PICKERING's Paul Davison is out of the Betway UK Snooker Championship following a second round defeat to Leicester's Ben Woollaston.

Davison, who is currently ranked number 95 in the world, pushed his higher ranked opponent all the way during a marathon session at York Barbican on Sunday afternoon but ultimately fell short.

Speaking after his 6-4 defeat, Davison said: "It is disappointing to lose. It was quite a good standard and just a few flicks here and there didn't go my way. That was probably the difference.

Buoyed by a first-round victory over Gary Wilson, Davison, 45, had been hoping to reach the last 32 of the tournament for the first time in his career.

But Woollaston, ranked 27 in the world and a finalist in last year's Welsh Open, was a stubborn opponent whose safety kept Davison under pressure.

He now plays former world champion John Higgins in the third round.

"It would have been nice to get through and play in the main arena against John Higgins," said Davison. "That's another blow as well as the ranking points, the prize money and not being in the last 32 at your 'home' venue.

"I could have won 6-4 or 6-3 but it just wasn't to be really," he shrugged. " It just didn't go my way in the second half of the match. I had to dig in a bit to get it to 5-4 and I wanted to get to a decider and give myself a chance of winning. It wasn't to be."

Victory would have been worth another £5,000 to Davison whose next game will be at Barnsley Metrodome in eight days' time in the qualifiers for the German Masters.

"I will have a day or two off and then get back on the practice table," he said. "You have no time to dwell on things these days. The events come thick and fast. You have got to get out of your system as quick as you can and get back on the saddle."

Davison had lost the first frame of the game but was leading 2-1 before Woollaston levelled courtesy of a 63 break just before the interval.

He made a break of 54 at the start of the fifth frame but Woollaston responded with a 66 break to go 3-2 ahead.

Davison made his biggest break of the tournament (96) in the sixth frame but missed the final pink to fall short of a century.

World champion Mark Selby, who is also from Leicester, joined the crowd in the sports hall for two frames to offer his support to Woollaston.

It seemed to help the 29-year-old who hit a break of 87 to win the seventh frame 101-0 as well as the subsequent frame 70-0 with Selby in the seats.

The ninth frame was an absorbing affair which stretched for nearly an hour. With only one point separating the two players with pink and black remaining, there was a lengthy game of cat-and-mouse. Davison finally potted the black to make it 5-4.

For the second time in five days, there was a possibility that Woollaston might have to come back in the evening session to finish a game.

All the other seven tables at the Barbican had long since been vacated and a few extra supporters had drifted into the sports hall to catch the finale.

Unfortunately for Davison, he never truly secured a foothold in the tenth frame.

Woollaston sailed into a 67-0 lead with 67 points remaining. Although Davison potted two reds and two blacks to raise the possibility of a re-spotted black, he left his next red over the pocket and duly conceded.

"I am happy to get through. There were a few good frames and a few bad frames," said Woollaston. "It was a big match for both of us, in terms of ranking and finances. He was very sporting. I did a good clearance to go 3-2 up and he tapped his leg which is unusual but nice.

"I will need to play better to beat Higgins but the main thing is I am still in the competition."

Five-time champion Ronnie O'Sullivan cruised into the third round with a 6-0 win over Rhys Clark in the main arena.

Clark's nerves got the better of him and O'Sullivan capitalised in ruthless fashion taking a 4-0 interval lead with breaks of 112, 79 and 82.

After closing out the encounter with a stylish 131 clearance, O'Sullivan remained philosophical about his chances of equalling Steve Davis' record six titles.

"I feel like my form is coming back a little bit but it's not the be-all and end-all," he said. "I'm happy with five but - if another one comes along - I'll take it. I need to be thinking 'I want it' because if you don't have that ambition and drive, you're not going to win.

"There's probably only two or three tournaments that I really enjoy playing in and the rest I'm just going through the motions and hitting a few balls.

Mark Allen made the first 147 break of his career during his second round match this weekend.

The Northern Irishman's maximum came in the seventh frame against Rod Lawler, putting him 4-3 up. He won the next frame to leave him just one away from victory.

It is worth £5,000 from the rolling prize pot for 147s at ranking events, plus a £5,000 high-break prize as long as it is not equalled this week at the Barbican.