bold]Sillybillies[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woody G Mellor[/bold] wrote: Coun Dave Merrett said: “The Cycle Yorkshire legacy will help us to fulfil our aims in York of increasing cycling by 20 per cent by 2016. "This will reinforce our position as one of the best cities in the country to cycle and over the next year I hope that this incredible event will inspire even more people in York to cycle more often, whether this is to do the school run, to get to work, to keep fit or just for fun.” Why on earth would the TDF in York encourage people to use bikes more often? Oh yes, I can see it now. "C'mon everyone, lets all rush out, buy bikes and go cycling because the Tour de France is passing through York". What a total Pillock of an airhead you are Merrett.[/p][/quote]The truth of the matter is that despite the hundreds of thousands of pounds that have been thrown at cycling, and the congestion caused by road narrowing cycle lanes, York is no more of a cycling city than anywhere else. It may have been different once, but not for decades. One can travel around York at any time of the day and night, and all year round, and see very few cyclists. A wholly independent road usage survey would prove it.[/p][/quote]Could you explain how "road narrowing cycle lanes" cause congestion, please. I thought congestion was caused by the number of motor vehicles on the road, not how narrow the roads are. I can't think of any roads in York that have been reduced from two lanes by a cycle lane. imassey

8:04pm Mon 6 Jan 14

spottycow says...

HOPE OUR POTHOLES ON THE EAST COAST GET FILLED IN BEFORE N Y C C SPENDS ALL OUR TAXES ON THIS C - -A P CYCLE TOUR .
HOPE OUR POTHOLES ON THE EAST COAST GET FILLED IN BEFORE N Y C C SPENDS ALL OUR TAXES ON THIS C - -A P CYCLE TOUR . spottycow

8:55am Tue 7 Jan 14

AGuyFromStrensall says...

imassey wrote:
Sillybillies wrote:
Woody G Mellor wrote:
Coun Dave Merrett said: “The Cycle Yorkshire legacy will help us to fulfil our aims in York of increasing cycling by 20 per cent by 2016.

"This will reinforce our position as one of the best cities in the country to cycle and over the next year I hope that this incredible event will inspire even more people in York to cycle more often, whether this is to do the school run, to get to work, to keep fit or just for fun.”

Why on earth would the TDF in York encourage people to use bikes more often? Oh yes, I can see it now. "C'mon everyone, lets all rush out, buy bikes and go cycling because the Tour de France is passing through York".
What a total Pillock of an airhead you are Merrett.
The truth of the matter is that despite the hundreds of thousands of pounds that have been thrown at cycling, and the congestion caused by road narrowing cycle lanes, York is no more of a cycling city than anywhere else. It may have been different once, but not for decades. One can travel around York at any time of the day and night, and all year round, and see very few cyclists. A wholly independent road usage survey would prove it.
Could you explain how "road narrowing cycle lanes" cause congestion, please. I thought congestion was caused by the number of motor vehicles on the road, not how narrow the roads are. I can't think of any roads in York that have been reduced from two lanes by a cycle lane.
Wow, way to ignore the main thrust of a post and focus on a throway line, that takes a special type of effort...
[quote][p][bold]imassey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sillybillies[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woody G Mellor[/bold] wrote: Coun Dave Merrett said: “The Cycle Yorkshire legacy will help us to fulfil our aims in York of increasing cycling by 20 per cent by 2016. "This will reinforce our position as one of the best cities in the country to cycle and over the next year I hope that this incredible event will inspire even more people in York to cycle more often, whether this is to do the school run, to get to work, to keep fit or just for fun.” Why on earth would the TDF in York encourage people to use bikes more often? Oh yes, I can see it now. "C'mon everyone, lets all rush out, buy bikes and go cycling because the Tour de France is passing through York". What a total Pillock of an airhead you are Merrett.[/p][/quote]The truth of the matter is that despite the hundreds of thousands of pounds that have been thrown at cycling, and the congestion caused by road narrowing cycle lanes, York is no more of a cycling city than anywhere else. It may have been different once, but not for decades. One can travel around York at any time of the day and night, and all year round, and see very few cyclists. A wholly independent road usage survey would prove it.[/p][/quote]Could you explain how "road narrowing cycle lanes" cause congestion, please. I thought congestion was caused by the number of motor vehicles on the road, not how narrow the roads are. I can't think of any roads in York that have been reduced from two lanes by a cycle lane.[/p][/quote]Wow, way to ignore the main thrust of a post and focus on a throway line, that takes a special type of effort... AGuyFromStrensall

10:36pm Tue 7 Jan 14

MouseHouse says...

Biggest thing to have happened to York in decades, correction hundreds of years.. Wider appeal than the the papal visit in '82, far more international coverage than the olympic torch, and knocks into a tin hat any visit by the Windsor family. Citys trips to Wembley are non-starters in comparison.

You don't have to like it, plenty of things I don't like about York - churches for example - but I accept they are there and others enjoy them.

The Tour de France is huge, it's coming to York and it will be fantastic.
Biggest thing to have happened to York in decades, correction hundreds of years.. Wider appeal than the the papal visit in '82, far more international coverage than the olympic torch, and knocks into a tin hat any visit by the Windsor family. Citys trips to Wembley are non-starters in comparison. You don't have to like it, plenty of things I don't like about York - churches for example - but I accept they are there and others enjoy them. The Tour de France is huge, it's coming to York and it will be fantastic. MouseHouse

3:30am Wed 8 Jan 14

Magicman! says...

Why does the TDF start in Leeds?? this is YORK-shire, not LEEDS-shire, YORK is the capital, and so should be the flagship starting point.
Why does the TDF start in Leeds?? this is YORK-shire, not LEEDS-shire, YORK is the capital, and so should be the flagship starting point. Magicman!

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree