FORMER Barrow boy Richard Brodie once more delivered the goods for York City and new manager Martin Foyle last night.

Brodie, farmed out to Cumbria on loan by previous boss Colin Walker, bagged a brace to earn the Minstermen a 2-0 FA Trophy victory at Northwich, booking a January 10 second round meeting with Oxford United in the process.

The 21-year-old has now netted all four goals during Foyle’s four-match reign at KitKat Crescent with his second finish as subtle as the first was spectacular.

Brodie, not afraid to try his luck from long range as was evident when he opened the scoring from 20 yards at Histon last week, broke the deadlock from even further out at the Marston’s Arena after 21 minutes.

He then added a second early in the second half, which was all about composure.

Including his four goals at Barrow, the impressive double-strike took Brodie’s tally to 11 for the season as the England ‘C’ international continues to fulfil the potential that tempted Billy McEwan to pluck him out of the Northern League from Newcastle Benfield Bay Plastics.

Before Brodie’s first goal, however, City survived two early scares in front of the sparse 393 crowd at Northwich’s Marston’s Arena.

On seven minutes, Jamie Mullen’s corner caught the wind and sailed over City stopper Michael Ingham, but former Minsterman Darryn Stamp headed too high with the goal at his mercy.

Seconds afterwards, David McGurk’s sliced clearance close to the halfway line sent home striker Lee Steele racing clear on goal.

Ingham charged 25 yards off his line to confront Steele only for the ex-Shrewsbury striker to get his shot away.

Steele’s effort rebounded off a post, however, and eluded left-winger Peter Winn, who was following up.

City, though, took control of proceedings when Brodie netted with his side’s first goal attempt of the evening.

Receiving the ball after good work by Andy McWilliams, the 6ft 3in striker unleashed a swirling 30-yard, right-footed shot that drifted over ’keeper Ryan Clarke and dipped under the crossbar.

Three minutes later, Simon Rusk curled a 25-yard free-kick narrowly over before Brodie was released for a free run on goal by Mark Greaves’ headed clearance.

This time, City’s in-form striker carried the ball to the edge of the penalty box but drove straight at Clarke.

Ben Purkiss also bent a free-kick over the bar on the stroke of half-time.

It only took four minutes after the restart, though, for Brodie to double City’s advantage.

Onome Sodje forced a mistake out of Northwich defender Simon Grand as he chased a forward pass by Greaves and, when the ball broke for Brodie in the penalty box, he deftly lifted the ball over Clarke as the home ’keeper looked to smother at his feet.

Northwich’s best chances of consolation both fell to substitute Aaron Burns but, on 70 minutes, he headed across goal and wide when unmarked following Steele’s right-wing cross.

In stoppage time, Burns then dragged a 20-yard chance inches wide with Ingham beaten.

At the other end, teenager Adam Boyes might have netted his first senior goal but fired wide of the near post when teed up by Brodie.

For Foyle, the final whistle represented a first win as City manager and a second, successive encouraging performance following the 1-1 draw at high-flying Histon.

Match facts

Northwich 0, York City 2 (Brodie 20, 50)

City: Michael Ingham 7, Ben Purkiss 8, Danny Parslow 8, David McGurk 7, Mark Robinson 7, Steven Hogg 7, Mark Greaves 8, Simon Rusk 7, Andy McWilliams 7, Richard Brodie 9, Onome Sodje 7.

Substitutions: Simon Russell (for McWilliams, 83) Adam Boyes (for Sodje, 83) Craig Farrell (for Hogg, 85)

Subs not used: Mimms, McBreen.

Key: 10 – Faultless; 9 – Outstanding; 8 – Excellent; 7 – Good; 6 – Average; 5 – Below par; 4 – Poor; 3 – Dud; 2 – Hopeless; 1 – Retire.

City’s star man: Brodie – two great goals and another performance full of enthusiasm.

Northwich: Ryan Clarke, Chris Flynn, Michael Welch, Will Antwi, Simon Grand, Jamie Mullen (Jonny Allan, 56), Matty Crowell, Rachid Yussuf, Peter Winn, Lee Steele, Darryn Stamp (Aaron Burns, 56).

Subs: Ryan Brown, Owen Price, Scott Tynan.

Yellow cards: None.

Shots on target: Vics 1, York 5.

Shots off target: Vics 8, York 5.

Corners: Vics 3, York 5.

Fouls conceded: Vics 13, York 13.

Offsides: Vics 4, York 4.

Referee: Mark Brown (Hull).

Rating: On the spot to make most decisions and got few wrong.

Attendance: 393.

Miss of the match: Had Steele managed to convert his early chance, the final outcome might have been different.

Shot of the match: Richard Brodie’s spectacular deadlock breaker.

Throw of the match: Ingham’s quick release that sent Brodie charging down the left flank.

City player watch: David McGurk

Goal attempts on target: 0

Goal attempts off target: 1

Blocked goal attempts: 0

Passes to own player: 8

Passes to opposition: 0

Crosses to own player: 0

Crosses to opposition: 0

Pass completion rate: 100 per cent

Dribbles ball retained: 0

Dribbles ball lost: 0

Dribble completion rate: 0 per cent

Headers: 14

Tackles: 2

Clearances, blocks and interceptions: 6

Fouls won: 1

Fouls conceded: 1

Offsides: 0

Yellow cards: 0

Final summary: Aside from a first-half miscue that could have proved costly when Steele hit the post, City centre-back McGurk gave his usual reliable display. He did not hit a stray pass in 90 minutes and coasted through the game at times, only being required to make two tackles and six clearances. Will be disappointed though that he did not hit the target with a late header from McWilliams’ corner.