POCKLINGTON and York rugby union clubs produced a fittingly entertaining encounter to mark the Nigel Elliot Cup charity game.

In front of a large crowd at Percy Road, hosts Pock ran out 31-26 winners on a day which boosted both profile and funds of the charity PSC Support UK.

Pock skipper Dan Elliot received the Nigel Elliot Cup from his mother, Jane.

Nigel - who was prominently involved with both clubs - last year died from primary sclerosing cholangitis, a rare immune-mediated liver disease. The day, sponsored by Mulgrave Properties, raised £3,700 for the charity.

The match itself was a competitive one, with plenty of strong running and hard tackling, and played in the spirit of a celebration of a respected former coach.

Pocklington struck first with a forwards try as a thundering run and offload by Kym Russell sent Joe Brown crashing over.

They extended their lead when scrum-half David Davison scooted clear from a scrum, half-back partner Dan Elliott provided the link, and lock Connor Allan arrived in support to score.

York got right back into it with their dangerous backs twice getting the ball wide left for guest winger Reece Dixon to sprint over, Liam Hessay converting both.

But Pock took a 17-14 lead into the break as the mercurial Davison broke away again and weaved his way to the line.

Russell muscled over for Pocklington after the break, with Hessay - who, having spent his formative years in one of Nigel's Pock sides, had swapped teams - kicking the conversion.

York three-quarter Sam Elliot, Nigel's nephew, kept his side in touch as he intercepted on halfway and raced clear to score and convert.

Pocklington came again and winger Josh Britton caught clear sight of the try line and powered over, with Hessay again converting.

But as the occasional players started to flag, space opened up on the flanks and York centre George Davies outpaced the cover to cross in the right corner.

That trimmed Pock's advantage to just one score and put the result back in the melting pot, but York's comeback ran out of time as referee Paul Rhodes blew the final whistle.