Huddersfield coach Jon Sharp played down talk about a backlash before York City Knights' visit to the Galpharm Stadium, but it was always on the cards and so it proved.

The Giants were without a win so far in 2007 and sit adrift at the foot of Super League.

However, they had been running teams close all term and it was only a matter of time before they got that first victory and, against a part-time side two divisions below them, it was always more than likely to happen yesterday.

The only real question would be by how much, and the 74-4 scoreline was harsh on a Knights team which played better than that margin suggests - something which did not go unnoticed by the vocal and supportive travelling army.

Sharp took no chances with his line-up, fielding virtually a full-strength 17, apart from injured captain Chris Thorman. His team also took no chances, as highlighted by the fact they went for a two-pointer, through Brad Drew, rather than run a penalty with 12 minutes gone. The Giants were already 6-0 up, too, following a John Skandalis try and Drew's first of ten conversions.

The Knights, on the other hand, were under-strength, even though props Tabua Cakacaka and Ryan MacDonald were back fit.

Captain Dan Potter, Rob Spicer - possibly the first two names on the teamsheet - and in-form Ian Brown and Alex Godfrey all joined the injured list.

Additionally, loanee Anthony Thackeray, who the Knights would have turned to for creative inspiration, was also missing having been recalled by Hull due to their own injury problems.

Ex-York Acorn amateur Andy Gargan was therefore back at scrum-half for the toughest test of his career. He went steadily enough and notably set up York's only try with a super pass finding Chris Spurr, whose turbo boost took him past the full-back for a brilliant second-half score.

At 8-0 up, the Giants began to turn the screw, aided by some harsh refereeing.

York's defence was far stronger than last week, but it was breached again as good offloads saw Steve Snitch cross. Then a brilliant swatted pass by Chris Nero saw Paul Reilly score.

The Knights did force a drop-out, but Huddersfield always threatened and upped the lead before half-time, following a questionable offside penalty against Lee Mapals, through Snitch and winger Martin Aspinwall.

The 30-0 interval scoreline was harsh on York, who worked hard but were often on the rack. Not many tackles were missed but, with two or three men needed, gaps appeared in the line and all Super League sides are fast enough around the ruck and in open play to exploit them.

The Knights also suffered in the interchanges as John Smith went off with a head wound as soon as he went on. This meant the ever-consistent Jonny Liddell, this time at loose-forward, but playing almost like a second stand-off, could not have a break.

Liddell was actually in the Hunslet team that knocked Huddersfield out in 2003 in one the biggest shocks of modern times, but this Giants team are a different set, and there was never a chance of him making it a personal double.

Quick hands saw Jamahl Lolesi extend the Giants' lead five minutes after half-time and, although the second-rower was then carried off after a challenge by bruiser MacDonald caused him to fall awkwardly, a progression of tries followed as gaps appeared in a shattered York team which had been starved of any possession and which therefore went for long periods toiling away in defence.

Reilly, Paul, Hudson, Snitch, with his hat-trick, Shane Elford (2) and Nero all touched down in a game played almost entirely in the York half, broken only by Spurr's excellent breakaway try.

Match facts

Challenge Cup Round 4Sunday, April 1, 2007 at Galpharm StadiumHuddersfield: Paul, Aspinwall, Elford, Nero, Reilly, Brown, Drew, Mason, Hudson, Skandalis, Snitch, Lolesi, Raleigh. Subs (all used): Crabtree, Wild, Jones, Griffin.

Tries: Skabdalis 4; Snitch 20, 35, 62; Reilly 23, 51; Aspinwall 38; Lollesi 45; Paul 55; Hudson 57; Elford 71, 74; Nero 78. Conversions: Drew 4, 20, 35, 38, 51, 55, 57, 62, 71, 74. Penalties:Drew 12. Drop goals: None.

Sin-binned: None. Sent off: None.

Knights: Rayner 7, Mapals 7, C Spurr 8, Esders 8, Lingard 7, Rhodes 7, Gargan 6, Cakacaka 7, Wray 6, Sullivan 6, Buckley 7, Priestley 7, Liddell 7. Subs (all used): Elston 8, Smith 6, MacDonald 7, Williams 7.

Try: Spurr 67. Conversions: none Penalties: None. Drop goals: None.

Sin-binned: None. Sent off: None.

Man of the match: Ryan Esders - The young ex-amateur back rower, who filled in at centre, worked like a Trojan in defence, never missing a tackle and at times being an extra body in the back row.

Referee: Ben Thaler (Wakefield). Rating: It was an easy game to ref, but he hardly helped York with some harsh decisions.

Penalty count: 8-3

HT: 30-0Gamebreaker: Probably the hosts second try.

Moment of the match: Obviously Chris Spurr's try. Andy Gargan's flat pass created the gap and Spurr flew home from 45 yards, again showing the extra gear that marked his magical try against Tolouse in the previous round.

Attendance: 2,137

Weather: Bright, fresh.

Match rating: Forget the scoreline, York played, and supported, with pride.