YORK RUFC made it 14 wins from 14 in Yorkshire One following a 38-15 triumph at Wheatley Hills.

Shane Goulding (2), Liam Hessay, Rob Hodges and Steve Johnson all crossed the line for the visitors after a penalty try had opened the scoring.

Conversions were added by Hessay and Jon Dawes (2).

York were able to select a strong team on their return to action after the short winter break with Joe Maud at flanker, while Johnson, Kyle Consterdine and Daz Rutherford were in the front row and Toby Atkin lined up at scrum-half.

But the Doncaster hosts - belying their lowly standing in the table - were also highly motivated and extremely determined, with popular Hills hooker and captain Sam Kerry starting the game by defending a York attacking lineout before carrying the ball upfield.

The number eight Paul Purnell and blind-side flanker Jamie I’Anson were also aggressive in the tackles for Wheatley, who enjoyed early possession, but York’s defence remained stable.

As the league leaders began to attack, Wheatley second-row Dan Undy was shown a yellow card and, after the Clifton Parkers' scrum collapsed on the line, a penalty try was awarded.

Wheatley might have evened the scores but a penalty, given close to York’s try-line, was reversed for retaliation and the pressure was released.

Instead, Atkin broke from a scrum and zig-zagged ahead before distributing the ball to fly-half Hessay, who touched down, although the conversion was missed.

In response, Wheatley’s front row attacked and, despite being rebuffed, Purnell twisted over the line from short range.

The conversion hit a post, as York still only led 12-5 at the interval.

That advantage was soon reduced to 12-8 after Owen Gillvray kicked a long-range penalty.

The Clifton Park outfit, meanwhile, spurned an opportunity to kick their own penalty, choosing an attacking lineout instead, which proved unsuccessful.

Important interventions from second-rows Chris Fox and Luke Stockton saw the former make a vital tackle and the latter hold up his attacker to prevent him from going to ground.

With the game evenly balanced, rucks were being contested fiercely and supporters from both sides were questioning the ruck entry of the opposition team.

But York got the all-important next try when defenders were attracted through several forward phases and winger Hodges found space in the centres to burst through for a converted try

Flanker Josh Parker was still required to snuff out a Wheatley attack, before number-eight Goulding powered 10 metres to score his side’s bonus-point try and, even though the conversion was missed, York now led 24-8.

More good defending by Maud and Fox repelled Wheatley, but home scrum-half Josh Taylor was able to run in after a loose ball and his effort was converted.

York gave the final scoreline a slightly flattering appearance when they scored twice more in injury time and Dawes kicked the extras.

First, Hodges broke to within a metre of the Wheatley line and Johnson pushed over.

Then, Fox passed to Goulding for his second try.

York’s 100 per cent record will now face its sternest test of the season this weekend with a trip to North Yorkshire neighbours Scarborough, who currently lie second in the table, albeit a distant 13 points behind their opponents.

Boro got their 11th win from 14 outings when defeating Selby 29-17 on their own patch, leaving Selby rock bottom of the table, a point behind Wheatley Hills.