YORK City are still waiting for their first win of the new campaign after a disappointing 0-0 home draw against Rushden & Diamonds.

The Minstermen only managed two on-target goal attempts in a shot-shy Bootham Crescent display although Michael Rankine’s first-half effort should have been allowed to stand by referee Billy Khatib.

Only a terrific save by Michael Ingham and a glaring late miss by Cliff Akurang, however, prevented Rushden leaving North Yorkshire with maximum points.

Midfielder Levi Mackin went close to claiming his first senior goal for City after just two minutes when his 25-yard drive narrowly cleared the visitors’ crossbar.

Rushden, though, were the busier team throughout the first period and were afforded far too much time on the ball by the Minstermen.

On 11 minutes, as the visitors committed several players forward, Max Porter swept the ball into Michael Ingham’s bottom right-hand corner but his effort was disallowed because former City striker Craig Farrell had handled in the build-up.

Lee Tomlin also drove wide from the edge of the box after the home side repeatedly failed to clear their lines.

City were denied an opening goal on 24 minutes, however, after a poor piece of refereeing.

Curtis Osano wrestled Neil Barrett to the ground on the edge of the Rushden box following Alex Lawless’ forward pass.

With the ball clearly breaking to Michael Rankine, though, Khatib only needed to apply the advantage rule.

He signalled a foul, however, just as Rankine fired a terrific shot into a helpless Dale Roberts’ bottom right-hand corner.

City were rightly aggrieved and Richard Brodie’s scuffed free-kick failed to trouble Roberts. At the other end, Ingham beat out a Tomlin shot at his near post after the Rushden winger had nutmegged City left-back James Meredith.

The Minstermen then went into the break having failed to muster a single shot on target, with Lawless and Andy Ferrell failing to make inroads down the flanks and strikers Brodie and Rankine fending off scraps.

Right-back Ben Purkiss provided greater attacking width at the start of the second period and Brodie forced Roberts into his first meaningful save on the night with a curling 20-yard attempt in the 52nd minute.

That also resulted in City’s first corner of the evening but Daniel Parslow headed well over from Lawless’ flag kick.

Ingham, meanwhile, pushed a 25-yard Porter effort around his post while Lawless tested Roberts from a similar distance.

Substitutes Craig Nelthorpe and Michael Gash were introduced as Foyle looked for a spark and it was almost provided by the latter when he skipped past Stuart on the right wing before pulling the ball back for Brodie whose near post shot brushed the sidenetting.

Ingham kept his side on level terms, however, with an early contender for save of the season, clawing out a close-range Neil Cousins header that was destined for his top left-hand corner.

Substitute Akurang then fired wastefully across the face of goal after overpowering McGurk and rounding Ingham.

Match facts

York City: Michael Ingham 8, Ben Purkiss 7, David McGurk 7, Daniel Parslow 6, James Meredith 6, Alex Lawless 6, Levi Mackin 6, Neil Barrett 6, Andy Ferrell 6, Richard Brodie 6, Michael Rankine 6.

Substitutions: Craig Nelthorpe (for Ferrell, 60) 6, Michael Gash (for Rankine, 68) 6, Adam Smith (for Lawless, 86).

Subs not used: O’Hare, Sangara.

Key: 10 – Faultless; 9 – Outstanding; 8 – Excellent; 7 – Good; 6 – Average; 5 – Below par; 4 – Poor; 3 – Dud; 2 – Hopeless; 1 – Retire.

City’s star man: Michael Ingham – terrific save ensured City earned a point.

Rushden: Dale Roberts, Curtis Osano, Jamie Stuart, Michael Corcoran, Kurt Robinson, Neil Cousins, Rob Woolleaston, Max Porter, Lee Tomlin (James Reid 59), Craig Farrell, Aaron O’Connor (Cliff Akurang 64).

Subs: Nick McNamara, Matt Pattison, Mark Byrne.

Yellow cards: Barrett 74, Cousins 75.

Shots on target: York 2, Rushden 5.

Shots off target: York 5, Rushden 4.

Corners: York 5, Rushden 10.

Fouls: York 7, Rushden 10.

Offsides: York 7, Rushden 4.

Referee: Billy Khatib (Sunderland).

Attendance: 2,267 (93 away fans).