TEENAGE striker Flynn McNaughton further pressed his claims for a full senior debut after scoring for the reserves during a 1-1 draw with Grimsby.

McNaughton, who made a third successive first-team substitute appearance during Tuesday night's 1-0 National League North defeat at Nuneaton, netted at Bootham Crescent to open the scoring in the Central League fixture.

But Grimsby striker Rumarn Burrell made sure the shares were spoiled against a host team that fielded four players with first-team experience – McNaughton, the previous night's debutant Vinnie Steels, Theo Wharton and Raul Correia.

The visitors, meanwhile, included only one player boasting first-team experience – 17-year-old defender Emil Powles, who came on as an 88th-minute substitute appearance during November’s 1-1 Football League Trophy draw against Sunderland under-21.

Former Minstermen and current Grimsby coaches Neil Woods and Andy Warrington were both in the away dugout, but it was the home side that made the early running with McNaughton’s cross from the right sidefooted wide at the near post by Correia, who otherwise made little impact against the visitors' novice back four all afternoon.

Harry Thompson, who captained the City team, also drilled wide from the edge of the box after Steels’ corner had been cleared.

At the other end, Brandon Buckley curled a 30-yard free kick over, but it was the Minstermen who forged in front on 19 minutes.

Nimble footwork by Steels took him past Tom Jamieson to reach the byline, where he pulled the ball back for McNaughton to steer a first-time, seven-yard shot into Mariners keeper Ollie Battersby’s bottom-left corner.

But the visitors were level just past the half-hour mark when last-man Jake Watson lost the ball to Burrell and the number nine went on to sidefoot through Ryan Whitley’s legs.

Buckley - the grandson of former Grimsby boss Alan - then hit Whitley’s near post after receiving a short corner from Conley Poynter.

After the break, Powles headed wide from a Lewis Collins free kick and, after McNaughton found the sidenetting from an unfavourable angle, Poynter drilled a diagonal attempt wide for Grimsby.

Jock Curran also headed over Whitley’s goal and a speculative Tom Sawyer drive flew too high, while sub Joe Starbuck’s low shot lacked the pace to trouble City’s teenage keeper.

At the other end, a curling Thompson free kick was pushed behind by Battersby and, after Collins failed to extend Whitley from distance, Aaron Haswell's firm drive was kept out at the near post by the Grimsby keeper for the last action of the contest.

Team: Whitley, Dyer, Watson, Rogerson, Lawrence, Haswell, Wharton, Thompson, Steels (Harrison, 61), McNaughton (Berry, 78), Correia.