YORK City went out of the FA Cup with a whimper at Field Mill last night.

Matt Somner’s 51st-minute strike settled a poor fourth qualifying round tie while the Minstermen only forced one save from Mansfield Town ’keeper Paddy Gamble all night.

City boss Colin Walker started with a 4-5-1 formation and, although the visitors were tidy in possession for the first half and contained the struggling Stags, they lacked penetration in the final third of the pitch as Daniel McBreen laboured as his side’s lone central striker.

Mansfield then came out for the second period and won the match while City’s midfield disappeared and the visitors’ efforts in response were insufficient to prevent Billy McEwan’s side securing a mouthwatering first round tie at neighbours Chesterfield.

A first half as devoid of quality as Saturday’s KitKat Crescent clash between the two teams saw neither side manage a shot from inside the penalty box.

City also failed to capitalise on a succession of early corners with the ball never threatening to reach Mark Greaves, who was such a threat at set-pieces early in the season.

The recalled Simon Russell had three long-range chances during the first period, volleying the first over from 20 yards after three minutes.

He then forced former City loan stopper Gamble into his only save of the evening from 30 yards on 27 minutes.

Debutant Gavin Rothery, playing on the right side of midfield, also drove wide from distance on 33 minutes before Russell missed the target from the edge of the box after a long punt forward by Michael Ingham.

Mansfield managed their only shot of the first half on 44 minutes when Nathan Arnold fired wide from 30 yards to ironic applause from an unimpressed home crowd.

Seconds later, former City boss McEwan was remonstrating with Stags supporters and shaking his head in disappointment as he was heckled on his way to the dressing rooms at the interval.

McEwan introduced Aaron O’Connor for the second half and the former Grays striker headed over from a Gary Silk long throw on 49 minutes.

Two minutes later, the Stags took the lead when Rothery was brushed off the ball by Arnold on the edge of his own penalty box.

Arnold then squared to Somner, who drilled a low shot into Ingham’s bottom left-hand corner from 20 yards.

The goal lifted Mansfield with Gavin Hurren (twice) and Jonathan D’Laryea both trying their luck from outside the penalty box and Jason Lee lifting a 15-yard attempt over.

Walker changed tactics by throwing Onome Sodje and Adam Boyes on while, off the pitch, a City supporter wrestled with three stewards and a policeman as he was escorted out of the stadium.

On 69 minutes, Sodje sent a speculative overhead kick high into the visitors’ stand and then sliced wide from the edge of the box shortly afterwards.

But the unmarked 20-year-old’s easiest chance arrived on 77 minutes when he headed over eight yards from goal after Mark Robinson had volleyed into the ground following good work from Ben Purkiss down the right.

Walker sent centre-back David McGurk up front on 86 minutes, but it was Mansfield who went closest to adding to the score when O’Connor raided down the right and his low cross found Arnold, whose eight-yard effort was kept out by Ingham’s legs.

Arnold also lobbed narrowly wide with Ingham stranded after Purkiss’ header lacked the weight to reach the City ’keeper.

York city
Michael Ingham 7, Ben Purkiss 7, David McGurk 6, Danny Parslow 6, Mark Robinson 6, Gavin Rothery 5, Simon Rusk 5, Mark Greaves 5, Ben Wilkinson 5, Simon Russell 6, Daniel McBreen 5.

Onome Sodje (for Rothery, 53) 6
Adam Boyes (for McBreen, 63) 6
Liam Shepherd (for Russell, 76)
Subs not used: Mimms, McWilliams, Henderson, Kelly.

Key: 10 – Faultless; 9 – Outstanding; 8 – Excellent; 7 – Good; 6 – Average; 5 – Below par; 4 – Poor; 3 – Dud; 2 – Hopeless; 1 – Retire

City’s star man: Purkiss – tired towards the end, but showed a passion that was missing in some of his team-mates.

Mansfield: Paddy Gamble, Gary Silk, Adie Moses, Maxine Chanot, Alex Jeannin, Jonathan D’Laryea, Gavin Hurren, Matt Somner, Emile Sinclair (Aaron O’Connor, 46), Jason Lee (Mark Stallard, 87), Nathan Arnold. Subs: Chris Wood, Ryan Goward, David Knight, Anthony Robinson, Warren Burrell.

Yellow cards: Boyes 65, McGurk 66.

Referee: Robert Merchant (Stoke-on-Trent). Rating: did little wrong, although it was not the most testing of Cup ties to officiate.

Attendance: 2,004 (224 away fans).

Shot of the match: Somner’s low drive was one of the game’s few moments of quality.
Miss of the match: Sodje’s off-target header after coming off the bench.
Save of the match: Ingham’s late stop from Arnold.

City player watch: Gavin Rothery

Goal attempts on target: 0
Goal attempts off target: 1
Blocked goal attempts: 0
Passes to own player: 12
Passes to opposition: 1
Crosses to own player: 0
Crosses to opposition: 4
Pass completion rate: 70.6 per cent
Dribbles ball retained: 2
Dribbles ball lost: 1
Dribble completion rate: 66.7 per cent
Headers: 6
Tackles: 5
Clearances, blocks and interceptions: 0
Fouls won: 0
Fouls conceded: 1
Offsides: 0
Yellow cards: 0
Final summary: Former Leeds United reserve Rothery made a quiet City debut before being withdrawn after 53 minutes. He did show the ability to beat his man on a couple of occasions, but disappointed when in crossing positions. Otherwise, though, he was generally reliable in possession and willing to make a tackle.