THE final day's action in the York Minster Engineering League premier division focused largely on who would finish third behind runaway champions Old Malton St Mary's and runners-up Church Fenton.

Dringhouses started the day in that spot but the St Helen's Road side could only manage a point from their game at Poppleton United.

Kevin Luke headed the hosts in front with James Green getting a late leveller for Houses.

That result left the door open for Thorpe United and Wigginton Grasshoppers to climb up to third and it was Hoppers who did so after a hard-fought 3-2 win over their rivals in treacherous conditions.

Jordan Holt opened the scoring from 45 yards to put Wigginton 1-0 ahead before Mike Braithwaite produced an exquisite curling effort from the edge of the box to level matters.

With barely 60 seconds gone and half-time looming, Jamie Green made it to the Thorpe byline and squared the ball for Gary Newton to tap home and give Wigginton a 2-1 advantage at the break.

Sam Gough then produced a pinpoint finish to make it 3-1 to the away side before another spectacular effort from Braithwaite rounded off the scoring.

F1 Racing ventured to Huntington Rovers for their final game and took the lead after 20 minutes, Adam Tiffany producing a deft header to glance home Liam King's precision free-kick.

F1 then saw a penalty spectacularly saved by James Edmond but their lead was eventually doubled when Oli Kilvington tucked away the second just before half-time.

F1 resisted an early spell of pressure from the hosts and went further clear after a fine solo effort from Kilvington before their front line missed a host of chances to extend their lead.

Chris Dyson pulled one back for Rovers as they pressed to try to gain something from the match but they were denied three times by the woodwork in the closing stages.

IN division one, Rawcliffe had the prize of a play-off for promotion to the premier league at stake in their game with Cliffe and they duly bagged it with an impressive 7-2 victory.

Louis Howarth netted twice in their win with John Gothard, Dan Moll, Jordan Bean, Paul Branscombe and Danny Coulson also finding the target.

Rawcliffe have now finished third above Tockwith and will face Sporting Knavesmire - who finished second bottom in the premier division - in the play-off on Thursday, May 9 (6.45pm), at Huntington Sports & Social Club, the ground of Huntington Rovers.

Haxby Town rounded off their season with a 4-1 victory over Heworth. Adam Chaplin, Adam Douse, Dan Clipston and Kyle Varley all bagged for the home side.

Easingwold Town, who are already promoted to the top flight, put five past Riccall without reply.

MALT Shovel moved to within two points of automatic promotion to division one, and four points of leaders Stamford Bridge, as they continued their impressive late run of games with a 4-0 victory over The Beagle.

Deacon Brace scored twice, with Jack Morris and Kyle Latham also hitting the target.

Bubwith White Swan slipped to a 5-2 loss against already-relegated Clifford.

THE only game to take place in division three saw Wombleton Wanderers give themselves a huge chance of promotion with a convincing 9-2 victory over Helperby United.

Wanderers, who joined from Ryedale's Beckett League last summer, now need a point from their final game with Elm Park to secure division two football next season.

DUNNINGTON ended their reserve 'A' season with a 3-1 victory over Hemingbrough United, a win that maintains their six-point lead at the top of the table.

Andy Rose (2) and Fin Smith struck the hosts' goals.

Dunnington must now await the result of Thorpe United's final two games as their rivals have a superior goal-difference and will be crowned champions should they manage to overcome both Poppleton United and Huntington Rovers.

Thorpe showed every sign they were still challenging for the title after beating Osbaldwick 5-0.

Old Malton St Mary's winning run came to an end with a 4-2 home defeat by Church Fenton.

Darren Wilson hit a hat-trick for Tadcaster Magnets in a 4-1 success over F1 Racing in reserve 'B'. Henry Copley struck the home side's other goal. Malt Shovel rounded off their league season with a 3-1 triumph at Wilberfoss.

Brooklyn defeated Heworth 9-4 in the final game of the season in reserve 'C'.

THERE are still many midweek games still to be played in the York Minster Engineering League, including the quarter-finals of the Senior Cup this Wednesday.

Heworth have been set a giant-killing mission as they travel to premier division champions Old Malton St Mary's, while old foes Huntington Rovers and Dunnington lock horns once more at Huntington Sports Club.

Wigginton Grasshoppers host Easingwold Town - who will be playing top-tier football next season - while promotion-seeking Rawcliffe get a taste of top-flight opposition when Copmanthorpe travel to the Recreation Ground.