THE Adam Hinshelwood era of York City got underway with a 3-2 defeat to Wealdstone, as the Minstermen dropped into the Vanarama national league relegation zone.

After the sacking of Neal Ardley on Monday, York moved quickly to appoint replacement Hinshelwood from Vanarama National League South high-fliers Worthing on a long-term contract.

Hinshelwood arrived into City with the promise of attacking football, as the Minstermen welcomed a Wealdstone side that were without a league win in their last eight matches to the LNER Community Stadium.

But after Billy Chadwick netted his first brace for the football club, an equaliser on the brink of half-time from Jack Cook and a second-half double from Max Kretzschmar saw the Stones leave North Yorkshire with the three points.

As a result, York have dropped into the National League relegation zone on 39 points, two behind a Dorking Wanderers side that defeated the league-leaders Chesterfield 4-1 this afternoon.

Hinshelwood made five changes to the line-up which Ardley put out in last Saturday’s 2-0 defeat to Barnet, which included a first start for Tyler Cordner since December.

Michael Duckworth, Paddy McLaughlin, Charlie Allen and Chadwick all also came into the starting side, whilst Ryan Fallowfield, Will Smith, Alex Hunt, Alex Woodyard and Adam Crookes all dropped out.

Fallowfield was absent due to a suspected concussion, but will be back available for Tuesday night’s match with AFC Fylde (7.45pm).

Wealdstone made four changes of their own, with Sam Bowen, Mason Barrett, Alex Dyer and Kretzschmar all being integrated into the eleven.

Hinshelwood’s tenue in charge came with a double rainbow hanging over the LNER, but it wouldn’t be the same level of excitement on the pitch in the early stages.

Very little action was on offer for the opening 15 minutes, before George Sykes-Kenworthy was called into action to produce a strong stop when palming away an effort from Sean Adarkwa.

From the resulting cleared corner, York broke forward with Allen leading the way, before being cut off by a strong challenge from a retreating Wealdstone defender.

Allen was involved again from a scuffed clearance from Dewhurst, but the Leeds United loanee could only slice a volleyed strike well wide of the target.

York were left frustrated again with Will Davies slicing an effort into the path of Allen in the area, whose close-ranged volley was tipped narrowly wide by Marcus Dewhirst.

But with the Minstermen putting pressure on the Wealdstone back line, a routine goal was all it took for Hinshelwood’s men to take the lead.

A long ball from Sykes-Kenworthy split the Stones defence into two, with Chadwick racing through the middle and lifting a delicate chip over the onrushing Dewhirst, putting City ahead.

But with the half-time whistle beckoning, Wealdstone drew level. A deep free-kick from Nathan Ferguson found captain Cook unmarked in the York area, who powered a low header past Sykes-Kenworthy.

The second-half came at a bad time for the Stones, having just scored, but they never wavered and carried that momentum into the second forty-five.

And just three minutes into the second-half, Wealdstone had their lead. A scuffed strike from Barrett appeared too powerful for Sykes-Kenworthy, who spilled the effort into Kretzschmar at the back post with the former Woking midfielder grateful to bundle the ball home.

Bowen looked to have an impact for the visitors as his arrowed pass found Tarryn Allarakhia, but the latter’s long-ranged effort narrowly skimmed Sykes-Kenworthy’s far post.

York struggled to respond to Wealdstone’s lead, and David Noble’s side took full advantage by adding a third on the hour mark.

A long ball was flicked on by Adarkwa, allowing Kretzschmar to race in behind the York defence, before bagging his brace with a composed finish into the bottom left corner.

York did respond this time around, and were left ruing their missed chances after Dipo Akinyemi forced Dewhirst into a brilliant low stop, before Danny Amos somehow missed the target from six-yards out.

Barrett thought he had added insult to injury with a deflected effort that forced Sykes-Kenworthy to palm the effort onto the crossbar, before Kretzschmar’s curling strike cleared the woodwork.

City survived some Wealdstone pressure before narrowing the deficit, with Chadwick netting a deserved brace.

A driving run forward saw the York attacker toe-poke an effort from the edge of the area, beating Dewhirst from range and instilling belief back into the City squad.

But as Lenell John-Lewis saw a header saved and Duckworth was forced into a strong block, York were unable to mount the comeback needed, as Hinshelwood's era in charge began in a disappointing defeat.

York City: Sykes-Kenworthy 6, Duckworth 6, Howe 6, Cordner 5 (Smith 6, 66), Amos 6, McLaughlin 6, Batty 6, Davies 5 (John-Lewis 6, 66), Chadwick 7, Allen 6, Akinyemi 6

Subs not used: Barnes, Hunt

Goals: Chadwick (36, 78)

Yellow card: McLaughlin (66)

Wealdstone: Dewhurst, Cook, Barker, Dyer, Barrett, Mundle-Smith, Ferguson, Bowen, Allarakhia, Kretzschmar (Henry, 81), Adarkwa (Andrews, 64)

Subs not used: De Silva, Cesay, Mason

Goals: Cook (45), Kretzschmar (48,60)

York’s star man: Billy Chadwick. A brace for his first two goals for the club and hopefully some much-needed confidence.

Referee: Zac Kennard-Kettle

Shots (on target): 3 (5) | 3 (5)

Corners:  3 | 3

Offsides: 1 | 0

Fouls committed: 10 | 9