YORK Acorn made it two wins out of two on home soil as they overcame a spirited youthful unbeaten Stanningley side, when running out worthy 36-22 winners in NCL Division One.

The Leeds side started the contest like a house on fire and a feature of their game plan throughout was to get off the floor quickly and put the Acorn defence on the back foot at every opportunity.

This worked to their advantage on eight minutes, when their lively stand-off Niall Murphy's quick feet from a quick play the ball saw the supporting Steve Welton finish off in style when going over near the posts for a six-pointer, thanks to a successful conversion attempt by winger Liam Copland.

At this point Acorn were finding it hard to contain Stanningley's forward momentum, but fortunately they managed to keep their try-line intact during this period.

Gradually Acorn, with stand-off Anthony Chilton producing a quality kicking game, got their attack on the front foot. Eventually it was Stanningley's defence that was under pressure and they cracked on 16 minutes, when Acorn capitalised on a superb Anthony Chilton 40/20 - that saw them engineer an opening from where second rower Matthew Woods cut back on the angle to go in for a try. Chilton's conversion attempt was successful.

Acorn hit the front not long after when, on 19 minutes, a piece of individual magic from their scrum-half Lewis Brown saw him kick the ball close to the try-line, then re-gather before scoring a try which Chilton goaled.

On the half-hour mark, Acorn moved into a 14-6 lead when Stanningley were penalised for a play the ball offence. Chilton slotted over the resulting penalty.

Things got better on 33 minutes, when centre Jordan Potter showed real grit and determination to crash over for a try, goaled by Chilton to give the blue and golds a 20-6 half-time lead.

Acorn started the second-half strongly and moved into a 26-6 lead when, on 46 minutes, livewire hooker Lewis Lord darted over from close range for a try goaled by Chilton.

With forwards Adam Endersby, Matthew Woods and Jordan Hyde proving to be willing runners, Acorn's purple patch continued on 54 minutes, when Chilton sent over a towering crossfield kick which was plucked out of the sky by substitute Josh Thompson. He evaded several would-be tacklers before plonking the ball down for a try goaled by Chilton that put the hosts 32-6 in front.

Stanningley breathed life back into their chances on the hour mark when centre Ryan Taylor crossed for a try which Copland added the extras to.

Acorn prop forward Tim Stubbs crashed over from close range on 66 minutes to put more daylight between the two sides at 36-12.

Stanningley refused to go away and hit back although a little fortuitous on 70 minutes, when a knock on in the build-up was missed by the officials. Taylor was on hand to score his second try to cut Acorn's lead to 36-16.

The visitors capitalised on more quick play the balls to further reduce Acorn's lead to 36-22 when second rower Jack Sykes went over for a converted try which Copland once again added the extras to.