GARY Martin’s first goal for York City and a Jon Parkin brace of penalties saw off Coalville Town in the FA Trophy third qualifying round.

The Leicestershire part-timers did manage a 77th-minute consolation through Daniel Creaney, meaning the Minstermen are still without a clean sheet in 12 games, but Martin Gray’s side can now look forward to Monday’s draw, as they continue their defence of the trophy.

A slow start to the game saw Parkin head over the first chance on 13 minutes following a Daniel Rowe corner.

Amari Morgan-Smith then volleyed off target after being picked out at the far post by David Ferguson’s left-wing cross and Martin headed over from a centre by Rowe.

Visiting keeper Matthew Coton made the first save of the afternoon when Morgan-Smith fired a low shot at him after being released through the right channel by Martin on the half-hour mark.

Josh Law, meanwhile, saw a 15-yard deflected effort spin wide and Sean Newton called Coton into action again with a diagonal edge-of-the-box effort.

Coalville took some encouragement from City being unable to make the breakthrough and 15-goal top scorer Nathan Watson clipped the top of Adam Bartlett’s crossbar after cutting inside from the left and going past Hamza Bencherif.

Dean Freeman also headed on to the roof of the Longhurst from Blair Anderson’s corner, but the Minstermen took a half-time lead into the interval thanks to Martin on 43 minutes.

After Coton had safely gathered a free kick from Parkin that skidded off the surface, Martin exchanged passes with City’s target man, before curling an excellent finish into the Ravens’ shot-stopper’s top-left corner.

Coalville made a bright start to the second period, with Tom McGlinchey and Kyle Dixon both aiming narrowly wide from the edge of the box.

But the Minstermen responded with Newton driving off target from distance and Dan Parslow heading into Coton’s arms following a Rowe free kick.

The second goal then arrived on 62 minutes when a sliding Dixon was adjudged to have handled Newton’s left-wing cross and Parkin found Coton’s bottom-left corner form the spot.

Aidan Connolly, on as a sub, went on to fire wide from 20 yards, while Anderson drove past the near post for the visitors.

On 71 minutes, James Gray drove through the left channel before forcing Coton into a near-post parry, while Morgan-Smith’s header from a Connolly cross was too tame to extend Coton.

But City were 3-0 up on 77 minutes after Gray burst through the right channel and fell to the ground in a heap with Freeman.

Referee Paul Brown signalled for a second penalty and, this time, Parkin blasted into the roof of the net.

Immediately from teh restart, Creaney broke down the middle, held off Law and calmly finished past Bartlett.

In search of his hat-trick, Parkin was then denied twice by Coton, with Connolly unable to make sufficient contact on the ball to beat the away keeper from the rebound after the second chance.

Connolly also saw a deflected opportunity finish wide in stoppage time, as the hosts eased to victory.