THE York Minster Engineering League Senior Cup took centre stage this week - and it did not disappoint with goals, penalty shootouts and shocks.

Performance of the third round ties went to Easingwold Town after their win on spot kicks at Wigginton Grasshoppers - following a dramatic clash.

After a fairly even first half-hour, Town - who have won promotion from division one to join Wiggy in the top flight - began to grow into the game and were well on top for the middle section of the match either side of half-time.

The pressure on the Wigginton goal finally paid off when Joe Crosby put them ahead on the hour mark.

Wigginton, who have finished third in the premier league after lifting the title last year, were now on the back foot and a failure from their back line to clear the ball allowed Josh Cryer to smash home a volley from 10 yards.

Within minutes it was three, Crosby firing home from the right and leaving keeper Michael Clancy with no chance.

Easingwold's third goal finally stirred a response from Hoppers, who laid siege to the visitors' goal for the majority of the remaining 15 minutes.

Their pressure was repaid when Jordan Holt drove the ball home from the edge of the box. Tom Warrington in the Easingwold goal then had to be at his best to deny Harry Clapham and Neale Holmes before Clapham finally found the target, sending home a lofted ball from Holt.

With plenty of stoppage time played, Wigginton pressed forward once again and Clapham headed the ball goalward. The defence made every effort to clear, but the referee adjudged the ball to have crossed the line and the tie was level.

The final whistle heralded penalties and justice was done on the night when Cryer fired home Easingwold's final spot kick to move them into the semi-final after a 5-3 victory from 12 yards.

Dunnington will be Easingwold's opponents on May 8 following their own shootout success at Huntington Rovers.

After a goalless first half, Rovers took the lead with time running out when substitute Jon James met a brilliant ball into the box to power home a drive.

A free kick in the final minute of stoppage time gave Dunnington a late equaliser.

Despite saves from both keepers in the shootout, Dunnington's shot-stopper came out on top, saving Rovers' final penalty to secure a 4-3 Dunnington victory.

Old Malton St Mary's had no problem with Hemingbrough United, putting five past their opponents without reply.

The premier division champions' win means they are now still in the hunt for the treble as they face Church Fenton in the York FA Senior Cup final at Tockwith tomorrow.

Old Malton's opponents in the League Cup semi-final will be Copmanthorpe, who overcame a determined Rawcliffe team 2-0. Free-scoring Ben Jones bagged a goal in each half to put guide Cop through.