YORK City super-sub Craig Farrell scored two late goals to finish off Farsley Celtic and earn the visitors a deserved 4-1 win at Throstle Nest.

The Minstermen had dominated the majority of their televised Blue Square Premier clash, but the outcome remained in doubt until Farrell scored the visitors' third goal on 81 minutes.

Farrell then struck again six minutes later meaning the former Leeds United trainee, who netted ten times in 50 outings last season, has now scored five times in less than one hour of football during an explosive return to first-team action after seven weeks sidelined with a thigh injury.

Following his quickfire hat-trick against Rushall Olympic last Saturday, Farrell was equally as clinical against Farsley despite largely operating on the left and right flanks after his 64th-minute introduction for Martyn Woolford.

Even prior to Farrell's arrival, though, the standard of City's forward play was impressive with goals from Daniel McBreen and Paul Brayson scant reward for an entertaining first-half display.

McBreen was preferred to Richard Brodie and Farrell as Onome Sodje's striking partner and justified Billy McEwan's decision with a strong first-half showing in his farewell appearance for the Minstermen.

After just four minutes, the Australian forward won an aerial challenge to create a chance for Sodje, who drove narrowly wide from 20 yards. He then started and finished an excellent eighth-minute move to fire the Minstermen in front.

The Scunthorpe frontman lost his marker with a smart turn on the halfway line before passing to Brayson, who swept a crossfield ball to Woolford on the opposite flank.

Woolford then fed Sodje, who laid the ball into McBreen's path and the 6ft 3ins target man hardly broke stride before driving firmly into home 'keeper Tom Morgan's bottom left-hand corner from the edge of the penalty box.

Ten minutes later, Woolford rode two challenges before firing just wide of Morgan's near post.

Another flowing and patient passing move then saw McBreen again spin cleverly in the penalty box following an Elliott pass but, on this occasion, the former Falkirk frontman missed the target. City did not have to wait much longer, however, to double their advantage with McBreen once more to the fore, winning possession 40 yards from the Farsley goal before threading through a well-weighted pass for Sodje.

Morgan did well to smother at Sodje's feet, but Brayson pounced on the loose ball and sidefooted past the covering defender into the bottom corner from eight yards out.

Farsley did not possess the same attacking quality as City but remained game opponents and reduced the deficit in fine style when Roy Stamer went past a back-tracking Darren Craddock before unleashing a thundering 25-yard shot into Tom Evans' bottom left-hand corner.

But City went close to increasing their lead three times before the interval.

First, Woolford cut in from the left to force Morgan into a brilliant fingertip save from 18 yards, pushing the former Frickley winger's shot to safety off the inside of his left-hand post.

Then, Sodje was cynically tripped by home defender Ryan Crossley inches outside the penalty box as he raced on to McBreen's clever reverse pass.

A couple of defenders were in Sodje's proximity but it is doubtful whether either would have been capable of preventing the speedy 19-year-old striker going through one-on-one with Morgan.

Referee David Coote, however, decided Crossley did not deny a clear goalscoring opportunity and brandished a yellow card.

Stuart Elliott subsequently hit a rasping free-kick narrowly over.

In the second half, a mix-up saw Woolford kick team-mate Sodje instead of the ball with the goal begging after more good work by McBreen.

But Evans had to be alert to keep out a Tristam Whitman effort at his near post on 71 minutes. Seconds later, the game was delayed after missiles were thrown on to the pitch but, amid the confusion, Farrell stayed focused to secure victory on the resumption.

First, the 24-year-old striker capitalised on a mistake by former City full-back Stephen Downes.

He let McBreen's header squirm underneath his boot and Farrell's punishment was swift, driving low to Morgan's right from 15 yards.

Farrell's second finish was just as emphatic, finding Morgan's bottom right-hand corner with the outside of his right boot from 15 yards after Elliott had played the ball back to him from inside the penalty box.

The victory was improving City's sixth in the last nine matches and a great reward for an impressive travelling army of 833 fans, who had resisted the temptation to cheer their team on from the pub despite the unsociable kick-off time.

Match stats

Farsley Celtic 1 (Stamer 29), York City 4 (McBreen 8, Brayson 23, Farrell 81, 87)

York City: Tom Evans 7, Darren Craddock 7, David McGurk 8, Darren Kelly 7, Mark Robinson 8, Paul Brayson 7, Stuart Elliott 8, Manny Panther 7, Martyn Woolford 8, Daniel McBreen 9, Onome Sodje 8.

Substitutions: Craig Farrell (for Woolford, 64) 8, Nicky Wroe (for Brayson, 69) 7, Richard Brodie (for Sodje, 84)

Subs not used: Mimms, Parslow.

Key: 10 - Faultless; 9 - Outstanding; 8 - Excellent; 7 - Good; 6 - Average; 5 - Below par; 4 - Poor; 3 - Dud; 2 - Hopeless; 1 - Retire

City's star man: McBreen - provided a great target for his team-mates and was the central figure in most of City's attacking moves.

Farsley: Tom Morgan, Stephen Downes, Ryan Crossley, Carl Serrant, Roy Stamer (Gareth Grant, 75), Andy Watson (Tristan Whitman, 61), Amjad Iqbal, Chris Billy, Michael Pearson (Scott McNiven, 85), Simeon Bambrook, Damian Reeves.

Subs not used: Mark Jackson, Ashley Allanson.

Yellow cards: Crossley 43.

Red cards: none.

Shots on target: Farsley 5, York 7

Shots off target: Farsley 5, York 6

Corners: Farsley 8, York 3

Fouls conceded: Farsley 14, York 6

Offsides: Farsley 6, York 2

Referee: David Coote (Wigan).

Rating: generally good but there was a strong argument Crossley should have seen red for his trip on Sodje.

Attendance: 1,603.

Move of the match: City's first goal could even be a contender for move of the season.

Save of the match: Home 'keeper Morgan's finger-tip effort from Woolford.

Shot of the match: Either of Farrell's clinical first-time finishes.

City player watch: Daniel McBreen

Goal attempts on target: 1

Goal attempts off target: 1

Blocked goal attempts: 0

Passes to own player: 36

Passes to opposition: 7

Crosses to own player: 0

Crosses to opposition: 2

Pass success rate: 80 per cent

Dribbles ball retained: 3

Dribbles ball lost: 3

Dribble success rate: 50 per cent

Headers: 21 Tackles: 7

Clearances, blocks and interceptions: 0

Free-kicks won: 2

Free-kicks conceded: 2

Offsides: 0 Bookings: 0

Final summary: Daniel McBreen showed his class in the first half, scoring the first goal and claiming an assist for the second.

His shielding and passing of the ball was also excellent and, despite tiring late in the game, he had a hand in City's third goal and was dangerous in the air and on the ground throughout.

A tackle tally of seven also showed his willingness to defend from the front.