FORMER Hartlepool striker Jack Wilkinson scored York City's goal in last night's 2-1 friendly defeat at Gainsborough Trinity.

Lively second-half substitute Wilkinson, playing as a trialist, headed in a Mark Convery corner at the far post to draw the Minstermen level on 63 minutes.

Ex-City striker Ryan Mallon had earlier given the home side a 49thminute lead, sweeping the ball into the bottom corner from 12 yards following a quickly-taken free kick.

Former Doncaster winger Matty Caudwell's deft lob on 83 minutes secured victory for Conference North outfit Gainsborough, who are already four matches into a pre-season programme that has also included a 3-1 victory over Lincoln City.

Wilkinson, 20, scored two goals in three starts for Hartlepool and netted on his league debut at the age of 18 during a 2-1 League One victory over Rushden and Diamonds but the 5ft 8in striker failed to feature in their first team last season.

City also used goalkeepers Tommy Evans and Jim Jeffries, centre-back Simon Weaver, midfielder Tom English and striker Andy Appleby as trialists in last night's Northolme clash.

Former Scunthorpe United stopper Evans started the match while the other five players entered the action in the second half.

Weaver, 28, played 22 games for Scarborough last season, having started his career as a Sheffield Wednesday trainee. The 6ft 1in defender has also played for Kidderminster, Macclesfield and Lincoln in the past.

English, 22, spent last season with Queen of the South alongside City new signing Steve Bowey, who impressed with an energetic performance last night.

Striker Appleby derives from the same Hartlepool youth side as Wilkinson and has also scored two goals for their first team despite never starting a league game.

Last night's game kicked off 45 minutes late because of a malfunctioning bridge on the main road into Gainsborough which forced fans to make an hour-long diversion to reach the ground.

Convery headed against a post early on for the visitors, who started with a narrow four-man midfield when the match finally kicked off at 8.15pm.

Mallon was also thwarted by an alert charge off his goal-line by Evans before both managers made understandable protests after rash challenges by Nicky Ellis on Clayton Donaldson and Nathan Peat on Charlie Trout.

City then fell behind to old boy Mallon early in the second half but deserved their equaliser after upping the tempo, following a switch to 4-3-3.

Caudwell, however, beat substitue goalkeeper Jeffries to seal a surprise victory after the referee had played advantage following Weaver's late touchline challenge on winger Martin Drewary.