CITY of York Ladies I remain seventh in North Hockey League division one following mixed results in their fixture double-header.

In their first game, City were 3-0 home winners over strugglers Leeds Adel but, in the second, they lost 4-1 to high-fliers Newcastle University.

Ali Couttie was first on the scoresheet against Adel with a right-hand post deflection from a short corner, before Emily Gee fired a penalty into the top-right corner after she had been been fouled.

Bel Howells-Lee got the final goal as she finished off a good passage of build-up play.

Buoyed by this victory, City started the stronger against Newcastle, moving the ball well and pressurising the visitors' defence.

Hannah Smith put the hosts ahead with a powerful reverse hit, but Newcastle were soon level from a short corner.

The visitors proved irresistible in the second period as they stepped up their game and netted three goals.

City of York Ladies II earned a much-needed Yorkshire League premier division win over Brigg after some late drama.

Issie Rees-Davies struck in the first 15 minutes, and it remained 1-0 until Brigg levelled with seven minutes remaining.

However, with two minutes to go, Vicky Skilton made it 2-1 with a strike from a short corner.

Laura Jakeman was player of the match.

City of York Ladies III took another step towards division one safety with a hard-fought 1-1 home draw against Skipton.

Despite missing several players, City had the better chances in a goalless first half, although Skipton posed a threat on the break.

City held their shape better after the restart which allowed their full-backs, including player-of-the-match Phoebe Raynor, to push forward. The added width eventually paid off as the ball fell to Wil Linden to tuck home.

However, Skipton stepped up the pressure and, with eight minutes to go, the ball pin-balled off a number of feet in the City 'D' before dropping kindly to a Skipton stick for the equaliser.

City of York Ladies IV lost both of their division two fixtures 4-0, firstly at home to Thirsk II and then away to Leeds Adel III.

Despite York's good defensive and attacking play, Thirsk proved the stronger side and were two goals up by half-time. They continued their powerful work in the second period. City had three short corners late on but could not find the net.

City of York Ladies V were held to a 0-0 draw by clubmates and division four north bottom side City of York Ladies VI.

Playing on wet pitch, the V team soon assumed control, although the VI team did mount a few breaks which called the defence into action, protecting keeper Cara MacKay's net.

The V team's efforts on goal went in vain thanks to solid defending and good goalkeeping from their former shot-stopper Abi Tugwell.

Division five north strugglers City of York Ladies VII conceded their game at home to Leeds V before their rearranged home fixture against Harrogate V was called off because of a frozen pitch.