MAN-OF-THE-MATCH George Elliott scored four tries to help Heworth ARLC extend their winning streak to seven matches with a crushing 56-20 defeat of Gateshead Storm.

The Villagers posted five first half tries to lead 26-6 at the break and went on to add six further touchdowns in the second period to run out comprehensive winners in Kingstone Press National Conference League division three.

Four weeks ago, head coach Scott Rhodes challenged his troops to produce the perfect June to match the previous month's 100 per cent winning record - and with no scheduled fixture next week, this result ensures they have done exactly that.

In hot conditions at Elmpark Way, Heworth went in front after six minutes when prop Jonny Cambridge muscled his way over from a tap penalty close to the line and winger Adam Dent knocked over the conversion.

On the quarter-hour mark they doubled their advantage when scrum-half Liam Jackson put fellow prop Joe Fish through for another Dent-goaled effort and, nine minutes later after a good passing movement down the left flank, full-back Elliott notched his first try to make it 16-0.

The Villagers were now on the front foot, but an eagerness to play their familiar style of expansive rugby led them to force the ball too much and a number of scoring chances went begging before the Storm hit back on 33 minutes with a try by centre Michael Mitchell. Loose-forward Zach Clark converted and home stand-off Ben Dyson-Dent was sin-binned for an incident after the try was scored.

Heworth, though, responded immediately with Elliott's second effort from close range and, right on the stroke of half-time, second-rower Fergus Chapman broke away on the halfway line and handed on to Jackson, who drew the full back and found centre Gareth Watson in support to race away and touch down under the posts. Dent added for a 26-6 lead.

The Black and Whites went straight back on the attack in the second period and, after only four minutes, second-rower Joe Deighton looked to be stopped by a number of attempted tacklers but somehow broke away to score.

On 48 minutes a superb long cut-out pass from Jackson put Watson in for his second try and seven minutes later some impressive handling led to Elliott crossing for his hat-trick, both of which were goaled by Dent.

It was all one-way traffic now and, straight from the kick-off, Heworth worked their way downfield and Chapman burst away on the final tackle to touch down and put them out of sight at 46-6.

Gateshead responded on the hour mark with a try by wingman Ashton Turner before, on 65 minutes, Dyson-Dent snapped up a loose ball from an opposition knock-on and sped away to score. Cambridge added the extras.

Dyson-Dent was the provider for Elliott's fourth try with six minutes remaining, sandwiched in between some uncharacteristic sloppy defending which allowed the Storm to close with touchdowns for substitute Aaron Harlow-Stephenson and a second for Mitchell, one of which Clark converted.

A weakened Heworth 'A' were overwhelmed 86-12 by a strong and experienced Milford 'A' in NCL Alliance Group. The Villagers' points came from Chris Borwell and Jonny Marwood tries, allied to two Rhys Bailey conversions.