CITY of York Hockey Club Men I fought back to beat Timperley 2-1 as they registered back-to-back league wins for the first time this season.

Mike Carter and Al Cockram were on target to help City shore up sixth spot in the North League premier division ahead of Formby with the home win.

Timperley were faster out of the blocks and their pressure on York's back line soon told when a visiting striker fired a half-volley into the top corner.

But City - after making some substitutions - were soon on level terms as Tom Feasby slung a speculative aerial to an eager Carter in the final third, and Carter guided the ball home after playing a deft one-two with Adam Hunter.

Although it was a fairly scrappy affair, City felt they had the better of the rest of the first period, and another goal followed late in the half. From the second of two consecutive short corners, Carter supplied the ball to Al Cockram who flicked it past the keeper into the net.

The second half was gritty and very open but York held out largely due to some fantastic goalkeeping from Rob Levy, including one memorable save from a powerful drag flick towards the bottom right corner to deny Timperley's leading goalscorer.

City II remain sixth in the Yorkshire League premier division despite a 3-2 defeat at Rotherham.

Zack Pierson scored a brace for division one strugglers City III in their 3-2 home defeat to Sheffield Hallam IV.

In division two, City IV won 4-0 at Sheffield Hallam V thanks to Chris Wilson's double alongside goals from Ben Foster and Matt Todd.

Acomb I are still sixth in the tier following a 6-2 home thumping of bottom side Rotherham II.

The Tangerines' defence helped keep the first half tight as the visitors failed to capitalise on their numerous penalty corners.

And with five minutes remaining of the first half, Matt Dickenson struck from Acomb's first penalty corner to give them an interval lead.

After the break, Dave Richardson netted from close range before Rotherham equalised after Craig Brown had made a good diving save.

Jamie Robinson netted from Dickenson's sharp free hit following a foul that earned Rotherham a green card. Robinson added two more for his hat-trick and Dickenson bagged his second.

City V lost 4-0 at Scarborough in division three.

In division four north, City VI lost 3-1 at Ben Rhydding IV, with John Barrett scoring, and City VII lost 1-0 at home to Ben Rhydding III.

Acomb II won one and lost one of their weekend home double-header, going down 3-1 against division five north table-toppers Airedale II 3-1 before beating Boston Spa IV 2-1.

The third-placed Tangerines fell behind early against Airedale, who netted from some neat work in the middle, before falling further behind to a short corner.

John Forecast reduced the arrears before the break but an Airedale counter-attack five minutes from time sealed it.

Acomb took an early lead on Sunday as Rich Luscombe cleverly finished from David Brown's through ball.

The Tangerines' dominance paid off again in the 24th minute when Ant Daley finished well into the roof of the net before Boston nicked one with 10 minutes remaining.

Fellow division five north outfits City VIII and City IX had their Saturday games postponed. Fourth-placed City VIII won 4-1 at Driffield III on Sunday thanks to a Luke Harbord hat-trick and James Gilbert's strike.

Men's Development north division leaders City X had their game postponed.