YORK City took a huge step towards safety in the Vanarama National League in front of a record-breaking crowd at the LNER Community Stadium, as Woking were toppled 2-0 by the Minstermen.

Composed finishes from Billy Chadwick and Dipo Akinyemi saw Adam Hinshelwood’s side respond to last Saturday’s setback against Eastleigh with a spirited victory over Woking, who also find themselves in the midst of a relegation battle.

Three points sees York claw their way up to 18th in the National League table and on 53 points, six clear of Boreham Wood in the relegation zone.

Boreham Wood are in action at the later kick-off against Aldershot Town (5.30pm), but should they fall to defeat tonight and again on Tuesday night against Rochdale (7.45pm), then City will become mathematically safe.

The three points was performed in front of a record-breaking crowd at the LNER Community Stadium, with an incredible 7,657 supporters packed into the stadium, which included 303 Woking fans.

The record beats the recent 2-1 victory over champions Chesterfield, and the 2-0 play-off final victory over Boston United in 2022.

Prior to kick-off, vice-captain Ryan Fallowfield was also revealed as the Billy Fenton Clubman of the Year, collecting his trophy in front of the home support.

Hinshelwood named two changes to his York side that were defeated 1-0 by Eastleigh last weekend, with the suspended Fallowfield and Sam Fishburn dropping out of the squad.

Lenell John-Lewis and Adam Crookes were handed starts, with Michael Duckworth, Will Smith and Scott Burgess back amongst the substitutions after spells injured.

Woking had celebrated an important 3-2 victory over Dagenham & Redbridge seven days ago, but still opted to make three changes with Timi Odusina, Tunji Akinola and Charley Kendall replacing Dion Kelly-Evans, Reece Grego-Cox and Alan Judge.

The visiting Cardinals lined up in a 5-3-2 to combat City’s 4-3-3, with Dipo Akinyemi lining up down the wing again, partnered by Dan Batty in right-back.

Woking’s tactics were paying off early on, with their high press forcing George Sykes-Kenworthy into an early mistake with his sliced clearance falling to Ricky Korboa, who dragged an effort wide from seven-yards out.

City responded with a sublime pass from Alex Hunt, allowing Maz Kouhyar to race towards goal and cut inside, but his eventual curling strike floated harmlessly over Will Jaaskelainen’s goal.

Marvin Armstrong was then forced wide before lifting an effort over the target, before Charley Kendall drilled a strike into the arms of Sykes-Kenworthy from close-range.

Kendall was involved again when laying the ball off for Jermaine Anderson, but his thunderous effort rose over Sykes-Kenworthy’s crossbar.

City would have their best opportunity of the half with a delicate through ball from Danny Amos seeing Billy Chadwick one-on-one with Jaaskelainen, but the Cardinals’ shot-stopper made an excellent save to keep the scores at bay.

It was another nearly moment for the Minstermen minutes later, as Lenell John-Lewis’ cross looked bound for the onrushing Akinyemi, but he wasn’t able to connect in a lethal manner.

Armstrong saw a strike blocked before Sykes-Kenworthy was well-positioned to hold a tame Anderson effort, before Hunt delivered a low cross across the face of goal, with no City body on hand to make the all-important touch.

It was a first-half which required work for the Minstermen, but they showed a newfound intensity in the second forty-five.

A corner directly from kick-off saw Woking immediately put under pressure by City, before John-Lewis met a teasing cross from Amos, powering his header narrowly over the crossbar.

But the LNER would erupt into life after a spectacular effort from Chadwick saw York take the lead.

A well-worked one-two with Akinyemi saw Chadwick race towards the byline, before producing an incredibly composed finish to arrow a strike into the far corner, handing Hinshelwood’s side a deserved lead.

York maintained their pressure with John-Lewis again coming close to scoring, seeing his effort trickle wide after some grit was shown in the box by Crookes.

John-Lewis again continued to nuisance the Woking backline, meeting Armstrong’s headed flick on to charge through one-on-one with Jaaskelainen, but the retreating Odusina made a fantastic challenge to cut out the danger.

But with City in the ascendancy and pushing for the three points, they secured the result with a sublime strike from Akinyemi.

Akinyemi’s 15th goal of the season saw the York talisman latch onto John-Lewis intuitive pass, before unleashing an unstoppable strike into the top left corner, beating Jaaskelainen from range.

City looked to add a third with substitute Paddy McLaughlin and Armstrong combining, allowing the latter to sting the palms of Jaaskelainen with a half-volleyed strike from close-range.

And John-Lewis would be denied a deserved goal in second-half stoppage-time, with the offside flag capping off an enjoyable afternoon for the Minstermen.

York are now in 18th position with one match remaining of the season, with a visit to Solihull Moors at the earlier kick-off time of 12:15 on Saturday, April 20.

YORK CITY: Sykes-Kenworthy 6, Batty 7, Howe 7, Crookes 7, Amos 8, Hunt 7, Armstrong 7, Chadwick 8, Akinyemi 8 (Burgess, 78), John-Lewis 8, Kouhyar 6 (McLaughlin, 88)

Subs not used: Campbell, Duckworth, Smith

Goals: Chadwick (59), Akinyemi (73)

Yellow cards: Hunt (32)

WOKING: Jaaskelainen, Moss, Wilkinson, Cuthbert, Odusina, Berkoe, Akinola, Anderson (Luker, 61), Edwards, Korboa (Grego-Cox, 71), Kendall (Browne, 71)

Subs not used: Casey, Oyeleke

Yellow cards: Grego-Cox (80)

York’s star man: Billy Chadwick. A really impressive performance with a deserved goal. The midfielder helped control the middle of the park and turned defence into attack in a battling performance.

Referee: James Oldham

Attendance: 7657 (303)

Shots off (on target): 7 (4)| 3 (1)

Corners:  4 | 5

Offsides: 2 | 4

Fouls committed: 8 | 7