FARSLEY Celtic might run out to the Rocky theme tune but it was York City who delivered the knock-out blows at Throstle Nest yesterday.

Goals by Martyn Woolford and Craig Farrell ensured City moved into the FA Trophy quarter-finals at the expense of the West Yorkshire part-timers although, in truth, Colin Walker's men produced a far from punchy performance.

For 84 minutes, Woolford's free-kick deadlock breaker represented the visitors' only shot on target of an uneventful encounter.

Stuart Elliott then warmed Curtis Aspden's frost-bitten hands with a 35-yard effort before substitute Farrell wrapped up matters in the last minute by capitalising on calamitous home defending.

In general, though, City were a shadow of their recent selves with midfielders Manny Panther and Nicky Wroe strangely subdued.

The back three deserve credit for keeping a clean sheet and Anthony Lloyd turned in a dependable display, but several others were below standard.

Should the KitKat Crescent club negotiate two more rounds and end their season at Wembley, however, only the result of this game - rather than its aesthetic appeal - will be remembered.

And, as Walker rightly pointed out at the final whistle, it is the sign of a good side who can win when not at their best.

It is also true that the reverse was so often the case earlier this season when City did not always get what they deserved from matches.

In a poor first half, played at Sunday stroll pace, neither 'keeper was severely tested with Tom Evans making the only save of the first 45 minutes - a routine stop from Simeon Bambrook's 25-yard free-kick.

Damien Reeves might have done better, though, on 13 minutes when he lobbed out of the ground with Evans stranded.

At the other end, Richard Brodie outmuscled former Leeds United defender Mark Jackson but then overran the ball when in a promising position and Woolford dragged a 15-yard effort well wide on 28 minutes.

Woolford made amends four minutes after the restart, picking himself up after being tripped by James Knowles to find Curtis Aspden's bottom right-hand corner with a curling effort from 20 yards.

Farsley threatened fleetingly with Reeves rattling the bar, although he was judged offside in what looked a very marginal decision.

Moments later, Lloyd, defending the far post at a Roy Stamer corner, was also required to clear off the line from Pakistan international Amjad Iqbal's header. Walker responded by replacing Wroe with Onome Sodje and the change, coupled with tiring Farsley legs, helped City end the tie in positive fashion.

Elliott, full-debutant Russell Fry and Panther all tried their luck from distance before Farrell scored his 14th goal of the season to move ahead of Sodje as City's leading marksman.

The former Leeds reserve pounced after Scott McNiven blasted his attempted clearance straight at team-mate Iqbal following Fry's hopeful ball into the penalty box. Farrell then found Aspden's bottom right-hand corner from seven yards and City were through.

Match facts:

Farsley Celtic 0, York City 2 (Woolford 49, Farrell 89)

York City: Tom Evans 6, Ben Purkiss 7, David McGurk 7, Danny Parslow 7, Russell Fry 6, Anthony Lloyd 7, Stuart Elliott 6, Manny Panther 6, Nicky Wroe 6, Richard Brodie 6, Martyn Woolford 7.

Substitutions: Craig Farrell (for Brodie, 55) 7 Onome Sodje (for Wroe, 76) Phil Turnbull (for Panther, 90)

Subs not used: Mimms, Beadle.

Key: 10 - Faultless; 9 - Outstanding; 8 - Excellent; 7 - Good; 6 - Average; 5 - Below par; 4 - Poor; 3 - Dud; 2 - Hopeless; 1 - Retire.

City's star man: Purkiss - composed switch to right-sided centre-back that allowed City to retain their successful system and claim a clean sheet.

Farsley Celtic: Curtis Aspden, Stephen Downes, Mark Jackson, Amjad Iqbal, Scott McNiven, Scott Gardner, James Knowles (Gareth Grant, 73), Craig Bentham, Andrew Watson (Roy Stamer, 64), Simeon Bambrook (Tristam Whitman, 60), Damian Reeves.

Subs not used: Stephen Torpey, Colin Heath.

Yellow cards: Bambrook 3, Lloyd 30, Knowles 54, McNiven 90.

Shots on target: Farsley 2 York 3

Shots off target: Farsley 3 York 4

Corners: Farsley 10 York 5

Fouls conceded: Farsley 17 York 19

Offsides: Farsley 4 York 3

Referee: Oliver Langford (West Mids).

Rating: a little whistle-happy but steered clear of controversy.

Attendance: 952.

Clearance of the match: Lloyd's header off the line proved the importance of a man on each post at corners.

Shot of the match: Woolford's free-kick was City's first moment of genuine quality on 49 minutes.

Mistake of the match: The Keystone Kops moment that led to Farrell's goal.

City player watch: Wing-back Russell Fry

Goal attempts on target: 0

Goal attempts off target: 1

Blocked goal attempts: 0

Passes to own player: 27

Passes to opposition: 5

Crosses to own player: 2

Crosses to opposition: 2

Pass success rate: 80.6 per cent

Dribbles ball retained: 0

Dribbles ball lost: 0

Dribble success rate: 0 per cent

Headers: 5

Tackles: 2

Clearances, blocks and interceptions: 2

Free-kicks won: 2

Free-kicks conceded: 0

Offsides: 0

Bookings: 0

Final summary: Russell Fry made a tidy full debut, as his ability to retain possession illustrates. He also claimed an unlikely assist for Farrell's last-minute goal. The fact that right-wing back is not his natural position, though, was highlighted by his failure to beat - or even attempt to go past his marker - and a fairly low return of four crosses.