FORMER York Rugby League star Steve Quinn, who was most famous for kicking the goal that won Featherstone Rovers the Challenge Cup at Wembley in 1983, has passed away.

Quinn, who lived off Stockton Lane in York and formerly worked for York Motor Factors in Layerthorpe, began his pro rugby career at Clarence Street, having started out with Heworth ARLC.

A centre, he played 114 times for his hometown club between 1970 and 1975. He scored 19 tries in that time but was best known for his kicking, notching 357 goals.

He then became a legend at Featherstone - playing for 13 years at Post Office Road and becoming Rovers' all-time record goal-scorer with 1,210 and record points-scorer with 2,654 before hanging up his boots in 1988.

That tally of goals included four - among them a match-winning late penalty - in the famous shock 14-12 victory over a star-studded Hull in the 1983 Cup final.

He also scored in the Yorkshire Cup finals of 1976 and 1977.

Quinn later coached at New Earswick All Blacks ARLC, while in the last 20 years he has been a regular at Woodhouse Grange Cricket Club, where his son, Tom, is a leading bowler.

York RL historian and Rugby Football League match official Stuart Evans had the "honour" of refereeing Quinn's testimonial match at Post Office Road between a Steve Quinn XIII and a Featherstone Past Players team.

"He was a really nice lad, always a gent," said Evans.

"I had the privilege when I was a Grade 2 referee of being asked by Steve to officiate his testimonial match. The likes of Allan Agar played in that game and lots of other fine players.

"He even asked how much (money) I wanted for doing it, but I said, 'I don't want anything for it - it's an honour'. That's what Steve Quinn was like.

"He was a very, very good player too, and an excellent goalkicker - one of the very best goalkickers.

"I remember in the days of the John Player Trophy they had a Players No 6 kicking competition - six kicks at goal, ten yards from touch either side and then from in front of the posts. Steve was one of a few who kicked the lot.

"He also kicked that famous goal against Hull in the 1983 Cup final, of course."

Featherstone and York messageboards have already received tributes.

Evans added: "It's a shock - it will be a shock to all the lads he played with.

"I always had a lot of respect for Steve - it's more sad news."

Phil Gilbank, a spokesman for Woodhouse Grange CC, said: "Apart from being a rugby league legend he was a good bloke. He has hardly missed a game in the past 20 years watching Woodhouse Grange where his son is a leading player."