YORK City Knights’ pre-season friendly at Hull Kingston Rovers was marred by injury to new half-back Brad Delaney - but it was not as serious as initially feared.

The match was for Ben Cockayne’s testimonial, the 34-year-old taking the armband on his Knights bow following his switch from host club KR.

And to that end it was fitting he scored the final points of the day, adding the conversion to the Knights’ only try of the afternoon in a 28-6 Robins win.

But most of the concern afterwards was about Delaney’s well-being, after he was carried off early in the second half, strapped up in a stretcher, following a 10-minute stoppage while he was treated on the pitch.

It became even more worrying as a tannoy announcement asked for his parents to go immediately to the changing rooms.

This was the Pakistan international’s second outing for York since his switch from Coventry Bears, but while it was cut short, it was thought he had only suffered concussion which will be monitored in the coming weeks.

That Rovers won was no surprise given their strong starting line-up but there were positives for York coach James Ford – good shape in defence and excellent match practice, plus a decent scoreline against Super League opposition.

Hull KR, nevertheless, were on top from the off and opened the scoring on six minutes.

James Greenwood appeared to be held up on the try-line but somehow got the offload out and Rovers, with quick hands led by Danny McGuire, had men over on the right, Liam Salter scoring.

York had an attacking set on the back of a penalty and looked to keep the hosts pinned in their own territory, only for McGuire – Rovers’ high-profile recruit from Leeds – to get them out with a 40-20.

The Knights still seemed to be holding their own only to concede a sloppy second try after a penalty just before the quarter mark.

Rovers were too cute and too strong as Tommy Lee fed prop Robbie Mulhern to get over by the sticks, Ryan Shaw booting his first of three conversions.

They had another opportunity after building pressure following a risky offload by Connor Robinson which wasted good field position in the other half. But winger Judah Mazive stepped inside in timely fashion to pick off a cut-out pass which otherwise would have created an overlap.

York’s skills let them down again following their own scrum on half-way, though, when they again gave the ball away instead of having a set in Rovers’ half.

And they were made to pay as big Mose Masoe blasted through.

The Knights, as expected, struggled when Rovers sped things up, won contacts and got quick play-the-balls.

But it was from little luck under a kick that they conceded the next try on 32 minutes, Brad Hey fumbling the catch on his own line, Danny Addy on hand to score.

Rovers were handed another chance when Mazive spilled a high kick towards his own line – referee Nick Bennett harshly deeming the ball had gone forward.

However, Jordan Walne fumbled on the whitewash under pressure from Graeme Horne and Joe Porter.

York enjoyed their best attack of the first half in the closing stages. The ball was spread left where Mazive grubber-kicked it goalwards only to be taken out.

Another penalty followed, but Delaney’s dangerous kick came to nothing.

Rovers boss Tim Sheens was always likely to change his team for much of the second half, having named 14 players on the bench, and, facing a plethora of academy youngsters, York could have fancied their chances of cutting the 22-0 interval deficit come full-time.

The fact the second half ended even was still probably a positive.

The Knights were handed an immediate chance even before all the alterations, as Mulhern fumbled straight from the kick off.

But their ball-work was again lacking a cutting edge, Cockayne erring.

They stayed at the right end, though, by tackling winger Shaw into touch as Rovers tried to break out, with sub hooker Will Jubb going close against his former club from dummy-half.

However, as they attacked again Delaney was knocked out in an unfortunate collision. Trialist Liam Jackson was his replacement.

Rovers went closest to scoring next from a smart kick before York got into the game again.

The visitors suffered another injury blow midway through the half as prop Chris Siddons hobbled off, but, as Rovers began to make their wholesale changes, Ford’s men appeared to get on top.

However, a super counter-attack saw the hosts increase their lead, Addy finishing it off for his second try of the day, with the Robins continuing to look dangerous on breakaways.

Chris Atkin added the extras and then so nearly upped the lead straight from the restart as Addy sprinted clean away and sent the replacement half-back streaking goalwards, only for Robinson to get back and pull off a wonderful try-saving tackle in the corner.

Similar happened minutes later as Rovers picked off a pass and counter-attacked again up the left flank. This time, Hey sped across from the far side to tackle young winger Will Oakes as a try looked afoot. Hey also won the ball back at the play-the-ball.

The Knights had all the penalties in the second period but their failure to break down Rovers’ rearguard until the 78th minute will be a concern until Ford’s men play again away to Featherstone in two weeks’ time.

The try finally came through Harry Carter’s sharp work from dummy-half after the hooker had himself won a penalty for a high tackle.

The biggest cheer of the day was reserved for Cockayne’s conversion.

Hull KR: Quinlan, Shaw, Salter, Minns, Moss, Marsh, McGuire, Mulhern, Lee, Masoe, Blair, Greenwood, Clarkson. Subs: Addy, Atkin, Oakes, Walne, Cator, Clavering, Franck, Njalout, Butler, Harrison, Bardle, Wallis, T Jubb, Rooks.

Tries: Salter 6; Mulhern 19; Masoe 28; Addy 32, 63.

Conversions: Shaw 19, 28, 32; Atkin 63.

Knights: Cockayne, Mazive, Hey, Batchelor, Saxton, C Robinson, Delaney, A Robinson, Ellis, Horne, Scott, Kelly, Spears. Subs: Chilton, Jackson, Carter, W Jubb, Porter, Siddons, Rory Dixon, Hawksworth.

Try: Carter 78.

Conversion: Cockayne 78.