THE ten men of York City earned a hard-fought point on the road with a 1-1 draw with Maidenhead United.

York midfielder Alex Woodyard was shown a straight red card in just the 20th minute after a late challenge on Zico Asare, with the referee giving Woodyard his marching orders.

Maidenhead were unable to capitalise in the first-half, but were handed an opportunity after George Sykes-Kenworthy fouled Shawn McCoulsky in the penalty box.

However, Sykes-Kenworthy made amends with an impressive low save to parry Ashley Nathaniel-George’s strike wide.

Maidenhead did take the lead through Nathaniel-George however, with a deflected effort finding the bottom left corner despite York’s best efforts.

But City showed the right attitude in their response, with Callum Howe tapping home at the back post to grant Neal Ardley’s side an important point.

City supporters also got the chance to see new man Luke Daley have his first start for the club, after the left-back joined on a short-term loan deal from Huddersfield Town on Friday.

There was just one point separating the two sides prior to kick-off with Maidenhead occupying 17th position after enjoying a four match unbeaten run in National League action.

Ardley opted to remain with his 4-4-2 formation after the success of Tuesday night, but was forced into one of his two changes with Dipo Akinyemi absent from the squad.

Akinyemi is set to miss the next three weeks of action with York, seeing Lenell John-Lewis partner Will Davies up front.

Thierry Latty-Fairweather dropped out of the starting eleven in place of debutant Daley, despite the defender only having one training session under Ardley so far.

City struggled in the early stages of the match, with Maidenhead looking the more likely on the attack.

It was the hosts who looked to carve out an early chance, as Ashley Nathaniel-George’s tricky feet ended with a tame effort that was coolly collected by Sykes-Kenworthy.

York then came within inches of an opener after a shoddy clearance from Maidenhead saw an unmarked Woodyard handed possession on the edge of the area, but his sliced strike narrowly evaded the top left corner.

Woodyard was involved again with 20 minutes played, but in the worst fashion possible, with a rash challenge on Zico Asare being deemed poor enough to earn a red card for the midfielder, with referee Richard Aspinall forcing City to play the next 80 minutes with 10 men.

Maidenhead quickly reacted to York’s misfortune with Sam Beckwith having back-to-back chances that fell short of the target, before Sam Barratt had an effort deflected agonisingly over the crossbar.

York were struggling to force any attack being a man down, with Lenell John-Lewis being handed the ball by Craig Ross 30-yards from goal, but failing to pull the trigger on the retreating Maidenhead shot-stopper.

Nathaniel-George then saw a strike fizz wide of the target, before Ardley looked to combat the man disadvantage with the introduction of Latty-Fairweather for Maziar Kouhyar, setting City up in a back five.

But the Minstermen would have pleased to head into the half-time break level, especially after an impressive low stop from Sykes-Kenworthy to keep Reece Smith at bay.

Ardley looked to change York’s fortunes at the break, making a double change with John-Lewis and Olly Green making way for Olly Dyson and McLaughlin.

It looked to have a positive impact early on, with Dyson finding Davies within the box, but his cross-shot was missing that connection from a York player.

Sykes-Kenworthy was set to be a busy man in the second half, which began when keeping out substitute Shawn McCoulsky from close-range.

Nathaniel-George then had an effort clear the stand behind Sykes-Kenworthy, before York responded with debutant Daley creating danger down the left-hand side and crossing into the box, but the referee stopped play for an alleged foul by McLaughlin elsewhere.

And to partner that, the referee then handed Maidenhead a golden opportunity take the lead, with Sykes-Kenworthy being ruled to have fouled McCoulsky in the box.

But Sykes-Kenworthy was quick to redeem himself, making a brilliant penalty save when diving to his bottom right and keeping Nathaniel-George out.

Unfortunately, it would only be temporary for the Minstermen, who were pegged back just two minutes after surviving their penalty scare.

A sublime run from Zico Asare saw the defender spread the ball wide and into the path of Nathaniel-George who made amends for his penalty miss with a deflected strike that nestled into the bottom corner.

City responded with an attempt from Howe, who met Burgess’ teasing free-kick, but could only glance his header wide.

Casey Petit nearly doubled the hosts lead with a long-ranged strike which dipped onto the crossbar.

But after Davies went close minutes earlier with a skimmed header, the ten men of York brought the scores level and earned a crucial point in the dying minutes.

With 87 minutes played, some confusion inside the Maidenhead box saw Howe pounce onto a loose ball and volley past a stranded Ross, with City showing the necessary fight to earn a point at York Road.

York are back in action next Friday (7.45pm) for their highly-anticipated Emirates FA Cup clash with former winners Wigan Athletic at the LNER Community Stadium.

Maidenhead United: Ross, Asare, De Havilland, Clerima, Beckwith, Nathaniel-George, Ferdinand, Petit, Barratt (McCoulsky, 55), Smith, Sho-Silva

Subs: Keetch, Omilabu, Massey, Kinsella

Goals: Nathaniel-George (72)

Yellow cards: Barratt (45+3)

York City: Sykes-Kenworthy 8, Fallowfield 7, Howe 7, Cordner 7, Daley 7, Burgess 6, Woodyard 4, Green 6 (McLaughlin 6, 46), Kouhyar 6 (Latty-Fairweather 6, 41), Davies 6, John-Lewis 5 (Dyson 7, 46)

Subs not used: Stockdale, Kennedy

Goals: Howe (87)

Yellow cards: Davies (72), Fallowfield (90+4)

Red card: Woodyard (20)

York’s star man: George Sykes-Kenworthy. A brilliant performance from the York goalkeeper who couldn’t do anything about the Maidenhead goal, but commanded his box and made a sublime penalty save.

Attendance: 1525

Referee: Richard Aspinall

Shots off (on target): 9 (4) | 2 (1)

Corners: 7 | 0

Offsides: 1 | 0

Fouls committed: 8 | 12