1895 Championship: York City Knights 30 Newcastle Thunder 16

Knights: Marsh 9, Brown 6, Bass 6, Vaivai 9, Oakes 7, Harris 7, Robinson 7, Teanby 8, Jubb 7, Stock 7, Jordan-Roberts 7, Kelly 7, Spears 7. Subs (all used): Brining 8, Blagbrough 8, Porter 8, Dupree 8.

Tries: Oakes 15; Brining 34; Vaivai 40; Marsh 45; Stock 74.

Conversions: Robinson 34, 40, 45, 74 (4/5).

Penalty: Robinson 55 (1/1).

Sent off: none.

Sin-binned: none.

Newcastle: Young, Clegg, Craig, Brown, Taulapapa, Coates, Lewis, Edwards, Carlile, Doyle-Manga, Fitzsimmons, Clarke, Simons. Subs (all used): McAvoy, Ollett, Agoro, Blanke.

Tries: Simons 12; Fitzsimmons 30; Young 77.

Conversions: Lewis 30, 77 (2/2); (Coates 0/1).

Penalties: none.

Sent off: none.

Sin-binned: none.

Man of the match: Junior Vaivai - made two and scored one in another display of explosive creativity, this time on his home debut. Knights fans already have a couple of chants for their on-loan favourite. Matty Marsh excelled at full-back too.

Referee: Mick Bennett (Sheffield) – missed a few indiscretions and allowed too much holding down. Didn't endear himself to home fans when penalising the Knights twice in quick succession upon winning the ball on their own line and counter-attacking, Liam Harris having a try ruled out after a 100-metre sprint.

Penalty count: 9-7

Half-time: 16-10

Weather: bit cloudy, bit muggy

Attendance: 797

Moment of the match: Junior Vaivai, for the second time in the first half, created a cracking equalising try, on this occasion breaking the line and feeding the onrushing Matty Marsh, who in turn gave a scoring pass to the supporting Kriss Brining. Marcus Stock’s footwork for his second-half solo try was pretty neat too.

Gaffe of the match: Kevin Brown delighted then frustrated in equal measure midway through the first half. Some brilliant footwork and pace somehow got him through the defensive line in centre-field – only he then got tackled rather than give a straightforward scoring pass to the supporting Matty Marsh.

Gamebreaker: York never really looked like losing, especially after countering Newcastle’s two first-half tries with immediate equalisers, and when Connor Robinson’s penalty put them three scores ahead at 24-10 in the third quarter, any comeback from the League One side would have had to be pretty special.

Match rating: this was not quite a straightforward win as League One Newcastle had their moments, not least in twice taking the lead, but the Knights always seemed to have another gear when they needed it and James Ford’s men duly went into the hat for the quarter-final draw.