YORK City Knights have been kept waiting to hear whether new signing Garry Green has been given permission to play in Championship One this coming season.

The club were hoping to find out from the Rugby Football League yesterday if the Australian prop had passed the criteria needed to apply for a new visa which makes him eligible to play in British rugby league.

However, no news has yet been forthcoming, meaning they will now probably have to wait until Monday to discover if the former Batley player can officially join the 2009 squad.

If his application is successful, the club will then apply to sponsor the player – yet more red tape needed to make him eligible – after which he will return to Australia and return with a new visa, hopefully within two months.

Of further concern to the Knights was the fact key new signing Wayne McHugh was left out of the team for last night’s 20-14 friendly win at Hunslet Hawks.

The 28-year-old former Featherstone, Dewsbury and Rochdale three-quarter, a prolific try-scorer for his previous clubs, had been expected to have his first run-out for York at the John Charles Stadium, but has continued struggles with work commitments.

McHugh would have been the sole old stager in the line-up for last night’s game, but instead the Knights fielded a team made up almost entirely of young or inexperienced players, with Steve Grundy, who turned 23 last month, and Tom Hodgson, 20, being the only regular first-teamers from last season in the 20-man squad.

Knights director of rugby James Ratcliffe said of Green: “We remain confident he will pass the criteria needed but we haven’t heard anything yet.”

The criteria includes playing a certain number of elite matches down under, proving they can enhance the British game, and/or having gainful employment outside of rugby.

Green does not pass the first ruling, but has his own business in England and is settled with a girlfriend.

However, another Aussie, Brendan Rawlins, of Keighey, was expected to pass the RFL criteria having played for the Cougars for three years as well as work in their community development department, but he has been turned down.

Ratcliffe added: “They’re judging each case individually and we’re hoping to have him with us by the end of March.”

The Knights have also been left sweating on the fitness of Kris Peacock following last night’s game.

The former Hull youngster limped off after only nine minutes with what was thought to be a twisted ankle.

Trialist Lee Waterman also picked up a knock but was okay to return to the fray, and Ratcliffe was happy with his showing.

“A lot of lads have put their hands up to play against Castleford or Hull KR next weekend,” said Ratcliffe.

“Lee played well. He’ll come training with us this week with a view to playing some part next week.

“I thought (hooker) Chris Williams went well and (second-row) Ollie Wilcox-Harrison did as well. Danny Grimshaw had a really good first half, especially with his kicking game.”

He added: “We were happy with the first half. The players did what we asked, there was a good completion rate and we were nice and direct, and that’s why we were (20-6) up.

“In the second half we improved our defensive work but our possession went down as we didn’t respect the ball, which put us under a bit of pressure, but we got the win.”