YORK City are out of the Vanarama National League relegation zone with a spirited 2-0 victory over third-placed Bromley.

City were ahead after a productive run down the right-wing from Dipo Akinyemi saw Marvin Armstrong’s initial effort impressively stopped out by debutant Lewis Thomas, before Armstrong was able to pounce on the loose ball to put York in front.

The Minstermen would have Rory Watson to thank for keeping their lead intact, making two excellent stops to deny Michael Cheek and Kamarl Grant heading into the half-time break.

York defended for the majority of the second-half, but a remarkable strike from Akinyemi saw City earn another crucial three points, with the club’s leading scorer lobbing Thomas from 25-yards out.

It’s the first time in the National League this season that the Minstermen have secured back-to-back victories, beating two sides vying for the play-offs in the space of a week.

The three points will do York the world of good, with Adam Hinshelwood’s side now into 19th position of the National League, with no other team positioned 14th and below able to pick up a win this afternoon.

Hinshelwood had made it clear that he was hopeful of naming an unchanged squad after last Saturday’s 1-0 victory over Aldershot Town, but illness to Callum Howe forced the City boss into a single change.

Will Smith came into the starting eleven, whilst Quevin Castro and Zanda Siziba, who had been recalled from his Blyth Spartans loan on Thursday evening, were both reinstated back onto the substitutions bench.

Bromley themselves made four changes after playing on Wednesday evening, which included a start for former City centre-halve Byron Webster.

The Ravens lined up in a 3-5-2 formation, with goalkeeper Thomas being handed his first start after signing on Friday afternoon.

Louis Dennis, Besart Topalloj and Josh Passley all also came back into the squad, with Andy Woodman’s side hoping to build on their third-placed position.

The match wouldn’t start in the favour of the hosts however, as City came forward through Dipo Akinyemi who peeled away from Webster, before scuffing a strike wide from a narrow angle.

Bromley were then forced into an early substitute just 11 minutes in, with Deji Elerewe suffering a knee injury and being replaced by Grant.

Dennis looked to have an impact on his return to the Bromley eleven, but his half-volleyed attempt was blocked by Smith, forcing the strike wide.

And in a first-half which lacked real opportunities, it would be York who would take a deserved lead 33 minutes into the contest.

A powerful run down the right-wing from Akinyemi saw the forward deliver a low ball into the path of Armstrong, with his strike being well-saved by Thomas, before the midfielder bundled the ball over the line for his first goal in City colours.

York’s lead would be another huge confidence boost to Hinshelwood’s side, but they would have Watson to thank for keeping their lead intact.

Bromley’s danger would come from a corner with Grant knocking the ball down into the path of the prolific Michael Cheek, but his close-ranged strike was acrobatically palmed over the crossbar by a reactive Watson.

He was again called into action with an equally as impressive stop, again racing across his area to keep out Grant’s back post strike, tipping the effort clear from goal.

Heading into the second-half, City were forced into defending with an immediate Bromley corner, before Akinyemi was let down by his touch inside the hosts’ area.

Watson then made a simple stop to deny Corey Whitely at the back post, before the York shot-stopper was forced into a fantastic save, tipping Kido Taylor-Hart’s long-ranged effort wide of the target.

Bromley were enjoying the majority of the possession but were struggling to create anything productive, as a deep corner was cleared as far as Armstrong, driving the Minstermen forward, before Kouhyar unfortunately lost possession in the Bromley area.

Smith made his impact with Bromley attacking down the right-wing, as Passley’s low cross found an unmarked Olufela Olomola in the area, but an incredible challenge from the City defender stopped the hosts from equalising from five-yards out.

And with just under ten minutes remaining of normal time, York secured the three points in an outrageous fashion.

Some brilliant control from Akinyemi saw the striker bring the ball down from 25-yards out, before the City striker incredibly lifted the ball over Thomas from distance with a potential contender for York’s goal-of-the-season.

Another crucial three points for Hinshelwood’s side sees York move out of the relegation zone, as they look to back up the result when welcoming Chesterfield to the LNER Community Stadium on Good Friday (3pm), who lifted the National League title this afternoon.

BROMLEY: Thomas, Passley, Elerewe (Grant, 11), Reynolds (Taylor-Hart, 59), Webster, Topalloj, Charles, Krauhaus, Whitely, Cheek, Dennis (Olomola, 59)

Subs not used: Aziaya, Taylor-Hart, Arthurs, Olomola

YORK CITY: Watson 8, Latty-Fairweather 7 (Siziba, 82), Fallowfield 7, Smith 7, Amos 6, Batty 7 (McLaughlin, 72), Hunt 7, Armstrong 8, Kouhyar 7 (John-Lewis 6, 72), Akinyemi 8, Chadwick 6

Subs not used: Sykes-Kenworthy, Castro

Goals: Armstrong (33), Akinyemi (81)

Yellow cards: Hunt (85)

York’s star man: Marvin Armstrong. Several performances to be impressed by, but the midfielder didn’t put a foot wrong, netted his first goal for the club and was excellent again today.

Referee: Robert Massey-Ellis

Attendance: 3738 (421)

Shots off (on target): 5 (4) | 1 (2)

Corners: 11 | 1

Offsides: 1 | 3

Fouls committed: 8 | 6