KEI TH LOWE and Jake Hyde were the goal heroes following another Jekyll and Hyde York City performance at Hartlepool.

Booed off at half-time by a travelling army of 799 supporters, the Minstermen sent those same fans home deliriously happy following a whirlwind ten-minute spell that saw Lowe bag a brace and Hyde net to secure a vital 3-1 win.

The performance represented a sensational reversal of the trend for impressive first halves followed by tepid second periods under new boss Russ Wilcox.

It also provided more cause for optimism should Wilcox solve the conundrum of how his side can convert highly-promising 45-minute spells into complete displays.

Saturday’s match arguably offered the biggest contrast from one half to the next with Hartlepool well on top before the interval and well-deserved leaders courtesy of Northern League recruit Scott Fenwick’s first goal in professional football.

The hosts, inspired by some positive bursts from right back by former City youth-team player Michael Duckworth, looked more motivated than the visitors.

Nicky Featherstone, meanwhile, was being afforded room to pull the midfield strings as the Minstermen retreated deeper and deeper while options for any away player in possession were limited, leading to a flurry of pointless passes backwards and sideways.

A goal down to a side bottom of the Sky Bet League Two table and three points behind them, the situation was looking hairy for the visitors before moustached marksman Lowe and his hirsute accomplice Luke Summerfield intervened.

The pair, who are supporting the Movember charity push this month, were both prominent during a second period that bristled with determination.

Summerfield helped push Wilcox’s team further up the field after replacing Lewis Montrose at the interval and, in tandem with skipper Russell Penn, wrestled supremacy back in the middle of the pitch.

Centre-half Lowe, meanwhile, claimed two headers in as many minutes to completely turn the tables, with Hyde going on to make the points safe.

Earlier, the ex-Barnet centre forward had called home keeper Scott Flinders into action at his near post with just 31 seconds on the clock but that proved City’s only on-target attempt of the opening half.

At the other end, Duckworth was unfortunate not to be awarded a penalty when his charge into the box was checked by City defender Stephane Zubar.

An unmarked Sam Collins then saw his near-post shot, following a Featherstone corner, kicked off the line by Marvin McCoy, before Hartlepool forged in front on 27 minutes.

Duckworth released Marlon Harewood through the right channel and the former West Ham and Aston Villa striker’s low cross into the six-yard box was converted by a delighted Fenwick.

Moments later, Fenwick headed over from a similar distance and a fizzing 15-yard half-volley by Jonathan Franks narrowly cleared Alex Cisak’s crossbar.

Harewood also dragged a good chance wide on the stroke of half-time following another Duckworth raid.

Overwhelmed City mustered very little in response with Josh Carson having a 25-yard effort that drifted well wide and Montrose hoofing an edge-of-the-box shot out of the ground.

The second-half transformation, however, was instant with Zubar seeing a 47th-minute attempt cleared off the line following Carson’s corner.

Intelligent play by Michael Coulson, throwing a dummy before spinning to race on to Fletcher’s subsequent pass, then saw him call Flinders into a low save to his left with a firm diagonal drive.

It proved the game’s pivotal moment with Lowe leaping to guide Carson’s subsequent 53rd-minute flag kick into Flinders’ bottom right-hand corner from eight yards.

Two minutes later, Carson played another corner from the opposite flank short to Penn.

The City skipper then shrugged off the attentions of two home defenders before delivering a left-wing cross on to the head of Lowe at the far post for the visitors’ second goal.

Hyde went on to stride into the penalty box and find Flinder’s bottom right-hand corner from 15 yards after Fletcher and Coulson had combined to create a 63rd-minute opportunity.

It was a stunning passage of play for a team that had only managed one second-half goal during their previous ten matches.

A shell-shocked and demoralised Hartlepool struggled to regroup with on-loan Newcastle striker Adam Campbell prodding wide from seven yards with his first touch on 68 minutes and Penn clearing a Fenwick attempt off the line in stoppage time.

City substitute Lindon Meikle, meanwhile, should have added a fourth for the visitors when he broke clear on the counter attack at the death but fired wide.

That mattered little, though, to City’s jubilant followers, whose half-time agony had given way to full-on ecstasy, as their team won a game in which they had been trailing for the first time since the 2012 play-off final victory against Luton.

Match stats

York City

Alex Cisak 7 – dealt with most things confidently but left exposed for goal.

Marvin McCoy 8 – resilient when tested down his flank and cleared his lines sensibly.

Keith Lowe 9 – STAR MAN displayed determination to score two headers that changed course of game.

Stephane Zubar 7 – given a few nervous moments by the home attack before settling.

Femi Ilesanmi 7 – reserved in his attacking contributions but resolute defensively.

Josh Carson 8 – showed great energy and heart to complete his first full 90 minutes since March.

Lewis Montrose 5 – hauled off after a first half in which most of his team-mates could have been too.

Russell Penn 8 – grabbed the game by the scruff of its neck in the second half.

Michael Coulson 8 – one moment of class led to the corner that gave Lowe the chance to level scores.

Jake Hyde 8 – composed finish oozed class and should provide a fillip for future games.

Wes Fletcher 7 – harried and closed opponents down as he continues to build up his fitness.

Subs: Luke Summerfield 7 – busy (for Montrose, 46), Lindon Meikle (for Fletcher, 90). Not used: Michael Ingham, John McCombe, Brad Halliday, Tom Platt, Ryan Jarvis.

Hartlepool United

Scott Flinders, Michael Duckworth (Dan Jones, 79), Sam Collins, Scott Harrison, Neil Austin, Jordan Richards (Adam Campbell, 67), Brad Walker, Nicky Featherstone, Jonathan Franks, Scott Fenwick, Marlon Harewood (Joe Ironside, 63). Subs not used: Jon Maxted, Matthew Bates, Michael Woods, Sidney Schmeltz.

Hartlepool star man: Duckworth – caused City first-half problems with positive bursts.

Referee: Eddie Ilderton (Tyne & Wear).

Rating: 7/10 – decisive and firm amid derby-day atmosphere.

Booked: None.

Attendance: 4,234 (799 from City).

Shots on target: Hartlepool 5, City 6.

Shots off target: Hartlepool 7, City 6.

Corners: Hartlepool 7, City 6.

Fouls conceded: Hartlepool 11, City 9.

Offsides: Hartlepool 3, City 1.