Betfred Championship: York City Knights 17 Widnes Vikings 10

Knights: Marsh 9, Mazive 8, Rawsthorne 7, Salter 9, Bass 8, Robinson 9, Jubb 8, Horne 9, Petersen 8, Teanby 7, Scott 8, Stock 7, Spears 8. Subs (all used): Baldwinson 7, Blagbrough 9, Brining 8, Hey 8.

Tries: Bass 58; Rawsthorne 60; Robinson 73.

Conversions: Robinson 60 (1/3).

Penalties: Robinson 80 (1/2).

Drop goal: Robinson 71.

Sent off: none.

Sin-binned: none.

Widnes: Owens, Ince, Hatton, Brand, Freeman, Roby, Lyons, E Chapelhow, Johnstone, Cahill, Wilde, Walker, Leuliau. Subs (all used): J Chapelhow, Speakman, Walsh, Davies.

Tries: Wilde 9; Ince 47.

Conversions: Owens 9 (1/2).

Penalties: none.

Sent off: none.

Sin-binned: none.

Man of the match: Matty Marsh – was the standout player for York in the first hour, most of their good things in that period coming via the full-back. He continued that classy form after switching to stand-off for the final quarter during which Jack Blagbrough and Connor Robinson came up with big moments as the Knights turned defeat into victory.

Referee: Greg Dolan (Dewsbury) – Not great. Rucks were painfully slow, he missed a few things and there were a couple of bizarre calls that infuriated home fans, despite a penalty count in their favour. Irritatingly he also stopped the play with a buoyant York on a speedy counter attack and Widnes out of shape, due to a Vikings “injury” 15 yards behind the play. A third quickfire York try had looked on.

Penalty count: 10-4

Half-time: 0-6

Weather: sunny and hot

Attendance: 2,229

Moment of the match: it had to be Connor Robinson’s try that put the Knights 15-10 up with the clock ticking down. He shaped to grubber kick towards the corner but instead skipped past his man, then another, then darted to the line. His team had trailed 10-0 heading towards the hour mark.

Gaffe of the match: York’s goal-line defence for Widnes’ first try, scored by Sam Wilde from close range, wasn’t great.

Gamebreaker: Widnes were still only one scored behind after Connor Robinson failed to convert his own try with seven minutes left. So it was only really the final hooter – and Robinson goaling the penalty after it had sounded – that sealed the victory.

Match rating: this game looked to be fading away with York 10-0 down heading towards the hour mark and not creating much. But then it set alight, and then it erupted. Two quickfire tries levelled the scores, then Connor Robinson won it with a brilliant drop goal and even better try, capping things off with a penalty after the hooter.